Posts by HunterTarantino

Yes, Coming to America was massive, but compared to Murphy's early run, it doesn't have the same punch. And I do credit it with being the end of his golden age and the beginning of the 90's Dark Ages of one piece of shit after another (Bowfinger and the very underrated Metro get a pass though). By Eddie Murphy Raw, you could see in his material that he knew his ego was building. He was too big to fail. He builds to talking about fame in a way that isn't self-aware or...
It didn’t fully click for me at the time, but the scene where Jack Black’s scrawny assistant tosses a corn on the cob through his rival’s eye turned me red from laughing. Still does.Napoleon Dynamite has one moment, too, that still elicits a ton of laughs on my end: the bit where he tosses an orange at Uncle Rico’s van and they get into the flinchiest, most stumbling fight ever.Jon Gries plays that scene like a fucking genius.
Leviathan is kind of an important thing for me. It's a B Action Thread classic. Killer cast, great one-liners, and Weller's pre-kill one-liner for the monster is an all-timer. Seriously, it's one of the better Alien/Aliens/Thing derivatives.   DeepStar Six DeepStar Sux.
 It's a testament to Elvis that Nic Cage and/or Keanu almost always factor into his casts, and no matter what happens, they fit in really well. Anyway, awards time! HunterTarantino's Casablanca Awards (That Aren't Given to Myself) Best Overall: BooneBest Straightforward: HypnoToadBest Concept: Judas (HBO Series)Best Revisionist: AxelBest Rick: Hugh JackmanBest Ilsa: Gugu Mbatha-RawBest Laszlo: Chiwetel EjioforBest Renault: N/A (Seriously, every single one of the chosen was...
Feel free to admire or vomit at my synopsis in the supplement thread.
Tidbit from an Academy Q&A:   Tom Ford cited Robert Towne's 1988 film Tequila Sunrise as an influence on the film, notably the dynamic between Rick, Ilsa, and Laszlo, and styling Rick's suits and slicked-back hair off of L.A. Lakers coach Pat Riley, who Kurt Russell modeled his character's look on in that film.   Co-writer Mike Drew Flynn championed the film further as "the Casablanca of the 80's... you've got a love triangle, and Raul Julia is Laszlo, which is why I...
The only "stolen" pick for me was Willem Dafoe (good job Tyres, seriously!), but I was toiling between him and Keaton for Strasser. He was also a Renault consideration before I decided to reinvent the character as smooth narcotics officer Lou Renault, ACPD, alias T'Challa.
A plot summary from a review:   "When I was a kid, I saw a movie on television," Rick Blaine (Ryan Gosling) begins the film over a closeup of a TV showing the original's opening shot of the globe. "There was a guy talking about how complicated it was to get out of Europe and live the glamorous life away from the Nazis. I bought into the concept right away. When the movie was over, I knew that was how I wanted to live my life. But I didn't know what kind of commitment I...
Tom Ford's Casablanca closes the 2019 AFI Film Festival to mostly positive reviews (although Variety guts the film, as do The Los Angeles Times and an F grade from The AV Club), with a decent 80 Metacritic. It polarizes audiences, but drums up almost $250 million worldwide against its $60 million budget.   Golden Globe Nominations: Best Picture - Drama Best Actress - Drama - Vicky Krieps Best Supporting Actor - Jimmi Simpson Best Original Score - David...
 If it was set a few years earlier, then Moroder DEFINITELY would've been on that.