Posts by jestudious

Put me in the "bummed that this apparently blows chunks" crowd.  You can chalk that up to fond memories of the original Pirates of the Caribbean.  By no means is it perfect, but it's a bloody fun adventure yarn with old school sensibilities, and the Lone Range seemed as good a vehicle as any to replicate the charm of that movie.    ...and yet, I'm still kind of hoping that enough of Depp's fanbase turns out for this to be considered a success, although that's only...
I'm genuinely surprised (in a good way) that they went with something that draws so heavily from the 60's era Julie Newmar costume.  The classic look melded to Nolan's real-world aesthetic isn't entirely successful - I would trade the goggles for something more practical than stilettos - but still, much better than our first look at the character which left me thoroughly underwhelmed.
Another one that I don't think gets the kind of recognition that it deserves:   58. My Favorite Year (1982) d. Richard Benjamin   "Jews know two things: suffering, and where to find great Chinese food."   "Damn you! I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!"
I was sure that the whole masked vigilante sub-plot in The Dark Knight was at least in part to set-up Catwoman in the sequel.  I mean, if you had copy-cats dressing up as Batman, why not have one take it a step further and create their own persona, especially after Batman's fall from grace.  Seemed like a perfectly good excuse to have someone running around dressed like a cat.     But even if they're going to eschew the Catwoman persona altogether, I still wish...
Because if I didn't say it, no one else would:   27. The 'burbs (1989) d. Joe Dante   "In Southeast Asia we'd call this kind of thing bad karma."   "I've never seen that. I've never seen anybody drive their garbage down to the street and bang the hell out of it with a stick. I've never seen that."
Yikes, can't say I'm a fan.  I figured they would tone her outfit down, but take away the Bat-Pod and this could be a screenshot from any of a dozen action movies coming out next year.  Would seem to confirm the rumors that Selina will be less a villain and more an anti-hero/sidekick.  That I'm on board with.   HBO's been running The Town which reminded me how much I was hoping Nolan would go with Rebecca Hall for Catwoman.  I can live with Hatheway, though.  
  Pretty much sums up my reaction as well.  I just can't muster up enough geek juice to extrapolate anything on the basis of this picture's minute details (His hair! His expression! The texture of his suit!)    I'm torn on this one.  On the one hand, the cast is downright incredible.  That, plus Snyder's eye married to Nolan's grasp of story and character suggests we may be in for something special.  On the other hand, all of Snyder's films have been well cast and I still...
The predictions I've seen all seem to have Apes opening somewhere in the mid $40s which seems awfully high to me.  The film is apparently pretty smart and engaging and the effects are supposed to be spectacular but you wouldn't know it from the trailers.  The trailers, the ones that I've seen anyway, make it look like a pretty generic entry in the cautionary science fiction sub-genre and while the shots of Caesar by himself do look pretty impressive, whenever there are...
Holy crap, I had that Robin action figure.  I feel old.  Sorry for the derail.  Carry on...
Cap's performance doesn't surprise me.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays internationally, but domestically, what with all the dour political and economic news, it seems like the mood is right for a movie that gives us Americans a reason to feel good about ourselves.  Having said that, I suspect the Avengers association also helped.  I don't think it's a coincidence that first Thor and now, it would seem, Captain America are on track to outperform the summer's...