Posts by Engineer

After a long week I had some time to watch something and I chose a dollar DVD purchase I made a few weeks back, Brain De Palma's MISSION TO MARS (2000).  I'd seen it before, both in the theater and on DVD back when it was released to home viewing, but not since.  Of course I remembered key elements like the Sand Vortex, the final scenes and the death of a certain key character, but had also forgotten almost the entire first act, that Don Cheadle and Jerry O'Connell were in...
 Art FilmTerrence Malick's THE TREE OF LIFE (2011)...  That movie tore my heart out, squashed it, re-inflated it and then put it back.   Mass Audience FilmQuentin Tarantino's THE HATEFUL EIGHT (2015)...   I can't decide: it's either lucky and overdone or total, simple narrative brilliance.  I really can't fault it for a thing. ClassicWilliam Wyler's BEN-HUR (1959)...  Hadn't seen it in decades until maybe a year ago but the full widescreen blu-ray was so gorgeous it was...
 Looking forward to hearing more of your noir adventures.  Especially just having watched Rafelson's POSTMAN not long ago myself. That is a wacky bunch of films collected there.  I think I might have actually seen ICE but remember nothing about it but the videobox/poster art.   
I'd play the hell out of this if i had it.  I mean, I still have a blast playing the first ALIENS VS PREDATOR game for PC from Fox/Requiem back in 1999 on Steam.  In fact, that old laptop picture that I posted up here the other night shows this.  The old compy now has DEUS EX, STAR WARS: ROGUE SQUADRON, RACER and BATTLE FOR NABOO on it.  So far they're working well and I'll be loading in several more if I can, so it will be nice to have a dedicated, though ancient, "gaming...
Thinking about SCROOGED (again) and realizing that there are seemingly a lot of parallels between Frank Cross and what Donald Trump was and would eventually become.  Black suit, red tie, crazy hair, mean spirited, peddles fear to the masses on television...  Can we get confirmation that Murray based his character on ol' DT, at least in-part?    
Looking forward to a revisit.  Always liked it.  
Finally broke down and bought SCROOGED on blu from Amazon.  In my research, I found that there was at one point a special edition planned for 2006 -- The Yule Love It! Edition, no less -- but was cancelled without explanation...   "The problem is that back in August 2006, Paramount Home Entertainment announced a new, improved Yule Love It! Edition DVD for Halloween release. This was more than mere rumblings. Cover art was shared and the following all-new extras were...
Speaking of Connery the other day, I just revisited Michael Crichton's THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (DVD).  It's still fun, if a little light on action.  I didn't realize that OCEAN'S ELEVEN borrows from it, right down to a line that Connery shares with Clooney.  The best stuff is the adventure stuff of the final act, though there's some fine bawdy humor earlier in the film.  It's one of those films that is never my first choice of something to watch, though it does what it...
Trying to teach an old laptop old tricks...