or Connect

Posts by Rockley

God I love being a turtle.
  Paul Verhoeven's Hollow Man People don't really talk about it when they talk about Verhoeven, but I think this movie is awesome. It has that schlocky, darkly humorous Verhoeven touch, inventive special effects, and a great creepy central performance by K. Bacon. And an invisible gorilla!  
I thought it was a hot mess. It was exciting, the stakes were high, and it was quite funny, but it also felt a bit muddled and punch-drunk. It seemed somehow that everything had been shot in a medium or close-up shot and then scrambled together in the editing room. Overall, though, I was entertained.   Some spoilery thoughts...   - Trevor was the best thing in the movie. I'd like to see a spin-off movie about Trevor.   - However I understand the disappointment...
Mars Attacks!     Although it eventually just managed to make back its budget, it was considered a bomb, especially when compared to the other alien invasion movie of that summer, Independence Day. But I love the movie - the black humor, the Martians themselves, and the great performances from Nicholson, Pam Grier, and especially Sylvia Sydney as Grandma. She's great. Also, where else will you see Sarah Jessica Parker's head transplanted onto the body of a...
So the movie is really gearing up, huh... One thing I'm interested in is whether they will update the look of the dinosaurs to fit with the contemporary knowledge about their appearance. For example, it's now known that velociraptors likely had feathers     And after the discovery of the Yutyrannus tyrannosaur, paleontologists think that even the TRex may well have been feathered.       Personally, I hope they update the look. For one thing It would...
I just saw the Life of Pi, and for better or worse I think the movie would have been really different had it just told the story of the young Pi straight, without the bookends of the older Pi. Some people seem to hate the bookends in this movie, some seem to like them...it got me thinking about the bookend device in general...it can be quite a divisive one. Can you think of bookends that have really made a movie? Or really killed it? And can you think of unusual...
The Twilight series. The movies are so bad I have to imagine that they are taking the piss out of the books.
Totally agree with that....like 'After Hours', or something like that. In fact the movie was originally planned to be a straight up comedy starring Steve Martin.In his biography Kubrick, Michael Herr writes: “Stanley thought it would be perfect for Steve Martin. He’d love The Jerk… I know that his idea for it in those days was always as a sex comedy, but with a wild and somber streak running through it.”
The last word ever spoken by a character in a Stanley Kubrick movie was 'fuck'.     Alice 'But...I do love you. And you know, there is something very important that we need to do as soon as possible.' Bill: 'What's that?' Alice: 'Fuck.' I love the movie, and I love the line. It's a funny, simple contrast to all the ambiguity and unreality of Bill's adventures. And for all the line's anti-romance, it's kind of touching in a weird way, coming as a...