Posts by Belloq87

Is there really a consensus that this has been a remarkable year for movies?   I'm looking over how my Top 10 list is shaping up at this minute (with many of these awards contenders yet-unseen, granted), and I'm not more impressed than the last several years.  In fact, with the exception of DUNKIRK and GET OUT, I'm not sure any more of my current 10 would have made last year's list, or even 2015's.   Perhaps things will look drastically different in a month, when I've...
I've just scanned the nominations, and nothing feels particularly unexpected or exciting.  The overall road to the Oscars does feel pretty wide open at this point, which I appreciate, but it's hard to muster up much enthusiasm for anything the HFP puts out there.  They remain a joke.   Reading the nominees does remind me that I've got a lot of work to do in order to catch up and see all the relevant contenders.  Given that almost all of them - outside of the BIG movies -...
I like all three segments of CREEPSHOW 2, but "The Hitchhiker" is my favorite.  It's just delightful. 
Everything in the real world looks fantastic.   Everything in the Oasis… not so much.  I get the intention is not for it to look photoreal, but it looks completely like animation to me.   The little BACK THE THE FUTURE jingle at the very end did make me smile, though.
That's really just a sweeping statement of Princess Leia's theme, though.  Hardly a spoiler to say that we're going to hear her theme again.   Also, I can't imagine Rian Johnson asking Williams to do a note-for-note redo of that moment.
Interesting what these guys have to say about the score.  Lots of thematic references to A NEW HOPE, and they couldn't discuss further without spoilers. That's odd.  Maybe they misspoke and they just meant references to the Original Trilogy more broadly; there are no themes from ANH that could possibly be spoilery to talk about... but there is a theme from RETURN OF THE JEDI that could be...
I saw this one back when it opened in the first half of the year, and it's stayed with me since.  I think Assayas could have used maybe 10% more overt genre trappings in the film, but overall it's a pretty haunting experience.  I even thought it was a bit giallo-inflected with that texting plot; it doesn't fully go there, but there's definitely that creepy idea of being stalked and manipulated by somebody unseen.  And I think Kristen Stewart is just terrific in the movie. ...
"You may not feel how you want to feel..." That makes me leery!
Interesting that they're pushing him for Actor, rather than Supporting.
Yeah, if you're making the decision to kill Kirk, how you don't have him go down with a proverbial ship is beyond me.