Posts by jhp1608

axel's draft is near perfect - the twin advantages of uncompromising thematic focus and excellent casting. I like my take for a more conventional update - the idea of Leo and Kate coming back for this seemed to be a simple way to sell a more straightforward adaptation - and I felt lucky that a lot of my choices, Jean Dujardin being the biggest loss as Renault, were available.    Well done, axel. No dishonour in, as seems likely, losing out to your draft, chum.
Definitely a pattern emerging...   Do you think it's a cry for help?
 Or students of the Western classical canon...
 I would love to know whether the basis for this is playground name calling or a knowing application of Homeric epithet. Is he demonstrating some vestigial memory of learning about "swift Achilles", "long-suffering Odysseus" or "cow-eyed Hera", or just remembering how good it felt when he called that kid "Four Eyed Freddie" at kindergarten?
 Exactly. It's a great time to be telling this story, as Banks wrote it. Unfortunately, it also has the potential to be presented as a more Manichean argument, which fits the modern world's tendency to tar lots of things with a brush that should be wielded with more finesse. They may have been better off starting elsewhere, allowing the thematic stuff to seep in in order to set up the audience for a more thematically front loaded entry like this one. Still, as Rian Johnson...
 Arjen, I think you put a good draft together, but I struggled to get past Christina Hendricks as Ilsa. Pitt and Schreiber made excellent choices for RIck and Victor, but I've never seen Hendricks convey the kind of "Well, of course you would make a deep romantic sacrifice for her happiness" quality that Bergman had. It's a tough ask, because there are many things Meatloaf would do for her, but I personally didn't buy that he would also do that. Goldblum as Renault is a...
Hell, yes.   Yet...   I'm not sure I would have started with this one if I were thinking of a series of Culture adaptations. I love the book, but it has some pacing issues and the introduction to the Culture and the Minds is oblique compared to the more confident approach he took later.   I also hope they don't simplistically present it as a good versus bad guy scenario, or the individual versus the collective. Even thought Phlebas isn't his prime cut, Banks was...
Obviously it’s the two Inspector Morse episodes on his resume that have sealed the deal.
I was just about to use the Googles for that very purpose. Thank you kindly.