Posts by Flynn Keaton

Playing Outcast: Second Contact, the remake of the 1999 game. Still loving it. It certainly doesn't compare to modern triple A games (could have been smoother if the Kickstarter campaign had not failed), it's a bit buggy, controls are bla, voice acting could be better, but the fantastic score, world graphics, and exploration are all still sweet. I like how it doesn't take you by the hand, for example never bothering to explain the tech equipment you find.   I mean it's...
Most generic target audience product of the year: American Assassin, which may be based on a series of books, but comes off as completely uninspired dollar bin fare (Keaton is good though and I did like Brien in Maze Runner) Worst "look at this highbrow arthouse" movie: The Bad Batch, a few interesting aspects in a drawn out borefest Worst movie that actually ended up pretty good and entertaining, considering what was expected: Monster Trucks, Power Rangers, Sandy Wexler,...
I guess before you can talk about the movie itself, we gotta address the Salva thing first. Here's what I think: he did a sickening sex crime in the 80s but in contrast to many others actually confirmed it and served his time, then apparently never had another situation for 29 years. I never want to meet the guy, but if we gonna tolerate Polanski, and in the future possibly Kevin Spacey, it should be kind of possible to discuss the work of this guy - unless there'll ever...
Overall, I have the same opinion as Shape. It's pretty much harmless middle-of-the-road fare. Not really good, not really bad. If you like the series, the new traps and deadly choices are delightful. Clousers re-interpretation of his earlier score shines an interesting new light on it, and the two leads are passable. Still, It's not as good as 1, 2 or 6, so if you only liked those, or not even the first, this is not worth your time. What doesn't work? The Spierig bros go...
What's really amusing is the way they add more and more reasons for Jigsaw to do all of this.   In 1 he says he is a cancer patient and wants people to appreciate their lives. In 2 he says he tried to kill himself after his diagnosis and that made him come up with the tests. In 4, we find out that his wife was pregnant and lost the child when a drug addict pancaked her. And in 6, we see that an health insurance denied him a promising therapy, making him angry.
Sorry i just marathoned all of these, so it's still fresh. 3 and 4 happen at the same time, then 5, 6, and 7 are basically the next chapters (with a LOT of prequel flashbacks everywhere. For example 7 opens with the end of 1 and shows how the doctor helped hiding keys etc inside people).
5 and 6 were pretty much just Hoffman vs his police buddies. 7 as well, but the final scene showed Dr Gordon (now evil)(and overweight) with two masked helpers.The female apprentice Amanda died in 3, same moment as Jigsaw. His wife also knew stuff later on but that didn't go far. 6 ends with her putting Hoffman in the Reverse beartrap, but he survives it with a ripped open cheek. Then 7 ends with Hoffman putting her in it, and she isn't that lucky.
 Yep, but unless he has been resurrected or has a secret twin brother he will only show up in flashbacks (as in IV, V, VI, and 3D).
So, the most beloved horror movie franchise starring a 70-year-old is back and hey, it's not a reboot or remake, not even a prequel. While both TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D (which tried to be a weird sequel to its original) and LEATHERFACE (which tries to be a weird prequel to its original) tried to start something new each, the Saw series just shrugs and decides to just continue its convoluted storyline 7 years after Saw 3D.   Kramer is still dead, obviously, but there's a new...
A new Dungeon Keeper.