Posts by MrTyres

I don't visit this thread often, but I saw this article on Facebook and all I could think was...Bradito? https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/a-serial-dine-and-dasher-keeps-leaving-blind-dates-with-the-dinner-bill-in-la?utm_campaign=trendsus&utm_source=munchiesfbusads
Played "Vast" and "Unfair" last night. Vast is a kickstarter game where everyone is playing a different game on the same growing board. So, one player plays the hero Knight, whose job it is to explore the cave, gaing grit and weapons to destroy the Dragon. Basically a DnD player board. The second player plays the Goblins in a worker placement style game of cards and pieces, whose job it is to destroy the Knight. The dragon player is attempting to wake up by eating goblins,...
I just started watching this. I am digging it. The telenovela aspect is well played in an Arrested Development type way. This show is much too sweet, but I am enjoying it. Only on the fourth episode of season 1, but I am laughing in the right spots and enjoying the characters.
I cannot put Game of Thrones on a top 10 list. That first season was great, but it has spun some wheels hard and made some questionable choices character wise (Book reader, but the choices are television related).   Any list without Justified or the Wire cannot be called a list.   But then again, anyone who puts Lost on this list deserves to be eaten by a smoke monster polar bear going to a parent teacher meeting in a timeline where Betsy DeVos hasn't instituted a...
  While it is an interesting read, I cannot say that education and hospitals are immune from capitalist influences. Most of my evidence is local to Tennessee, but I cannot imagine it is much different in other places. The State of Tennessee signed a 5 year 108 million dollar contract to an educational testing program to create and score achievement tests, used to both score teachers and schools. When that failed, rather than cancelling the tests and the contract, Tennessee...
I thought your name was a beverage, Agents and 77s.   I didn't know what it was, so I assumed you were British.
 The only real response to this is probably Zak Handlen's 2011 AV Club recap... I could quote it in selected pieces, but really... you have to read the entire thing for it's amazing break down. Man, I miss those reviews. 
I love Dave Eggers, and the idea is interesting, but this novel is a giant pile of shit. I, too, finished it just to see how of the rails it would go. It isn't a YA novel; it just feels like one. It wants to be a techno thriller, but he can't maintain tension in the novel and there is a bull shit mystery which is clearly telegraphed from way out. Its meowmeowbeanz, corporate big brother, body cams, and a Google cult, wrapped into a boring shell as we watch our protagonist...
  Would I rather spend more time with Deborah Anne Woll? Yes. Will Elden Henson's pale, fish-white flesh do as a substitute? Not really. But when he is fully clothed and keeping Matt on task? I like him. It has been a while since I have run through this thread, but I really feel it is a Skyler-style hate. Foggy is grounded and reminds Matt that he is ignoring the important bits while rushing head long into danger.
  They mostly spiral out after that. Basically every novel has him advancing closer and closer to the presidency.  I enjoyed Cardinal of the Kremlin and would kill to see the actors from the Americans as Mary Pat and Ed Foley. There is a healthy amount of neo con wish fullfillment going on in the books, but it is still driven by character archetypes. If you cut most of the technological passages, which quickly become outdated, you could have some decent stories.