or Connect

Posts by MrTyres

I think more intense. In part because they laid the groundwork pretty hard in the previous two films about Spock and Uhura's relationship. Plus, you would have a ton of fans presuming to speak for Nimoy because he isn't here to say one way or the other. The previous two films don't discuss Sulu's orientation at all, so I am perfectly fine with him being gay. It literally hasn't come up.  As a school teacher, I have known a few students for a couple of years, only to be...
My AP Junior American Literature Course can't go three days without hitting a Biblical reference. I had a Chinese student complain once because he had no background knowledge on all the references in Grapes of Wrath. I sympathized for a moment, then told him to get out his cell phone and look them up like the other students who, though WASPish, were just as uneducated in that aspect. I start the year with Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible and end with Raisin the the Sun. We...
So, I am in Denver for a teaching seminar. It is announced during out afternoon session that Donald Trump had decided to speak to the Western Conservative Conference. Roads are getting shut down, police and protest presence will be high. The news echoes across the silence of the hall. Then from the back... Boooooo. There is quickly talk of making protest signs and throwing eggs. A clamour ensures. Now teachers, as a whole can be a mixed bag, politically. You hear about...
FTFY 
Yeah, MSNBC scroll says Leave has a 1.1 million vote lead. Some foreign editor talking head in Paris says French politicians are worried about France and the Netherlands pulling a similar referendum in a year.
Nigel Farage, leader of UKIndependence Party, just said he wanted Europe to be friends, to trade openly, to be military allies...but he just pushed to topple the EU. Nigel Farage: "Get rid of the Anthem, flag, and Brussels. Bruges can stay; it's a fucking fairytale place. Have you seen the clocktower?"
    My buddies and I were having a conversation about Brexit tonight. One guy, a young'n exclaimed "Why should I care about Europe?"  The rest of us wiser folks shook our head and talked him through the economic repercussions on America, never mind Europe. So, just like in Airplane, I will say it a second time.
I am with Just Ancient and Anyawatchin on this. Julian Castro hasn't done enough. After graduating law school in 2000, he returns home to San Antonio and runs for city council in 2001. He had started planning before he graduated college, despite having spent years in California and Massachussets; but hey, 7000 people out of the 11000 people who voted in his district liked him, and it doesn't hurt that his mother is incredibly well connected politically in San Antonio, that...
 Funny you mention this... http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/make-america-white-again-tennessee-candidate-faces-boycott-over-trump-inspired-racist-billboard/ http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/32277324/make-america-white-again-campaign-sign-causing-controversy-in-polk-co   He will never win the 3rd Congressional District of Tennessee (my district! yea!) as an independent because the Republicans have this district locked down, and he isn't from Chattanooga. Surprisingly, he is...
The Tyres Broadcasting Corporation is proud to present... As Mrs. Leech...Ms. Miranda Hart.