or Connect

Posts by Ambler

I actually don't think it has a lot to do with wall to wall blockbusters, but the fact that people have a lot more options for their entertainment/time wasting now (not to mention the talking/texting and expensive tickets/concessions forcing people to wait for the home version), so unless a movie is TRULY special, its not going to have the legs to make it profitable. Wall to wall blockbusters have been a thing for a very long time, but declining profits has only been a...
There was a major article a little while back that said blockbusters were on an overall decline in terms of profit. These bad years are deceptive, because it seems like things will pick up next year, etc, but this is a trend that isn't going away. At some point in the near future blockbusters are literally going to STOP being profitable altogether, which is probably the implosion everybody laughed at Spielberg for predicting. It just won't happen in one summer as he...
When trying to build a brand, having lots of people hate your products isn't a winning business strategy. It needs $750-$800M to break even. Anybody see it getting there without legs? Remember, their flagship character movie BvS could barely crack $800M.Toxic word of mouth is seriously crippling these movies ability to make the kind money studios expect for these kinds of films, and build a brand like Marvel has.WB flipping out after the BvS debacle by bringing in...
Front loaded as usual. Won't have legs. How's that shared cinematic universe plan working out for ya WB?
It was the nerdist podcast if anyone's interested.
It being insulting wasnt really the point since technically he was correct. They are her biological grandparents. It was insulting to people who couldn't see past a technicality. Shit happens. But he must be fired obviously for being a monster.
Its funny... The day after I wrote my Amblin comment (and mind you I was merely guessing based on the evidence), I listened to an older podcast with Kirsten Dunst where she called Midnight Special "like an Amblin movie" SO THEREEEEE!!#%@!!@1
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/08/al-trautwig-apology-simon-biles-parents/88402048/ Can outrage culture just die a thousand deaths? Pretty please...
The Amblin comment was more of a throwaway term used for this recent crop of films/TV inspired by that generation (hence 80s/Amblin) and it's fantasy mixed with reality vibe. Nichols is clearly an Amblin baby. The kid in Midnight Special starts getting sick from expelling his powers/being disconnected from his "peoples", an E.T. reference. The mother abandoning the kid is a role reversal from Spielberg's stuff, etc...
Fortunately, before the internet, people's stupidity was fairly limited to their own social circle, or misplaced uproar about controversial elements in a movie or show gained little traction as talking points. Unfortunately we don't live in that world anymore. I'm still trying to figure out what gains the internet's emergence have been worth the Mt Everest sized pile of shit that's followed it. People say social media, and I say "nonsense"...as I don't see much benefit...