Posts by Ambler

I'm not sure why that's an assumption given that it's still a giant tentpole franchise.  Those movies are about scope, not people in rooms talking for the majority of the run time.  Paramount isn't going to shovel a bunch of a money into a movie that doesn't have planet hopping, a bunch of action and shit blowing up.  As was said, QT isn't writing it, just contributing the basic idea.  It will still be a Hollywood written script.  He may contribute some polishes, but the...
 He wrote a couple speeches.  I think it was the Silver Surfer stuff and the Lipizzaner Stallions.
 Tarantino isn't writing it.  They're hiring a scribe to script his idea while he's dealing with his Manson film.  I'd be far more worried if he were writing it, because his writing really doesn't fit Star Trek, like, at all.  I'm interested in his take purely as a director interpreting a more studio friendly script.  But I'm still skeptical of the whole thing as some weird experiment that will just further fuck up the franchise.  Paramount must REALLY be desperate if...
  It comes from this weird need for external validation.  Just being us isn't enough.  We need to project fantasies of being "special" through other people/dieties, whatever.
Tarantino sums up my exact feelings about this movie before it came out:  
 Things like this tend to change over long periods of time.  I think this was a definite tipping point in shattering the illusion of celebrity to a certain extent, but the problem is women tend to be more targeted when it comes to celeb worship with the gossip rags, fashion magazines, boy bands, etc.  And that hasn't really been affected.  I think the main area that's been affected is just all around bad behavior in that industry. Another issue is celebrities are...
 You will often see me scoff at the idea of being upset with a celebrity whenever they do something bad, especially those who can't seem to watch their work anymore. The reason I do this is because my relationship with famous people is very clear.  It's of a transactional nature and nothing more.  They are not my friend.  I don't care about them beyond their ability to entertain me, because I don't know them, no matter how many interviews of them I've consumed.  We don't...
  Officially greenlit to series.
 I liked it alot.
To put it more succinctly, these original stories work because of the specifics of the plot.  The universe is just there as a kind of generic backdrop, because it's about outer space and outer space is huge.  It keeps the main story from feeling like its operating in a vacuum.   But beyond the Skywalkers/Kenobi/Yoda, lightsabers and the force, the Star Wars universe is just as generic as any other sci-fi universe if you really look carefully.  Even lightsabers themselves...