or Connect

Posts by Ambler

It's almost a running joke that (alot of) Asians don't like people of color.  I don't see how anyone can look at the modded poster of TFA with a shrunken Boyega and have any doubt as to the attitudes of the country and that it just might be affecting box office.  In America and the rest of the world, SW is too popular for people to resist it, no matter who is cast.  But I don't think it was ever very strong in China, so...
 I wonder why you perceive this as an "anger bandwagon".  We're not talking about an actor making a lame joke on twitter and people overreacting.  
 So what we're doing is splitting hairs to justify why the Academy doesn't nominate brown people.  I get it. My point is, in any given year there are dozens of white people that deserve attention in both acting and technical categories, there's usually plenty to choose from (hence all the "snubs").  There aren't as many minorities, so if your goal is to play to wide audience and continue to earn street cred with diversity, why white wash the entire ceremony?  It's all...
Other awards/nominees that I didn't see get much of a push beforehand (that I can remember, purely anecdotal):   Matt Damon (people liked the Martian, but was he such a standout people were talking about Oscar for him?)   Mark Rylance   Rachel McAdams   I'm sure there are others.     I do remember Michael B Jordan being talked about for Creed as a possible contender on various blogs and movie sites.  Same with Elba.  I mean, was Damon all that much better than...
 The Academy seemed to have no problem nominating Stallone.  The only white guy in a movie about brown people.  So I don't really understand the whole "they didn't push hard enough".  Creed in general was barely pushed at all, and Stallone got a nod.
I mean at least with genre films you have a solid argument that outside the technical categories, they usually aren't as good as the dramatic stuff.  And when they are, they tend to get nominated.  With the race thing, they're not genre films generally, so there's no reason for them to be excluded, when Hollywood does it's best to include stuff in a favoritism manner... none of it is really about what's "best" per se, but what looks good to a wide audience.  And most of...
Hook is probably Willaims' best stuff outside of E.T., Star Wars and Raiders.
It just isn't a very memorable "Star Wars" score, because most people are trying to find reasons to like it, rather than just liking it, and trying very hard to remember the music.
 I think the issue was most of these are barely themes, but mostly vague, generic motifs that aren't even memorable.  Only Rey's theme is anything approaching a comprehensive theme.  Poe's "theme" isn't much of a theme, but more like adventurous flying stuff.  Kylo's "theme" sounds like generic bad guy music.  March of the Resistance is decent, the Jedi steps... meh, I can barely remember it. I can't hum a single one of those from memory, and I've seen the film 3 times and...
 Yes, when they stop being insufferably, exclusively white.  In an industry that has plenty of high quality minority 'product', you don't think it's weird they regularly exclude them from nominations?  Especially when the industry has a history of blatantly white washing their films, which they themselves know is a problem? Well, of course it's not weird for people who don't suffer socially from discrimination, but I have no idea what race you are, so I can't speculate.