or Connect

Posts by The Rocka-Who?

Yes!  I bought a copy of the recent re-print.  If you and your group like backstabbing and aggressive land grabs, then this game is for you.  It is definitely not for those who take it personally when you go after them or their territories as it can definitely lead to some hurt feelings, but the strategy is deep and the theme is great.  I’ve played it a few times with my brothers and we've really enjoyed it.  We’re ultra-competitive with each other, so it really brings...
Finished China Mieville's Railsea last night.  I see the term "world building" around here a lot and this book had that in spades.  I've seen a lot of Moby Dick comparisons in the reviews I read, and that's apt, but only as a launching point.  The book is equally funny and exciting and I couldn't recommend it more.  
Wasn't the idea that the Smith program's only function was to completely take over the entire Matrix?  Once Neo allows Smith to assimilate him, Smith's function is complete, and he's essentially destroyed for being useless.  Something like that.  It's been years, but I think that was the gist of it.
Munich came out at a time when its themes felt so urgent and immediate that I had trouble shaking it for weeks.  That last image was seared into my mind.  For my money, it is one the best when it comes to dealing with post-9/11 themes. 
  Yeah, pretty much all this.  Don't forget the ban on federal funding for stem cell research.  As someone who comes from a family with a history of Alzheimer's, this pisses me off to this day.     I grew up in a very conservative home (to this day my mother has a shrine to her GOP favorites -- W, Palin, and Ronnie -- hanging on a bulletin board in the kitchen), so I always considered myself a republican without really known why or what that meant.  It is really thanks...
Not reading the comics I bought because they, like, were totally going to be worth a fortune if they stayed in their plastic baggy.   The new trailer looked good to me.  I still can't believe this is coming out in a few months.  Absolutely surreal.
I've enjoyed Lemire's work on Animal Man and Frankenstein, so I'll have to check out JL Dark.  I tried out the first few issues, but felt completely lost and dropped it.  It seems like a great concept, though.   I feel like I've settled on a nice set of 2-3 issues a week, which I usually pick up every two weeks or so.  My standouts have probably been the two Lemire books, Snyder's Batman & Swamp Thing, and Stormwatch, which has had this goofy tone, and really had a...
  During the last season or two of LOST I was convinced that they were riffing on the Dark Tower.  I certain that Desmond was playing the Roland role and that the castaways were going to be on an endless loop until he was able to set something straight, perhaps saving Charlie.   Anyway, I didn’t read this series until after they were all published, so I didn’t suffer the incredible waits between books.  I can’t say I love the last three, but they don’t bother me as they...
Thanks to Jacob's incredible generosity, I dove into this for a couple hours last night.  I picked a Dark Elf, found a bow and a mace, and went exploring.  I found myself caught up in the theft of a golden claw and, despite not wanting to get involved in other people's business, found myself clearing out a temple of undead looking creatures to find this trinket.  I learned to craft and smithe a few things, harvested some herbs, and shot a fox with my new nord...
Skyrim came last night.  A million "thank you"'s Jacob!  This is amazing!