or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › Eddie Murphy's Delirious question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eddie Murphy's Delirious question

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
What did that one audience member yell out that cracked Eddie up so much? I watchedthat part 3 times and could never make it out.
post #2 of 15
Woman: "Do Mr. Rogers"

Man: "Shut up, bitch"

*just re-watched it two days ago, still one of the funniest movies ever
post #3 of 15
Every time I watch Murphy nowadays, I lament the fact that he stopped doing stand-up. When you see Delirious now, it's such a shame to see what he was back then to the shit he's putting out today.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Awesome.
post #5 of 15
me and my girlfriend watched this for the first time a few weeks back. we too rewound and rewound trying to make it out (eventually we worked it out).

if you watch the very softball interview on the disc, its interesting to see eddie morph from "eddie murphy - family entertainer" at the start, to "eddie murphy" later on when more questions focused on delirious are asked. fuck, what the hell happened..
post #6 of 15
My favorite stand up disc of all-time, mainly because it has special significance to my highschool years, but also because it is still so god-damned funny even today. Yeah, the AIDS/gay jokes are dated, but its hilarious to hear what people actually thought about those things back then. Plus, the Mr. T and Honeymooner jokes are fucking aces. The other thing that's great about Eddie's act is how well he can tell a story. I know alot of people who think the family BBQ story is the weak part of the act, but it's my favorite bit. Eddie's alcoholic dad, Aunt Bunny falling down the stairs, Goonie Goo Goo...all comedic gold.

While Raw is funny, it had Eddie after his meteoric rise to fame as a movie star and he seemed so jaded. Delirious, on the other hand, was Eddie just starting out and being truly amazed that people were there to see him talk about shitting in the bathtub. I just love his innocence and glee. Man, I'm gonna have to watch this again soon.

Also, in addition to the "Mr. Rogers" bit, for the longest time I had no idea who Eddie was talking about when he joked that the fish stopping swimming when they showed up. Turns out he was talking about the band that opened the shows -- The Bus Boys.

Thanks for starting this thread, Patrick. I love this film!
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
Woman: "Do Mr. Rogers"

Man: "Shut up, bitch"
"Y'all didn't know I was a ventriloquist, did you?"


This is really funny timing that you asked this, Patrick. I was on a road trip yesterday and listened to Delirious. I also rewound that part like 5 times and couldn't figure it out. Thanks, Bill!
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva
My favorite stand up disc of all-time, mainly because it has special significance to my highschool years, but also because it is still so god-damned funny even today. Yeah, the AIDS/gay jokes are dated, but its hilarious to hear what people actually thought about those things back then. Plus, the Mr. T and Honeymooner jokes are fucking aces. The other thing that's great about Eddie's act is how well he can tell a story. I know alot of people who think the family BBQ story is the weak part of the act, but it's my favorite bit. Eddie's alcoholic dad, Aunt Bunny falling down the stairs, Goonie Goo Goo...all comedic gold.

While Raw is funny, it had Eddie after his meteoric rise to fame as a movie star and he seemed so jaded. Delirious, on the other hand, was Eddie just starting out and being truly amazed that people were there to see him talk about shitting in the bathtub. I just love his innocence and glee. Man, I'm gonna have to watch this again soon.

Also, in addition to the "Mr. Rogers" bit, for the longest time I had no idea who Eddie was talking about when he joked that the fish stopping swimming when they showed up. Turns out he was talking about the band that opened the shows -- The Bus Boys.

Thanks for starting this thread, Patrick. I love this film!
I don't really see Raw as a jaded Eddie Murphy, I think they're both fantastically funny.

As for people who think the BBQ is the weak part, that's just stupid. I was sure that it was going to be the ending of the show. Eddie Murphy, as a comedian, may lack the kind of sharp intellegent insight of people like George Carlin or Chris Rock, but as a performer, he's among the best of them. That BBQ part is only a showcase for such talents.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll
I don't really see Raw as a jaded Eddie Murphy, I think they're both fantastically funny.
Agreed, but which leather jumpsuit do you prefer?
post #10 of 15
RAW is like ANOTHER DELIRIOUS.

"Tito, give me a tissue..."
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
Agreed, but which leather jumpsuit do you prefer?
RAW.

I think my favorite line in the whole thing is:
"There's a sale on underwear but this nigger's dick is in my coffee."
"Want me to stir it for you?"
post #12 of 15
I always thought the chick was yelling "Take your shirt off!"
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll
I don't really see Raw as a jaded Eddie Murphy, I think they're both fantastically funny.
I can appreciate Raw now, but when I first saw it in the theater I was hugely turned off by a lot of the jokes. Eddie spends a lot of time complaining... about gold digging women, Bill Cosby, etc. Additionally, alot of Raw is self-referential bits about people's reactions to Delirious. It just doesn't have the same feel as Delirious, which I find infinitely watchable. Raw, while funny, doesn't have the same replay value for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll
RAW.
Really? Purple leather jumpsuit over the red?
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva
I can appreciate Raw now, but when I first saw it in the theater I was hugely turned off by a lot of the jokes. Eddie spends a lot of time complaining... about gold digging women, Bill Cosby, etc. Additionally, alot of Raw is self-referential bits about people's reactions to Delirious. It just doesn't have the same feel as Delirious, which I find infinitely watchable. Raw, while funny, doesn't have the same replay value for me.
Agreed. Excepting the "what have you done for me lately eddie?!" bit, Raw is nowhere bear as good as Delirious.
post #15 of 15
I've always wanted to see a movie done of the characters from the BBQ. The uncle building the fire, aunt Bunny and of course, the 'goony goo goos.'

RAW isn't as good. I agree, it's mostly him bitching and moaning. I've seen it once and have no desire to see it again. Although the bit about the 'house burger' is funny.

I saw an interview where Ed said he wants to do stand-up again. I think for him to gain some crediability back, he needs to, BH Cop 4 won't do it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Films in Release or On Video
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › Eddie Murphy's Delirious question