CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE CHEWERS › The Chewers Catch-All › Chewers' Pets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chewers' Pets - Page 20

post #951 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
Scraps was a half starved, year old runt when I adopted him from a shelter.  Took him nearly a week to stop hiding under couches or behind furniture.  Been healthy and happy for about a year.  Had to kennel him while on vacation, and I think he thought he was going back to a shelter.  Been completely traumatized for like three days now.  
 
Here's my son trying to cheer him up in his hiding hole by giving him his two very favorite things to knock off tables; a cellphone and legos.  

post #952 of 989

Scraps's siblings were eaten by a raccoon.  He was small enough to fit in a tiny area behind a shelf in a toolshed and managed to survive.  Mom then abandoned him and he survived by meowing for scraps (hence the name) in the neighborhood until someone called animal control on him.  

post #953 of 989

Holy shit. That's awful. I'm glad to hear he has a home now!

post #954 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 

Holy shit. That's awful. I'm glad to hear he has a home now!

 

He's doing alright.  Very friendly, despite all that happened!

 

Every once in a while though, I can see him going into flashback mode.  Kind of like this dog:

 

post #955 of 989
Poor thing! Glad he has you. I know we talk a lot of shit on these boards but if you care for your animals you're OK by me.
post #956 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Poor thing! Glad he has you. I know we talk a lot of shit on these boards but if you care for your animals you're OK by me.

 

Well, thanks!  I certainly enjoy venting on the internet, though I imagine it's rough around the edges at times.  

 

Scraps's condition in the shelter was pretty heart-breaking.  Seemed like he doubled his weight in only a week or two after I picked him up.  Still undersized, but a lot healthier now.  For such a friendly kitty, it was obvious that people were not kind to him.  I was pretty worried about kenneling him, and now I'm afraid my fears were justified.  He's cowering in his hidey holes.  

 

:(

post #957 of 989
Fuck everyone forever who mistreats animals. I know we eat them, wear them and make them carry our burdens both physical and psychological but the affair can have some reciprocity and dignity.
post #958 of 989
Any Sith Lord who takes in a stray cat is okay in my book.
post #959 of 989
El cat in imperious mode.

post #960 of 989

The Joffrey of cats. 

post #961 of 989
These wee beauties weren't pets per se, but for a while they were my neighbours. These were shot while I was living on an island in the Amazon, near Belem in Brazil, in 2008. I know they're common in many parts of the US and to you guys who live in South America, but to a boy from Aotearoa living amongst them was a thrill and a half.


Edited by Bucho - 10/4/17 at 2:38am
post #962 of 989
Nature is wonderful, but NOPE.
post #963 of 989

I will join you in your NOPEness. 

post #964 of 989

Any CHUD cat owners out there with allergies or know people who have allergies, and have any advice about cats? Other than, don't get one? 

 

I'm seriously mulling getting a cat for my son, but putting aside my intrinsic distrust of felines, my major issue is that whenever I am around cats I get seriously wheezy and itchy eyed and the rest. I've done some research into "hypoallergenic cats", and arrived pretty quickly at the conclusion that describing cat breeds as such is specious, if not misleading. I'm thinking Russian Blue or Siberian, nonetheless, because they look nice and if there is even a chance they might make me react less, I'll take it. None of those hairless things though - Jesus.

 

Any thoughts or insights? Should I just lump it and start researching the long term effects of daily anti-histamines, rather than bothering looking at the allergenic characteristics of the animal itself? 

post #965 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

Any CHUD cat owners out there with allergies or know people who have allergies, and have any advice about cats? Other than, don't get one? 

 

I'm seriously mulling getting a cat for my son, but putting aside my intrinsic distrust of felines, my major issue is that whenever I am around cats I get seriously wheezy and itchy eyed and the rest. I've done some research into "hypoallergenic cats", and arrived pretty quickly at the conclusion that describing cat breeds as such is specious, if not misleading. I'm thinking Russian Blue or Siberian, nonetheless, because they look nice and if there is even a chance they might make me react less, I'll take it. None of those hairless things though - Jesus.

 

Any thoughts or insights? Should I just lump it and start researching the long term effects of daily anti-histamines, rather than bothering looking at the allergenic characteristics of the animal itself? 


My wife is allergic to cats, but it definitely varies depending on the cat. Our cat that died last year made her life hell for a while. If he brushed up against her face, she'd get swollen and red for a couple of hours. However, our other cat has never bothered her. She mostly learned to stay away from the other cat when she could and she was ok. She has pretty crazy allergies as it is, so I'm sure the occasional Claritin helped.

 

And don't discount hairless cats completely! They are surprisingly soft. I mean, I get it -- I don't think I could get one, but I have a friend with one and it's a pretty neat cat. I was seriously blown away by how soft it was.

post #966 of 989
Thread Starter 

Is raising hairless cats animal cruelty? I'm kinda wondering.

post #967 of 989

Most likely. Not unlike teacup versions of dogs, or munchkin cats.

post #968 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

Any CHUD cat owners out there with allergies or know people who have allergies, and have any advice about cats? Other than, don't get one? 

I'm seriously mulling getting a cat for my son, but putting aside my intrinsic distrust of felines, my major issue is that whenever I am around cats I get seriously wheezy and itchy eyed and the rest. I've done some research into "hypoallergenic cats", and arrived pretty quickly at the conclusion that describing cat breeds as such is specious, if not misleading. I'm thinking Russian Blue or Siberian, nonetheless, because they look nice and if there is even a chance they might make me react less, I'll take it. None of those hairless things though - Jesus.

Any thoughts or insights? Should I just lump it and start researching the long term effects of daily anti-histamines, rather than bothering looking at the allergenic characteristics of the animal itself? 

Hairless cats are naturally occurring, not some orthopedic experiment gone wrong.

Look at how cute!

https://imgur.com/9FbTuQ8.gifv
Edited by Overlord - 10/4/17 at 10:21am
post #969 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post


Hairless cats are naturally occurring, not some orthopedic experiment gone wrong.

Look at how cute!

https://imgur.com/9FbTuQ8.gifv

9FbTuQ8.gifv


As I understood it, hairless cats could show up from time to time, but were not an actual breed until recently as they were selectively bred.

post #970 of 989
I know a lady with a couple of them. Perfectly healthy, cat-like cats.
post #971 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 


As I understood it, hairless cats could show up from time to time, but were not an actual breed until recently as they were selectively bred.

 

Yeah, that's true, but I mean ... there's nothing unhealthy about a cat being hairless (they just get cold more easily).  Unlike breeding cats or dogs with truncated or unhealthy spine/skull/leg features.  

 

Plus, they are so majestic:

 

post #972 of 989

No. No hairless cats. No. No. I appreciate they are soft. But no, still. 

 

Besides, unless they don't lick themselves clean, don't pee, and have plastic skin, I don't think it will help entirely. 

 

Might go for one of these little fellas, though.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
 

 

Yeah, that's true, but I mean ... there's nothing unhealthy about a cat being hairless (they just get cold more easily).  Unlike breeding cats or dogs with truncated or unhealthy spine/skull/leg features.  

 

Plus, they are so majestic:

 

 

Like I said. No.

post #973 of 989

Well that's just totes adorbs.

post #974 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 

Well that's just totes adorbs.

 

Sounds like you want more hairless cats!

 

 

This guy doesn't like Stranger Things:

 

post #975 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post



This guy doesn't like Stranger Things:



I'd be in good company!
post #976 of 989

I've been looking for an excuse to share this.  Perfect opportunity.

 

 

To baldly go: Gina the Sphynx cat is a born winner

post #977 of 989

Jesus.  Ridley Scott should have just used a bunch of those cats as neomorphs.  Job done.

post #978 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post
 

Jesus.  Ridley Scott should have just used a bunch of those cats as neomorphs.  Job done.


I can't allow Nowhere to one-up me on posting hairless cat photos!

 

 

Also, Scraps is back to normal after half a week of moping around.  He loves close-ups!

 

post #979 of 989
Quote:

I can't allow Nowhere to one-up me on posting hairless cat photos!

Was that an intentional diss?!?  I'll have you know, I have an endless supply of these courtesy of my cousin on facebook:

 

 

 

Quote:

Also, Scraps is back to normal after half a week of moping around.  He loves close-ups!

 

Adorable.

post #980 of 989
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

 

Also, Scraps is back to normal after half a week of moping around.  He loves close-ups!

 

 

And glamour shots:

 

post #981 of 989
This guy loves your kitty pics! Keep em coming!



Yum!
post #982 of 989


Good morning.
post #983 of 989
Thread Starter 

Out of rep, Kyle, but I'll be back. I like that little pinhole on his/her nose. If you stick a paper clip in there does s/he eject a disk?

 

Some days I really need this thread.

post #984 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post
 

Out of rep, Kyle, but I'll be back. I like that little pinhole on his/her nose. If you stick a paper clip in there does s/he eject a disk?

 

Some days I really need this thread.

 

Nothing like a good cat photo to make your day.

post #985 of 989
I still haven't found his SD card slot. He arrived without a box or manual.
post #986 of 989

Scraps is over Halloween season.

 

I am desperately looking for a "before adoption" picture so I can depress ya'all.  Skin and bones and meowing piteously while cowering.  Now, King of the Den. 

 

post #987 of 989
Thread Starter 

That's one cool cat.

post #988 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post
 

That's one cool cat.

 

He doesn't always scratch up furniture.  But when he does, he prefers the sofa. 

 

Stay thirsty, my friends.  

post #989 of 989


"Here's ma tits n ma test"


La Mu keeping it classy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Chewers Catch-All
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE CHEWERS › The Chewers Catch-All › Chewers' Pets