or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › ARTS & LITERATURE › Books and Magazines › Crime Fiction Thread 2.0.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crime Fiction Thread 2.0. - Page 57

post #2801 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanW View Post

I had an idea for a movie about two competing detectives, one was a Holmes-esque detective and the other was a Charlie Chan type detective, they both had female assistants who were the real genuises. I guess that's why I'm not writing scripts in Hollywood.
 

That sounds fun, though I'd trash the smarter partners angle. That's played out. Equals is much more interesting.

 

Now if they were both the muscle ass-kickers of their partnerships...


Edited by Cameron Hughes - 1/28/13 at 7:34pm
post #2802 of 3062
Thread Starter 

Admittedly, I've never read Charlie Chan. Should I?
 

post #2803 of 3062

I don't know, I've never read any either, it was just an archetype to work from. I wanted to have a rivalry between the two detectives and they both had female assistants who were the muscle (as it were) one was a martial arts expert, the other was ex-army and a brawler or something, I dunno, it's been awhile since I've thought about it.

post #2804 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanW View Post

I don't know, I've never read any either, it was just an archetype to work from. I wanted to have a rivalry between the two detectives and they both had female assistants who were the muscle (as it were) one was a martial arts expert, the other was ex-army and a brawler or something, I dunno, it's been awhile since I've thought about it.

Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin might work better as the other team.

post #2805 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanW View Post

I don't know, I've never read any either, it was just an archetype to work from. I wanted to have a rivalry between the two detectives and they both had female assistants who were the muscle (as it were) one was a martial arts expert, the other was ex-army and a brawler or something, I dunno, it's been awhile since I've thought about it.


Speaking of a female ass-kicking (but beautiful) lesbian partner, Tim Maleeny's Cape Weathers books are really pulpy fun. Greasing the Pinata has a blurb by Don Winslow

 

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/eyes/cape_weathers.html

post #2806 of 3062

The first book's also free on Kindle.

post #2807 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

The first book's also free on Kindle.

I don't have a Kindle, out of stupid stubbornness and I love the feel of a physical novel too much. For those that do, I recommend it. Great use of San Francisco, one of my favorite noir settings. Much more interesting than Los Angeles.

post #2808 of 3062
Some more details on the Harry Bosch TV show. Looks promising. CITY OF BONES is one of the better Bosch books, and I'm glad Connelly is insisting it's filmed in LA:

http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2012/11/bookmarks_michael_connelly_tal.html

We're definitely gearing this toward cable sensibilities. We're not even sending it to networks. We're talking about a 10 to 12 episode season that tracks one or two books. Our idea for the first season is to track "City of Bones" and part of "Concrete Blonde." "Concrete Blonde" has a courtroom drama playing out as a B track in it, and we're taking that B track and adding it to "City of Bones." Definitely something like HBO, AMC, something like that.

wouldn't make a deal without certain approvals. People in Hollywood would say there's no way you can get those approvals and I'd say fine, then there's no way you can have Harry Bosch ... Harry Bosch, he is L.A. So you cannot shoot it in Vancouver. I would not make a deal unless it was contractually agreed-to that every shot would be filmed in Los Angeles. That was a no-brainer from the aspect of these stories and this character but in Hollywood that was not a no-brainer. It was a hard-fought battle but I got it. I have script approval and so forth.
post #2809 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Hughes View Post

Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin might work better as the other team.


Ian Fleming once suggested a collaboration to Rex Stout that would have had Bond and Q paired with Wolfe and Archie (in one of the Bond books, Q and Bond discuss the Wolfe novels, pronouncing them  "readable") in an adventure, but Stout turned down the idea: "Bond would have got all the girls."

post #2810 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Hughes View Post

I don't have a Kindle, out of stupid stubbornness and I love the feel of a physical novel too much.

 

Virtually every e-book user I've ever known, myself included, felt pretty much the same before we actually got one.

 

For me, the shift was driven by a daily work commute of 90 minutes each way on public transportation: the convenience and portability (particularly the ability to instantly access a bookstore or any of several public library systems) was a huge factor. I actually began e-reading on my Windows Phone, and eventually graduated to a Kobo e-reader for the larger screen, though I still do read on both devices.

 

I've never left physical books completely behind (my favorite gift this past Christmas was the first two volumes of the complete reissue of Walt Kelly's Pogo), but I do find myself with even more opportunities to read now that I can just pull a book out of my pocket almost anytime I have a few minutes to spare.

post #2811 of 3062

I have found the two don't have to be exclusive.  I love my Kindle; but if I form a strong bond to a book, I'm definitely getting the physical copy.  And the books I've read dozens of times and will read dozens more before I die - well, can't beat the convenience of the Kindle.
 

post #2812 of 3062

I ordered Ross MacDonald's The Moving Target a few weeks ago and now it's arrived. I know you're a huge MacDonald fan Cameron and I really liked MacDonald's non Lew Archer novels so I'm looking forward to reading it.

 

I saw this collection of Four Just Men books by Edgar Wallace, are they worth reading?

post #2813 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanW View Post

I ordered Ross MacDonald's The Moving Target a few weeks ago and now it's arrived. I know you're a huge MacDonald fan Cameron and I really liked MacDonald's non Lew Archer novels so I'm looking forward to reading it.

 

I saw this collection of Four Just Men books by Edgar Wallace, are they worth reading?


I have no idea.

 

MacDonald never wrote a bad book, the best being The Chill, and the series ends on a pretty hopeful note with The Blue Hammer.

post #2814 of 3062

Another tidbit that I won't link, since it might eventually turn up as News, but it's being reported that Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace will be in the film adaptation of Tom Rob Smith's Child 44, written by Richard Price, directed by Daniel Espinosa, produced by Ridley Scott.

post #2815 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb View Post

Another tidbit that I won't link, since it might eventually turn up as News, but it's being reported that Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace will be in the film adaptation of Tom Rob Smith's Child 44, written by Richard Price, directed by Daniel Espinosa, produced by Ridley Scott.

Espinosa made Snabba Cash. I haven't seen it, but hear it's good. The book, Easy Money, is excellent, it reads like a Scandinavian L.A. Confidential, but all criminals. But he also made the stunningly mediocre Safe House with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds. It wasn't bad, just kind of there and inoffensive and bland. Maybe Ridley Scott sees something in the guy, maybe his Snabba Cash movie is great. He hasn't made enough movies for me to have an opinion on the guy.

 

I'd cheerfully give up a finger for Rian Johnson to do it. Child 44 is a big story, but still pretty small scale with more tension, mood, and atmosphere than action.  Not wild about Rapace, but Tom Hardy is always welcome, and he's a good age. Young enough to change his ideals, but old enough to be a believable WW2 vet and MGB officer. Man, Friedkin in French Connection mode would kill this bad boy. At its heart, Child 44 really is just a rogue cop movie, except Leo isn't a scary fascist like Dirty Harry and is actually on the side of the angels in a very scary time and place.

post #2816 of 3062
Thread Starter 

Just got back from Gangster Squad with Don Winslow. We both wanted to see it, the trailers made it look stylish and fun and we both love that gangster era.

 

Hoo boy, if there hadn't been four other people there, we would have heckled it, especially the Chinatown scene that took every stereotype in the book like constant firecrackers going off to make sure we knew it was Chinatown, MSTK3 style. The dialogue is just so awful. We knew it wouldn't be Ellroy, but we wanted something fun, and we were entertained, but for all the wrong reasons. Everyone gives career worst performances, Gosling has this weird, high pitched nasal voice, Nick Nolte is hilariously bad as Chief Parker and Penn sounds (and kind of looks like!) like Pacino in Dick Tracy. It's a huge waste of an amazing cast, including up and comers like Michael Pena, who we think would be a great Adan Barerra in Power of the Dog (This movie, by the way? Steals that book's ending with Brolin and Penn having a fist-fight in a fountain). Emma Stone is sexy as hell and does okay as a gun moll, but she's also woefully mis-cast.  Also funny is that it's 1949 and there's a black guy and a Mexican guy on the squad (named Navidad, or in English,"Happy.") and no one bats an eye at this.

 

On the bright side, many of the scenes and dialogue ("Who's the tomato?" )were hilarious, but we still came out wishing we were watching The Untouchables, which played with history too, but knowingly and entertainingly so. Will Beall, I know you can write, I've read L.A. Rex!

 

They took a very interesting time and story and made a badly made cartoon. Hell, a biopic of Mickey Cohen would be great. He converted to Christianity in prison and spent the last several years of his life as an evangelist. Made us appreciate Boardwalk Empire and other well-made gangster stories so much more, think I'm gonna pop in Miller's Crossing tonight to cleanse my brain and give it a treat for enduring that.

post #2817 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Hughes View Post
and Penn sounds (and kind of looks like!) like Pacino in Dick Tracy.

 

I've been saying that since the first trailer! Ooof, I was a little curious (honestly, 'cause of Penn's hamming up the trailers), but guess I'll skip it at the neighborhood 2nd-run.

 

....And now I'm going to take a few breaths and think about just, you know, catching a movie with Don Winslow. And not going all Chris Farley Show on him.

post #2818 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav McGee View Post

 

I've been saying that since the first trailer! Ooof, I was a little curious (honestly, 'cause of Penn's hamming up the trailers), but guess I'll skip it at the neighborhood 2nd-run.

 

....And now I'm going to take a few breaths and think about just, you know, catching a movie with Don Winslow. And not going all Chris Farley Show on him.

"Remember that scene in Savages where Ben and Chon get the drop on those cartel guys and stuff? THAT WAS AWESOME."


Edited by Cameron Hughes - 2/9/13 at 12:30am
post #2819 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav McGee View Post

 

I've been saying that since the first trailer! Ooof, I was a little curious (honestly, 'cause of Penn's hamming up the trailers), but guess I'll skip it at the neighborhood 2nd-run.

 

....And now I'm going to take a few breaths and think about just, you know, catching a movie with Don Winslow. And not going all Chris Farley Show on him.

I can totally see the resemblance.



post #2820 of 3062
OOOH, Exciting. I would have preferred an HBO series, but this will do. Haven't seen their other movies though. Good to hear Don is involved:

http://m.deadline.com/2013/01/oscar-nommed-a-royal-affair-team-boards-epic-don-winslow-novel-power-of-the-dog/
post #2821 of 3062

Owns.

 

Did anyone else first read the article as Heisenberg writing the script?

post #2822 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

OOOH, Exciting. I would have preferred an HBO series, but this will do. Haven't seen their other movies though. Good to hear Don is involved:

http://m.deadline.com/2013/01/oscar-nommed-a-royal-affair-team-boards-epic-don-winslow-novel-power-of-the-dog/

 

Cautiously optimistic, but I agree:  these days, I'd be much more excited seeing a property of this scope go to HBO or Showtime.

post #2823 of 3062
Has Don talked to you about this, Cameron?
post #2824 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

Has Don talked to you about this, Cameron?


Yes.

post #2825 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb View Post

 

Cautiously optimistic, but I agree:  these days, I'd be much more excited seeing a property of this scope go to HBO or Showtime.

 

Its such a huge book - in length and scope, I was hoping for a Band of Brothers length series. Hopefully even working back in some of the (IIRC) 500 or so pages that he edited out.

post #2826 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Levine View Post

 

Its such a huge book - in length and scope, I was hoping for a Band of Brothers length series. Hopefully even working back in some of the (IIRC) 500 or so pages that he edited out.


I continue to try and convince him to do the 10 year anniversary director's cut book.

post #2827 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Levine View Post

 

Its such a huge book - in length and scope, I was hoping for a Band of Brothers length series. Hopefully even working back in some of the (IIRC) 500 or so pages that he edited out.


My one ray of hope is that L.A, Confidential was also huge in scope and took place over years and had tons of sub-plots and the movie was greatness.

post #2828 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Hughes View Post


My one ray of hope is that L.A, Confidential was also huge in scope and took place over years and had tons of sub-plots and the movie was greatness.

 

Well... much as I loved L.A. Confidential, it worked by essentially plucking great scenes from the book and stitching them together into a very different plot. I don't know that Power of the Dog would survive that kind of cherry-picking.

 

But, agreed, any ray of hope is worth clinging to. Maybe it'll finally get the Dawn Patrol TV series of my dreams back in play.

post #2829 of 3062

Karma was REALLY good! If this is Mitchell Smith going commercial it's the type of commercial I like.

 

The Dond is also one of the best henchmen I've read about in sometime. Just absolutely terrifying.

post #2830 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Okay, let's do this!
 
Art: Robert Downey Jr.
 
Adan; Michael Pena
 
Raul: Clifton Collins Jr.
 
Nora: Scarlett Johanssen or Emma Stone
 
Ramos: Danny Trejo
 
Callan: Joseph Gordon Levitt
 
O-Bop:  Aaron Paul
 
Tio: Giancarlo Esposito
 
Scachi: Because I just love him, John C. McGinley
 
Big Peaches: Gandolfini
 
Little Peaches: Joey Pants.
 
post #2831 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

Karma was REALLY good! If this is Mitchell Smith going commercial it's the type of commercial I like.

 

The Dond is also one of the best henchmen I've read about in sometime. Just absolutely terrifying.

 

Glad you liked it - not a step up from Stone City in my book, but definitely an enjoyable read.  Would possibly be an exploitation novel in the hands of a lesser writer - but it never rubs me the wrong way that Dan Simmons' Song of Kali has in recent years.  I also liked the Dond quite a bit - he isn't humanized in any sort of cliched way, but in those moments where he is described as an old, tired man.  Great antagonist; loves how he is delighted when he sees Scott can fight with a blade, forty stories above Manhattan...

 

And I could totally see that mugging scene going down on the subway in NY back in the late 80s/early 90s.

post #2832 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

Karma was REALLY good! If this is Mitchell Smith going commercial it's the type of commercial I like.

 

The Dond is also one of the best henchmen I've read about in sometime. Just absolutely terrifying.

Yeah, Karma is the goods.

post #2833 of 3062
Thread Starter 

Anyone read anything good besides Lauren with Karma?

 

Me, I'm reading The Paris Deadline about an American expat in 1926 France who gets a hold of a strange mechanical duck and several different parties after it. Byrd, a historian really brings France of the Roaring 20's alive and it moves fast and the characters are wonderful, and like any respectable French setting story, it's romantic both in love and adventure and danger.

post #2834 of 3062

The Dead Women of Juarez.  Not an easy read.

post #2835 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subotai View Post

The Dead Women of Juarez.  Not an easy read.


I got that book last year. Great read that filled me with rage and pity.

post #2836 of 3062

Read the Sour Lemon Score last week, another good Parker novel but it might be my second least favorite one so far. I mean, it was still a great read but now I'm reading On Stranger Tides so it's not crime fiction. However, I bought Child 44 as well due to it being 3 bucks and others in this thread saying it was a good read.

post #2837 of 3062
Quote:
Me, I'm reading The Paris Deadline about an American expat in 1926 France who gets a hold of a strange mechanical duck and several different parties after it. Byrd, a historian really brings France of the Roaring 20's alive and it moves fast and the characters are wonderful, and like any respectable French setting story, it's romantic both in love and adventure and danger.

 

 

I'm kind of interested because I love that period and setting. Though one of my dreams is getting a good Power of the Dog-style epic on the gangs of Marseille.

post #2838 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Hughes View Post


I got that book last year. Great read that filled me with rage and pity.

Missed this one. Looks like a powerful read. Winslow's successor, perhaps?

Hawken's most recent one looks good too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1846688531/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1
post #2839 of 3062
When I say successor, I mean in the Mexican drug war genre, not in general!
post #2840 of 3062

I'm reading Comeback, but that's probably only going to take a couple of nights. I finished On Stranger Tides a few Days ago (Thanks, Lauren and Cameron). I haven't decided whether to continue with neo-Parker after this or read something else.

post #2841 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Hughes View Post


I got that book last year. Great read that filled me with rage and pity.

 

Was finishing it during breaks in the Super Bowl.  Kinda hard to chuckle at Iron Man's hijinx while processing it.  In fact just about everything around me seemed puerile for quite a while after I finished it.

 

On to Glock, about the American handgun industry.

post #2842 of 3062

I don't think I could even attempt to read it. A lot of books on Central and South America hit painfully close to home for me.

post #2843 of 3062
Well damn, my local library had a copy of DEAD WOMEN OF JUAREZ. Nabbed it, although I feel I should be supporting promising young authors, especially as it was only just over 3 quid on Amazon.

What's the verdict on Donald Ray Pollock?

Knockemstiff sounds like a riff on JUSTIFIED, which is fine:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0099520974/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1

and THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME sounds brutal:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/009956338X
post #2844 of 3062
post #2845 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

Well damn, my local library had a copy of DEAD WOMEN OF JUAREZ. Nabbed it, although I feel I should be supporting promising young authors, especially as it was only just over 3 quid on Amazon.

What's the verdict on Donald Ray Pollock?

Knockemstiff sounds like a riff on JUSTIFIED, which is fine:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0099520974/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1

and THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME sounds brutal:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/009956338X

More like Daniel Woodrell. The Devil All The Time is great.

post #2846 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

 

 

I'm kind of interested because I love that period and setting. Though one of my dreams is getting a good Power of the Dog-style epic on the gangs of Marseille.

You just gave me a literary orgasm with that idea.

post #2847 of 3062

That entire period where Europe was the world leader in heroin trafficking endlessly fascinates me. Just look at Sicily and the Mafia there basically coming across just like the Cartels do now.

post #2848 of 3062

That novel has yet to be written (in English anyhow), as do books about the DEA's forerunner, the Bureau of Narcotics.
 

post #2849 of 3062

Not to jump topics, but are there any Charles Willeford fans out there?  

 

I just finished his short novel "Kiss Your Ass Goodbye" (great title, great cover) and found it enjoyable if a little slight.  For film fans, the Alec Baldwin/Jennifer Jason Leigh/Fred Ward film MIAMI BLUES was based on one of Willeford's "Hoke Mosely" novels, the others in the series being "New Hope for the Dead," "Sideswipe," "The Way We Die Now," (which are all lots of fun) and the still-unpublished "Grimhaven."  

 

I enjoy the Hoke Mosely hangdog detective character and especially Fred Ward's portrayal of him in MIAMI BLUES.  Need to catch up on some of the other novels in Mr. Willeford's bibliography.  Any suggestions as to what others in his work to try first?

post #2850 of 3062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post

Not to jump topics, but are there any Charles Willeford fans out there?  

 

I just finished his short novel "Kiss Your Ass Goodbye" (great title, great cover) and found it enjoyable if a little slight.  For film fans, the Alec Baldwin/Jennifer Jason Leigh/Fred Ward film MIAMI BLUES was based on one of Willeford's "Hoke Mosely" novels, the others in the series being "New Hope for the Dead," "Sideswipe," "The Way We Die Now," (which are all lots of fun) and the still-unpublished "Grimhaven."  

 

I enjoy the Hoke Mosely hangdog detective character and especially Fred Ward's portrayal of him in MIAMI BLUES.  Need to catch up on some of the other novels in Mr. Willeford's bibliography.  Any suggestions as to what others in his work to try first?

Cockfighter is very weird and very good.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Books and Magazines
CHUD.com Community › Forums › ARTS & LITERATURE › Books and Magazines › Crime Fiction Thread 2.0.