CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › I'm about to watch...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm about to watch... - Page 204

post #10151 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

One Nite Only!

History_of_violence.jpg
Straw_dogs_movie_poster.jpg 

Fat Elvis: what did you think of the son in law in The Hills Have Eyes remake being modeled after Hoffman in Straw Dogs?

Also, if you've seen it, how bad is the Straw Dogs remake?
post #10152 of 12591

Yeah, I like the nod. Big fan of the HILLS remake.

 

Have not seen the DOGS remake, but I've been curious enough to ALMOST rent it a few times.

post #10153 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Yeah, I like the nod. Big fan of the HILLS remake.

Have not seen the DOGS remake, but I've been curious enough to ALMOST rent it a few times.

The motor home siege and the crucifixion of Buffalo Bill was the closest I've come to an actual panic attack in the theatre..

..

Well that, and the moment while watching Taking Lives theatrically that it dawned on me I paid full price.
post #10154 of 12591


First time since the cinema.

Let's see how this holds up on second viewing.
post #10155 of 12591
Dear god that's just still a fucking masterclass in filmmaking.

Economy of story. Characterisation. Editing. Choreography. Sound design. Everything.

Noticed one thing I noticed in the theatre again - at the end when Max and Rictus start to fight on the war rig the colour suddenly gets less saturated - what's that all about?

WITNESS!!
post #10156 of 12591

If FURY ROAD was the EXACT same movie, but with world weary Mel Gibson it would be a perfect movie; the best in the series.  And I say that as a fan of what Hardy does.

 

As is:

 

ROAD WARRIOR

THUNDERDOME

MAX

FURY ROAD

 

All 4-5 stars, though. My favorite series of alltime.

post #10157 of 12591
I love Fury Road as is but Mel Gibson as old Max in that same movie? Whoo boy, yes please!
post #10158 of 12591
I wasn't keen on the casting of Hardy simply because Mel = Max and I obviously don't have the vision Miller has, but I'm pretty much sold on Hardy 5 minutes in.

I like his squirrelley MmmHmm's and darting eyes. I think the character is a bit more of a cartoon now with his flashbacks and more animated performance - he's more obviously depicted as 'Mad' for a more ADHD generation.
post #10159 of 12591

Tonight:

 

post #10160 of 12591

As I work.

 

post #10161 of 12591

I need L.A. Confidential on bluray. I only saw it in the theater and then once on VHS.

 

Very notable for launching the US careers of Guy Pearce and Russel Crowe (somehow Virtuosity didn't quite get him there).

 

Coming out of the theater in '97, it definitely felt like Crowe was going to be a star.

post #10162 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

I need L.A. Confidential on bluray. I only saw it in the theater and then once on VHS.

 

Very notable for launching the US careers of Guy Pearce and Russel Crowe (somehow Virtuosity didn't quite get him there).

 

Coming out of the theater in '97, it definitely felt like Crowe was going to be a star.


I've forgotten how gorgeous the cinematography is in this. And yup on both Crowe and Pearce. Such a great great great film.

post #10163 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

Tonight:

 

 

Are you a fan, Mangy? Doesn't crack my W. Hill Top 10, but I like it. Written by the Zemeckis/ Gale team, right?

post #10164 of 12591

Just Watched:

 

Darling poster.png

 

DARLING: Impressive psychological Horror mood piece. Weird and freaky.  Unnerving slow build. Central performance makes it. An updated feel of what Polanski was doing with THE TENANT.

post #10165 of 12591

Now Playing:

 

Previous
Next
 
post #10166 of 12591

Just re-watched:

 

 

First time seeing it in a long time. Holds up so great.

 

Also it reminded me how much I really miss Philip Seymour Hoffman.

post #10167 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Now Playing:



Previous


Next





 



"Haayy I know you.."
post #10168 of 12591

Late Show:

 

The_Wild_Life_film_poster.jpg

Previous
Next
 
 
 
 
post #10169 of 12591

This morning....

 

post #10170 of 12591

Tonite!

 

 
Close
 
post #10171 of 12591

Now. An under appreciated gem.

 

post #10172 of 12591

Love that film. Georges Delerue's soundtrack has been re-released and re-mastered and is well worth picking up.

post #10173 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
 

Love that film. Georges Delerue's soundtrack has been re-released and re-mastered and is well worth picking up.


Really? Awesome, going to do that. Thanks!

post #10174 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post

Now. An under appreciated gem.



One of the greatest "Take this job and shove it!" scenes.

Also "Old Man River" playing when he comes out of the doctors office and hugs the woman and the great dane is awesome. The composition of that shot is great.
post #10175 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Now Playing:

I'm feeling Bogie + Bacall tonite.




I'm thinking KEY LARGO

Personal preference would be "The Big Sleep" but any one of the main three would be a fine choice. Haven't seen "Dark Passage" (snigger...) yet.

Largo has a great turn by Edward G, though, which is a point in its favour.
post #10176 of 12591
Oh, you gotta start with TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT.
post #10177 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post


Personal preference would be "The Big Sleep" but any one of the main three would be a fine choice. Haven't seen "Dark Passage" (snigger...) yet.

Largo has a great turn by Edward G, though, which is a point in its favour.

 

Dark Passage is really cool.

post #10178 of 12591

Now Playing:

 

Risky Business.jpg

 

 

"Sometimes you have to say, "What the fuck!" Make your move!"

"That's easy for you to say. You're all set. You're probably going to Harvard. Me, I don't want to make a mistake, jeopardize my future!"

 "Joel, let me tell you something. Every now and then, say "What the fuck." "What the fuck" gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity, opportunity makes your future... So your parents are going out of town. You got the place all to yourself."

 "Yeah."

 "What the fuck...If you can't say it, you can't do it."

post #10179 of 12591
For the first time...

post #10180 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

For the first time...


Envious.

Wish I could watch this again for the first time.

Enjoy.
post #10181 of 12591
Enjoyed it. Didn't feel there was as much going on under the hood as with his other films, but Philip Baker Hall is wonderfully understated and sells the tough guy trying to reach out and form connections in the way he knows best, contrasting nicely with Jackson's more brash and macho masculinity and Reilly's naivete. It's films like this that make me wish Paltrow hadn't disappeared up her own arse as much. She's a classy actress.
post #10182 of 12591

List Mania! My Top 25 80's Teen/ High School Flicks!

 

1. VALLEY GIRL

2. RISKY BUSINESS

3. LITTLE DARLINGS

4. FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH

5. LUCAS

6. THE WILD LIFE

7. HEATHERS

8. THE OUTSIDERS

9. LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN

10. THE NIGHT BEFORE

11. THREE O' CLOCK HIGH

12.  RECKLESS

13.  SECRET ADMIRER

14. MY BODYGUARD

15. TUFF TURF

16. FOXES

17. MISCHIEF/ BABY IT'S YOU/ HEAVEN HELP US

18.  RUNNING ON EMPTY

19. RIVER'S EDGE

20. BETTER OFF DEAD

21.  LICENSE TO DRIVE

22. JUST ONE OF THE GUYS

23. CAN"T BUY ME LOVE

24. FIRSTBORN

25. BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE


Edited by Fat Elvis - 8/4/16 at 9:47pm
post #10183 of 12591

Late Show:

 

A pink-haired girl named Ramona, standing back to back with a boy in a red t-shirt, Scott Pilgrim. Behind them pictures of her seven evil exes.

post #10184 of 12591

After the disappointment that is the Jason Bourne movie, I require action. With fast cars. With the addition of some sort of heist. 

 

post #10185 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

List Mania! My Top 25 80's Teen/ High School Flicks!

 

1. VALLEY GIRL

2. RISKY BUSINESS

3. LITTLE DARLINGS

4. FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH

5. LUCAS

6. THE WILD LIFE

7. HEATHERS

8. THE OUTSIDERS

9. LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN

10. THE NIGHT BEFORE

11. THREE O' CLOCK HIGH

12.  RECKLESS

13.  SECRET ADMIRER

14. MY BODYGUARD

15. TUFF TURF

16. FOXES

17. MISCHIEF/ BABY IT'S YOU/ HEAVEN HELP US

18.  RUNNING ON EMPTY

19. RIVER'S EDGE

20. BETTER OFF DEAD

21.  LICENSE TO DRIVE

22. JUST ONE OF THE GUYS

23. CAN"T BUY ME LOVE

24. FIRSTBORN

25. BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE

 

Must add The Chocolate War.

 

And if your omission of all John Hughes titles was intentional, well played.

post #10186 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
 

 

Must add The Chocolate War.

 

 

 

Man, I haven't seen that in forever. And I need to. Amazon order!

post #10187 of 12591

Tonite!

 

Previous
Next
 
 
post #10188 of 12591
Such a great image.
post #10189 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

Tonite!

 

Previous
Next
 
 


Audience is like... omg, a movie about a lone wolf!

post #10190 of 12591
Suicide Squad.

Cinema is absolutely rammed.
post #10191 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
 


Audience is like... omg, a movie about a lone wolf!

 

The Thing is not the story of a wolf in the arctic, as this image insunuates. It's the story of how the world's most powerful chess computer was defeated by a glass of J&B Scotch Whiskey.

post #10192 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

 

The Thing is not the story of a wolf in the arctic, as this image insunuates. It's the story of how the world's most powerful chess computer was defeated by a glass of J&B Scotch Whiskey.

 

Pft.

 

Bitch.

post #10193 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

List Mania! My Top 25 80's Teen/ High School Flicks!

 

1. VALLEY GIRL

2. RISKY BUSINESS

3. LITTLE DARLINGS

4. FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH

5. LUCAS

6. THE WILD LIFE

7. HEATHERS

8. THE OUTSIDERS

9. LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN

10. THE NIGHT BEFORE

11. THREE O' CLOCK HIGH

12.  RECKLESS

13.  SECRET ADMIRER

14. MY BODYGUARD

15. TUFF TURF

16. FOXES

17. MISCHIEF/ BABY IT'S YOU/ HEAVEN HELP US

18.  RUNNING ON EMPTY

19. RIVER'S EDGE

20. BETTER OFF DEAD

21.  LICENSE TO DRIVE

22. JUST ONE OF THE GUYS

23. CAN"T BUY ME LOVE

24. FIRSTBORN

25. BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE


Personally I think Heathers is the greatest high school/teenager movie of all time. Take away the body count and all that dialogue and that was my high school. I knew people worst than Heathers, Kurt and Ram. My local bullies once threw stones at a retared guy.

 

  Its good to see you also think John Hughes movies are overrated.

post #10194 of 12591

Hmmmm, Heathers sounded like a good one to have one right now. So, its on.

 

post #10195 of 12591

Now Playing:

 

Invasion_of_the_body_snatchers_movie_poster_1978.jpg

post #10196 of 12591

Great poster.

post #10197 of 12591
Just rewatched that INVASION the other day. I'm a fan of every adaptation I've seen but that one is my favorite.
post #10198 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post

Just rewatched that INVASION the other day. I'm a fan of every adaptation I've seen but that one is my favorite.

 

Philip Kaufman's INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS > John Carpenter's THE THING

 

Both are perfect films. Both paranoid masterpieces. I jhate that INVASION has been reduced in pop consciousness to that Sutherland meme. Props due.

post #10199 of 12591

Matinee:

 

Body_snatchers_1993.jpg

post #10200 of 12591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Philip Kaufman's INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS > John Carpenter's THE THING

Both are perfect films. Both paranoid masterpieces. I jhate that INVASION has been reduced in pop consciousness to that Sutherland meme. Props due.

That's funny. Usually when I'm asked for my favorite horror film I say Carpenter's THE THING, because it's themes are so legitimately terrifying, and the tension is fantastic. But Kaufman's exploration of similar territory is much more my taste. I just never think about it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Movie Miscellany
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › I'm about to watch...