CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › I'm about to watch...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm about to watch... - Page 253

post #12601 of 12650

Tonights double feature courtesy of TCM

post #12602 of 12650

Curious about this and since I'm working, this might be a good one to have on in the background...

 

post #12603 of 12650

Late Show:

 

"INTRODUCING eric roberts"

 

Image result for king of the gypsies

post #12604 of 12650

This is going to be fun....I've never seen Ghouls 2 and its also up on Hulu. 

 

post #12605 of 12650

This just popped up on HBO Now.  

 

post #12606 of 12650

Have seen some very passionate support for Blade Runner 2049 around these parts, and so I'm probably going to give it a watch tomorrow. In the mean time I thought I better familiarize myself with the original (the Final Cut version)... a movie I've not seen in around twenty years and barely remember. 

post #12607 of 12650
Saturday-the-14th-1981-movie-5.jpg


Edit: sometimes, you shouldn't revisit your childhood. This was one of those times.
Edited by bored daily - 10/14/17 at 2:41pm
post #12608 of 12650

post #12609 of 12650

 At the AMC Theater in Homestead PA

post #12610 of 12650
15 years ago, I wanted a sequel.
When the final cut came along 11 years ago, I changed my mind.
Yet here I am in an IMAX theater about to watch Blade Runner 2049.
post #12611 of 12650

Taking a break from horror and watching a dearly loved film. Wondering why this isn't appreciated. Aw well, its on....

 

 

 

 

post #12612 of 12650
GUARDIANS-babygroot-dance-1024x512.jpg&w=480
post #12613 of 12650

Because why not?

Never mind. Vetoed by the wife.
Edited by Dalyn - 10/21/17 at 5:41pm
post #12614 of 12650
What's she making you watch instead?
post #12615 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

What's she making you watch instead?
Actually she didn't have anything else in mind so I wound up watching it after all. Well, most of it. I fell asleep and have to finish it today, but was actually enjoying it.
post #12616 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 

Taking a break from horror and watching a dearly loved film. Wondering why this isn't appreciated. Aw well, its on....

 

 

 

 

 

 

I love the film, but Beatty and Madonna were all wrong for their roles*. I think the critics sniffed a vanity project, and the public couldn't have cared less about a 30s comic book character that wasn't Batman.

 

Alec Baldwin 5-10 years later would have been my choice. 

post #12617 of 12650
As someone who I believe was the target demo at the time, I can attest to the fact that one of the reasons it failed was because it was Batman. Other reasons:

2: Madonna
3: Who The fuck is Warran Beatty.
4: Who The Fuck is Dick Tracy
5: What is the hero’s costume? A cartoony yellow coat and hat?
post #12618 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

 

 

I love the film, but Beatty and Madonna were all wrong for their roles*. I think the critics sniffed a vanity project, and the public couldn't have cared less about a 30s comic book character that wasn't Batman.

 

Alec Baldwin 5-10 years later would have been my choice. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

As someone who I believe was the target demo at the time, I can attest to the fact that one of the reasons it failed was because it was Batman. Other reasons:

2: Madonna
3: Who The fuck is Warran Beatty.
4: Who The Fuck is Dick Tracy
5: What is the hero’s costume? A cartoony yellow coat and hat?


Actually, Madonna was very close to universally praised in her role. She embodied Breathless. And she did. Most critics dug the stylization. A few didn't like that and wanted it more grounded. There was a problem of it being TOO similar to Batman. Most people DID know who Dick Tracy was. 

 

The film was the ninth highest grossing film of 1990. 12th worldwide.  It had a HUGE opening weekend. 

post #12619 of 12650

I always felt that the 'living four-color cartoon' design, though gorgeous, was a bad fit for the property.

post #12620 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post



Actually, Madonna was very close to universally praised in her role. She embodied Breathless. And she did. Most critics dug the stylization. A few didn't like that and wanted it more grounded. There was a problem of it being TOO similar to Batman. Most people DID know who Dick Tracy was. 

The film was the ninth highest grossing film of 1990. 12th worldwide.  It had a HUGE opening weekend. 

The point of view I was coming from was a kid in Jr. High/ high school. For me and my friends at the time, all those things were turn offs for us. We didn't care what reviews said about Madonna's performance. We just didn't like Madonna. And to us, Dick Tracy may as well have been Cathy, some three panel black and white strip in the newspaper none of us read. Dick Tracy was like our parents era. I'm not saying any of this is right. It's just if you wonder why DT bombed, these were factors.
post #12621 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post


The point of view I was coming from was a kid in Jr. High/ high school. For me and my friends at the time, all those things were turn offs for us. We didn't care what reviews said about Madonna's performance. We just didn't like Madonna. And to us, Dick Tracy may as well have been Cathy, some three panel black and white strip in the newspaper none of us read. Dick Tracy was like our parents era. I'm not saying any of this is right. It's just if you wonder why DT bombed, these were factors.


After some research, Dick Tracy didn't bomb. It was Disney's Katzenberg who who called it a failure because it cost $100 million to make and it brought in o little over $160-million worldwide. So, of course, Katzenberg's statement is what gained a lot of the attention.  I saw this in the theater three times. The third time was the only one where the house wasn't full or nearly full. By that time, it'd been out for a while.

post #12622 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post


After some research, Dick Tracy didn't bomb. It was Disney's Katzenberg who who called it a failure because it cost $100 million to make and it brought in o little over $160-million worldwide. So, of course, Katzenberg's statement is what gained a lot of the attention.  I saw this in the theater three times. The third time was the only one where the house wasn't full or nearly full. By that time, it'd been out for a while.
Well shit, learned something new today. I had always thought this movie tanked. Never knew it actually made a profit.
post #12623 of 12650

I think it's also because Dick Tracy - like The Rocketeer a year later - made a HUGE push with regards to toys and tie-ins. That shit was everywhere for both those flicks, and that shit wound up in the dollar bins at Kay Bee Toys a year later. 

 

At one point, Disney did full radio dramas on cassette for both those movies. Those were really cool. 

post #12624 of 12650

post #12625 of 12650
A 12 pack of beer and browsing Amazon equals: I get a German blu of Double Dragon in the mail today..
post #12626 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

I think it's also because Dick Tracy - like The Rocketeer a year later - made a HUGE push with regards to toys and tie-ins. That shit was everywhere for both those flicks, and that shit wound up in the dollar bins at Kay Bee Toys a year later. 

 

At one point, Disney did full radio dramas on cassette for both those movies. Those were really cool. 

I had one of those! It was yellow.

 

The biggest Dick Tracy missed opportunity was Bruce Campbell wanted to do a tv show, but Beatty wouldn't let the rights go. And he still won't. Not that I'd be opposed to Dick Tracy: Unforgiven as Beatty's true swan song after Rules Don't Apply. 

post #12627 of 12650
Oh, man, Campbell doing a Tracy TV show would’ve been incredible. Love the film, though. The four-color world is some of my favorite art direction in any movie. And the supporting cast is some prime blockbuster ham.
post #12628 of 12650
C9ks8-eXsAI7Kc6.jpg
post #12629 of 12650

post #12630 of 12650

Its up on Hulu, btw.  Finally, have this on.

 

post #12631 of 12650

Morning wake up, along with art....

 

 

post #12632 of 12650
Thank you Amazon Prime Video!
4de6157d96b2327c92bd4ad8c8432b52--speed-racer-warner-bros.jpg
post #12633 of 12650
BringMeHeadAlfredoGarcia-Adv.jpg
post #12634 of 12650
thor-ragnarok-who-is-hela.jpg
post #12635 of 12650
You're having a very eventful week, bored.
post #12636 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

You're having a very eventful week, bored.

For a change, amirite!?
Thor is good fun, enough to possibly see again to catch some of the gags that I missed while laughing.
post #12637 of 12650
In less than a hour
JusticeLeague-IMAX-poster-1.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&ssl=1&w=800
post #12638 of 12650

Ohh, I hope they have some of those left on the IMAX counter when I get to the mall theater tomorrow.

 

2D Batman looks happier to be there than Bafflack.

post #12639 of 12650
See, now I know I'd be way happier with a film from Warners' animation with this cast doing voice work than I would the same cast in live action.
post #12640 of 12650

Late Show:

 

Image result for rumble fish movie

 

Related image

post #12641 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Ohh, I hope they have some of those left on the IMAX counter when I get to the mall theater tomorrow.

2D Batman looks happier to be there than Bafflack.

I left my poster behind. On purpose. Not only was it not a Zack Snyder film, it felt like the studio paid Joss Whedon extra to make the film so saccharin just to appease the money men.

Also, Joss might have tanked this film by clicking "like" on a tweet:
https://movieweb.com/justice-league-villain-tweet-joss-whedon-criticized/
post #12642 of 12650

Just bought - note, bought, not rented - POTTERSVILLE. The super low budget movie where Michael Shannon dresses up like big foot and small town shenanagins ensue.

 

I like how I had no qualms spending 10 dollars on this movie, which I have not seen, but I refuse to rent HENRYBOOK for 6 dollars. 

post #12643 of 12650


I've apparently burned through my whole Netflix queue, and this was amongst two or three I'd added randomly and dropped to the bottom.
post #12644 of 12650

Heard about this version of the novel for 25 years, never been able to watch it.  Looking forward to it.

 

post #12645 of 12650

PASSENGERS, with J-Law and Pratt Pratt Pratt. 

post #12646 of 12650
hahaha golden lab pratt
post #12647 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

PASSENGERS, with J-Law and Pratt Pratt Pratt. 

 

It's not bad. I'll wait to say more until after you've seen it (should you choose to come back after and share thoughts).

post #12648 of 12650
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
 

 

It's not bad. I'll wait to say more until after you've seen it (should you choose to come back after and share thoughts).

 

This is ridiculously slow so far, the external design of the spaceship is fucking stupid, and the score is like American Beauty goes to space. But I'm committed now. 

post #12649 of 12650

Later today:

 

post #12650 of 12650
Finally able to have a day date with my wife and watch Thor:Ragnarock. Fucking loved it. Came home and made my mom watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Movie Miscellany
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › I'm about to watch...