or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › Who Wouldn't Be Excited About More Board Game Adaptations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who Wouldn't Be Excited About More Board Game Adaptations?

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
post #2 of 65
Maybe they should turn Monopoly into There Will Be Blood type story, I'd see that.
post #3 of 65
April 1st is a ways away.
post #4 of 65
I DRAINED MARVIN GARDENS, TOP HAT! DRAINED IT DRY! seriously.
post #5 of 65
I'd bet cold hard cash that Magic TG is definitely one of the brands being picked up for a movie, what with the high-note (at least, there are still dollar signs in the eyes of hollywood) the Fantasy genre is riding thanks to LOTR

I mean.. if Uwe Boll could ride that wave, anyone can.
post #6 of 65
Some of the storylines in Magic are fun, nothing high minded and ultimately original, but I definitely thought some of the books (yes! they have tons of em) could make a decent movie. And will admit to adapting one of the larger story arcs (some might even say 'the' story arc) into a script at one point in my youth...
post #7 of 65
Hell, I'm surprised no one's made a Ouija horror/ghost movie yet.
post #8 of 65
So are these going to be animated or does it matter? I'm figuring it would be cheaper to make animated films and hire common voice over talent to shove out quick cash titles.
post #9 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSMGL View Post
Hell, I'm surprised no one's made a Ouija horror/ghost movie yet.
The Exorcist?
post #10 of 65
God, Please don't start making me remember the storylines to Magic: the Gathering. Too late its all coming back...
post #11 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSMGL View Post
Hell, I'm surprised no one's made a Ouija horror/ghost movie yet.
Yeah, i think theres been a few, minus the brand name Ouija.
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSMGL View Post
Hell, I'm surprised no one's made a Ouija horror/ghost movie yet.
It's been done before. Witchboard comes to mind.
post #13 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Owen
It’s pretty easy to come up with premises for most of these (assuming they would be live-action), and some of them would just be rip-offs of preexisting works. For example, Candy Land is Alice in Wonderland (or a live-action version of this), Stretch Armstrong is a Mr. Fantastic spin-off and Ouija is Witchboard.

Jesus, people.
post #14 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsky View Post
I DRAINED MARVIN GARDENS, TOP HAT! DRAINED IT DRY! seriously.
Water Works, Thimble. Water Works.
post #15 of 65
I'm really curious if they'll have money under free parking in the film.
Because from what I hear, it's not officially a rule.

Also, is it too late to have Sidney Lumet direct Monopoly as a legal thriller?
post #16 of 65
Based on his previous films, Gus Van Sant would pretty much shoot a movie that consisted of people playing Monopoly and nothing else.
post #17 of 65
Peter Jackson, Alex Cox, Richard Stanley, Guillermo Del Toro, Jim Jarmusch and Alejandro Jodorowsky could be involved, and I still will never say, "One for 'Magic The Gathering- The Movie' please".
post #18 of 65
I imagine you'd feel very filthy if Larry Clark directed Candy Land....just saying.
post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeisdead View Post
I'm really curious if they'll have money under free parking in the film.
Because from what I hear, it's not officially a rule.
It's not unofficially a rule either. If you play Monopoly with a Free Parking Prize, you should have your board game privileges taken away.
post #20 of 65
So who are they getting to play the ratty old boot?
post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by billylove View Post
The Exorcist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Yeah, i think theres been a few, minus the brand name Ouija.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sado View Post
It's been done before. Witchboard comes to mind.
Oh, I know "cursed magic board" has been done to death... I just meant that I'm surprised no one thought to out and out call it Ouija: The Movie just to capitalize on the fame (or infamy, however you wanna view it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABONG View Post
Peter Jackson, Alex Cox, Richard Stanley, Guillermo Del Toro, Jim Jarmusch and Alejandro Jodorowsky could be involved, and I still will never say, "One for 'Magic The Gathering- The Movie' please".
Brian Posehn: "I'm so angry at Lucas over Episodes I and II that I'll probably skip III altogether..."

Heckled: "Yeah, right!"

Brian Posehn: "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW?!?! YOU DON'T KNOW ME MAN! YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!! ............yeah, you're right, I'll probably still see it anyways."
post #22 of 65
*Sexist joke coming*

*Sexist joke coming*

*Sexist joke coming*

I hope Scarlet Johanssen plays the thimble, so I can imagine putting my thumb in her.

I am so goddamn sorry, but the joke was in my head and I had to get it out.
post #23 of 65
So now that boardgames are fair game for adaptations. What next?

Dreamworks Animation presents... Tony the Tiger.
post #24 of 65
I want to know if there is anyone who would greenlight the ultimate boardgame film...Battleship...directed by Michael Bay?
post #25 of 65
It's sometime in the future... The ultimate challenge...

I can see the pitch now: "It's Bloodsport meets The Running Man meets Hungry Hungry Hippos."
post #26 of 65
scary, Fleed for once one of your hair brained ideas is perfect, although the new Verizon commercial could of been an influence.

How about a Connect 4 movie with DeNiro and Pacino playing each other for 2 hours?

or a Twister movie with Alba, Connely, Johansen, etc, etc
post #27 of 65
Hey, if Pirates of the Caribbean worked....
post #28 of 65
As far as I know, board games adaptations are 1 for 1 at making entertaining movies. Not like it'd be impossible to make another.
post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
God, Please don't start making me remember the storylines to Magic: the Gathering. Too late its all coming back...
Urza and Mishra, man, Urza and Mishra. Just let it do the heavy lifting for you. That's it, just relax, take a stress pill.
post #30 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHocken View Post
Based on his previous films, Gus Van Sant would pretty much shoot a movie that consisted of people playing Monopoly and nothing else.
That could be a good movie. Every Monopoly game ends with cursing and hurt feelings. It would be interesting to see why that happens.
post #31 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke fleed View Post
I want to know if there is anyone who would greenlight the ultimate boardgame film...Battleship...directed by Michael Bay?
You're closer to the mark than you might think. Somehow I forgot to mention that Battleship was on the list of prospective adaptations.
post #32 of 65
The Phyrexians would make some good film villains, IMO.
post #33 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Happenin View Post
Urza and Mishra, man, Urza and Mishra. Just let it do the heavy lifting for you. That's it, just relax, take a stress pill.
Bingo! The great wizard battle that destroyed the lands.
post #34 of 65
I'd like to see them try to adapt Scene It?
post #35 of 65
Paul Greengrass for Guess Who?.
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeisdead View Post
I'm really curious if they'll have money under free parking in the film.
Because from what I hear, it's not officially a rule.
Fuck people that do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
It's not unofficially a rule either. If you play Monopoly with a Free Parking Prize, you should have your board game privileges taken away.
And how!

ETA - People that play with a tax prize on Free Parking are the same people that don't realize that property goes up for auction if you don't opt to buy it.
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacup_79 View Post
So who are they getting to play the ratty old boot?

Tommy Lee Jones
post #38 of 65
Quote:
It’s pretty easy to come up with premises for most of these (assuming they would be live-action), and some of them would just be rip-offs of preexisting works. For example, Candy Land is Alice in Wonderland (or a live-action version of this), Stretch Armstrong is a Mr. Fantastic spin-off
I remember hearing of a Strech Armstrong movie with Danny Devito. Guess it's still burning in development hell.
post #39 of 65
The Magic storylines are all, as I recall, exceptionally awful.
post #40 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
*Sexist joke coming*

*Sexist joke coming*

*Sexist joke coming*

I hope Scarlet Johanssen plays the thimble, so I can imagine putting my thumb in her.

I am so goddamn sorry, but the joke was in my head and I had to get it out.
In my set there's a bowling ball.
post #41 of 65
Sharpe1007, Hair brained? That saying as an insult belongs with swell as a compliment...in the 1950's.

My Idea of Battleship as directed by Michael Bay was not influenced by any commercial.
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMantis View Post
So now that boardgames are fair game for adaptations. What next?

Dreamworks Animation presents... Tony the Tiger.
Possible director pairings.

Jim Sheridan's Lucky Charms.
Terry Gilliam's Trix the Rabbit
Michael Mann's Cookie Crisp
Ridley Scott's Cap N'Crunch
Dario Argento's Count Chocoula
Eli Roth's Boo Berry

and finally

Quentin Tarentino's Smacks.
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSMGL View Post
Hell, I'm surprised no one's made a Ouija horror/ghost movie yet.
Hopefully that's because any writer who sits down to write one immediately gets smacked upside the head by an invisible force.
post #44 of 65
"In the cutthroat world of New Jersey real estate, the stakes are high."

Cut to shots of dollar bills and deeds passing hands, a Scottish terrier barking, an old lady in a rocking chair knitting a sweater with a thimble, a top hat being blown down the street by the wind.

A group of businessmen are sitting around a meeting room table. Christopher Walken: "Last week's acquisition...of Park Place...has put us over the top. Gentlemen...Atlantic City is...now ours." Much privileged laughter and cork-popping ensues.

Pan over a row of houses and an electric company.

"Sometimes when you roll the dice, you go to jail..."

A bloodied man in an alleyway is being sodomized by cops with nightsticks. The camera focuses in on the overdue mortgage notice he's clutching.

"Sometimes, you get a new chance at life..."

A CGI hotel is rolling down a hill at some dude, who narrowly ducks under it in slow motion as it passes overhead.

"Now, one man is bringing his own set of rules to the game."

Cut to a train pulling into a station. A lone man in a dark suit with coattails and bow tie steps off. A trio of mobsters waiting for him approach. One gets a broken neck for his trouble, another gets his nose shoved into his skull with one of those moneybags that has those dollar signs on it. The last gets a few bullets pumped into his legs. As he tries to crawl away, he looks up in terror at the man standing over him, "W-who are you?!" A stray gust of wind brings the top hat to rest nearby. Jason Statham picks it up, dusts it off, and adjusts his monocle slightly before putting the hat on. "The name is Monopoly. Mr. Monopoly." Then he cracks the poor fucker's head open with his cane.

Summer 2009
Do not pass go.
Do not collect $200.
post #45 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHocken View Post
Ridley Scott's Cap N'Crunch
I'm imagining Ridley taking this entirely serious. Making it an epic period piece with detailed art direction, and it's hilarious.
post #46 of 65
Considering Tony The Tiger was designed by one of America's greatest children Illustrators, I would like to see Brad Bird tackle the story. Pixar artist Lou Romano has already contributed to arts how to try and get Tony back to his routes so I am not far off base.
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMR View Post
Summer 2009
Do not pass go.
Do not collect $200.
I am so fucking there.
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMR View Post
Summer 2009
Do not pass go.
Do not collect $200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Happenin View Post
I am so fucking there.
You said it, Doc.

Holy shit, that was intense.
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHocken View Post
Possible director pairings.


Ridley Scott's Cap N'Crunch
.

No, no, no. Peter Weir's Cap N'Crunch!
post #50 of 65
As has been stated in the article, Scott will die before this comes to pass. It's probably like those people who are on their deathbed and tell a joke nobody's ever heard before... only to die before delivering the punchline.

Except in this case, the punchline is that people here would pay to see it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: CHUD.COM Main
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › Who Wouldn't Be Excited About More Board Game Adaptations?