Originally Posted by dontEATnachos
The worst thing about that fight is that in no way is the user involved in it. That's always my issue with these series, the stuff the player gets to do is never really the 'cool' stuff in the game.
Yeah but the only way a user could be involved ina fight like that would be through Quick Time Events (ala the knife fight in RE4).
Cut sceens aside, there are heaps of options to do cool stuff in the game play. Snake-eater in particular.
- distract guards wiht pornos
- walk through a swamp with your shirt off carrying a big machine gun
- burn off the leeches from the aforementioned swamp with a cigar
- ride through an exploding base in a side car shooting the crap out of guards
- eat 3 day old bats and make yourself sick
For me the fun is being presented an environment and a bunch of weapons, tools and abilities and experimenting with how to make it through. That's a whole lot more fun than a little bit of interaction in a kung-fu fight (that plenty of other games do already).
And the story is pretty stupid, but as long as it doesn't interfere with the gameplay too much (too many codec conversations in MGS2) I enjoy the over the top nature.