or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › MUSIC › Music › Songs That Are Owning You Right Now, Pt. 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Songs That Are Owning You Right Now, Pt. 2 - Page 7

post #301 of 1289
"Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads, I just can't seem to get it out of my head.
post #302 of 1289
Loving, loving, Dan Le Sac vs.Scroobius Pip at the moment. Angles and Beat That My Heart Skipped are such fantastic merges of rhyme and beat.

Beat That My Heart Skipped

Angles
post #303 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubWilliams View Post
"Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads, I just can't seem to get it out of my head.
Yeah, that whammy-bar shit at the end is just wild. I don't really care about the song until he goes nuts with it.
post #304 of 1289
Robyn Hitchcock - Ye Sleeping Knights of Jesus

Actually the entire "I Often Dream of Trains" album is getting a lot of play of late. But that song in particular has been stuck in my head for days.
post #305 of 1289
I found the album to transcend lacklusterness and become the epitome of who gives a damn, but The Killer's Joy Ride is a fine good track. Duran Duranish, a touch of ABC, what this band should've stuck to.
post #306 of 1289
I've played the Baby Huey "Living Legend" album over and over again recently and I can't get enough of "Hard Times." The intro just gets me every time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFZ58rJiE4k
post #307 of 1289
If I said Britney Spears' Mannequin, would everything I posted from that point forward be considered suspect?
post #308 of 1289
Yes, yes it would.

Also, is the song about the 1987 romantic comedy vehicle starring Kim Cattrall and Andrew McCarthy?
post #309 of 1289
Debaser by The Pixies, as evidenced by my Pixies thread.
post #310 of 1289
post #311 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Bemp.

New Q-Tip album and the new Kanye album. Both of them. Hoooolyshit.

EDIT: Between both albums, if I had to pick a song I'd choose Paranoid from the Kanye album and Shaka from the Q-Tip album - but that makes me feel like a parent picking their favorite child.
How does the new Q-Tip compare to Kamaal The Abstract? EDIT: Which I fucking loved.
post #312 of 1289
post #313 of 1289
Alias - "Death Watch"
post #314 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Marshall View Post
Loving, loving, Dan Le Sac vs.Scroobius Pip at the moment. Angles and Beat That My Heart Skipped are such fantastic merges of rhyme and beat.

Beat That My Heart Skipped

Angles
Tanks! I love it.
post #315 of 1289
The Republic Tigers with Buildings & Mountains.
post #316 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie-wanker View Post
How does the new Q-Tip compare to Kamaal The Abstract? EDIT: Which I fucking loved.
Different beasts, in my opinion. Kamaal was more funk inspired, the new album is more in line with the jazzy Tribe sound.

It's OUTSTANDING. You must own it if you like any of his stuff.
post #317 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Different beasts, in my opinion. Kamaal was more funk inspired, the new album is more in line with the jazzy Tribe sound.

It's OUTSTANDING. You must own it if you like any of his stuff.
"Kamaal the Abstract" was like meeting a close friend I hadn't seen in years, and had feared the worst about after barely being able to recognize him the last time I ran into him ("Amplified"), only to find he'd gotten his head straightened back out and that he had lots of interesting things to say again. I'll definitely have to grab the new one.

Can't believe Kamaal is STILL "unreleased". As of last year Tip had gotten it out of Arista's filthy hands, but still... nothing. Utter bullshit considering some of the worthlessness that makes it to shelves.
post #318 of 1289
"Psycho Killer" is still bouncing around in my head, but it now has company with Big Black's "Stinking Drunk".
post #319 of 1289
Thanks to Amanda Blank's "Sexy Motherfucker," I'm gonna need a hammer and chisel to get the lyrics "Never Say Never/ Always up for Whatever" out of my head.
post #320 of 1289
Fleetwood Mac- Landslide. Stevie Nicks is the shit.
post #321 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Different beasts, in my opinion. Kamaal was more funk inspired, the new album is more in line with the jazzy Tribe sound.

It's OUTSTANDING. You must own it if you like any of his stuff.
This.
post #322 of 1289
The Lone Ranger.(Quantum Jump).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJtK3c9fl8

Hell by The Squirrel Nut Zippers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzF03...eature=related

Oingo Boingo - Little Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jItz-...eature=related

Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq4NZEtNTAo
post #323 of 1289
It's most likely the foul mood I'm in, but right now I'm really diggin' on Glass Jaw's "Siberian Kiss."
post #324 of 1289
I Will Follow Him - Little Peggy March
post #325 of 1289
I might actually hate this song, but "That's Not My Name" has been in my head for days. Bit of a Blondie thing going on around the two minute mark.
post #326 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Spunkmeyer View Post
It's most likely the foul mood I'm in, but right now I'm really diggin' on Glass Jaw's "Siberian Kiss."
Heard the leaked new track of theirs? "You Think You're John Fucking Lennon." It's GOOD.
post #327 of 1289
Van Halen-Girl Gone Bad.

Fleetwood Mac-Rattlesnake Shake (Boston Tea Party version) This song kicks ass like nothing else. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WEymyB...eature=related
post #328 of 1289
I don't have a song per se, but I've just recovered a mess of songs from an old roommate's computer (I had no computer so I stored my jams on his) and I can't stop listening to The Immortal Lee County Killers. Formed from the ashes of The Quadrajets, these guys bring the two man blues jam on. Jack White and sister/wife Meg may write better pop songs, but Cheetah Weisse and whoever he plays with (hence the name change from Immortal Lee County Killers to Immortal Lee County Killers II and then III) make a better blues racket.
post #329 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ma View Post
Fleetwood Mac-Rattlesnake Shake (Boston Tea Party version) This song kicks ass like nothing else. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WEymyB...eature=related
Green-era Fleetwood Mac does indeed kick ass. It really is a shame nobody remembers when they were actually good.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of 90's emo. So "Marigold & Patchwork" by Appleseed Cast and "Invalid Litter Dept." by At the Drive-In have been getting a lot of plays.
post #330 of 1289
I think it's tragic what happened to happened all three main guitarists, Green's story is pretty much well known but Kirwan was last seen in a homeless shelter, Jeremy Spencer originally joined a cult and faded into obscurity until he emerged with a CD a few years back, the Mac's history is really quite amazing.

Brothers Johnson-Getthefunkouttamyface.Get.the.funk.outtamyface
post #331 of 1289
post #332 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie-wanker View Post
"Kamaal the Abstract" was like meeting a close friend I hadn't seen in years, and had feared the worst about after barely being able to recognize him the last time I ran into him ("Amplified"), only to find he'd gotten his head straightened back out and that he had lots of interesting things to say again. I'll definitely have to grab the new one.

Can't believe Kamaal is STILL "unreleased". As of last year Tip had gotten it out of Arista's filthy hands, but still... nothing. Utter bullshit considering some of the worthlessness that makes it to shelves.
I'm cooler on Kamaal than you are, but I admire the heck out of it.

From what I hear, it'll be released next year.
post #333 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I might actually hate this song, but "That's Not My Name" has been in my head for days. Bit of a Blondie thing going on around the two minute mark.
That song and shut up and let me go made me buy their album. They're not a bad little duo, but there is a certain something to their songs which makes me both love and hate them.

To get myself into the Christmasy mood I've been listening to

Put The Light On The Tree - Sufjan Stevens

Little Drummer Boy - Johnny Cash

Wish Liszt - Trans Siberian Orchestra
post #334 of 1289
post #335 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
I'm cooler on Kamaal than you are, but I admire the heck out of it.

From what I hear, it'll be released next year.
The first time I heard it, I thought it was laughable and that he'd lost his damn mind completely. I thought it was a little like the legendary Van Morrison Contractual Obligation Album, perhaps something he recorded solely to get himself thrown off Arista.

But the more I listened to it, the more I realized he hadn't lost his mind... it was more like he found the mind that Prince lost all those years ago. Arista didn't have a strategy to sell an album so completely unconcerned with easy categorization, so they didn't even try.
post #336 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kimbell View Post
That's gorgeous. It's probably one of the few 'indie artist covers classic' christmas songs I like. The other exception seems to be Bright Eyes whose version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is brilliance.
post #337 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll View Post
Great fucking song, my favorite Leonard Cohen song second only to Suzanne.
post #338 of 1289
post #339 of 1289
Welcome to the Occupation by The Cold War Kids.

Holy fucking shit Loyalty to Loyalty is a good album.
post #340 of 1289
Elvis Costello - God Give Me Strength.

Brought on by recent re-watching of "Grace of my Heart"
post #341 of 1289
"Futile Bread Machine (Campfire Version)" by Meshuggah, "Destroy erase improve? Whassat all 'bout, eh?"

"Twill" by Elliott Brood
I saw these guys when they opened up for o'death a while back, I've quickly become a fan of their folky death country.
post #342 of 1289
Busta Rhymes' "Don't Touch Me" remix with Reek Da Villian, Spliff Star, Lil Wayne, Nas, The Game, and Big Daddy Kane. Just a sick song.
post #343 of 1289
Since Christmas approaches, it's time to break out the faux classics. Bonus points for you, Santa-wise, if you perpetuate the myth that it's by Tom Waits and Peter Murphy.
post #344 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Great fucking song, my favorite Leonard Cohen song second only to Suzanne.
The Partisan is actually the only song he's recorded that he didn't write.
post #345 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Marshall View Post
That song and shut up and let me go made me buy their album. They're not a bad little duo, but there is a certain something to their songs which makes me both love and hate them.
I'll buy it for my wife and rip it to my iTunes player. Yeah, I don't want to ever meet or talk to these people, but it's catchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Wolcott View Post
Since Christmas approaches, it's time to break out the faux classics. Bonus points for you, Santa-wise, if you perpetuate the myth that it's by Tom Waits and Peter Murphy.
Let's give it up for the Youtube Uploader tradition of giving away jokes in the description. No sense of presentation.
post #346 of 1289
It's like those stand up clips that use the punchline as the title.

Anyways, now that I'm posting in this thread: Paranoid Android. I advise people to click that.
post #347 of 1289
Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
post #348 of 1289
I am currently getting my nuts kicked by Shugo Tokumaru's album Exit (need to add to my best of 08 list!), Lone Wolf & Cub's sole album Wonder, Is Ground On Frost? (which rivals all of Explosions in the Sky's output) and Cdatakill's head-thumping Passage.

Also, the unpronouncable Ahleuchatistas's albums are also stamping my audial groin to dust too. Not an uber fan of math-rock or whatever the hell its called, but its very interesting when its blasting loud.

Music so good it hurts.
post #349 of 1289
"Spacious Thoughts" by N.A.S.A featuring Kool Kieth and TOM FUCKING WAITS. This song is so wild; it's ostensibly a rap tune that gets interrupted by Waits' guttural growling, and then just kinda goes off into its own territory. So fucking great. You can download the track for free right here. That's the label's site, so it's all legit and stuff.
post #350 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Olson View Post
"Spacious Thoughts" by N.A.S.A featuring Kool Kieth and TOM FUCKING WAITS. This song is so wild; it's ostensibly a rap tune that gets interrupted by Waits' guttural growling, and then just kinda goes off into its own territory. So fucking great. You can download the track for free right here. That's the label's site, so it's all legit and stuff.
That actually sounds just about right. A lot of the stuff on Real Gone sounds very hip-hop inspired (Waits' son even scratches some turntables on a few tracks) . I hope this sort of collaboration between indie (Which I don't think Tom Waits is, technically, but the spirit is there) musicians and rappers becomes a trend. Also see Aesop Rock's Coffee featuring John Darnielle.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
CHUD.com Community › Forums › MUSIC › Music › Songs That Are Owning You Right Now, Pt. 2