Haters, haters, haters! "Welcome to ERF!" I say to you all.
While everyone has valid arguments on how craptastic this movie is, let me remind you of a few things below. Of course most of my arguments for ID4 love are the exact reasons many people think it blows, but oh well, I still like it.
1. This cast is epic. Goldblum, Smith, McDonnell, Fierstein, Spiner, Pullman, Hirsch, Connick Jr., Quaid, Baldwin and Loggia. Let those last three names sink in. I don't know about you, but any movie with Quaid, Baldwin and Loggia MUST be good. There is so, so much cheesy overacting in this film and I love it all.
2. The effects still hold up pretty well (with the main exception being the atrocious dog jumping past the fire scene).
3. I'm a sucker for alien spaceships vs. Air Force fighters.
4. Whitmore's speech is so bad and cheesy it is fantastic.
5. Who doesn't want to see aliens blow the shit out of New York, LA and D.C.? And watching the alien-lovers get zapped on the roof of the LA buidling is glorious.
6. I tear up just thinking of Quaid sacrificing himself at the end. Sniff, here I go again...
7. Just the concept that crop-dusters, Presidents and every other random survivor around can fly and fight aliens in fighter jets is so ridiculous, I love it.
8. The alien effects and the scenes in Area 51 are pretty creepy and still the strongest part of the film.