CHUD.com Community › Forums › CREATURE CORNER › Creature Corner Main › Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread. - Page 385

post #19201 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

TROG!

 

 

The 30 Weirdest Horror Movies of the 1970s

 
 
 
 
 
"The 1970s produced acclaimed horror films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist, Jaws, Carrie, and Halloween. But the decade also unleashed cinematic oddities galore, most of which were low-budget entries that gleefully pushed the boundaries of good taste. You say “cult movie”—we say “essential.”"


That's a super fun list.  I always love seeing ALICE, SWEET ALICE get some recognition, and I'm kind of stunned that somebody else besides me has seen (the ridiculously bad) THE WEREWOLF OF WASHINGTON!

post #19202 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

"Dear @PhilNobileJr.

 

I am not familiar with The Unseen, but I am greatly amused that Edgar Wright by happenstance referenced the movie in a fake trailer. Reading the original article Phil Nobile Jr. posted about it, you can be reminded by Eli Roth's fake Thanksgiving trailer. Also, I have to laugh that The Unseen was directed by Danny Steinmann.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

The 30 Weirdest Horror Movies of the 1970s

 

Not too surprising a list but that's OK as I can't complain about it either, and I definitely need to watch a decent amount of those 30 mentioned.

post #19203 of 19251
Finished up Slasher S2. Liked it quite a bit, even more than S1. Highly watchable Ten Little Indians riff, with interesting twists and some strong kills. By no means a great show, but certainly a step up from crap like Harper's Island, and really shows off the true potential of a longer form slasher series, allowing for actual characters instead of types, and deconstruction rather than just homage. Now that it is under the Netflix umbrella hopefully that increases the chances of there being a season 3.
post #19204 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Finished up Slasher S2. Liked it quite a bit, even more than S1. Highly watchable Ten Little Indians riff, with interesting twists and some strong kills. By no means a great show, but certainly a step up from crap like Harper's Island, and really shows off the true potential of a longer form slasher series, allowing for actual characters instead of types, and deconstruction rather than just homage. Now that it is under the Netflix umbrella hopefully that increases the chances of there being a season 3.


I've been meaning to give SLASHER a chance.  I think I will have to do just that!

post #19205 of 19251
Yeah that is another one that has been on my radar and pretty decent word of mouth has bolstered my desire to give it a shot.
post #19206 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Finished up Slasher S2. Liked it quite a bit, even more than S1. Highly watchable Ten Little Indians riff, with interesting twists and some strong kills. By no means a great show, but certainly a step up from crap like Harper's Island, and really shows off the true potential of a longer form slasher series, allowing for actual characters instead of types, and deconstruction rather than just homage. Now that it is under the Netflix umbrella hopefully that increases the chances of there being a season 3.

I have seen the first few eps of season 2. I'll have to go back to it, as it sounds like it gets pretty good.

 

Juggling too many things to try and stay on top of watching everything.

post #19207 of 19251

Watched LITTLE EVIL on Netflix. It's not on the level of TUCKER AND DALE, but it is a lot better than its reputation led me to believe. A sweet little film with a couple of decent jokes and a really fun performance from Adam Scott.

post #19208 of 19251

via Phil:

 

 

"This is a 1991 HBO special about the making of BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA that is simultaneously up its own ass and remarkably candid. In three parts."

 

 

 

 

post #19209 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

via Phil:

 

 

"This is a 1991 HBO special about the making of BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA that is simultaneously up its own ass and remarkably candid. In three parts."

Wow, there's some fantastic behind-the-scenes footage in there.  Great find.

post #19210 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

via Phil:

 

 

"This is a 1991 HBO special about the making of BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA that is simultaneously up its own ass and remarkably candid. In three parts."

 

 

There is a guy that is the president of the Count Dracula society in this.......how does one join that?

post #19211 of 19251

So, I just watched 1990's THE RIFT (aka ENDLESS DESCENT)...

 

You know you’re in for something special when “Dialogue Coach” shares equal billing with the screenwriters! One year after 1989’s “Underwater Mayhem” onslaught (THE ABYSS, DEEPSTAR SIX, LEVIATHAN, LORDS OF THE DEEP) we have THE RIFT, which would be right at home with those others (give or take the quality level).

 

The film is super cheesy, played almost totally straight, and features a multinational cast of characters with varying degrees of unconvincing accents. For its first act, the movie is a pretty bog-standard genre schlock effort, with pedestrian plotting and direction; however, things eventually take a turn and the result is some pretty delightful (and over-the-top gory) "creature feature" weirdness that makes the earlier sections of the story worth the wait. The presence of vets like Ray Wise and R. Lee Ermey is only ever a good thing, too. Couple that with some gloriously unconvincing underwater photography and miniatures, and THE RIFT is definitely a fun watch. Is it actually a “good” movie, though?  Nope!

post #19212 of 19251

I watched Slumber Party Massacre today.

 

What a hoot that was. I'm sure your guys have seen it. It seemed a pretty standard killer running around and killing type of movie.

 

My biggest question is where did that dude get that sweet battery operated drill circa the 1980s? He was running all over the place with that thing with no electrical cord in sight.

post #19213 of 19251
It's a great flick. Top shelf slasher.
post #19214 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

So, I just watched 1990's THE RIFT (aka ENDLESS DESCENT)...

 

You know you’re in for something special when “Dialogue Coach” shares equal billing with the screenwriters! One year after 1989’s “Underwater Mayhem” onslaught (THE ABYSS, DEEPSTAR SIX, LEVIATHAN, LORDS OF THE DEEP) we have THE RIFT, which would be right at home with those others (give or take the quality level).

 

The film is super cheesy, played almost totally straight, and features a multinational cast of characters with varying degrees of unconvincing accents. For its first act, the movie is a pretty bog-standard genre schlock effort, with pedestrian plotting and direction; however, things eventually take a turn and the result is some pretty delightful (and over-the-top gory) "creature feature" weirdness that makes the earlier sections of the story worth the wait. The presence of vets like Ray Wise and R. Lee Ermey is only ever a good thing, too. Couple that with some gloriously unconvincing underwater photography and miniatures, and THE RIFT is definitely a fun watch. Is it actually a “good” movie, though?  Nope!

 

I blind-bought this one on blu-ray a couple years back since I am a sucker for deep sea monster movies.  I liked it enough, but it never really comes close to LEVIATHAN or DEEP STAR SIX.  I thought the creature effects / gore / production design etc looked pretty great in stills, but in motion... not so much.      

post #19215 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop View Post
 

 

I blind-bought this one on blu-ray a couple years back since I am a sucker for deep sea monster movies.  I liked it enough, but it never really comes close to LEVIATHAN or DEEP STAR SIX.  I thought the creature effects / gore / production design etc looked pretty great in stills, but in motion... not so much.      


I think the creature stuff is A LOT of fun, though when the camera lingers a bit too long you can start to see the seams.  There's a nice variety of weird monsters, too, which I always appreciate.  And R. Lee Ermey gets to play a more nuanced version of his hardass persona, which is interesting to see. 

 

I could have done without the obvious ALIEN double cross, though; it's amazing that people were still ripping that off ELEVEN YEARS later.

post #19216 of 19251

I can definitely appreciate all the weird monsters, but its a double-edged sword.  Seeing a promo image like this:

 

 

set expectations (for me at least) that the movie just couldn't live up to.  It just looks so bad when its moving around.      

post #19217 of 19251

I don't disagree, but I think that's part of the charm of low budget efforts like that.

post #19218 of 19251

I need to check out LORDS OF THE DEEP.  Somehow, that one has eluded me.

post #19219 of 19251
Belloq, agreed on The Rift. Thinking about those underwater miniatures still make me chuckle. Real cutting edge 1990s FX work there, eat your heart out Jim Cameron!
post #19220 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop View Post
 

I need to check out LORDS OF THE DEEP.  Somehow, that one has eluded me.

I know I rented this as a kid.  I have no memory of specifics, but I do recall I was not impressed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Belloq, agreed on The Rift. Thinking about those underwater miniatures still make me chuckle. Real cutting edge 1990s FX work there, eat your heart out Jim Cameron!

State of the art!

post #19221 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

and THE RIFT is definitely a fun watch. Is it actually a “good” movie, though?  Nope!

 

Considering the director was the auteur that gave us Pieces, Slugs, and Pod People, no surprise there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrichead View Post

I watched Slumber Party Massacre today.

 

What a hoot that was. 

 

I agree. As the script was written as a comedy but filmed straight, such a magical 80's drill shouldn't be thought about logically for too long.

 

Tonight I watched something on Amazon Video, and believe it or not it was an example of a film they offer which does not even have an IMDb entry. It was highly unusual: a horror movie from MONGOLIA. This 2015 film is known as The Doll and while Amazon compared it to "the Chucky series" that is a misnomer; instead, think The Monkey's Paw short story. A young woman down on her luck buys a little doll which of course is creepy as hell. If you offer the doll blood and ask for a wish, the wish comes true, but at a price. For example, she wants money but gets it after a bus she was on crashes and she pilfers the cash from a dead dude. In addition, her mom is in the hospital and her boss is a full-on Harvey Weinstein.

 

I had no idea what to expect; I'll say the movie was average. As I was worried it'd be bad, not thinking so means I am relieved. Sure it is cliched but the film was still watchable. There are some gory moments and you do get to see Mongolian Harvey assault her. His fate: amazingly over the top. As it was usually competently made, I do not regret seeing something genre from a country with not a long & storied history of movie-making. Oh, and the subtitles weren't always translated into perfect English, which added to the charm. While I am sure Wish Upon is unintentionally more hilarious, I will hazard a guess and say this was better. Plus, Wish Upon did not have a wacky dream sequence where the little doll is shown talking... and the doll becomes a "little person" speaking in a demonic voice. What little CG you see is not great so doing it in such a wacky way may have been for the best.

post #19222 of 19251

I finally saw Phantasm RaVager. Eh. Reggie Bannister and Angus Scrimm bring it and it's cool they just went and made the thing after languishing in development hell for so long.  However, doing it on the sly over a period of years with limited resources hampered it pretty severely.

 

The effects are really bad. Some of the practical effects work but the CGI reeks of "We did this over a weekend in After Effects". As for the story, the piecemeal quality helps and hurts it (but mostly hurts). Giving an aging Reggie dementia is not only a poignant choice given how long the franchise has been around but it also fits the surreal quality the films are known for. It pretty much stops there. The actual execution, save for Bannister's performance, is pretty sloppy. The film started out as a series of webisodes in the 00s that starred Reggie. They were eventually able to turn the whole thing into a feature, which sounds good on paper but given the webisodes were obviously meant to be very short, the narrative ends up being extremely jumpy and disjointed.

 

Some familiar and new faces show up but none of them are really given anything to do. The standouts are Scrimm and Bannister and if you're a fan of the franchise, they make it worth seeing. Otherwise?  I found it only slightly better than IV, which is pretty faint praise.

post #19223 of 19251

Here's an interesting little retrospective piece for BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA on its 25th Anniversary...

 

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/history-legacy-showmanship/coppola-dracula-25th

post #19224 of 19251

I seem to recall some positive word of mouth in this thread last year, but even still, A CHRISTMAS HORROR STORY caught me off guard.  I really liked it.  As is the case with all horror anthologies, some stories are stronger than others (the changeling segment is great, while the Krampus stuff is kinda weak), but there's a ton of variety here - zombies, ghosts, monsters, etc.  Something for everyone.  Even William Shatner's shtick was working for me; his wrap-around segment ends the film on a high note.  Lots of fun, and will probably be in the seasonal rotation going forward.  

post #19225 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop View Post

I seem to recall some positive word of mouth in this thread last year, but even still, A CHRISTMAS HORROR STORY caught me off guard.  I really liked it.  As is the case with all horror anthologies, some stories are stronger than others (the changeling segment is great, while the Krampus stuff is kinda weak), but there's a ton of variety here - zombies, ghosts, monsters, etc.  Something for everyone.  Even William Shatner's shtick was working for me; his wrap-around segment ends the film on a high note.  Lots of fun, and will probably be in the seasonal rotation going forward.  

I was super impressed by the twist at the end of the movie. It caught me completely off guard. Overall, it's probably the best horror anthology since VHS 2 (the alien abduction story is literally one of the scariest things I've ever seen).
post #19226 of 19251

Has anyone here seen a movie called Hunted?

 

I watched it on Amazon Prime.

 

It's a found footage movie about two hunter guys in a forest and things turn to shit.

 

Pretty standard beginning, but then the creeps start to set in.

 

Shades of Willow Creek and OG Blair Witch Project.

post #19227 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Pufncraft View Post


I was super impressed by the twist at the end of the movie. It caught me completely off guard. Overall, it's probably the best horror anthology since VHS 2 (the alien abduction story is literally one of the scariest things I've ever seen).

I didn't expect the twist either. An enjoyable anthology. They tried with their Krampus, but I liked the one with Adam Scott better. 

 

I'll have to go back and re-visit VHS 2.

post #19228 of 19251
Was about to chuck away some old newspapers but something in one of the Black Friday ad inserts caught my eye. Apparently this is a pretty hot holiday toy. Great way to introduce your kids to the Cenobites!

https://www.amazon.com/Merge-Cube-Holograms-Winning-Purchase/dp/B0741FNH18
post #19229 of 19251

WORLD WAR Z - The Video Game

 

post #19230 of 19251
World War Z was already like watching a video game being played, sooo
post #19231 of 19251

So Annabelle creation wasn't horrible. Pleasant surprise. 

post #19232 of 19251

If you're looking to watch some Christmas-related horror movies, here's a list of all of them ranked:

 

https://filmschoolrejects.com/every-christmas-horror-movie-ranked/?utm_content=bufferab258&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

 

I've never heard of Blood Beat.  I need to see that.

post #19233 of 19251

I had the oddest double feature tonight.

 

First up was Personal Shopper, which was further proof that to me that 2017 was a banner year for horror.  Sadly, I'm not overly familiar with director Olivier Assayas' work.  I never saw his other film with Kristen Stewart, Clouds of Sils Maria, which I hear is far from a horror film but deals with certain similar themes.  Shopper mostly stays away from the tropes of the genre, but the scary stuff is pretty unsettling and surprising.  The texting gets a little redundant on the thriller side of things, but the film is more about loss and identity than anything else.

 

Secondly, I caught Warlock: The Armageddon, which was a batshit sequel directed by Anthony Hickox of Waxwork and Hellraiser III fame.  It took me a second to realize why Zach Galligan had such a short cameo, but it was a pleasant surprise.  The film is of two worlds.  The practical effects are solid and there are some really gorey and semi-creative kills sprinkled throughout.  Then, there's the visual effects, which are unwatchable.  The druid warrior's various training montages miserably attempt to be funny, and the Jedi-like ripoff theme is mostly distracting.  If you like watching sequels, I'd almost consider recommending it since it's so much meaner than the first film, but you're better off just watching Waxwork again.

post #19234 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
 

Secondly, I caught Warlock: The Armageddon, which was a batshit sequel directed by Anthony Hickox of Waxwork and Hellraiser III fame.  It took me a second to realize why Zach Galligan had such a short cameo, but it was a pleasant surprise.  The film is of two worlds.  The practical effects are solid and there are some really gorey and semi-creative kills sprinkled throughout.  Then, there's the visual effects, which are unwatchable.  The druid warrior's various training montages miserably attempt to be funny, and the Jedi-like ripoff theme is mostly distracting.  If you like watching sequels, I'd almost consider recommending it since it's so much meaner than the first film, but you're better off just watching Waxwork again.

Wait until you realize Drew Barrymore has a cameo in Waxwork 2. 

 

But yeah Warlock Armageddon is really fucking fun. I suggest anyone to pick up that Warlock Collection blu-ray from the Vestron Collection. Don't watch the third one though, you'll be sorry.

post #19235 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
 

First up was Personal Shopper, which was further proof that to me that 2017 was a banner year for horror.  Sadly, I'm not overly familiar with director Olivier Assayas' work.  I never saw his other film with Kristen Stewart, Clouds of Sils Maria, which I hear is far from a horror film but deals with certain similar themes.  Shopper mostly stays away from the tropes of the genre, but the scary stuff is pretty unsettling and surprising.  The texting gets a little redundant on the thriller side of things, but the film is more about loss and identity than anything else.

I saw this one back when it opened in the first half of the year, and it's stayed with me since.  I think Assayas could have used maybe 10% more overt genre trappings in the film, but overall it's a pretty haunting experience.  I even thought it was a bit giallo-inflected with that texting plot; it doesn't fully go there, but there's definitely that creepy idea of being stalked and manipulated by somebody unseen. 

 

And I think Kristen Stewart is just terrific in the movie.  I've never been a particular fan of hers, but her role in the film is perfect for her particular kind of screen energy.

post #19236 of 19251

ICYMI:

 

 

Say Something Nice: CREEPSHOW 2 (1987)

Michael Gornick’s 1987 sequel to George Romero’s horror anthology features one of the best vignettes of the entire CREEPSHOW franchise.

 

By A.M. Novak Dec. 06, 2017

 

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12/06/say-something-nice-creepshow-2-1987

 

 

"Five years after George A. Romero’s Creepshow stole the box office’s cold, dead heart, first-time feature director Michael Gornick (Romero’s cinematographer) put together a trio of Stephen King stories, presenting them in the same EC Comics-style format that made the original Creepshow so endearing over the years. However, those involved were unable to ascend to the level of quirky horror movie magic that Romero and King had created the first time around. Creepshow 2 features only three segments (“Old Chief Wood’nhead”, “The Raft”, and “The Hitchhiker”) instead of five like its predecessor, and together those three are fairly underwhelming in comparison. But the stories get stronger as the film ambles along its 92-minute runtime, so if you can get through the first story, you’re then rewarded with some solid tales of terror.

 

No one claims “Old Chief Wood’nhead” as their favorite segment. No one. Anyone who says they do is a narc. A decorative cigar store statue of an indigenous chief taking revenge on behalf of his slain elderly store owners sounds fairly rad, but it just doesn’t pan out that way. While the segment features some memorable scenes of scalping, it’s no Maniac. Its biggest flaw is the tragic mood it strikes throughout, making it tonally incongruous with the rest of its Creepshow brethren.

 

The general consensus seems to nod in the direction of the second segment, “The Raft”, as the greatest story of the three. And it’s certainly a good one; a group of blazed-out, sexed-up teens go for a dip in a lake (passing the “Restricted Area” sign along the way) and encounters a ravenous, sentient oil slick…thing. I still cringe at the celery-snap crack of one boy’s femur as he’s pulled through the slats of the raft that serves as the teens’ only refuge from a gruesome death. “The Raft” is a good’n.

 

But I’m here to advocate for “The Hitchhiker” as the raddest entry in the film."

post #19237 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

ICYMI:

 

 

Say Something Nice: CREEPSHOW 2 (1987)

Michael Gornick’s 1987 sequel to George Romero’s horror anthology features one of the best vignettes of the entire CREEPSHOW franchise.

 

By A.M. Novak Dec. 06, 2017

 

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12/06/say-something-nice-creepshow-2-1987

 

 

"Five years after George A. Romero’s Creepshow stole the box office’s cold, dead heart, first-time feature director Michael Gornick (Romero’s cinematographer) put together a trio of Stephen King stories, presenting them in the same EC Comics-style format that made the original Creepshow so endearing over the years. However, those involved were unable to ascend to the level of quirky horror movie magic that Romero and King had created the first time around. Creepshow 2 features only three segments (“Old Chief Wood’nhead”, “The Raft”, and “The Hitchhiker”) instead of five like its predecessor, and together those three are fairly underwhelming in comparison. But the stories get stronger as the film ambles along its 92-minute runtime, so if you can get through the first story, you’re then rewarded with some solid tales of terror.

 

No one claims “Old Chief Wood’nhead” as their favorite segment. No one. Anyone who says they do is a narc. A decorative cigar store statue of an indigenous chief taking revenge on behalf of his slain elderly store owners sounds fairly rad, but it just doesn’t pan out that way. While the segment features some memorable scenes of scalping, it’s no Maniac. Its biggest flaw is the tragic mood it strikes throughout, making it tonally incongruous with the rest of its Creepshow brethren.

 

The general consensus seems to nod in the direction of the second segment, “The Raft”, as the greatest story of the three. And it’s certainly a good one; a group of blazed-out, sexed-up teens go for a dip in a lake (passing the “Restricted Area” sign along the way) and encounters a ravenous, sentient oil slick…thing. I still cringe at the celery-snap crack of one boy’s femur as he’s pulled through the slats of the raft that serves as the teens’ only refuge from a gruesome death. “The Raft” is a good’n.

 

But I’m here to advocate for “The Hitchhiker” as the raddest entry in the film."


I like all three segments of CREEPSHOW 2, but "The Hitchhiker" is my favorite.  It's just delightful. 

post #19238 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

I saw this one back when it opened in the first half of the year, and it's stayed with me since.  I think Assayas could have used maybe 10% more overt genre trappings in the film, but overall it's a pretty haunting experience.  I even thought it was a bit giallo-inflected with that texting plot; it doesn't fully go there, but there's definitely that creepy idea of being stalked and manipulated by somebody unseen. 

 

And I think Kristen Stewart is just terrific in the movie.  I've never been a particular fan of hers, but her role in the film is perfect for her particular kind of screen energy.

 

The giallo influence hadn't really crossed my mind, but I'd say that's an apt description for that plot.  The texting gets to be a bit much, but it's mostly an effective idea that grounds the film into something sort of tangible.

post #19239 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post
 

Wait until you realize Drew Barrymore has a cameo in Waxwork 2. 

 

But yeah Warlock Armageddon is really fucking fun. I suggest anyone to pick up that Warlock Collection blu-ray from the Vestron Collection. Don't watch the third one though, you'll be sorry.

 

I haven't seen Waxwork 2 in a very, very long time.  It's past due for another viewing.

 

The completist in me will want to get to the third Warlock eventually.  I can see it already.  

post #19240 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
 

 

I haven't seen Waxwork 2 in a very, very long time.  It's past due for another viewing.

 

The completist in me will want to get to the third Warlock eventually.  I can see it already.  

I don't think it was even a Warlock film. I think it was a movie that featured a Warlock so they made it part of the franchise which promptly killed it. It was around that time that the whole straight to video industry figured out that they could shoot everything in Prague to save money. So you had films set in like Jersey that CLEARLY weren't.

post #19241 of 19251
I’m not exactly blown away by Christmas Horror Story, but it was fun, and above average for a low budget horror anthology. Some surprisingly strong stuff throughout, and yes, the ending was pretty damn good.
post #19242 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post
 

I don't think it was even a Warlock film. I think it was a movie that featured a Warlock so they made it part of the franchise which promptly killed it. It was around that time that the whole straight to video industry figured out that they could shoot everything in Prague to save money. So you had films set in like Jersey that CLEARLY weren't.

If I remember correctly (thanks Fangoria), Julian Sands was reluctant due to other opportunities, and Payne stepped in.  A far cry from Passenger 57.  Still, Boti Ann Bliss got her start from this, then graduated to CSI.

post #19243 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennium1 View Post
 

If I remember correctly (thanks Fangoria), Julian Sands was reluctant due to other opportunities, and Payne stepped in.  A far cry from Passenger 57.  Still, Boti Ann Bliss got her start from this, then graduated to CSI.

Ohh the cute Wiccan girl. Ok well I guess the movie isn't the worst then.

post #19244 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrichead View Post

Has anyone here seen a movie called Hunted?

 

I actually hadn't heard of the 2014 movie known as The Hunted (I have to specify as there are several available on Amazon known as that or just Hunted) but it's now in my lengthy queue.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

So Annabelle creation wasn't horrible. Pleasant surprise. 

 

I was glad too; it definitely is more tolerable than the original. I did not love it, but I still liked.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

If you're looking to watch some Christmas-related horror movies, here's a list of all of them ranked:

 

I've never heard of Blood Beat.  I need to see that.

 

Here is what I said about Blood Beat last fall right after I watched it:

 

Tonight, what I watched... it was something I heard about on Letterboxd. It is an obscure early 80's horror film called Blood Beat. It's from some French dude and what a bizarre acidtrip it was. Two siblings in college visit their mom and her live-in boyfriend in the middle of the rural Wisconsin woods. The guy brought along his girlfriend Sara; she and the mom have some sort of psychic link; girlfriend also has a psychic link with... get this, an undead spirit of a Japanese samurai warrior. Little of what you see in the movie is explained. The one bit where they try to provide backstory at the very end, the sound mixing was so poor you couldn't really hear much of the dialogue so you're in essence still left in the dark and you have to try and figure out on your own what the general story even is.

 

Its low budget does harm it, the story really meanders at points, characters with no connection to the main family are introduced so they could be killed a few minutes later, the acting isn't the best (although there are some tremendous rural people you see throughout) and it indeed is absurd seeing a samurai wandering around rural Wisconsin. Yet, while the movie is difficult to rate, I guess I can say it's average. There actually are some effective sequences, the animated effects are charming in a low-fi way (some people have The Glow like they're from The Last Dragon!) and the score (when it isn't stock music, like O Fortuna) is synth goodness that "the kids" would probably like today. It's a bold movie that doesn't entirely work but it is so odd and far-out it entrances you while you watch, even when there are some slow moments. I'll never forget this, that is for damn sure. It's easy to find online, if you catch my drift. Also, samurai does some killing because Sara orgasms. I don't know why either. On Letterboxd I saw several people compare this with Ulli Lommel's The Boogeyman, so that's what I'll go with when trying to explain the vibe this has. It really is strange.

post #19245 of 19251
First two seasons of Ash vs Evil Dead are finally up at Netflix, for anyone who missed them.

Also noticed season two of Inside No 9 was recently added to Hulu. Weird and wonderful drama/black comedy with mystery and sometimes even horror elements, with each episode offering a new self contained story. Starring Steve Pemberton & Reece Shearsmith (of The League of Gentlemen and Psychoville fame). Recommended.
post #19246 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Also noticed season two of Inside No 9 was recently added to Hulu. Weird and wonderful drama/black comedy with mystery and sometimes even horror elements, with each episode offering a new self contained story. Starring Steve Pemberton & Reece Shearsmith (of The League of Gentlemen and Psychoville fame). Recommended.

This is a nice little series.

 

I watched the first three eps of season 1, and it's a nice little anthology show so far.

 

Thanks for the heads up.

post #19247 of 19251

Is the first season of Slasher worth watching? I watched the second and enjoyed it a lot, a nice old-school slasher throwback, reminiscent of Harper's Island.

post #19248 of 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 

Is the first season of Slasher worth watching? I watched the second and enjoyed it a lot, a nice old-school slasher throwback, reminiscent of Harper's Island.

Yeah it's fun. The ending is a bit of a let down though.

post #19249 of 19251
If you enjoyed season 2, then definitely check out S1.

Slasher is a show where I would hesitate to call it great, because I know that the quality is simply not comparable to all the truly great TV that is out there. But I am quite fond of it. It fills a niche that isn't really being met, and it does it well. Plus it has several kills any classic slasher villain would be proud to call his own.
post #19250 of 19251

Caught a DTV oddity last night called BULLET HEAD.  For the first act, it seems like its going to be RESERVOIR DOGS meets CUJO, and it kind of is that, but as the film goes on, the horror elements fall to the wayside as it leans on the strong cast and becomes a semi-emotional character drama.  Its a weird film - the killer dog even gets poignant POV flashbacks - but worth watching.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Creature Corner Main
CHUD.com Community › Forums › CREATURE CORNER › Creature Corner Main › Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.