CHUD.com Community › Forums › DVD, HOME THEATER, & GADGETS › Chewer Tech › The Home Theatre Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Home Theatre Thread - Page 7

post #301 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

Anyone here have a projector? Calibrating it up till now means I put it in THX mode but I think maybe I should finally do something about that.

I've never calibrated my projector simply because I've always had it in less than ideal rooms. Two living rooms and now a really poorly built addition that has white walls. The gf and I are hoping to buy a bigger house next year and my checklist includes a proper designated theatre room. By that I mean I'll paint a rec room, I can't afford to build sub bases filled with sand or anything. I'll then upgrade my projector. Even though none of my places have been ideal for projectors I can't recommend them highly enough to any cinephile. Last Friday I watched Star Trek Beyond on my 106" screen with the sound cranked it was awesome!
post #302 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

Ahhh yessssssss. 

post #303 of 408

So, a series of errors, each of which was individually very unlikely, led to five of my speakers in my living room blowing out their tweeters in a fraction of a second.  Extremely upsetting.  Plus, the line hasn't been made for years and you cannot buy replacement tweeters anywhere that I can find.

 

Lovely.  Just lovely.  Going to be fun replacing them all.  

post #304 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
 

So, a series of errors, each of which was individually very unlikely, led to five of my speakers in my living room blowing out their tweeters in a fraction of a second.  Extremely upsetting.  Plus, the line hasn't been made for years and you cannot buy replacement tweeters anywhere that I can find.

 

Lovely.  Just lovely.  Going to be fun replacing them all.  

I had a surge kill my blu-ray player, receiver and projector a few years ago. It wasn't fun. 

post #305 of 408

I've got a question that seems to be google-proof. Has anybody tried playing back a UHD 4k Bluray on a 1080p TV?

 

I've got an Xbox One S and a 1080p Vizio from 2012. If it could play a UHD disc and downsample/downconvert it to 1080p, theoretically I could still get visual benefits from the superior h265 compression.

 

All I could find online is an outdated discussion from January. They were speculating on whether or not HDCP 2.2 would be required for downconverted playback. No one ever followed up on the question. (My 2012 Vizio definitely doesn't have HDCP 2.2)

 

I'm mainly wondering about this to see if it would be worth it to spend the extra money on a UHD/Blu combo pack of a movie, so I could have a futureproof copy and also experiment with the differences.

post #306 of 408
I'd say go with it if you notice those things.

I wasn't going to be buying anything this black friday*, but I might grab some UHD discs.

*sorry it's African American Friday.
post #307 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

 

I'm mainly wondering about this to see if it would be worth it to spend the extra money on a UHD/Blu combo pack of a movie, so I could have a futureproof copy and also experiment with the differences.

 

"Extra money?"  What are we talking about, ten bucks?  

post #308 of 408

Thereabouts, depending on the title.

 

Still trying to figure out if a UHD disc will actually play when I put it in, or if the Xbox will just say "Error: HDCP standard incompatable" or "Error: Cannot playback on 1080p display".

post #309 of 408
I remember vaguely that you can set the xbox one s to 1080p, and I did play some regular blu rays before on a regular 1080p tv. I guess worst case is to try it out with a UHD from a place with a decent return policy or bite the bullet. Some deals are going on now, so maybe try picking up one and see what happens. If your TV has issues, I'll cover you*.

*$1 is the usual wager I say.
post #310 of 408

Well, I'm sad. LG, the last bastion of 3D TVs, is not releasing any TVs with 3D in their 2017 lineup. Which means I've got to get a 2016 model with 3D before they're gone, else my 3D blu-ray collection will be rendered unplayable with my next TV upgrade (barring going to the trouble of ripping them to TnB files and playing them back in Virtual Desktop. Or somebody actually making a real blu-ray player software that works on the Vive).

 

So the question is: do I splurge, and go for the OLED 4K 3D TV (currently priced at around $3000. Or $2500 for the curved one. God damn did that gimmick fucking die on the vine), or do I be responsible and get the LCD 4K 3DTV that's going for around $1200? Are there any lifetime specs on OLEDs? Will it fade out and die over the next five years? I've had my current Samsung since 2010, and it's still pretty solid. I think the blacks are maybe not as black as they used to be, but it's edgelit, so they were never as black as they could've been anyway.

 

I'm actually kind of mad about the whole thing. All of the tech to do active 3D is standard on every TV now. They all have 120hz displays, they all have blutooth and/or wifi. Making a TV a 3D TV should be doable entirely in firmware. But no, 3D as a feature somehow actively turned people off of buying TVs, instead of being a feature that everybody had but nobody used, like SmartTV.

post #311 of 408

During the holidays, I was looking at one of those OLED TVs from LG.  Talking to the sales rep on the floor that day, I asked about the 3D... and man, did he sound immediately frustrated by the whole thing.  

 

Not because he loved 3D, but because of just how much people were immediately put off a TV by the option even being included.

 

"NO NO, I don't want 3D."

 

"It doesn't cost you anything.  You don't have to use--"

 

"NO NO I don't want to put on glasses!"

 

 

I was SO tempted over the holidays to get one of the OLEDs.  But I managed to fight through it.  But if I did get one, I did want to get one that had 3D.  Because I have some 3D blu-rays too.  

 

From some of the reviews I read on these OLEDs, people seemed to be excited by how future-proof it was.  I don't know what that means in the case of OLEDs, exactly...

post #312 of 408
I've been curious about OLEDs since the narrative began that they would offer a genuine upgrade from plasma in terms of picture accuracy and quality. I'm sensitive to motion blur, and LEDs are too imprecise for me. I'm less bothered by the hyperreality of 4K.

Shame that only LG seem to have the enthusiasm to make them.
post #313 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

During the holidays, I was looking at one of those OLED TVs from LG.  Talking to the sales rep on the floor that day, I asked about the 3D... and man, did he sound immediately frustrated by the whole thing.  

 

Not because he loved 3D, but because of just how much people were immediately put off a TV by the option even being included.

 

"NO NO, I don't want 3D."

 

"It doesn't cost you anything.  You don't have to use--"

 

"NO NO I don't want to put on glasses!"

 

 

I was SO tempted over the holidays to get one of the OLEDs.  But I managed to fight through it.  But if I did get one, I did want to get one that had 3D.  Because I have some 3D blu-rays too.  

 

From some of the reviews I read on these OLEDs, people seemed to be excited by how future-proof it was.  I don't know what that means in the case of OLEDs, exactly...

Well I don't know about future proof but they sure are pretty. The problem is that they aren't going to stop at 4k, it's going to go to 8K and most people are still watching DVD. Personally I got over 3D about 5 minutes after I got my 3D projector. Thank god that isn't why I bought it. 

post #314 of 408

So, googling tells me that LG claims an OLED lifespan of 100,000 hours, which is 30 years of 10hr/day use.

 

I think I'm talking myself into getting the OLED. I'll need to wait to see what my tax return looks like.

post #315 of 408

no!  you're making ME reconsider it too!!!

post #316 of 408
I don't want a 3D TV.
post #317 of 408

"but it's not costing you anything extr- - -"

post #318 of 408

OLEDs are sweet.  Near perfect black levels and low level shadow detail without the artifacts that plasmas can have (mostly dithering, if you sit too close, you can see the individual sub pixels that make up the other colors).  I'd probably want a model with 3D, just to have the capability.

 

Quote:
 Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

I've been curious about OLEDs since the narrative began that they would offer a genuine upgrade from plasma in terms of picture accuracy and quality. I'm sensitive to motion blur, and LEDs are too imprecise for me. I'm less bothered by the hyperreality of 4K.

Shame that only LG seem to have the enthusiasm to make them.

 

Sony's supposed to be stepping into the market as well.  One thing that does worry me is display response time (re gaming).  Most modern sets have a buttload of processing hardware between the connection and display. resulting in increased input lag.  My Samsung plasma is mostly featureless, and as a result, is amazingly smooth and responsive.

post #319 of 408
OLED suffering from black crush and no 70+ inch models that don't cost as much as a car.

Ended up with a Sony 75xxx940c myself, and could not be happier.
Edited by Overlord - 1/7/17 at 9:18pm
post #320 of 408
I was wondering about the black crush.

How extreme does that get?
post #321 of 408
Got the Sony 65" 930D, happy with that too. Thats just for the family room, but it has the Xbox One S so it gets used when watching a UHD Blu Ray.

Still have a theater room with the 3D 1080P projector that has the better sound setup (family room has an amazing sound bar...but still).

Oh and Sonos are awesome for our music/sun room. Might cave, and get some for the office (which I just got an amazing 27" monitor, going to keep an eye on 4/5K screens down the future).

Side note: Apple AirPods are amazing.
post #322 of 408
Reading all this makes me realize my set up ain't shit in the grand scheme of things here.

Oh well...least I'm still happy with it.

If I'm not filthy obscenely wealthy by the time I need to upgrade/replace....I'm gonna be in real trouble..
post #323 of 408

The LG OLED's are solid.  Being a Plasma fan it's the only thing that comes close to black levels, just don't have the $$$$ to buy one yet.

post #324 of 408
There were a few HD CRTs which had the deepest blacks I could think of...heavy as hell.
post #325 of 408
Back when HDTVs were starting to appear at stores, I remember being VERY drawn to those HD CRTs.
post #326 of 408
Now when Clark says Martha, its like he's telling you to save her.
post #327 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Back when HDTVs were starting to appear at stores, I remember being VERY drawn to those HD CRTs.
I had one of those for a good many years (all the way up till late 2011). It worked just fine for my needs with just that and an HDMI DVD player.

It looked pretty good!

...then I discovered the joys of multi grand ultra flat HDTVs and blu ray and I've never been the same since. It's a sickness..
post #328 of 408

And the curved OLED has dropped to 1999, now. Starting to put it into 'eh, might as well' territory. I'll need to go take a look at it, determine if the curvature messes up the 3D any. It's really hard to tell if the 3D is actually any good on the passive displays because the demo loop uses what appears to be a 1080p Over/Under clip, instead of a full 1080p per eye image.

post #329 of 408

I'm not too keen on the curved TV's they are great from a perfect sitting position but if you sit elsewhere they look a bit shit. I tend to move around my lounge from couch to recliner, as the mood takes me. 

post #330 of 408

Spent today going to a couple of different Fry's looking at the OLEDs, and I think I am going to go with that curved one. I'd rather get the flat, but a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks, and as far I could tell it still looked great even when viewed at pretty extreme angles. Certainly no worse than being off center in a theater with a curved screen.

 

It's also probably the best 3D I've seen outside of VR. Last time I looked at them the interlacing lines were really obvious, but this time looking at it from a regular viewing distance it was seamless. At one point one of the store associates was arguing with a customer about (I think, they weren't speaking in English) how to hook up component cables to them and since I was apparently invisible they stood right in front of me and shifted the tv around to see the back, and when the guy leaned close to the TV during the 3D demo loop it looked like he was going in to the screen.

post #331 of 408

Got it. Some frustrations. Bought one, brought it home, plugged it in, turned it on. No picture. Some bright lines on the right side of the screen. Packed it back up and took it back and exchanged it for their only remaining one in stock. Made sure it turned on in-store, put it in my car much more gently than last time. It's all set up now, and damn it's hot.

 

Put on Tron Legacy, because if you're going to check out something with insane contrasts and 3D, there really is no better demo disc (I also still like the movie). And honestly I don't I've ever seen it look better than it did. There is sort of a vertical hotspot for the 3D to look 100% right, which is a little annoying, but even when you're not in it, the ghosting is barely noticeable, and definitely no worse than an active 3D LCD.

 

One thing that it doesn't have that I wish it did was the ability to rename the inputs. Samsungs have a thing where you can rename each input, and if you do something like rename HDMI1 to 'PC' it automatically adjusts the colour space of the screen to the more limited PC colour space. It's not a huge deal, but it does make using it as a monitor a little better. But at the same time, since I'm still running my PC through my home theater, and the receiver doesn't support 4K, I'm stuck at upscaled 1080p until I get an HDMI 2.0 splitter box (WinDVD Pro throws a fit if I try to watch a blu-ray when there are multiple displays connected, so I can't run one HDMI to the receiver and a DisplayPort to HDMI to the TV. I could just buy a dedicated blu-ray player, but I'm out of power sockets).

 

Gaming tests are still to come, but since I'm not really a millisecond counter when I play games, I'll probably be happy.

post #332 of 408

uote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I was wondering about the black crush.

How extreme does that get?

 

The examples online are pretty extreme looking.  There's some speculation on the avsforum that the problem is relating to the method used by LG (white oled with an RGB overlay).  Black crush is very source dependent, but the first time you notice it you notice it all the time.  OLED color reproduction, black levels, and refresh/motion handling are second to none.  But it's taking too long for large sets to not cost more than a car and this is now the third generation with black crush syndrome.  Fix it. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
 

Spent today going to a couple of different Fry's looking at the OLEDs, and I think I am going to go with that curved one. I'd rather get the flat, but a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks, and as far I could tell it still looked great even when viewed at pretty extreme angles. Certainly no worse than being off center in a theater with a curved screen.

 

It's also probably the best 3D I've seen outside of VR. Last time I looked at them the interlacing lines were really obvious, but this time looking at it from a regular viewing distance it was seamless. At one point one of the store associates was arguing with a customer about (I think, they weren't speaking in English) how to hook up component cables to them and since I was apparently invisible they stood right in front of me and shifted the tv around to see the back, and when the guy leaned close to the TV during the 3D demo loop it looked like he was going in to the screen.

 

Wait, did you get a 55 inch tv?  Is this for a small bedroom?

 

;)

 

There is no comparison in terms 3d reproduction.  OLED, and plasma for that matter, are heads and shoulders above the rest.  3d is refresh rate dependent and OLED and plasma, for all intents and purposes when it comes to human vision, have infinite refresh rates. 

post #333 of 408
And does your media have an infinite refresh rate to match up?

My demo disks: UHD The Revenant, UHD Batman v Superman, Transformers Dark of the Moon 3D, Alien.

That said: Mad Max and The Martian UHDs may dethrone Alien and Batman v Superman.
post #334 of 408
Question for @SAIRUS, @McIrish and any other projector people.

I have an Optoma HD600x:

Projection technology: DLP
Projector brightness: 1600 ANSI lumens
Projector native resolution: WXGA (1280x720)

Maximum Resolution: 1600 x 1200 pixels.

What will 4K disks look like on it? I assume I would buy a UHD player and set output to 1080p. The projector accepts 1080p from my Blu-ray player and then presumably downscales it. Blus look good but not as sharp or colorful as on my TV.

Also, if I stick with my Blu-ray player should I set the output to the projector's native resolution, 1280x720p? Better than downscaling from 1080p? Thanks
post #335 of 408

Two weeks in with the OLED, and I think the polarizing filter for 3D might be damaged in some way.

 

Using a half-black/half-white image and turning on SBS 3D, this is what the left eye sees (should be solid black):

 

This is what the right eye sees:

 

This results in some really distracting ghosting for anything that has any depth in those areas of the screen. If I raise up so I'm looking at that top section where it's bleeding, it'll clear up, but those spots at the bottom will get way worse. And if I sit like 15 feet away instead of 8 it'll also clear up.

 

I'm starting to wish I'd just gotten a refund after the first one I brought home was completely broken and gone to Best Buy or ordered from Amazon or something. Especially since I'm 99% certain that this one that they gave me in exchange was open box that they'd hastily torn the 'open box' tag off of.

post #336 of 408

damn...

 

After hearing that these would be the last models with 3D, I started thinking about splurging on this nonsense again...

 

...but that's not a good sign.   Where did you purchase from?

post #337 of 408

Fry's. Probably won't be making a major electronics purchase from them again.

post #338 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

Question for @SAIRUS, @McIrish and any other projector people.

I have an Optoma HD600x:

Projection technology: DLP
Projector brightness: 1600 ANSI lumens
Projector native resolution: WXGA (1280x720)

Maximum Resolution: 1600 x 1200 pixels.

What will 4K disks look like on it? I assume I would buy a UHD player and set output to 1080p. The projector accepts 1080p from my Blu-ray player and then presumably downscales it. Blus look good but not as sharp or colorful as on my TV.

Also, if I stick with my Blu-ray player should I set the output to the projector's native resolution, 1280x720p? Better than downscaling from 1080p? Thanks

I can only assume it will look the same as a blu ray. The limit on your projector would mix it out to the same resolution.

4K will most likely be the last physical format. I love how most of my blurays look and I can't afford to upgrade. Have no idea when I'll make the change to 4k
post #339 of 408
I said it with DVD at the time but...how much better do we need this shit to look? Blu ray looks good enough that it's actually caught up with what I'd always imagined the best home video could look like. I don't have near the equipment that a lot of you apparently have and my shit's still gorgeous..
post #340 of 408

nobody NEEDS this shit to look better until it becomes an option that takes over

 

then you have a hard time going back 

 

 

I say this as someone who promised himself that DVD was plenty good enough and that I wouldn't go too hard into blu-ray.

 

whoops

post #341 of 408
I know nobody NEEDS it. That was totally rhetorical. And I said the exact same thing about not upgrading from DVD. But when I saw a blu ray on a nice set up that was done RIGHT...well, that was too pretty to say no to...and here I am.

I guess what I'm really asking is how much better CAN it look? It already damn near looks better than real life. And I haven't even seen a UHD disc..
post #342 of 408

I have indeed seen a UHD trailer for PASSENGERS on a 4K TV.

 

Looks very nice up close.

 

But I don't see how much that would improve anything from a normal viewing distance.

 

 

Yes, I say that now.... but...

post #343 of 408
I haven't seen 4K yet but a lot of people, even experts, say the jump in quality from Blu-ray is not as big as DVD to Blu-ray.
post #344 of 408

I think 4K will be the end of it just because it doesn't seem likely that 8K mastering is going to become a super widespread thing. Even a lot of 4K discs are coming off of 2K masters, as I understand it, because they don't actually have 4K masters for those movies. And a lot of stuff that's shot on 4K gets finaled at 2K. That's why HDR is a 4K specific feature, since they don't actually have a full 4K image they can fill up the extra space with the broader colour data.

 

I suppose when 8K becomes the consumer standard that'll be when they bring at home cinematic 3D back again. Though they'll also probably be competing with 2nd or 3rd gen VR headsets at that point.

post #345 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

I haven't seen 4K yet but a lot of people, even experts, say the jump in quality from Blu-ray is not as big as DVD to Blu-ray.
This is what I've suspected. It's kinda like weight lifting. Put 700 lbs on the bench press. Or put 1700 lbs. Can you even tell the difference? They're both just fucking heavy. That extra thousand pounds makes zero difference. Weird analogy but it's the first thing that sprang to mind..
post #346 of 408

and you can immediately imagine just how only the biggest, dumbest, most expensive movies getting the 4K treatment and release, effectively cutting down the films that get released in general.

 

Wasn't there a comedown in the catalog of releases from VHS to DVD to blu-ray?

post #347 of 408
And some of the shit that gets put on these super formats. Bad Santa 2 in 4K UHD. Who genuinely gives a fuck? Movies that rely heavily on visuals....all the way back to Ben-Hur till now with Civil War and things like that. Yeah, I get that. Having movies like that on some kind of juggernaut format makes sense if you got the dough. But Neighbors 2? Grown Ups? Go fuck yourself..
post #348 of 408
There usually is. VHS was the primary format, so everything was released by default. DVD was the first big format for building a catalog at home, so there was a movement to push out a big variety of stuff. Blu Ray has become an odd mixture of A list stuff and cult movies, with not much in between.
post #349 of 408
Seriously, blu-ray is like a dream format for me. It looks like I've always hoped it could one day all the way back to about '95 when I WANTED a laserdisc player but, being 14, settled for hunting down widescreen VHS tapes (I miss that thrill of the hunt)..
post #350 of 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

And some of the shit that gets put on these super formats. Bad Santa 2 in 4K UHD. Who genuinely gives a fuck? Movies that rely heavily on visuals....all the way back to Ben-Hur till now with Civil War and things like that. Yeah, I get that. Having movies like that on some kind of juggernaut format makes sense if you got the dough. But Neighbors 2? Grown Ups? Go fuck yourself..

 

This is common for new format launches.  Studios will roll out any new release, plus usually low selling catalog stuff, because they know early adopters like myself (cough cough) will be more likely to purchase stuff like that.  I remember so many variations of "Yeah, Godzilla '98 was garbage, but it'll look and sound SO GREAT on DVD".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chewer Tech
CHUD.com Community › Forums › DVD, HOME THEATER, & GADGETS › Chewer Tech › The Home Theatre Thread