or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Mad Men Season 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Men Season 3

post #1 of 513
Thread Starter 
Rich Sommer (Harry) has been posting updates as the show starts shooting its third season via twitter -- @richsommer. (Currently, he got the first script and his 60s haircut. Exciting, I know, right?)

He also said that the official announcement regarding a return date will come very soon from AMC, but is planned for late summer.

This might be my favorite show ever (yes, ever), and I'm really excited for the third season. I'm curious to see whether Weiner picks up the show where he was thinking of picking up the show, and how the question of "Who is Don Draper?" is going to be explored this year. (First season it was very literal, the second more psychological/existential.)

I'm also hoping Colin Hanks comes back, even though he was a big jerk to Peggy in the last episode.

Also, Jon Hamm was the guest on Kevin Pollak's Chat Show and they talked a lot about how the show got started/Hamm got cast, and Hamm's thoughts on Draper. (Including the infamous crotch grab scene.) www.kevinpollakschatshow.com

And season two comes out July 14th!
post #2 of 513
What year is season 3 going to be set? '64 or '65?
post #3 of 513
Thread Starter 
I heard the majority of the season was going to be set in '64 to go with Weiner's plan (although I've heard that the plan is now to extend it to '70 b/c of Weiner's contract), but that they might start the season in Fall of '63 to cover Kennedy, especially since they gave it such a focus in Season 1.
post #4 of 513
I'd always heard it was to end at '70. But Weiner stated it wasn't going to just hit major events. The influence but not necessarily the events themselves.

But I've got to think '68 or '69 will play a role.
post #5 of 513
Thread Starter 
Show started production today. AMC announced that it will premiere sometime in August. Kind of annoyed that means I have to wait longer for it.
post #6 of 513
Yeah but on the flip side, we get Jared Harris for 10 episodes as the CFO of Sterling Cooper. I love that dude.
post #7 of 513
Thread Starter 
Haha, I heard that he was cast and immediately figured that's who he'd be.

Also, let's try to invisotext spoilers. That's not a big deal, but as we get closer to air/more episodes are filmed, stuff's going to start to come out. There are already scene breakdowns for the first episode out there.
post #8 of 513
Thread Starter 
August 16th with limited commercial interruption. AMC marathon of the entire second season on August 10th. First season is on demand starting today, second season will be on demand July 20th.

August 16th. August 16th. August 16th.
post #9 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by RathBandu View Post
August 16th with limited commercial interruption. AMC marathon of the entire second season on August 10th. First season is on demand starting today, second season will be on demand July 20th.

August 16th. August 16th. August 16th.
So say we all.
post #10 of 513
Huzzah! My life is always better with a little Dick. Whitman.
post #11 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cordo View Post
Huzzah! My life is always better with a little Dick.
Hey now!
post #12 of 513
I feel kind of fanboyish, but I think I'll be rewatching both seasons in hypexcitement for the premiere.
post #13 of 513
Thread Starter 
Me too. But that's pretty obvious.

I got a friend who is very big on costuming/costume design hooked on the show recently, and she pointed out a detail that I'd never noticed before. Because Joan is so busty and on a secretary's salary, she can't afford dresses that are tailored in the first season. So the backs bunch up more than they should. I thought that was a great detail and showed just how much attention they pay on this show.
post #14 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by RathBandu View Post
I got a friend who is very big on costuming/costume design hooked on the show recently, and she pointed out a detail that I'd never noticed before. Because Joan is so busty and on a secretary's salary, she can't afford dresses that are tailored in the first season. So the backs bunch up more than they should. I thought that was a great detail and showed just how much attention they pay on this show.
That could be easily solved by her walking around in her underwear all the time. Dammit I should have been a TV executive.
post #15 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios View Post
That could be easily solved by her walking around in her underwear all the time. Dammit I should have been a TV executive.
Well, you could always make a Greek knockoff of the show. That could work.

Also, did anyone catch the promo for season 3? It consisted of a lot of fighting. Wasn't sure if that was footage from this new season or from season 2.
post #16 of 513


Holy cow, that's an awesome image.
post #17 of 513
Shit, august 16 can't come soon enough.
post #18 of 513
Thread Starter 
Damn, and I just changed my desktop, too. I'm not a guy to get excited over promo art, but both that and the last season (Draper in the crowd at Grand Central) have been fantastic images.

I ordered the second season today from Amazon. I've been thinking about this for a while, but would anyone be interested in doing a recap/rewatch similar to the Lost thread? I was going to do it for my own benefit, maybe blog about it, but it might be fun if other people got in on it. If not, that's cool.
post #19 of 513
Me!

In fact, I already began. I just finished ep6 of s1, but I have them all fresh in mind. I actually kinda wanted to comment things about ep5, but didn't have a place to do so.
post #20 of 513
I'm getting S2 tomorrow, looking forward to re-watching one of the best season I've seen.

Re: a rewatch thread: much like the Lost thread, I may not contribute as much as others, but I'd be happy to keep up and chime in when necessary.
post #21 of 513
Thread Starter 
I don't know how we'd do it, exactly, but we could probably do season 1/2 recap discussion here instead of a new thread, especially since this is a show where the narrative matters. And unlike "Lost", we're only talking about 26 episodes.

I was thinking maybe do five episodes a week for the next month, which would bring us up to the seventeenth.
post #22 of 513
Thread Starter 
All right, if no one has any complaints about doing it in this thread, I'll post a rewatch schedule tomorrow.

And in order to keep this thread relevant, the show and Banana Republic are doing a contest to win a walk-on role in the show. If you're asking "hey, Rath, will your dorky, obsessed ass be entering?" The answer is yes. Yes, I will. And I promise to post my picture for much lulz and mockery.
post #23 of 513
Thread Starter 
Rewatching the second season really hammered home one of the central themes and "tragedies" of the series: Everyone on this show thinks that they're utterly alone, and we know that we're not. Joan's rape is a pretty perfect example of that -- we know, because we've seen their private lives, that Roger and Don and even Pete or Peggy would throw Joan's fiancee in front of a bus. But she doesn't know that -- she's only seen the men at work, heard what they say to each other, and she knows that the women in the office all hate her. So she has no friends, and no one to tell. And there are a lot of moments like that through the series.

Also: http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/madmenyourself/

You're welcome. Here's mine.
post #24 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by RathBandu View Post
Rewatching the second season really hammered home one of the central themes and "tragedies" of the series: Everyone on this show thinks that they're utterly alone, and we know that we're not.
Freud would have a field day with that one. Cue the drums.
post #25 of 513
post #26 of 513
Definitely can't wait for season 3, but this just makes it all the more difficult.

Wow. Just wow.







More here: http://www.esquire.com/women/women-w...hotos-0909#img
post #27 of 513
Oh my.

Anyway, I was looking at some promo pics for Mad Men season 3 and just then I realized something. John Hamm and January Jones have to be one of the best, if not the best, looking couples in television history. Dysfunctional as hell but damn, they sure look great.
post #28 of 513
I agree, one of the best asses I've ever seen. And January Jones is pretty too.
post #29 of 513
Those Hendricks pictures made me finally believe in God.
post #30 of 513
I like Sar-Jo just fine, but really, they missed out on the perfect Black Cat here:

post #31 of 513
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios View Post
Oh my.

Anyway, I was looking at some promo pics for Mad Men season 3 and just then I realized something. John Hamm and January Jones have to be one of the best, if not the best, looking couples in television history. Dysfunctional as hell but damn, they sure look great.
Pic round up here. Love January's dress in those shots on the street.

Vanity Fair has one of their lengthy profiles on the origins of the show and its place here with photos by Annie Lebowitz.
post #32 of 513
Thread Starter 


Peggy looks super cute. Thank you, that is all. /woodward
post #33 of 513
Thanks to a perfect storm of events, I decided to watch this show for the first time ever during the Marathon. I caught 3 minutes of the tail end from "A Night to Remember" and was drawn right in. I had to change the channel quickly (After setting the DVR to record all episodes any time) to prevent myself from being spoiled. Picked up the Blu-Ray for season 1 and burned through the entire season and then with the aid of AMC HD On Demand was able to catch up to where I left off on my DVR and I just fell in love with this show.

I couldn't imagine waiting this long for season 3 to start up with that finale. I admit, some of the appeal was watching this with my visiting Mother who worked in Manhattan during the 50's and adding in her own commentary (fortunately, not with all the episodes were watched together... that rape scene was brutal, along with Bets affair I wasn't expecting any of that).

I cannot WAIT for season 3. I may rewatch some of the episodes to pull it all in again before Sunday.. man this show just hits every episode out of the park and leaves you wanting more.
post #34 of 513
Apparently the time frame for this season is spring 1963. Not much of a time jump. Makes me wonder if there will be kind of huge jump for season 4.
post #35 of 513
Finally just got into this and burned through the first two seasons. Goddamnit. This is probably the best show I've ever seen after the Wire. It's just so...perfect. And it's so literary, which is something I love in film when it's pulled off well. What initially sparked my interest in the show was when I heard its primary influences were Revolutionary Road (which this show does more justice to than the shitty adaptation of last year) and the stories of John Cheever (which yes, it does capture the spirit of those while remaining completely its own thing). The Draper character could come off as a proto-emo pretty boy whining about how he has everything but nothing, but the way he's written (and Hamm plays him) is just about the perfect encapsulation of a man utterly fighting a losing battle against his own recognition of the indifference of the universe. This really might be the best filmed take on the spiritual crises of existentialism ever made. He can also come off as dangerous when need be (the crotch grab was some shit right out of the Swearingin playbook)
post #36 of 513
Another thing I wanted to add: I really hope Duck is back this season in some form. Something about his arch last season I just found so compelling. I like to imagine that his story is a prequel to Cheever's the Swimmer, which, if you're a fan of this show and haven't discovered yet (I don't mean to sound presumptuous) you should not only read, but also seek out the film version staring Burt Lantcaster. It's awesome and makes a great companion piece to Mad Men.

Also, I recommend Philip Roth's Everyman, as it deals with a man who'd been an art directory at a Madison Avenue ad agency during this same exact period going through his own existential crises as his life moves on. The focus of the book isn't the advertising agency, and aesthetically it isn't very similar to this show, but it deals with some similar themes and is on it's own an amazing (and very short) read.
post #37 of 513
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Vasquez View Post
The Draper character could come off as a proto-emo pretty boy whining about how he has everything but nothing, but the way he's written (and Hamm plays him) is just about the perfect encapsulation of a man utterly fighting a losing battle against his own recognition of the indifference of the universe.
I like Phil's line, I think it's in one of the other discussion threads, about how if the Sopranos is about a man slowly realizing and coming to grips with the utter loss of all his humanity, Mad Men is about a man desperately trying to reclaim his. I think I prettied/pretentioused that up, but you know, I like it.

Also, this thread will remain spoiler free until each episode has aired, or I swear I'll have a Domingo-sized melt-down. Hocken, I'm looking at you.
post #38 of 513
I've heard that at least one episode this season ends with a slow pull back from Don staring into nothingness and recognizing his loneliness!

I kid, i kid. I love this show, but it does seem to like to end a lot of its episodes like that.
post #39 of 513
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Vasquez View Post
I've heard that at least one episode this season ends with a slow pull back from Don staring into nothingness and recognizing his loneliness!
"There was a man, with bright, shiny shoes. I saw him dancing. Until the accident."

You could definitely have a list of "best slow pull backs that emphasize loneliness" on the show, for sure. (My favorite would have to be the pull back that ends "A Night To Remember" with Don drinking beer in the office.)
post #40 of 513
I need to buy a pack of Luckies and bottle of Tanqueray in preparation for tomorrow's event.
post #41 of 513
The one that got to me is when he's shaving and his daughter is watching him, and the utter shame he feels for his actions just absolutely level him. That is a damn powerful scene.

Also, one thread that I adore is how the daughter, Sally, is a complete train wreck in the making. Her sneaking the booze at his office, the cigarette in the bathroom, her being the daughter of a woman with deep clinical depression, the fact that she's practically a bartender. And how Don and Betty are so oblivious to it because at the time period no one really concerned themselves with that stuff. If it's true that the series leads at least to 1970 I can't wait to see the type of young woman little Sally is to become.
post #42 of 513
I'm going to have to hurry and get Season 1 and 2 finished if I want to catch up with you guys for Season Three. Love this show so much.
post #43 of 513
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Vasquez View Post
Also, one thread that I adore is how the daughter, Sally, is a complete train wreck in the making. Her sneaking the booze at his office, the cigarette in the bathroom, her being the daughter of a woman with deep clinical depression, the fact that she's practically a bartender. And how Don and Betty are so oblivious to it because at the time period no one really concerned themselves with that stuff. If it's true that the series leads at least to 1970 I can't wait to see the type of young woman little Sally is to become.
Yeah, we talked about Sally Draper in the Season Two thread but they're going a lot of fun and interesting places with that. I think there are a lot of contemporary parallels you could make with the kids on the show -- you hear a lot of fear-mongering in the media about prostitots and the sexual proclivities of young teenagers -- and having those kids come of age during the sexual revolution is ripe (no pun intended) for exploration. As in "your kids didn't invent fucking, either."

Although I suspect that actress is going to be due for a recast if they go to 1970 (and based on Weiner's comments about wanting to see how Draper would react to Kent State, we might).
post #44 of 513
So....I really want to watch this show. I don't have Cable, though. I don't want to wait for DVD, either.

Do any of you know a way to watch these new episodes through official channels on the internet? I can't tell if the AMC website is going to have them available, and I'm pretty sure Hulu won't carry them.

Will iTunes have the episodes available for purchase?
post #45 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Lively View Post
So....I really want to watch this show. I don't have Cable, though. I don't want to wait for DVD, either.

Do any of you know a way to watch these new episodes through official channels on the internet? I can't tell if the AMC website is going to have them available, and I'm pretty sure Hulu won't carry them.

Will iTunes have the episodes available for purchase?

Again, I want to do this legitimately, but if there are no alternatives ways of watching I will be very tempted to find other means.
I think itunes will have the episodes available (at least I recall they had seasons 1 and 2 available to download), but don't quote me on that.
post #46 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasels Rip My Flesh View Post
I think itunes will have the episodes available (at least I recall they had seasons 1 and 2 available to download), but don't quote me on that.
I know they did last year so I would guess so too.
post #47 of 513
Great episode. This show proves that Hitchcock was correct. Audiences will love anyone as long as they are good at their job.

Does anyone know the music that played at the beginning and end of the episode? It reminded me of Carter Burwell's Miller's Crossing score.
post #48 of 513
Great episode. This show proves that Hitchcock was correct. Audiences will love anyone as long as they are good at their job.

Does anyone know the music that played at the beginning and end of the episode? It reminded me of Carter Burwell's Miller's Crossing score.
post #49 of 513
Amazing episode. "It will shock you how much it didn't happen." Don's already moved on from the gay reveal. How great was the birthday reveal? Or when you realized he offered the job to both of them? Or the elevator scene?

Glad the show's back.
post #50 of 513
Which elevator scene are you referring to? There were two pretty great ones by my count.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Mad Men Season 3