CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › The Jurassic Park Franchise
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Jurassic Park Franchise - Page 3

post #101 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggytheBorg View Post
I don't really see the mouthpiece aspect as that big a problem, though. Hammond did hire the group as scientist consultants to get their opinions on things. Why be shocked when they voice them?
I'm not just talking about the conference scene. That's the only way they ever talk, throughout the entire film.
post #102 of 372
I like THE LOST WORLD the best. I don't give a shit about the logic problems and plotholes, I just find it the most exciting of the three. I like Sam Neil but his Jurassic Park character bores me, I don't miss him in the film. And those two kids from the first film can go suck all the dicks.

JURASSIC PARK is just so filled with forced wonder and characters I don't care about; it's my least favorite of the three. (Yes, that means I like III better. It has pterodactyls.) I know this opinion will not be popular, but oh well.
post #103 of 372
I can relate, actually. I wanted pterodactyls from the beginning. I was thrilled when the third film finally got them in.
post #104 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg David View Post
I can relate, actually. I wanted pterodactyls from the beginning. I was thrilled when the third film finally got them in.
Yeah, my main quibble with THE LOST WORLD is the tease of them at the end. It's like, argh! So close!

The thing is, all I want from a JP film is decent action and rampaging dinos. I actually appreciate the economy in which the third film delivers on this.
post #105 of 372
Think we could ever get a big budget gory dinosaur movie?
post #106 of 372
Now, I don't want to come off as the guy who doesn't like these films. I enjoy all of them on a certain level. They're fun, but they're just silly carnage movies, really. The biggest problem with the first one, in fact, is the lack of carnage. Every time characters open their mouths without screaming, the movie dies a little. As long as dinosaurs are trying to eat them, it's cool. But that's really all these movies are good at. If you see them as something deep, or great filmmaking, then it's probably your inner child talking.
post #107 of 372
This is one of those movies I watched over and over and over on VHS when I was a kid. Like Batman, Speed, Home Alone, Ghostbusters, and Disney musicals, nearly EVERY line of dialogue (no matter how mundane) ends up feeling as soothing and calming as the lyrics of a song. Actually, it's not even words. It's literally music. It just sounds right. And it has very little to do with actual quality, in this case.
post #108 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca S. View Post
Think we could ever get a big budget gory dinosaur movie?
Hell yes.


Disney's Dinosaur should have been Paul Verhoeven’s Nature Epic.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/6085
post #109 of 372
Actually, that's evidence that we won't.
post #110 of 372
Although I'd have loved to have seen Paul Verhoeven's NATURE EPIC, I'd already be pretty happy if we got like a Neil Marshall movie with dinosaurs.
post #111 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca S. View Post
Although I'd have loved to have seen Paul Verhoeven's NATURE EPIC, I'd already be pretty happy if we got like a Neil Marshall movie with dinosaurs.
Hell, the way Doomsday was playing when I first watched it I half expected a dino or two to show up before the credits.
post #112 of 372
Yeah, see! That's some shit we can all get behind!
post #113 of 372
I saw The Lost World & Jurassic Park III yesterday for only the first time after originally seeing them in the theater.

The Lost World was pretty disappointing. I thought the characters were mostly one note and the plot kept jumping all over the place. There was alot of action but it lacked any of the suspense from the first film. I though Julianne Moore's character was horrible. She was consistently saying one thing and doing another. Her warning about the T. Rex's amazing olfactory abilities before traipsing through the jungled covered in baby rex blood was only the worst. I thought Ian Malcom was entertaining in the first film but boring in the second and his daughter was completely out-of-place.

I really enjoyed the 3rd one. Sam Neill felt like a better middle-aged Indiana Jones than Harrison Ford portrayed in Crystal Skull. I thought the storyline had a more logical progression and the characters were better written. I may have wanted Tea Leoni to die a horrible death, but at least I cared about her character. The kid never annoyed me and had some good lines. I noticed after watching it that two of the three writers were Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor who wrote a few of my favorite movies, "Election", "Sideways" & "About Schmidt".
post #114 of 372
I still like 'The Lost Word', flaws aside. It's incredibly mean spirited.

The only thing that I dislike about JP3 is the non ending. It's even worse knowing that the original ending was a big fight with the Army and the Dinosaurs, but instead it just...ends.
post #115 of 372
Yeah, JP3 needed a curtain call from the spino. It was built up as this gigantic monster, and yet in its final appearance in the film it ... just walks away.
post #116 of 372
Exactly Richard, I remember reading stuff like "You thought the T Rex was mean, well get a load of THIS!!!", and then you get that one fight early in the film and you keep expecting it to come back at the end for mayhem to ensue.

But...nothing.

JP3 is a well shot film though, and I think Joe Johnson does a good job of not aping Spielberg. He's great at handling the effects scenes as well. It's just a shame the film isn't better.
post #117 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenkman View Post
Exactly Richard, I remember reading stuff like "You thought the T Rex was mean, well get a load of THIS!!!", and then you get that one fight early in the film and you keep expecting it to come back at the end for mayhem to ensue.

But...nothing.
I still say the spino/t-rex fight should have been a running battle throughout the film. Then have the big knockdown drag-out final fight take place at the very end, as they're escaping on the beach.

It's amazing, though, that JP3 turned out as well as it did considering they were practically making it up as they went along.
post #118 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca S. View Post
Think we could ever get a big budget gory dinosaur movie?
I'm still hoping for a DINOSAURS ATTACK! trading card to film adaptation. Joe Dante?





These scenes need to be up on the big screen. A groom/bride double-Trike-impalement? Awesome.
post #119 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenkman View Post
The only thing that I dislike about JP3 is the non ending. It's even worse knowing that the original ending was a big fight with the Army and the Dinosaurs, but instead it just...ends.
I never knew about the original ending so it didn't bother me. A fierce predator scared and running away while on fire is a logical conclusion to it's story arc. That's how Shere Khan was defeated in the Jungle Book, with a burning branch from the lightening strike.

I didn't mind that the final confrontation was with the raptors, the dinosaur that Sam Neill's character was always most interested in. I liked how the voice box created from the raptor fossil, ended up saving their lives. It completed the circle and showed that his continued reseach in digging up fossils was still valuable in a world with live dinosaurs. His chosen career wasn't a dead end afterall.

I agree that the T Rex/Spino fight should have been held later. It felt kinda of anti-climatic so early.
post #120 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenkman View Post
JP3 is a well shot film though, and I think Joe Johnson does a good job of not aping Spielberg. He's great at handling the effects scenes as well. It's just a shame the film isn't better.
But thats Johnson to a 'T' tho. I don't think there's a single film he's done that falls outside the category of "good, but not great".

He's a pretty okay director, but he'll never blow the doors off.

edited for spelling
post #121 of 372
Um, October Sky!? C'mon!

But yeah. I know exactly what you're saying.
post #122 of 372
I'm just sick of the raptors inevitably becoming the center of attention in every film. For what was essentially a minor species before the first film came along, they seem to have dominated popular dinosaur thought ever since. JP3 was just dipping into the well once too often.

I did like the alterations to their appearance, though. In fact, the whole film did interesting and cool things with skin textures and coloration that we hadn't seen in cinematic dinosaurs before.
post #123 of 372
He also directed "The Rocketeer" which I love.
post #124 of 372
I second that.
post #125 of 372
It's a fun film but it has too many elements keeping it from actual greatness. It's just a good fun movie. Probably Johnsons best.
post #126 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg David View Post
I'm just sick of the raptors inevitably becoming the center of attention in every film. For what was essentially a minor species before the first film came along, they seem to have dominated popular dinosaur thought ever since. JP3 was just dipping into the well once too often.
Well, considering all the theories and info discovered about the intelligence (relaitive brain size), lethality, hunting methods, and evolutionary importance, it's no surprise to me that the Raptor would gets its due.

But I can see your point. Give some other dinos a chance! Like my fave... the Plesiosaur! I want aquatic dinos! Elasmosaur, mosasaur, ichthyosaur, etc.
post #127 of 372
The raptors are awesome because they are like if Jason Voorhees was a dinosaur.

In the meantime:

http://www.bobheffner.com/dinosaursattack/
post #128 of 372
RE: The Dinosaurs ATTACK! cards - LOVE.
post #129 of 372
Highlights:

A KID STRIKES BACK

CAT LADY'S REVENGE
post #130 of 372


This one's pretty great because Neil Diamond is looking at me like "...the fuck?!"
post #131 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post
But I can see your point. Give some other dinos a chance! Like my fave... the Plesiosaur! I want aquatic dinos! Elasmosaur, mosasaur, ichthyosaur, etc.

Nobody leaves liopleurodon in the corner!
post #132 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg David View Post
I'm just sick of the raptors inevitably becoming the center of attention in every film.
Not the second film. But it's weird because their entire personality changed from the first. In the first we're told how smart they are and that they think everything through but in the second, they're pretty dumb and just bang into things.
post #133 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crowley View Post

Nobody leaves liopleurodon in the corner!
Jurassic Park 4 desperately needs a Godzilla sequence in which a liopleurodon attacks and sinks a fishing vessel. Make it happen, Steve.
post #134 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post
Not the second film. But it's weird because their entire personality changed from the first. In the first we're told how smart they are and that they think everything through but in the second, they're pretty dumb and just bang into things.
And in the third they're just not that scary. But at least JP3 tried to do some suspense with them, which TLW totally ditched.

No film will ever beat that kitchen scene from the original.
post #135 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
No film will ever beat that kitchen scene from the original.
Even the power station scene was good. What with Sam Jacksons severed arm and all.

I've hated the second one for so long. But I watched it on SciFi (or SyFy) recently and didn't hate it as much as I remembered. It's still pretty bad though.

I like the 3rd ok. But it just ends abruptly.
post #136 of 372
The raptors in the tall grass in Lost World starts off like it's gonna be as good as the kitchen scene, but it ends too quickly.
post #137 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
The raptors in the tall grass in Lost World starts off like it's gonna be as good as the kitchen scene, but it ends too quickly.
I think part of the reason that scene is bad is the music does nothing to serve the scene itself. It's just constant.
post #138 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
The raptors in the tall grass in Lost World starts off like it's gonna be as good as the kitchen scene, but it ends too quickly.
And then a gymnast kicks one in the head. That doesn't help.
post #139 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg David View Post
And then a gymnast kicks one in the head. That doesn't help.
Tell me about it, I mean..really? hell, why was his "daughter" even in the movie..
post #140 of 372
Because the first movie had children in peril. If the formula works, just keep re-using all its elements.
post #141 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg David View Post
Because the first movie had children in peril. If the formula works, just keep re-using all its elements.
At least JP3 gave a good reason for a kid being on the island. He was the catalyst for the damn plot.
post #142 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg David View Post
Because the first movie had children in peril. If the formula works, just keep re-using all its elements.
No, because Spielberg had daddy issues and has to put them into EVERY movie of his.

(man Crystal Skull and Transformers really has me hating him now).
post #143 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post
Give some other dinos a chance! Like my fave... the Plesiosaur! I want aquatic dinos! Elasmosaur, mosasaur, ichthyosaur, etc.
I would absolutely lose my shit if they threw a mosasaur into one of these films.



I was hoping the Spinosaur would at least fill the sea-creature void in the series, but his ocean attack was short lived. A hundred giant shark/snake/alligator/squid movies but no good Mosasaurs? Bah!
post #144 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejo View Post
I would absolutely lose my shit if they threw a mosasaur into one of these films.



I was hoping the Spinosaur would at least fill the sea-creature void in the series, but his ocean attack was short lived. A hundred giant shark/snake/alligator/squid movies but no good Mosasaurs? Bah!

It's like death on 4 flippers...
post #145 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRUS View Post
No, because Spielberg had daddy issues and has to put them into EVERY movie of his.

(man Crystal Skull and Transformers really has me hating him now).
I don't know if I'd call a 22 year old a kid.
post #146 of 372
Dinosaurs Attack! is amazing. Thanks for that link. While the concept would indeed make for an awesome Joe Dante film, it could also just as easily work as a videogame. Left 4 Dead 3 anyone?

As for JP, I like them all well enough, but 3 barely even feels like a movie. It's one of the slightest films I think I've ever seen, and yet somehow I still kind of like it. It's a strange movie.

Lost World has some great composition and cinematography in the service of a pretty messy and unsatisfying movie.

The first annoys with some deviations from the book, but is the most solid of the three.
post #147 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post
I don't know if I'd call a 22 year old a kid.
Wait a couple of decades. You will.
post #148 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejo View Post
I would absolutely lose my shit if they threw a mosasaur into one of these films.
I mentioned the awesomeness of the mosasaur to a good friend of mine and he says his father is a mosasaur expert. Evidently the mosasaur has a bundle of nerves in his killing face that is used for navigation maybe. They're going to go on an expedition in the fall, and I am absolutely going to make every effort to find a way to go with them. Awesome.
post #149 of 372
I have one big nerdy issue with these films, and that's that they made it OK for people to abbreviate dinosaurs' names. When I was five years old it was a goddamn accomplishment to speak (and spell) Tyrannosaurus Rex, Brachiosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Triceratops. To this day I'm never too busy to spell them out.
post #150 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post
I'm still hoping for a DINOSAURS ATTACK! trading card to film adaptation. Joe Dante?





These scenes need to be up on the big screen. A groom/bride double-Trike-impalement? Awesome.

Never say never. They did make a movie out of Mars Attacks cards. And the Tri-tops attacking the wedding party is right out of Alligator. Is Sayles still working on a JP4 script?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Franchises
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › The Jurassic Park Franchise