CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › Back to the Future Franchise question...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Back to the Future Franchise question... - Page 3

post #101 of 212
I was just thinking if Old Biff dies after coming back from 1955 because he has altered the timeline so that version of himself no longer exists shouldn't the same thing have happened to Marty at the end of part one?

He has altered the timeline so his parents now have drastically different personalities which would in turn affect their kids thus creating a different Marty.
post #102 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Oysterburger View Post
I was just thinking if Old Biff dies after coming back from 1955 because he has altered the timeline so that version of himself no longer exists shouldn't the same thing have happened to Marty at the end of part one?

He has altered the timeline so his parents now have drastically different personalities which would in turn affect their kids thus creating a different Marty.
Well, if you can get over the fact that Marty's parents conceived at the same 3 times with the same 3 sets of sperm and eggs in the alternate timeline, anything's possible. Looks like Biff's death is what erased him (like the lack of conception would have erased Marty & siblings). Apparently tinkering with a person's personality, affluence, and/or parenting skills isn't enough I guess.
post #103 of 212
Right, while none of it really makes sense in this timeline Biff dies sometime before 2015 (on Wikipedia it says Zemeckis and Gale have said Lorraine shot Biff in 1996) so he couldn't exist in 2015, so even if the future transformed around him and he wasn't changed, like Marty at the end of part I, he still couldn't exist because his past self was dead.
post #104 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
I love time travel movies. And I love the discussions about the possibilties even more. But what do I love the most? People who speak definitively about something that is so impossible, as if there really is a correct answer out there.
I once had a conversation with a friend of mine about time travel in the Terminator movies (while we were working at Suncoast, of all places). He was trying to say that the timeline for the first movie doesn't work unless you have a 2nd timeline where someone else fathered John Connor. I told him it works if you think of events in the future (such as someone traveling through time) affecting the past (like said person fathering a child). His response was "Time travel doesn't work that way, I've studied it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post
Well, if you can get over the fact that Marty's parents conceived at the same 3 times with the same 3 sets of sperm and eggs in the alternate timeline, anything's possible. Looks like Biff's death is what erased him (like the lack of conception would have erased Marty & siblings). Apparently tinkering with a person's personality, affluence, and/or parenting skills isn't enough I guess.
These movies get even weirder if you take into account the possibility of different circumstances leading to different sperm. What if, in the reality at the end of part 1, George had masturbated one extra time, and Marty was one of the sperm that got tossed away? Would he still disappear, even though he got his parents back together? Thanks for making me feel extremely creepy for thinking that, Darkmite.

Here's a question that's got nothing to do with time travel. Given that by that point the flux capacitor was powered by fusion, when the Delorean was destroyed, wouldn't there be nuclear waste all over from the crash? I'm assuming that Mr. Fusion has some sort of cooling system. Wouldn't the crash have caused that to malfunction, leading to a nuclear explosion?

I think this is the nerdiest post I've ever made on these boards. I'll be off to the scotch and cigar threads, then the sex forum to replenish my manhood.
post #105 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydren View Post
Here's a question that's got nothing to do with time travel. Given that by that point the flux capacitor was powered by fusion, when the Delorean was destroyed, wouldn't there be nuclear waste all over from the crash? I'm assuming that Mr. Fusion has some sort of cooling system. Wouldn't the crash have caused that to malfunction, leading to a nuclear explosion?
Also, if sci-fi teaches us anything... wouldn't a fusion reactor going critical blow up a fuckton more than a standard fission reactor?

After all, atmospheric processing stations are merely a big fusion reactor, according to Paul Reiser.
post #106 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
Here's what I always wondered: Doc goes back to 1885, sends Marty the telegram, and buries the DeLorean. 1955 Doc and Marty dig it up and send Marty back. Marty runs out of gas, forcing them to use the train to push the DeLorean up to 88mph.

But isn't there a DeLorean that Doc buried still sitting out there? If Doc can exist in both 1885 and 1955, surely the DeLorean can too. They could have just siphoned the gas out of the buried car, topped off the other one, and sent everybody home.
from the script :


Doc: Okay, I think we're about ready. I put gas in the tank, your
future clothes are packed, just in case fresh batteries for your
walkie-talkies. Oh, and what about that floating device?


So it looks like it ran out of gas in the past before it was sealed off.
post #107 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydren View Post

These movies get even weirder if you take into account the possibility of different circumstances leading to different sperm. What if, in the reality at the end of part 1, George had masturbated one extra time, and Marty was one of the sperm that got tossed away? Would he still disappear, even though he got his parents back together?
The funny thing about this assumption though is that this requires a very specific opinion about what constitutes a human, or more to the point a "soul". You seem to imply that there are certain attributes that define each sperm and that each sperm cell determines a very specific human being. While many religous people would cry foul on that assumption and argue about a soul being more than mere DNA. So this could be explained by putting forward a "determination" argument that would lead to the result that no matter what the circumstances (e.g. how many times you have jacked off) McFly was determined to give birth to a Marty no matter what.
But that is pure conjuncture and theology stuff.

Just a hint how deep this rabbit hole really goes.

Quote:
I think this is the nerdiest post I've ever made on these boards. I'll be off to the scotch and cigar threads, then the sex forum to replenish my manhood.
Most definitely!
post #108 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
The funny thing about this assumption though is that this requires a very specific opinion about what constitutes a human, or more to the point a "soul". You seem to imply that there are certain attributes that define each sperm and that each sperm cell determines a very specific human being. While many religous people would cry foul on that assumption and argue about a soul being more than mere DNA. So this could be explained by putting forward a "determination" argument that would lead to the result that no matter what the circumstances (e.g. how many times you have jacked off) McFly was determined to give birth to a Marty no matter what.
But that is pure conjuncture and theology stuff.

Just a hint how deep this rabbit hole really goes.


Most definitely!
Glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking this stuff.
post #109 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydren View Post
Glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking this stuff.
I blame Lost for my obsession on this stuff. You are surely welcome to join us over there in various threads an participate in our mind-boggling ramblings!
post #110 of 212
Wait, Lost actually talks about this stuff? I've only seen the first few episodes of the first season, but I may have to watch the rest of it if it talks about how different a person would be if different sperm led to their births.
post #111 of 212
I really hope this discussion doesn't turn me into the next Fabfunk.
post #112 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydren View Post
Wait, Lost actually talks about this stuff? I've only seen the first few episodes of the first season, but I may have to watch the rest of it if it talks about how different a person would be if different sperm led to their births.
Well, certainly not explicitly. Though this would be a show to behold I guess.
But lost defintely turned into a show with, well I am carefull here and will block out potential spoilers: lot´s of time-travel shenannigans and the underlying them of free will vs. determination has come to the foreground in the fourth and fifth season. So a lot of the happenings and themes have led my fried brain to wander off into such territories regarding time travel.

I definitely recommend Lost to you if you are into this stuff. But I am more than just biased if it comes to this series.
post #113 of 212
Slightly off-topic, but how exactly did a teenage kid like Marty end up being BFFs with Doc Brown?
post #114 of 212
I've always wondered that myself.
post #115 of 212
The last thing this series needs is a prequel to explain away something like that.
post #116 of 212
It was the power of love.
post #117 of 212
One thing about these movies: they inspire a lot of splitscreening.
post #118 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydren View Post
Thanks for making me feel extremely creepy for thinking that, Darkmite.
Wanna know what's creepier? I just revisited 3 today. Marty's wild west ancestor, Seamus (who looks just like Marty), has married and bred with a woman (Maggie) who looks just like Lorraine (Marty's Mom). And this is back a few generations on the McFly side. Now they don't say if she's one of Lorraine's ancestors (Baines side of the family tree), but it looks like there's either some inbreeding between the 2 fams throughout the years, or the McFly men have some seriously weird inherited Freudian issues.

So does Maggie think kissing Seamus is like kissing her brother? And is clearly ok with it? Wild West indeed.
post #119 of 212
Hahaha. Bob Gale actually addressed that in the commentary for Part III. He laughed, saying that the best he could do was say that perhaps the McFlys were genetically predisposed to find Lea Thompson's features attractive.
post #120 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post
Wanna know what's creepier? I just revisited 3 today. Marty's wild west ancestor, Seamus (who looks just like Marty), has married and bred with a woman (Maggie) who looks just like Lorraine (Marty's Mom). And this is back a few generations on the McFly side. Now they don't say if she's one of Lorraine's ancestors (Baines side of the family tree), but it looks like there's either some inbreeding between the 2 fams throughout the years, or the McFly men have some seriously weird inherited Freudian issues.

So does Maggie think kissing Seamus is like kissing her brother? And is clearly ok with it? Wild West indeed.
Not to mention, the fact that Marty's future daughter looks like him. Does that mean that her eventual husband looks like Marty or George...or Dave?

post #121 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
Hahaha. Bob Gale actually addressed that in the commentary for Part III. He laughed, saying that the best he could do was say that perhaps the McFlys were genetically predisposed to find Lea Thompson's features attractive.
They dropped the ball then. Lea Thompson could have played Jennifer as well.

"Jennifer, you're... such a cherry bomb."

post #122 of 212
What 16 year olds don't hang out with an 60-70 something year old man, who isn't married and lives in a garage with a dog and a giant amplifier?
post #123 of 212
Still have visions of Doc showing up on To Catch a Predator.
post #124 of 212
I keep saying this. Doc Brown is not a pedophile. Marty was taking advantage of the fact that Doc had a huge amp in his house.
post #125 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post
Wanna know what's creepier? I just revisited 3 today. Marty's wild west ancestor, Seamus (who looks just like Marty), has married and bred with a woman (Maggie) who looks just like Lorraine (Marty's Mom). And this is back a few generations on the McFly side. Now they don't say if she's one of Lorraine's ancestors (Baines side of the family tree), but it looks like there's either some inbreeding between the 2 fams throughout the years, or the McFly men have some seriously weird inherited Freudian issues.

So does Maggie think kissing Seamus is like kissing her brother? And is clearly ok with it? Wild West indeed.
I thought the main reason for that was that Crispen Glover was supposed to play Seamus, but then wanted too much money. But as it stands, it does get super creepy.

And yes, I've wondered how Doc & Marty wound up as friends, but I don't need to know.
post #126 of 212
Did Doc Brown in fact tap that ass at 88 MPH?
post #127 of 212
48-year-old Michael J Fox (with Parkinsons) looks a hell of a lot better than 47-year-old Marty McFly (with broken hand)





post #128 of 212
Thread Starter 
Did anyone jump through the hoops to get the fixed WS discs? I just realized I hadn't.
post #129 of 212
been a huge fan of the series since i was a kid, and was upset growing up that i wasnt alive in 1985 the year the film took place, instead being born in 1986 which is lame in comparrison. Here is a question: Marty, and especially Doc, know that uranium and plutonium are mined elements. They come from the earth. Now, by 1955 at the height of the cold war the mining sites would be government controlled and regulated. The need for the clock tower solution was evident, and that is why they chose that plan to travel back to 1985.

By part three though.... 1) why not just use Mr Fusion? Was old west garbage not garbagey enough to work??
2) why use the dangerous and complex plan involving the train? if they had failed, they'd be wanted outlaws, or dead, and teh chances of ever getting a second window to time travel would be zero. even if it failed, they didnt crash and die or get caught by the pinkertons or whatever, how could they escape with the time machine? they'd have to leave it behind and that would cause all sorts of problems in the time line. (goverment gettign advanced tech etc). if doc brown is so concerned about time line issues he wont even tell clara at first,w hy come up with a plan that has such a large chance of ending the universe?

couldnt they just.... hire some dudes to mine up some plutonium or whatever? no one else would even know what the stuff was!!! or am i missing something?
post #130 of 212
I hope to christ we don't wear two neckties in the future.
post #131 of 212
"I hope to christ we don't wear two neckties in the future. "

as long as they're made of clear plastic i wont mind seeing them on guys
post #132 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kate View Post
1) why not just use Mr Fusion? Was old west garbage not garbagey enough to work??
2) why use the dangerous and complex plan involving the train? if they had failed, they'd be wanted outlaws, or dead, and teh chances of ever getting a second window to time travel would be zero. even if it failed, they didnt crash and die or get caught by the pinkertons or whatever, how could they escape with the time machine? they'd have to leave it behind and that would cause all sorts of problems in the time line. (goverment gettign advanced tech etc). if doc brown is so concerned about time line issues he wont even tell clara at first,w hy come up with a plan that has such a large chance of ending the universe?

couldnt they just.... hire some dudes to mine up some plutonium or whatever? no one else would even know what the stuff was!!! or am i missing something?

Yes. Doc says that Mr. Fusion powers the time circuits, not the gas tank.
post #133 of 212
Old Lorraine looks like she had an accident with fire during the 90's.
post #134 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kate View Post

By part three though.... 1) why not just use Mr Fusion? Was old west garbage not garbagey enough to work??
2) why use the dangerous and complex plan involving the train? if they had failed, they'd be wanted outlaws, or dead, and teh chances of ever getting a second window to time travel would be zero. even if it failed, they didnt crash and die or get caught by the pinkertons or whatever, how could they escape with the time machine? they'd have to leave it behind and that would cause all sorts of problems in the time line. (goverment gettign advanced tech etc). if doc brown is so concerned about time line issues he wont even tell clara at first,w hy come up with a plan that has such a large chance of ending the universe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninhead View Post
Yes. Doc says that Mr. Fusion powers the time circuits, not the gas tank.
It also establishes what's known in the movie biz as "stakes".
post #135 of 212
Yeah, it is always funny when we say something like "why didn't he..." as the answer would be "well, then there wouldn't be a movie, moron" and who wants that?
post #136 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post
Did anyone jump through the hoops to get the fixed WS discs? I just realized I hadn't.
I bought the set after a price drop, in July of 2006. Lucked out and they were already the fixed discs.
post #137 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post
Did anyone jump through the hoops to get the fixed WS discs? I just realized I hadn't.
I never did. I actually found the address that I had written down to return the discs to, but I never did it. I'll just wait for the inevitable Blu-Ray release. Maybe that will be fixed.
post #138 of 212
A funny titbit I picked up today is that the Delorean's top speed was 85mph. Which makes it even more stupied that you need to get up to 88mph to travel in time.
post #139 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Savage View Post
A funny titbit I picked up today is that the Delorean's top speed was 85mph. Which makes it even more stupied that you need to get up to 88mph to travel in time.
That's not true. The DMC-12 was marketed as topping out at 130 miles per hour and it's been tested at over 100.
post #140 of 212
From the Wikipedia entry on the series....


The "Infinite Velocity" Joke
Implicit in all time travel is the ability to exceed the speed of light. 88 mph (142 km/h) is obviously a fraction of this value, though the Flux Capacitor plays a significant part in this achievement.

The specific speed of 88 mph is not an arbitrary number; it is in fact a subtle joke on the part of the movie making team.[citation needed] The DMC-12's speedometer is calibrated to a maximum speed of 85 mph, making 88 mph possible to achieve with the Delorean but impossible to know when it was achieved. This is supported by the view of the instrument panel viewers have when Marty first breaks the 'time barrier' at the opening of the first film.

The 'joke' is a subtle one – owners and car aficionados familiar with the DeLorean DMC-12 would be the only members of the audience to appreciate the wit of the film-makers.
post #141 of 212
Yeah, that's Wikipedia. It's not accurate.

Road & Track tested it at 109 miles per hour.
post #142 of 212
The important question about the car is: Do the gull-wing doors actually make that noise when they open?
post #143 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Still have visions of Doc showing up on To Catch a Predator.



Why don't you have a seat, Doc Brown??
post #144 of 212
See I got the impression they were talking about the car in the film, rather top speed for that model. But I guess we would need a screenshot of the scene they refer to in order to be sure.
post #145 of 212
There was a guy that lived in my hometown that had a Delorean. Strangely enough, up close, they look very unfinished. Like it was built, and now was waiting for a paint job. Kinda drab looking without all the time machine stuff installed on it.

Also, there was a guy that drove a black RX7, and he put a KITT-like LED on the front, a whale tail spoiler on the back, and fender flares. Yeah, I grew up in a small redneck town.
post #146 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Savage View Post
The DMC-12's speedometer is calibrated to a maximum speed of 85 mph, making 88 mph possible to achieve with the Delorean but impossible to know when it was achieved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattioli View Post
Yeah, that's Wikipedia. It's not accurate.

Road & Track tested it at 109 miles per hour.
Not to disrupt you two but I was under the impression that the speedometer merely showed 85 as maximum number, though the car could still go faster (109 apparently) with the needle just off the charts pretty much.

But that was just my reading of that post.
post #147 of 212
If Brown was able to make the car time travel. He surely was able to improve on the DeLorean's defecencies.

Besides 88 MPH was picked because of the infinity symbols.
post #148 of 212
The car's speedometers were calibrated for a maximum speed of 85 miles per hour, but that was in response to vehicle codes at the time. In fact, while not a speed demon, a 1981 DMC-12 (Doc's model) could break 100 mph.

...or what Jan said.
post #149 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Not to disrupt you two but I was under the impression that the speedometer merely showed 85 as maximum number, though the car could still go faster (109 apparently) with the needle just off the charts pretty much.

But that was just my reading of that post.
That's how I read it as well, hence my second post, which means the joke would still be correct because on a speedo that only reads 85 how the hell would you know you are doing 88?
post #150 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman View Post
There was a guy that lived in my hometown that had a Delorean. Strangely enough, up close, they look very unfinished. Like it was built, and now was waiting for a paint job. Kinda drab looking without all the time machine stuff installed on it.
You best believe if I had a Delorean, I would be tricking it out BTTF style.

Something else I noticed...

In part 3, Doc is so bugged out about upsetting the time line when he saves Clara from dying in the ravine, so why doesn't he just insist on taking her with him from the get go? Or kill her?

And I also love how photographs and newspaper headlines don't change until a character says "Look!" and then they look. Cue change.

So if a gravestone, newspaper, or photograph morphs to reflect changes in the timeline, why doesn't Marty gain the memories and past experiences of his now different timeline (w/ his new & improved parents)? Are the time-travellers uneffected by the changed timeline? I say no, if Biff disappeared. Is the 2nd Marty he sees get into the Delorean the product of a vastly different upbringing? And is he forced to make George hit Biff to maintain that new timeline?

And if a bullet-proof-vest-wearing Doc Brown knows that Marty is going to get into that time machine, does he make sure the Delorean is properly fueled (plutonium/gas) this time?

And does George McFly think it strange when he finally watches (I can only guess, since he's a sci-fi geek) Trek and Star Wars and hear "Darth Vader" and "the Planet Vulcan" in 2 different prominent properties?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Franchises
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › Back to the Future Franchise question...