CHUD.com Community › Forums › DVD, HOME THEATER, & GADGETS › DVD General Discussion › Netflix Instant View Heads-Ups
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix Instant View Heads-Ups - Page 107

post #5301 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

I didn't like Mascots...


:(

post #5302 of 5384

I know. I really wanted to, but the humor just isn't my thing.

 

And it doesn't help that I can't stand Parker Posey.

post #5303 of 5384

His humor in general or just this movie?

post #5304 of 5384

I don't know, honestly. I love This is Spinal Tap, but Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind never really resonated with me, either.

post #5305 of 5384
I love Waiting for Guffman hard. Maybe as much as Spinal Tap, but they're very different. After Guffman, nothing really grabbed me as much. Some great individual moments, but diminishing returns as a whole.
post #5306 of 5384

I just saw that offline play just hit Netflix.  I just updated the app and yes, it is true.  Content can be downloaded now.  Most of the things I get to watch are things I have downloaded to a kindle/iPad to watch on my commute or at lunch.  Movies I own or things available on amazon.  So for me, this is great.  I feel like the door just opened for so many more shows and things I've been waiting to get to. 

 

My wife and I can make time to watch stuff when we actually try (we just recently finally made it through Stranger Things), but for the most part, we just don't do it.  I still haven't gotten around to Netflix's Marvel shows for example.  Looking forward to giving this a go.

post #5307 of 5384

Posey aside, Mascots was miserable.  I really enjoy stuff like Best in Show and A Mighty Wind, but this barely felt like a mockumentary.  Instead it was more of a Modern Family-we're using talking heads to riff on ourselves-type thing.

 

It felt like it was written with unused notes from Best in Show and filmed over a weekend with actors who are in it more as a favor than as something they're genuinely interested in.  An hour and half of Ed Begley Jr and Parker Posey sitting in traffic would've been more entertaining and cheaper.

post #5308 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil spurn View Post

I love Waiting for Guffman hard. Maybe as much as Spinal Tap, but they're very different. After Guffman, nothing really grabbed me as much. Some great individual moments, but diminishing returns as a whole.

Same here. Guffman and Spinal Tap are easily my favorites. Mascots even brings back a character from Guffman, and that falls a little flatter than I'd hoped. 

I like Best in Show, but I'm lukewarm on A Mighty Wind and For Your Consideration. Mascots feels a lot like, (as in, too much like) Best in Show, but it has a couple of laughs.

post #5309 of 5384

Cranky sumbitches in here. Mascots was definitely weaker Guest, but I still had a fun time with it.

post #5310 of 5384

What's the consensus on ALMOST HEROES 'round here?

post #5311 of 5384
For the Love of Spock is on Netflix. Will be watching it this weekend.
post #5312 of 5384

There's a new Netflix original series out called 3%. It's sort of a Brazilian Portuguese language Hunger Games/future youth dystopia/prison experiment type of thing, except it's actually pretty good.

 

I've really gotten into it over the course of the first 5 episodes. There are a few soap opera-y elements, but also some pretty dark stuff. The show has balls when it counts.

 

The bulk of the story is about The Process, the trials that every 20 year old person can undergo to try to gain admittance to The Offshore, the paradise across the water from the slums that the lesser 97% are stuck in. So far it's been bizarro logic puzzles and psychology/morality/leadership/teamwork tests. Most of the characters are interesting, and it's taken some unexpected turns.

post #5313 of 5384
Anyone been watching that documentary Hip Hop evolution. I've been wanting to get more knowledge on rap, and, two episodes in, it's pretty in depth. Plenty of great interviews, video, and music.
post #5314 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

For the Love of Spock is on Netflix. Will be watching it this weekend.


Saw it a few days ago. Adam Nimoy did a good job putting this together. It's pretty informative about his father, Leonard's career and the last ten minutes are touching.

 

It's only 4 episodes so far, but Hip Hop Evolution is fantastic and worth a watch.

 

For those interested in weight lifting, check out My Magnificent Obsession starring trainer/Youtube personality C.T. Fletcher.

post #5315 of 5384

Louis C.K.'s  Horace and Pete is now available on Hulu.

post #5316 of 5384
post #5317 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

Watch: SUN CHOKE

 

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/sun-choke-2016

It has it's moments.

post #5318 of 5384
post #5319 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

Anyone been watching that documentary Hip Hop evolution. I've been wanting to get more knowledge on rap, and, two episodes in, it's pretty in depth. Plenty of great interviews, video, and music.

This!  I was coming in to post about this because I didn't even know it existed until one night me and my wife were looking for something to watch and just stumbled upon it.  We plowed through the whole thing in quick fashion, but it's fantastic.  Highly recommended!

post #5320 of 5384

Watch:

 

Previous
Next
 
 
post #5321 of 5384

Watch: The Greatest Stand Up Concert Film Of All Time

 

51yGr-264TL.jpg

 

 
Previous
Next
 
 
post #5322 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

Louis C.K.'s  Horace and Pete is now available on Hulu.

Holy hell, this thing is brilliant. Alan Alda and Laurie Metcalf are incredible.
post #5323 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

Watch: TOO LATE

 

Just watched the trailer for this. Helluva cast, I'l be checking it out tonight. Thanks.

post #5324 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry D View Post


Holy hell, this thing is brilliant. Alan Alda and Laurie Metcalf are incredible.

Yes!

post #5325 of 5384

Anyone else check out White Rabbit? It sort of snuck up and then Netflix put it up without much of an announcement (as far as I could tell). It's fun, but I'm not sure how much of it I can watch once I finish the first season. It's almost as the Mythbusters gang got bored halfway through. Kari though.

post #5326 of 5384
I just started White Rabbit. I already miss the very-DIY feel of Mythbusters, but this is okay. Tory is still the weak link as he was on Mythbusters (always found him disingenuous and grating), but Grant and Kari are good.

Kari though. She could just read the phone book.
post #5327 of 5384

Good to know I'm not the only one that feels that way about Tory. He has always come off as arrogant to me.

post #5328 of 5384
Trollhunters Season 1 is up. Dreamworks and Guillermo del Toro team up, and sadly, Anton Yelchin's last project. He died after completing his voice work as the main character, and del Toro refused to replace him.

I'm a good way into episode one, and it's fun. I hope it gets into some of that del Toro weirdness and magic.
post #5329 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post

Good to know I'm not the only one that feels that way about Tory. He has always come off as arrogant to me.

He takes a lot of abuse though. That's fun to watch.
post #5330 of 5384
Not Netflix but Hulu: Merry Christmas! Hunt for the Wilderpeople is up!

Also Captain America: Civil War is up on Netflix.
post #5331 of 5384
Some enjoyable & entertaining films added today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOvHMpwjaOC/

CHEAP THRILLS rules! Essential.
post #5332 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Some enjoyable & entertaining films added today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOvHMpwjaOC/

CHEAP THRILLS rules! Essential.


Man, that tales of Halloween is 37 different kinds of terrible. Half the shorts make no sense and just jump from one to another with very little rhyme or reason. I love me a good horror anthology. This is a flaming dumpster fire

post #5333 of 5384

I didn't care for the Tales of Halloween too much either.

 

I did get a chuckle out of that little devil bastard thing that was running around. Wasn't that John Landis in a cameo as it's alleged dad?

post #5334 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrichead View Post
 

I didn't care for the Tales of Halloween too much either.

 

I did get a chuckle out of that little devil bastard thing that was running around. Wasn't that John Landis in a cameo as it's alleged dad?

Yes.

post #5335 of 5384

10 Horror Films Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

 

10 Horror Films Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

 
 
"I don’t recommend STREET TRASH for everyone. It is bleak, gooey, dirty, sleazy, vulgar, and also pretty fun. If you have a sick sense of humor, this strange little 80s gem may delight you like it does me. In a derelict neighborhood of Brooklyn, a liquor store owner finds a long-forgotten case of “Tenefly Viper” liquor which becomes a hit with the local homeless population because of the low price, but also causes them to melt into an oozing hyper-color mess."
post #5336 of 5384

It Follows and A Series of Unfortunate Events are both up. 

 

I watched the first two episodes of Unfortunate Events and it's pretty good. I'm a big fan of the books and the Jim Carrey film. 

post #5337 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

10 Horror Films Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

 

10 Horror Films Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

 
 
"I don’t recommend STREET TRASH for everyone. It is bleak, gooey, dirty, sleazy, vulgar, and also pretty fun. If you have a sick sense of humor, this strange little 80s gem may delight you like it does me. In a derelict neighborhood of Brooklyn, a liquor store owner finds a long-forgotten case of “Tenefly Viper” liquor which becomes a hit with the local homeless population because of the low price, but also causes them to melt into an oozing hyper-color mess."


Everyone should see Street Trash​.  It's nuts and very well shot.

post #5338 of 5384
The Third Man is up. Feels like ages...
post #5339 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
 


Everyone should see Street Trash​.  It's nuts and very well shot.

Yes.  The director went on to have a great career as a Steadicam operator.  Worked with Cameron several times.

post #5340 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

10 Horror Films Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

 

10 Horror Films Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

 
 
"I don’t recommend STREET TRASH for everyone. It is bleak, gooey, dirty, sleazy, vulgar, and also pretty fun. If you have a sick sense of humor, this strange little 80s gem may delight you like it does me. In a derelict neighborhood of Brooklyn, a liquor store owner finds a long-forgotten case of “Tenefly Viper” liquor which becomes a hit with the local homeless population because of the low price, but also causes them to melt into an oozing hyper-color mess."

I watched The Thaw last night.  Enjoyable B-Movie with heavy and I mean heavy global warming message.   The ending almost got to the point of laughable.  

post #5341 of 5384

This is cooler than anything you're watching:

 

https://twitter.com/mechamelissa/status/828681060498161664

post #5342 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

This is cooler than anything you're watching:

 

https://twitter.com/mechamelissa/status/828681060498161664


Holy shit, how have I never seen this?

post #5343 of 5384

Once upon a time, I used to think that was a good movie.

 

It's not. But I suspect it's still fun to watch.

post #5344 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

Once upon a time, I used to think that was a good movie.

 

It's not. But I suspect it's still fun to watch.

I haven't seen it since the 80's.  I want to see how it holds up.  

post #5345 of 5384

Fucking Twitter links.  What fucking movie are you talking about?!?

post #5346 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
 

Fucking Twitter links.  What fucking movie are you talking about?!?

 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092240/?ref_=nv_sr_1

post #5347 of 5384

Thanks, Michael M.    As for The Wraith (something that I've only seen as a kid despite owning the DVD for years unwatched), the only thing I remember is thinking how silly it was that this ghost car/phantom car or whatever it was still had a very visible Chrysler emblem on it.

post #5348 of 5384

I just remember that Nick Cassavetes out-acted everyone in that movie.

post #5349 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

I just remember that Nick Cassavetes out-acted everyone in that movie.

 

He's in Nicolas Cage territory for sure.

post #5350 of 5384
The Wraith is WONDERFUL. I remember live-watching it on the B thread the night I saw it.
 
Don't discount Clint Howard's getup though. Wig looks like Professor Frink tried to be Duckie for Halloween.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD General Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › DVD, HOME THEATER, & GADGETS › DVD General Discussion › Netflix Instant View Heads-Ups