CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › The MR. PLINKETT & RED LETTER MEDIA Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The MR. PLINKETT & RED LETTER MEDIA Discussion

post #1 of 2060
Thread Starter 
Will it p0wn or FAIL?
post #2 of 2060
Shit, beat me to it! I'm anticipating the hell out of this thing. Since every single other review he's done has been funny and entertaining as hell, I don't see any reason why this one can't deliver at least an enjoyable time. Tomorrow night can't come soon enough.
post #3 of 2060
Ahhhhh...*takes sip of Mountain Dew* An in-depth dissection of minor plot points from a movie I've never seen and hilarious jokes about violence against women? *straps on posting gloves* You frakking bet I'll be there.
post #4 of 2060
It comes out tomorrow?!
post #5 of 2060
I don't know how he can top the Phantom Menace review, but if he finds new hilarious ways to tear apart the most-hated prequel-sequel in ways no one else has, I will be very happy.

I wonder how long it'll be...
post #6 of 2060
There should be five billion hours worth of material for AOTC. It is fertile ground for the failings of creating a compelling narrative. That's before you even get to the execution of the film. Or the "linkages" to TPM. This could be a nice two-fer. With TPM, all you have is TPM. With this film, well, you get the film, and you also get where the two films combined failed to do something one film should do.
post #7 of 2060
I think it'd be awesome, with all this internet hype and anticipation, if he just made a ten second video saying "Yeah, it sucks the sweat off a dead man's ass." Just to fuck with people.
post #8 of 2060
fuckin a! Can't wait.
post #9 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
I think it'd be awesome, with all this internet hype and anticipation, if he just made a ten second video saying "Yeah, it sucks the sweat off a dead man's ass." Just to fuck with people.
this would actually be a fitting review.
post #10 of 2060
Thread Starter 
I'm slightly guilty about the number of times I've seen TPM Review. However, it has led me to appreciate the original Star Wars a lot more.
post #11 of 2060
EPISODE II is easily the worst STAR WARS film, in my opinion, so hopefully there's tons of great material for Plinkett to thoroughly mine. And YES, we have a release date...tomorrow at 8:00 CST! Fucking YES!

Oh, but why is this thread called "Attack of the Clones YOUTUBE Review..." when YouTube is merely a delivery device. It should be credited to Red Letter Media or Mr. Plinkett. Bad form, CB.

Warming up those pizza rolls...
post #12 of 2060
Chewer #1: OMFG! There's going to be an epic AOTC review on Youtube! I can't wait to hear all the things I already hate about that movie voiced by someone else for 90 minutes!

Chewer #2: Me too! I've got my lotion and tissues ready! This shit's better than porn!
post #13 of 2060
These reviews are such a great Chewer Litmus test.
post #14 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
These reviews are such a great Chewer Litmus test.
Well don't keep us in suspense.
post #15 of 2060
Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!
post #16 of 2060
I was going to post the same damn thing! I was going to post the same damn thing! I was going to post the same damn thing!
post #17 of 2060
He's said it would be longer. So I'm gonna guess 90 minutes. There is something to The Phantom Menace, maybe because it's the last Star Wars shot on film, maybe because as formless as it is, I feel like Lucas put more of his heart into it. Sith is bad as well, but at least it delivers the things it needed to. Clones is inarguably the worst Star Wars movie. And I can't wait to watch this.
post #18 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
These reviews are such a great Chewer Litmus test.
But...what if you don't care about the Star Wars franchise at all and therefore cannot justify sitting through extended reviews of said films? Hmmm?
=(
post #19 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Dellamorte View Post
He's said it would be longer. So I'm gonna guess 90 minutes. There is something to The Phantom Menace, maybe because it's the last Star Wars shot on film, maybe because as formless as it is, I feel like Lucas put more of his heart into it. Sith is bad as well, but at least it delivers the things it needed to. Clones is inarguably the worst Star Wars movie. And I can't wait to watch this.
Clones feels like Lucas freaking out and trying to appease his fanbase ("You guys want Boba Fett? Uh, okay, here he is!"). Menace actually feels like the movie he wanted to make, whether ya like it or not.
post #20 of 2060
Yes, one could even argue that of all six films Menace is the one he made with the absolute least interference. So, y'know, go Gary Kurtz.
post #21 of 2060
I like that this has a pre-release thread.
post #22 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post
But...what if you don't care about the Star Wars franchise at all and therefore cannot justify sitting through extended reviews of said films? Hmmm?
=(
I think his TPM review is worth watching by any self-confessed movie geek (yes, even if you don't like Star Wars). It's a perfect dissection of what makes poor storytelling, plot holes (and not nitpicky ones; see the GENERATIONS review for that), and overall bad ideas in a summer blockbuster (especially in a cultural touchstone like STAR WARS). Dre's right, TPM is in a class by itself compared to the others, so I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice (or thrice).

And saying "this is dumb people have been bitching about this movie for years" just comes off as ignorant. It's not the same, boring criticisms, which is why the review was so popular.
post #23 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by billylove View Post
I like that this has a pre-release thread.
The sucker's feature-length this time! It's completely warranted.

I wonder how many threads there'll be for this. This pre-release thread, so I can assume a post-release thread. But then I'm sure there will be a thread for it on the main page forums. Heheh.

And well said, Scott.

EDIT: Well, it COULD be feature-length this time...
post #24 of 2060
Though it doesn't work for a myriad of reasons, I get what Lucas was trying to do by making Darth Vader a child. Hell, the OT becomes about pulling that shift of making the most wicked dude imaginable both your father and up for redemption. But Lucas could get away with that because Vader was such a simplistic character in the first film. That's an actual idea, which makes it better than AOTC which has nothing going on at all. At all. At all.

The TPM review is feature length. It's 69 minutes.
post #25 of 2060
B'oh. Completely forgot that it was pushed as a 70 minute review. For some reason, I thought it was 60 minutes. My mistake.

What is the criteria for feature-length, by the way?
post #26 of 2060
I tend to put it at the hour mark. There's some universal horror films that are a little over 60 minutes. Currently, I believe 80 minutes is generally considered the shortest you can get away with for a commercial release, as I believe they had to flesh out MASTER OF DISGUISE to get it to that length.
post #27 of 2060
There's no real definitive standard for "feature length" (even among festivals), but I think 80 minutes or longer is the most common guideline for contemporary releases (excepting children's films). Festivals usually give a lower number (50-60 minutes) primarily so they can differentiate between features and shorts.

What's great is that a lot of indie films and low budget horror films will run like just over an hour and then the filmmakers have to shoot extra content and/or slow down the opening credits to reach the requisite 80 minutes most distributors require. But no one wants to see "80 minutes" on the back of a DVD so then the studio will pad the movie further, with like up to ten more minutes of walking through the woods or driving around montages or whatever.

Really beware any DTV film that runs like 86 minutes.
post #28 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Dellamorte View Post
which makes it better than AOTC which has nothing going on at all. At all. At all.
I disagree, sir. Sexual Fiend Lucas, inactive since 1983, came back with a vengeance.

post #29 of 2060
Even that though is just fanwank. Here, perhaps a little more literally.
post #30 of 2060
I'm sure the CG Yoda will be a major point of contention. As it should be.
post #31 of 2060
CG Yoda looks better than Episode I mentally challenged Yoda.
post #32 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
I'm sure the CG Yoda will be a major point of contention. As it should be.
Yoda is sort of horrible in all three films. He goes from being a Takashi Shimura-Joseph Campbell hybrid in the first trilogy to a puppet that looks nothing like that--given that he was nearly a millennium old when we first met him and he's only supposed to be about forty years younger in this series, there really was no need to change his look-- and acts like a muppet on a version of Sesame Street that a hallucinogenics fiend created to a CGI bouncing ball on the screen. I'd argue that Yoda, creating the Qui-Gon character, completely botching the Anakin-Padme relationship, not having a consistent Sith apprentice in all three films, the entire Jango Fett storyline, and letting nearly all of Obi-Wan's and Anakin's relationship unfold offscreen were the biggest balls dropped in the character development department in this trilogy.
post #33 of 2060
I doubt CG Yoda will be an issue, the same way that Jar Jar wasn't really an issue in the EPISODE I review. That's what so great about Plinkett's reviews: He focuses on important story and character flaws.
post #34 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I think his TPM review is worth watching by any self-confessed movie geek (yes, even if you don't like Star Wars). It's a perfect dissection of what makes poor storytelling, plot holes (and not nitpicky ones; see the GENERATIONS review for that), and overall bad ideas in a summer blockbuster (especially in a cultural touchstone like STAR WARS). Dre's right, TPM is in a class by itself compared to the others, so I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice (or thrice).

And saying "this is dumb people have been bitching about this movie for years" just comes off as ignorant. It's not the same, boring criticisms, which is why the review was so popular.
Agreed. This is why it's so funny and fascinating. And why I've gone back for seconds. He's so good at what he's doing that I wish he'd cut out the serial killer schtick. Those jokes don't work for me. They just come off like attempts at shock humor so he won't seem like an overly-serious fanboy.

Regardless, I'm psyched enough for the new one that I'm actually considering getting pizza rolls to accompany my viewing. I'm compulsive that way.
post #35 of 2060
I wonder if he'll point out the differences in Ewan McGregor's real beard and fake beard. Though I was VERY forgiving of the prequels back in the day, the shoddy work on his fake beard for what I assume to be pick-up shots was really distracting. It was often different from shot to shot!

Yeeeees... let's focus on wardrobe and make-up! The movie clearly doesn't have enough wrong with it!
post #36 of 2060
I agree - surprise? - with Litmus, I doubt this is going to get nitpicky, but as per the serial killer schtick, I like it in the sense that he's acknowledging the very absurdity of doing what he's doing. As a running gag, it's hit or miss, but I like that he knows his audience - hence debuting it on a Saturday night.
post #37 of 2060
post #38 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litmus Configuration View Post
I doubt CG Yoda will be an issue, the same way that Jar Jar wasn't really an issue in the EPISODE I review. That's what so great about Plinkett's reviews: He focuses on important story and character flaws.
The fact that Yoda is CGI won't be an issue, but Yoda turning into Tiger Crouching Dragon Hidden at the end probably will be.
post #39 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
The fact that Yoda is CGI won't be an issue, but Yoda turning into Tiger Crouching Dragon Hidden at the end probably will be.
Oh yeah, no doubt. Tasmanian Yoda is ripe for the Plinketting.
post #40 of 2060
I hope he mentioned what I've always felt, which is that if you're a Jedi master, why would you expend that much effort and then also be not that good?
post #41 of 2060
Yeah really, if all that effort's only going to buy you a standstill, why bother?
post #42 of 2060
I always wondered why the hell Yoda didn't Force hurl that toppling whatchamajigger at Dooku's ship. Yoda sucks at multitasking.
post #43 of 2060
Considering I've been a fan of Yoda and Christopher Lee pretty much my whole goddamn life, it would take a lot for me to hate a scene with them together. Turning it into a Sonic the Hedgehog game did it.
post #44 of 2060
I can't wait to hear what he has to say about Padme totally overlooking the fact that Anakin just slaugtered a camp full of Sandpeople.
post #45 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
*Badgering pic*
Shoo.

I'd also like to add that I thought the serial killer bits from the TPM review were great, and a good breather from all the heavy analysis going on - the digression on the best type of Raid to kill a hooker in your crawl-space was one of my favorite bits. I hope there's still a good mix of that.
post #46 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Buff View Post
I can't wait to hear what he has to say about Padme totally overlooking the fact that Anakin just slaugtered a camp full of Sandpeople.
I still don't get why she married him. Or loved him. Or even liked him.
post #47 of 2060
He gave her a crappy keepsake medallion when they were younger that she never gave a second glance at. I mean... that's all it takes, right?
post #48 of 2060
Is this another one from that guy with the incredibly annoying mumbly voice, or is this something that can be listened to without drinking?
post #49 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyShmun View Post
Is this another one from that guy with the incredibly annoying mumbly voice, or is this something that can be listened to without drinking?
Looks like you picked the wrong day to stop drinking, then!
post #50 of 2060
What is the point of something you can listen to without drinking? That's just weird.
It's already Saturday night here...come on America; catch up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Movie Miscellany
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › The MR. PLINKETT & RED LETTER MEDIA Discussion