or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Racist and Other Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Racist and Other Observations - Page 3

post #101 of 241

Imagine being Sandra Fluke and realizing that you may just have indirectly brought about what twenty-odd years of liberal objection couldn't: bring down Limbaugh.

post #102 of 241

See if Rush were smart he'd use that dead airtime to pedal his own crap. He should write another book. For the title I'd suggest WHORES WHORES WHORES. Co-Authored by Frank Miller.


Edited by Cylon Baby - 3/9/12 at 2:34pm
post #103 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Limbaugh has lost 50 advertisers, has dead air in spots:

 

"At least 50 advertisers have reportedly dropped their ads from Rush Limbaugh's radio show in the wake of his misogynistic attacks on Sandra Fluke.

Here are his March 8 advertisers, in the order they appeared on WABC, the flagship station for Limbaugh's show. Audio clips of the ads have been provided to help make advertisers aware of the placement of their ads on the program. According to our coverage:

  • A total of 86 ads aired during WABC's broadcast of The Rush Limbaugh Show today
  • 77 of those ads were public service announcements donated free of charge by the Ad Council
  • Of the nine paid spots that ran, seven were from companies that have said they have taken steps to ensure their ads no longer air during the program
  • WABC's online feed included about 5:33 of dead air when ads would normally have run."

 

Poor fella.



Sometimes you wake up in the morning and all is right with the world.

 

A few caveats there.   I'm pretty sure the streaming broadcast is the feed that all the stations get so some of those PSAs are there as placeholders for where local ads would be.   As for the 5:33 of dead air, that could be space for local ads.   I don't make a habit of listening to Rush Limbaugh so I don't know if this is typical.   My thinking is that this is very irregular as national ads on any live feed make up at least 50-70% of the ads for a national broadcast with 25% reserved for local ad buys.

 

What I'm curious about is the local advertising.   Is that being affected as well?

 

One thing is for sure, this is more than a few fries that you don't even miss.

 

Sandra Fluke might just be the unlikely hero who brought Rush down and she didn't have to do much except be awesome.

post #104 of 241

....maybe he could get some of the fine purveyors of gold, doomsday bunkers, and canned food to sponsor his show.

 

post #105 of 241

Good. I hope no one gives him an inch to recover. 

post #106 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post

Imagine being Sandra Fluke and realizing that you may just have indirectly brought about what twenty-odd years of liberal objection couldn't: bring down Limbaugh.


 

Given her surname, the headlines write themselves!

 

post #107 of 241

This is pretty much what got Glen Beck canned.   Rush WILL find more sponsors but they won't pay as much or be as mainstream as the ones he lost.   After thinking about his apology, it occurs to me that he's really saying he's sorry to his sponsors.   Rush didn't just become a racist mysogynistic pig overnight.   He's been this way for decades and never shied away from sharing how little he respects women or hates blacks, Mexicans, etc.   Where he messed up with the sponsors who up until last week were cool with his behavior was saying words that had no wiggle room for interpretation or meaning and then doubling down on them for the next two days.   There was no "humor" card that could be played here.   He straight up called a woman a slut and prostitute on the air and his sponsors couldn't see a way to stay with the program after that.   So his "apology" to me was acknowledgement that he didn't play the game correctly so his sponsors could have plausible deniability.  That make sense?

post #108 of 241

Rush = Andrew 'Dice' Clay

 

 the very thin veneer of 'humor' can't cover the ugliness that resides underneath it 

post #109 of 241

You know, it's mostly irrelevant but,  I don't think it was the personal cracks about her being a slut and a prostitute that did the damage (which is kinda contradictory when you think about it).  That's a favourite slur of conservative women on those more liberal (sometimes even when lined up to have an abortion with them  ed.  hmm, the scene I was thinking of doesn't appear to be in there.  Oh well). I reckon what really tipped things over for him was when he said he should be allowed to watch.


Edited by Muzman - 3/9/12 at 10:14am
post #110 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post


Oh and Bill Maker is just as bad as Limbaugh. But funny.



You're half right.  They're both insufferable human beings and the world would be better off if they'd both shut up forever.

post #111 of 241

Yeah I've only seen snippets of Maher. He comes across as so smug that I'm convinced I'd hate him if exposed for more than a few minutes.

post #112 of 241

Bill Maher may be an insufferable prick but he's on the right side of history. To group him in with Rush is inaccurate. Just because they're both smug partisan blowhards does not make them equivalent. Rush is a legitimately destructive and evil individual and in a class all by himself, even amongst other conservative radio hosts. He's a plague. Would I put Bill Maher in the same section as Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, etc.? Yes. But Rush stands alone. 

post #113 of 241

Plus, Maher, however smug, styles himself as a comedian and satirist. Limbaugh, regardless of claims of being an entertainer, styles himself as a voice of authority and reason.

post #114 of 241

Maher doesn't belong with those other pundits at all. He is, whatever you think of him, a comedian first and a pundit second. You can always see how whatever statements he makes are geared to get a laugh, even if they're mean-spirited or inaccurate.

 

Rush's comments are meant to promote a certain agenda or talking point first. He goes over the top; that seems to be the extent of his "humour". But it's more like a self-reflective layer of irony that allows him to say "Hey, I'm an entertainer!" when people take offense. It's not actually an attempt at being funny.

 

Do even Rush's biggest fans listen to his show and laugh their heads off?

post #115 of 241

It's not funny "ha-ha", per se.  It's more funny "hate-hate."

post #116 of 241

Eh, neither one is a public official,and they both have politically-themed talk shows.  So whatever standard you think pundits should be held to, it should be about the same for both of them.  Limbaugh's shit is obviously more personally offensive to me than Maher's, but the original point was that Maher has reason to want to reserve the right to weasel out of similar situations with a weak apology.

post #117 of 241

When Limbaugh does stand-up routines in front of non-screened paying audiences, I'll call them equals.

post #118 of 241

I think the main difference between Limbaugh and Maher is that Maher seems genuine about all of his political opinions, whereas with Limbaugh it's a lot murkier.  I mean, does anybody actually believe that he doesn't use contraceptives himself? He's clearly pandering to the uber religious members of his party. Having said all of that, I do wish that Maher would keep it classier and try to sidestep the name calling. When he calls Palin a bimbo (while arguing that a bimbo can be male or female), he leaves himself wide open for accusations of misogyny. Can it really be denied that bimbo (and some of the other names he's called Palin) is a word that's primarily been used to disparage women? It's irritating when he makes a good point and then ruins it by taking the low road.

post #119 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

When Limbaugh does stand-up routines in front of non-screened paying audiences, I'll call them equals.



He did. Back in the 80's he held his "Rush to Excellence" tours. He actually did a set, had Clarence "Frog Man" Henry perform "Ain't got a home" and then sold VHS tapes of the events. Granted it's been a while, but he did in fact tour. And even in early interviews, he made no bones about saying shit that he knew his audience wanted to hear.


Edited by Cylon Baby - 3/9/12 at 9:20pm
post #120 of 241

Touring at the peak of his popularity, selling tapes, organizing private cruises for like-minded individuals is not the same as maintaining a viable stand-up career. He was almost booed of the stage when he appeared on Letterman, and hasn't done a public interview like that ever since. His bubble is much more self-contained and exclusive than Maher's. Christ, his fans proudly call themselves 'dittoheads'. Maher can be a dick, but his comedy isn't exclusively anti-Republican.

 

 

 

 

post #121 of 241

He stood in front of paying audiences and did an act that made people laugh. I really doubt he had each ticket holder subjected to a detailed background check prior to letting them into the venue. And do you really think Maher is not playing to a friendly audience on his show?

 

Just because neither one of them performs at "the Funny Bone" in Newark New Jersey doesn't mean they aren't professional entertainers.

post #122 of 241

Again, if Limbaugh could stand to confront a standard audience, he'd be on Leno and Letterman and The View and Conan and Regis and whatever. Maher does. Limbaugh can't.

post #123 of 241

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Again, if Limbaugh could stand to confront a standard audience, he'd be on Leno and Letterman and The View and Conan and Regis and whatever. Maher does. Limbaugh can't.

 


maybe the reason Jabba doesn't go on other shows is the reason Syd mentioned...

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd View Post

..... every time I see video of Rush at his desk, it always looks like he's trapped there. Or maybe I should say stuck. Just a giant impotent toad stuck between two desks, crying for help. 

 



 

 

 


Edited by VTRan - 3/9/12 at 7:54pm
post #124 of 241

Rush was on either "The Jay Leno Show" or "The Tonight Show" once over the last few years.  I can't stand either person, but I do remember channel-surfing my way to whichever show it was.  Rush was driving a car through some dumb obstacle course set up where guests had to swerve away from a stand-up of Al Gore, amongst other things.  I specifically remember the Gore stand-up because Rush hit it on purpose, stopped the car, put it in reverse and hit it again.  Oh, Rush, what will you do next?

 

If it's any consolation, Leno asked him a few questions about the auto bailout.  Leno was clearly in favor.

post #125 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Touring at the peak of his popularity, selling tapes, organizing private cruises for like-minded individuals is not the same as maintaining a viable stand-up career. He was almost booed of the stage when he appeared on Letterman, and hasn't done a public interview like that ever since. His bubble is much more self-contained and exclusive than Maher's. Christ, his fans proudly call themselves 'dittoheads'. Maher can be a dick, but his comedy isn't exclusively anti-Republican.

 

 

 

 



I really don't see your point, beyond you thinking Maher > Limbaugh.

 

If Limbaugh can go on the air for three hours, five days a week, and tell jokes and do bits, and not be a comedian, then I guess Howard Stern isn't a comedian either.

 

There seems to be some Jesuitical hair splitting going on in this thread. Bill Maher is a Comedian/Pundit, while Rush Limbaugh is a Pundit/Comedian! They're totally different! Well, no, I don't think so. I'll bet you that Maher Fanboys nod their heads a lot and say "yep, Bill sure is right on everything" just like the Ditto heads do. And, I bet a large percentage of both men's listeners hate them, but listen to them "to hear what they'll say next".

post #126 of 241

The only difference I can think of between the two would be that politicians actually take Rush seriously.  When a Republican says something against Rush, an apology usually isn't far away; they fear him and his power.  Maher, meanwhile, complains about the left quite a bit, but his gripes always fall on deaf ears.  Cable news pundits love having Maher on their shows, but I don't see him as a powerful figure; I can't see a time where Democrats would be falling in line to please him.

post #127 of 241

This is exactly how I remember this happening.  The track was littered with cut-outs of green-technology advocates like Gore, Ralph Nader, and Michael Moore who Rush purposely hit.  What was really strange was by backing up on Gore multiple times, Rush actually came in last place on Leno's Green-Car Challenge leaderboard, screwing up the average-time, a statistic which was probably more important to Jay than his paycheck or his ratings.  Jay was pissed that Rush didn't go along with the bit and run over Gore to "save time", but Jay is such a slimy kiss ass that he rolled with Rush's antics.  What really stuck in my mind here me is Rush had that same shit-eating determined look a real murderer would get, instead of trying to pretend he couldn't figure out a "green car" and making funny faces like an asshole.  And what was the joke here - that green-technology advocates should be murdered because it's better to drill for oil and keep building shitty cars?  That's exactly the message that played out in context of the bit.  I remember turning the channel before the bit was over and never watching Jay's show again, except his last 10:00PM show with Billy Crystal.  In contrast, Letterman once commented that Rush loosing a significant amount of weight was a "gay make-over".

post #128 of 241

I'd agree with you there. (In response to Iron Maiden's post above)

 

But who would Democrats fall into line for?

 

Rush did have real power in the GOP: witness the way Michael Steel had to publicly apologize to him after saying he wasn't. I wonder how much of the current controversy is due to machinations of Teh Left! vs. GOP leaders seeing a chance to jettison this fat load. And I also wonder what influence Rush ever really had. His "Operation" to promote Hillary Clinton in the 2008 campaign sure didn't work.


Edited by Cylon Baby - 3/10/12 at 2:30pm
post #129 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Rush was on either "The Jay Leno Show" or "The Tonight Show" once over the last few years.  I can't stand either person, but I do remember channel-surfing my way to whichever show it was.  Rush was driving a car through some dumb obstacle course set up where guests had to swerve away from a stand-up of Al Gore, amongst other things.  I specifically remember the Gore stand-up because Rush hit it on purpose, stopped the car, put it in reverse and hit it again.  Oh, Rush, what will you do next?

 

If it's any consolation, Leno asked him a few questions about the auto bailout.  Leno was clearly in favor.


This is exactly how I remember this happening.  The track was littered with cut-outs of green-technology advocates like Gore, Ralph Nader, and Michael Moore who Rush purposely hit.  What was really strange was by backing up on Gore multiple times, Rush actually came in last place on Leno's Green-Car Challenge.  Jay is such a slimy kiss ass that he rolled with the bit, but you could tell Jay was actually pissed that Rush screwed up the average-time for the celebrity leaderboard, a statistic likely more important to Jay than his paycheck or his ratings.  What really stuck in my mind here is Rush had that same shit-eating determined look a real murderer would get, instead of trying to pretend he couldn't figure out a "green car" and making funny faces like an asshole.  And what was the joke here - that green-technology advocates should be murdered because it's better to drill for oil and keep building shitty cars?  That's exactly the message that played out in context of the bit.  I remember turning the channel before the bit was over and never watching Jay's show again, except his last 10:00PM show with Billy Crystal.  In contrast, Letterman once commented that Rush loosing a significant amount of weight was a "gay make-over".

 

post #130 of 241

Oliver Stone's movie Talk Radio was good. But it was a lie. No one in America would kill a bat-shit crazy, righ-wing dee-jay. (And I know the motivation in the movie was b/c he was Jewish.) Instead, Limbaugh's hailed as some kind of hero.

 

God, bless America! God, save the queen!

post #131 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writhing Walt View Post

Oliver Stone's movie Talk Radio was good. But it was a lie. No one in America would kill a bat-shit crazy, righ-wing dee-jay. (And I know the motivation in the movie was b/c he was Jewish.) Instead, Limbaugh's hailed as some kind of hero.

 

God, bless America! God, save the queen!



The film and the play were based on Alan Berg, who was killed for being a left-wing (and Jewish) shock jock. 

post #132 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post



I really don't see your point, beyond you thinking Maher > Limbaugh.

 

If Limbaugh can go on the air for three hours, five days a week, and tell jokes and do bits, and not be a comedian, then I guess Howard Stern isn't a comedian either.

 

There seems to be some Jesuitical hair splitting going on in this thread. Bill Maher is a Comedian/Pundit, while Rush Limbaugh is a Pundit/Comedian! They're totally different! Well, no, I don't think so. I'll bet you that Maher Fanboys nod their heads a lot and say "yep, Bill sure is right on everything" just like the Ditto heads do. And, I bet a large percentage of both men's listeners hate them, but listen to them "to hear what they'll say next".



It goes way beyond the difference between a comedian and a political king-maker.  And it wasn't so much the language that Limbaugh uses, as much as the the fact that he attacked/belittled a civilian for 3 days straight. Maher only goes after public figures.

 

Maybe this article will clear it up for you:

 

http://polentical.com/2012/03/08/the-bogus-rush-limbaugh-bill-maher-comparison/

 

post #133 of 241

Stern and Maher also aren't necessary for Democratic candidates to take into account.  Rush has made himself the voice for a segment of the GOP, and the GOP listens to -- and maybe even fears -- him.

post #134 of 241

My distaste towards Maher has nothing to do with any sort of perceived equivalence between him and Limbaugh. His opinions have been made irrelevant for me for other reasons. His moronic anti-vaccination bullshit for one. I refuse to accept as a sane, intelligent man someone who says stuff like:

 

"If u get a swine flu shot ur an idiot."

 

"I would never get a swine flu vaccine, or any vaccine. I don't trust the government, especially with my health."

 

 

post #135 of 241

I'm not even sure that Stern should be lumped in with Maher and Rush as much as people want to think.  Stern's politics rarely branch far from self interest - he backed Clinton in '96 because he felt Clinton wanted to scale back the FCC.  Stern got 100% behind Bush's invasion of Iraq and Gulliani has grudgingly stopped by Howard's studio for Howard and Robin to kiss Guliani's ass and ask softball questions.  Howard never really backed Obama - he more tried to stop Sarah Palin, who he despises.  Stern is pro-Bloomberg, but I think has said more than once that Gulliani is "New Yorks Greatest Mayor".  He was anti-Dinkins.  He would have supported Arnold, except that Arnold didn't fight prop-8, and Stern often made long apologist speeches that Arnold really wanted gay marriage rights in California.  Stern is a political lighweight who actually once endorsed "the first caller" in a New Jersey governors race.

post #136 of 241

I love Stern but he watches Fox News and is hopelessly un/under-informed.  He's not analogous to Limbaugh at all, I don't think.  Stern isn't mean.  He pokes fun at people/things but he has compassion for people.  He doesn't have a money agenda like Limbaugh does.  He doesn't have whole industries making his life comfortable for the express purpose of him helping increase their bottom line.  His success is a direct result of him being a talented entertainer.  If anything, The Man tried to keep him down and shut him out.  Limbaugh is the opposite of that.  He identified early on where the money is and chose to be a mouthpiece for it.  I believe he's driven purely by ego, cynicism and greed.  He couldn't be more different from Stern.

 

And I don't get why people want to bash Bill Maher.  He has zero power.  He has an HBO show and therefore no sponsors that he has to worry about offending.  He gets things wrong some of the time but he also gets things right and does not hide or couch his stance on things he's passionate about, like pot and atheism.  He's nice to the Republicans on his show, unless Limbaugh who would NEVER even have a liberal on his show much less be nice to him/her.  Limbaugh screens callers and relies on plants to shore up his disgusting phony version of reality.  There is zero comparison. 

post #137 of 241

the antiRush virus is going...airborne.

 

Quote:

When it comes to advertisers avoiding controversial shows, it's not just Rush

 

From today’s TRI Newsletter: Premiere Networks is circulating a list of 98 advertisers who want to avoid “environments likely to stir negative sentiments.” The list includes carmakers (Ford, GM, Toyota), insurance companies (Allstate, Geico, Prudential, State Farm) and restaurants (McDonald’s, Subway). As you’ll see in the note below, those “environments” go beyond the Rush Limbaugh show –

“To all Traffic Managers: The information below applies to your Premiere Radio Networks commercial inventory. More than 350 different advertisers sponsor the programs and services provided to your station on a barter basis. Like advertisers that purchase commercials on your radio station from your sales staff, our sponsors communicate specific rotations, daypart preferences and advertising environments they prefer… They’ve specifically asked that you schedule their commercials in dayparts or programs free of content that you know are deemed to be offensive or controversial (for example, Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Tom Leykis, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity). Those are defined as environments likely to stir negative sentiment from a very small percentage of the listening public.”

 

I definitely wouldn't be sad to see Rush go but I would be toasting champagne if Michael Savage were get his ass kicked off the air. In some ways, he's way worse than Jabba.

post #138 of 241

I hate this false equivalency bullshit that I'm reading here from you fuckheads.

 

Firstly, Maher's only concern about this subject is the fact that people were able to get sponsors to pull out of Limbaughs show. $$$ is all Maher cares about and he worries that the same thing might happen to him one day. He's arguing that capitalism should be allowed to run unabated even if money is made on the back of dangerous hate speech designed to roll back progress. Furthermore, Limbaugh has been spewing hate speech for 20 years and I'll be glad the day he's off the air or dead. All he does is lie through his teeth, smears, bullies and riles up paranoid wingnuts into a frenzy and what we get as a result of that is the Oklahoma City Bombing.

 

Another thing, I think it's really distasteful the way Maher is trying to paint what Limpdick said about Fluke as a "joke". No Bill. Miss Fluke had a reasonable question about why birth control isn't covered by HER OWN PRIVATE INSURANCE THAT SHE PAYS FOR and FatShitFuck went on a blitz against this woman, calling her a slut and a prostitute then doubled down for three days and started asking for sex tapes of her. The morbidly obese mongolid only backpeddled when it his wallet and NO ONE believe for one fucking second that his "apology" was sincere so Maher should STFU because Fluke was absolutely right to tell that motherfucker to shove it next to the cyst that he used to get out of fighting in Nam.

 

This has been the M.O. of the right wing for decades and people like Maher are the ones who make us weak. The right operates by screaming, yelling and lying to shut conversation down as we witnessed during the townhall healthcare debates where people were shipped to these meeting's by people like the Koch brothers for the sole purpose of disrupting any reasonable discussion. People like Maher take it and say "oh well, freedom of speech". Fine but "freedom of speech" DOES NOT mean that I have to sit and take it and if he wants to spew hate then he can do it on a fucking street corner because I and others will make sure that this fat cocksucker and cretins like him (Beck, O'Reilly, Malkin, Stossel, Coulter etc...) don't make a fucking cent from their bile which does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve the quality of life in this country nor does it inform or educate. All it does is stoke the fires of racist, sexist, bigoted know nothing rednecks who are too stupid to know that they are being lied to.

 

If people want to converse, GREAT, WONDERFUL, but that's not what people like Limbaugh do and Bill Maher fucking knows better. Also, I defend Maher when he calls Sarah Palin a cunt because THAT IS WHAT SHE IS!. This woman is no better than Limpdick as she fucking lies 24/7 and has NO INTEREST in Governing as she sees politics as her lottery ticket. She's fucking slime and I can pull out dozens of instances of ACTUAL TRUE INDISPUTABLE FACTS that proves that she is, in fact, a stupid cunt. Finally, Maher is a comedian and Limpdick is not because when Maher talks shit about some politician, we know he's telling the truth and we can laugh BECAUSE IT'S TRUE. When Limbaugh starts ranting about how Obama is a socialist, Marxist, communist liberal coming for your guns you fucking well know that there are hundreds is not thousands of his listeners polishing their guns and wishing they could get within 3 feet of the President.

 

Do I need to remind any of you of those gun targets that Sarah Palin's campaign placed on her promotional materials? One of which was placed on Gabrielle Giffords district? You know, the same Giffords that was shot in the fucking head by some fucking lunatic who was no doubt sparked off by the searing hate that the right aims at people it doesn't like. Or how about Dr. Tiller who was FUCKING MURDERED IN HIS CHURCH after Bill O'Rielly targeted him for MONTHS on his program! Or how about those people who were showing up at Obama/DNC rallies with guns strapped to them and threatening quotes?

 

So fuck any of you who try to make out that what ANYONE on the left says is equivalent to the shit that gets shoveled out on the right because I sure as fuck know that NO ONE on the left is going to try to kill Sarah Palin or Rush Limbaugh and that's because we simply laugh at these fucking clowns and their drones, that is until someone gets hurt. And it usually does as Fascism is the natural conclusion of conservatism and if the right wing can't get what it wants through lying, cheating or stealing then they will resort to violence and murder.   

 

 

post #139 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoDead View Post

I hate this false equivalency bullshit that I'm reading here from.....

 

etc etc...

 

first off, I'm thinking that there was a mistake...perhaps VD meant to post his 'rant' over on the Free Republic forum. ??

1st post jitters?

 

 

2nd, While I do disagree with some of Bill Maher's positions (vaccine nonsense) I think that if Bill Maher was so concerned about $$, I don't think he would have given $1M to that Obama superpac.

 

I think the majority of people here do not subscribe to the idea that there is an equivalency between what Jabba says and what Maher says.

post #140 of 241

Didn't Rush Limbaugh get pissed at former RNC chairman Michael Steele when he was dismissed as an "entertainer" whose material was ugly and incendiary?

 

 

 

Quote:
In remarks aired by the CNN program D.L. Hughley Breaks the News on March 1, 2009, Steele said he, rather than Limbaugh, is "the de facto leader of the Republican Party. Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh's whole thing is entertainment. Yes, it is incendiary. Yes, it is ugly." On March 2, 2009 Limbaugh said on his radio show that Steele is not fit to lead the Republican Party, asking of him "Why do you claim to lead the Republican Party when you seem obsessed with seeing to it President Obama succeeds?"   After the show Steele called Limbaugh to apologize, saying "I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh. I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership. I went back at that tape and I realized words that I said weren't what I was thinking. It was one of those things where I thinking I was saying one thing, and it came out differently. What I was trying to say was a lot of people want to make Rush the scapegoat, the bogeyman, and he's not."  Steele later issued another statement to say that Limbaugh "is a national conservative leader, and in no way do I want to diminish his voice. I truly apologize."

 

Besides the fact that Maher didn't engage in a 3-day war on a private citizen and is actually defending Rush now, I've yet to see a situation where the Democratic leadership has been deferential to Maher to the same extent that the GOP is of Rush. 

post #141 of 241

  I'm a big Maher fan. While I'll admit that he can be smug, he backs up everything he says with facts. He was against the Iraq war from the start. While I don't agree with everything he says*, he does have honest discussion on his show. There is usually one Republican on the panel. Maher almost always disagrees with them, but they are never cut off or insulted. His point about Rush was that he believes in free speech and would rather have assholes like Rush, then no free speech at all.

 

  Back to Stern, of course he was screwed over by Clear Channel, that doesn't excuse being so pro Bush at the beginning of the Iraq war. He repeated on the same, now debunked, talking points: have to invade because of 9/11, gas will be cheaper, war won't last long, and anyone who thought otherwise didn't remember 9/11.

 

*Maher thinks Obama is an atheist because he is too smart not to be one. This is similar assumption that Obama is an Muslim. Instead of an insult Maher means it as a compliment. Obama went to Rev Wright's church for years, so I think its a good bet he is a Christian.

 

Maher gave Obama a pass on his administration cracking on legal sellers of medical pot. His logic was that Obama had a lot on his table. Then why arrest people who aren't actually breaking the law?


Edited by Chaz - 3/10/12 at 2:40pm
post #142 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeper View Post



It goes way beyond the difference between a comedian and a political king-maker.  And it wasn't so much the language that Limbaugh uses, as much as the the fact that he attacked/belittled a civilian for 3 days straight. Maher only goes after public figures.

 

Maybe this article will clear it up for you:

 

http://polentical.com/2012/03/08/the-bogus-rush-limbaugh-bill-maher-comparison/

 


Yes actually I pointed out that Rush made a heinous personal attack on a private citizen in a post above, thanks for not reading.

 

My only point was that Rush and Maher are in the same business. The fact that the GOP actually listens to Rush while the DNC ignores Maher is irrelevant.


 

 

post #143 of 241

And some people do believe that it's an important distinction to make. Rush and Maher are not comparable, IMO, but I can see why someone would disagree.

 

That being said, I think Maher is an ass too.  It's just that equating what he said to Palin with how Rush focused on Fluke is absolutely ridiculous.

post #144 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post His point about Rush was that he believes in free speech and would rather have assholes like Rush, then no free speech at all.


No it wasn't, because this is not a free speech issue.  No one is saying Rush can't say all the awful things he wants, but he isn't entitled to sponsorship for them.

post #145 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post



No it wasn't, because this is not a free speech issue.  No one is saying Rush can't say all the awful things he wants, but he isn't entitled to sponsorship for them.



Nor is he entitled to not be called out on his comments. I think this just may be Rush's "Imus" moment.

post #146 of 241

Eight Hateful Comments About Women By Rush Limbaugh

 

 

Quote:

“Women should not be allowed on juries where the accused is a stud.”

“Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society.”

“Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?” (Rush Limbaugh, while holding up a photograph of 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton)

“They’re out there protesting what they actually wish would happen to them sometimes.” (Rush Limbaugh, on women who protest against sexual harassment).

“I’m a huge supporter of women. What I’m not is a supporter of liberalism. Feminism is what I oppose. Feminism has led women astray. I love the women’s movement — especially when walking behind it.”

We’re not sexists, we’re chauvinists — we’re male chauvinist pigs, and we’re happy to be because we think that’s what men were destined to be. We think that’s what women want.”

“What is it with all of these young, single white women? Overeducated- doesn’t mean intelligent.”

I think this reason why girls don’t do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, ‘All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what’s it going to be?’ We all know what was chosen.”

 

Gotta love ol' Rush. The guy spews shit at all times, the fact that he has an audience continuously terrifies me.

post #147 of 241

That last one made me punch my computer screen. Now there's a crack in it. Thanks alot.

post #148 of 241

 

Quote:
I love the women’s movement — especially when walking behind it.

 

Wasn't that a Bob Seger lyric?

post #149 of 241
Quote:

 

  Back to Stern, of course he was screwed over by Clear Channel, that doesn't excuse being so pro Bush at the beginning of the Iraq war. He repeated on the same, now debunked, talking points: have to invade because of 9/11, gas will be cheaper, war won't last long, and anyone who thought otherwise didn't remember 9/11.

 


I'm going to play the apologist and remind everyone that by the middle of Bush's second term Stern had done a very honest and passionate 180 - he threw his support behind Stern super-fan Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks and would rant Obama talking points of focusing the wars back towards catching Osama bi Laden.  While we should be sympathetic that Stern was screwed over by Clear Channel, he was even more screwed over by the terrorist plot to murder New Yorkers, which happened down the street from Stern during the middle of a show.  Considering that all of Howard's extended maternal family was wiped out by Nazis and that he lived through 911, I would say that a lot of his paranoia and anger are understandable - his current, mellowed views on terrorism and foreign policy are likely the result of years of intense and expensive psychotherapy.

post #150 of 241

let's be clear...Rush doesn't just hate women, he has enough bile running through his cholesterol clogged veins to spread around....

 

15 Of The Worst Comments Limbaugh's Advertisers Have Sponsored Since 2004

 

<couple examples>

Quote:

On June 16, 2010, Limbaugh ridiculed children who rely on school meals and said:

 

[T]here's always the neighborhood dumpster. Now, you might find competition with homeless people there, but there are videos that have been produced to show you how to healthfully dine and how to dumpster dive and survive until school kicks back up in August.

 

Quote:

On January 20, 2010, Limbaugh said:

 

To some people, bankers -- code word for Jewish -- and guess who Obama's assaulting? He's assaulting bankers. He's assaulting money people. And a lot of those people on Wall Street are Jewish. So I wonder if there's starting to be some buyer's remorse there.

Quote:

On January 19, 2007, Limbaugh said:

 

The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons.

 

 I don't know about anyone else, but Rushie reminds me of this guy who took it upon himself to show up at a weekly motorcycle ride I used to be a part of...he would show up not wearing proper gear and speed excessively and pull wheelies (stunt) on the freeway....basically be dangerous to everyone else riding near him (not to mention attract the attention of law enforcement) He was pretty much a giant asshole.

We finally ended up changing meeting spots to avoid having him ruin our rides.

 

Hopefully, we as a society can change meeting spots.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Racist and Other Observations