or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › VIDEO GAMES & RPG › Video Games › Dragon Age II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dragon Age II - Page 3

post #101 of 560
Thread Starter 

Understanding how spells work and planning your levelups are crucial. Like loblaw, I avoid the area effect spells in favor of some of the more devastation combinations, like nightmare and shatter. If you're working two mages with petrify and stone fist, then you've got an insta-kill on two low level enemies at the ready. I'm in the deep roads right now on my 2nd playthrough, and I'm finding the ranger ummons and the animate dead spell really useful. The skeleton can take twice the beating that my Wynne can. I'm looking forward to opening up the spell boost ability so I can crank out an upgraded summon. 

 

 

 

 

post #102 of 560

Btw, on the console, you can only summon one creature at a time.  So going for animate dead is a total waste if you're going to have a ranger in the party also. 

post #103 of 560

Yeah, the shattering combos and the sleep are the other things I do every single battle. Not sure I have crushing prison, but I should be close to it on Morgan's tree. I have her with the sleep/hex stuff, plus a few other missiles. My main mage and old lady mage (forget her name) have the main bulk of the magery split between them, like the opening blizzard/earthquake.

 

I know it would be good to have a rogue, but as I said I missed my chance to get Lelanna, and I hated the personality of the elf guy so I kicked him to the curb.

 

Alright...I'll probably finish it at some point. It's just I have to do the elf town part before the cool city stuff, and I hear that part sucks too.

post #104 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Yeah, the shattering combos and the sleep are the other things I do every single battle. Not sure I have crushing prison, but I should be close to it on Morgan's tree. I have her with the sleep/hex stuff, plus a few other missiles. My main mage and old lady mage (forget her name) have the main bulk of the magery split between them, like the opening blizzard/earthquake.

 

I know it would be good to have a rogue, but as I said I missed my chance to get Lelanna, and I hated the personality of the elf guy so I kicked him to the curb.

 

Alright...I'll probably finish it at some point. It's just I have to do the elf town part before the cool city stuff, and I hear that part sucks too.



Honestly, I would probably start over again if I were you.  Obviously if you are not totally enjoying it, then this is a remote possibility, but the game gets ALOT better once you get the hang of it.  And I cant even imagine playing this game without a rogue.  Leliana is a must.  You miss out on too much gear and too much exp without having a rogue in your party (picking locks and traps gives you between 20-50 exp per pick).  Plus the Ranger towards the end of the game is pretty valuable. 

 

I did the exact same thing that you did on my first playthru.  Missed out on Leliana completely.  I realized it about three gameplay hours later and restarted the game. 

 

Crushing Prison is a must for a Mage, its one of the first spells I go for...does a ton of damage and is great for crowd control.  My normal rotation is CoC, stonefist, CoC, Crushing Prison, CoC, stonefist.  Ill mix in an arcane or frost bolt if Im waiting for cooldowns.  Get Morrigan Crushing Prison and the Misdirection Hex that she can throw on every elite or above level enemy.  

post #105 of 560

And I like all the stuff in Denerim.  The game can change dramatically based on the decisions you make here, especially when relating to Loghain. 

post #106 of 560

Denerim's fantastic. Particularly once you hit the Landsmeet, and are forced to make several painful character/storyline choices.

 

(Also, you can achievement-whore the living hell out of the "multiple endings" trophy here, with several judiciously-placed save files.)

post #107 of 560

There's a demo hitting next week!

post #108 of 560

Game went "gold" four days ago.

 

Also, PC Gamer gives it 94/100 in their review.

 

Keynotes:

 

  • At least 50 hours long.
  • Still has a deep combat system.
  • Hawke is a "good" character.
  • Conversation-wheel is quite good.
  • Supposedly, the "best combat" in any RPG ever.

 


...So, yeah. Any last doubts you had, erase them now.

post #109 of 560

Never really had any doubts to begin with. Signature edition is pre-ordered. I'm expecting a jump in quality similar to the jump from MASS EFFECT 1 to MASS EFFECT 2. Bring it.

post #110 of 560
Thread Starter 

50 hours?  oooh this is gonna piss of my wife so bad

post #111 of 560

I know, mine too. Then again, due to various reasons, I've been spending much more time at home recently, so a brand-new, meaty BioWare RPG is right up my alley at the moment.

 

According to the devs, there is actually no lead, "final" endgame villain in this one -- it's more about your personal journey as a character, and the tough choices you're forced to make, both politically as ruler, and morally. Not unlike Ultima IV, in that respect.

 

Which is music to my ears.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak chase View Post

Never really had any doubts to begin with. Signature edition is pre-ordered. I'm expecting a jump in quality similar to the jump from MASS EFFECT 1 to MASS EFFECT 2. Bring it.

 

Yeah, pre-ordered mine last fall (for the 360), and graphically, this looks better than DA:O in nearly every conceivable way. I know lots of PC gamers were bitching about the game supposedly getting fed through the Mass Effect sausage-grinder and getting "watered-down," console-style, but reviews like that one tend to put my mind at ease bigtime.

post #112 of 560
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto II View Post

 

According to the devs, there is actually no lead, "final" endgame villain in this one -- it's more about your personal journey as a character, and the tough choices you're forced to make, both politically as ruler, and morally. Not unlike Ultima IV, in that respect.

This is interesting. Dragon Age was fun, but it followed fantasy tropes a little too closely - a chosen warrior, an empty throne, miner dwarves, the obligatory endgame dragon, etc.

 

Mass Effect 2 doesn't really have an endgame villain either, since the final boss comes out of nowhere and isn't much tougher than a single Praetorian. I do hope that "endgame boss" and "strong adversary" aren't the same thing.
 

post #113 of 560

I played through the console version of DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS as a mage who specialized in attack/healing spells. Used a lot of the blizzard/fire/lightning variants and would heal my party -- which usually consisted of Alistair, another tank, and one of the two rogues -- when necessary. And I took on the Arcane Warrior specialization as soon as I could. I was able to finish the game on Hardcore this way, so ... it can be done.

 

Playing without a rogue in your party sounds like a really bad idea, though.

post #114 of 560

I really like the idea of there being no "final boss", no endgame villain to defeat, no climactic battle with an over-arching nemesis to build to. I imagine that characteristic will lend itself toward making the game's story feel palatable even taking the fantasy elements into consideration. Pretty cool, and in my opinion a bold choice that should help give DA II its own identity.

post #115 of 560

I like the idea just because it took me three full nights of trying to defeat the Archdemon in ORIGINS. I hate that damn dragon!

post #116 of 560

If they get a certain number of downloads for the demo they'll give out two extra items when the main game comes out. I think I'll just download the demo but not play it, I mean, I know I'm gonna get the game on day of release, don't need any more teasing before I play it.

post #117 of 560
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak chase View Post

I like the idea just because it took me three full nights of trying to defeat the Archdemon in ORIGINS. I hate that damn dragon!


One thing I love about Origins is that everybody has a different 'most difficult boss fight'. Mine was the Dwarf gangster lady in Dust town (Juyia? J-somehting), followed up closely by Branka. The first time I played through with my Mage, I probably reloaded the Brood Mother fight ten times before I won. Both times I beat the Archdemon without a problem.

post #118 of 560

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

One thing I love about Origins is that everybody has a different 'most difficult boss fight'. Mine was the Dwarf gangster lady in Dust town (Juyia? J-somehting), followed up closely by Branka. The first time I played through with my Mage, I probably reloaded the Brood Mother fight ten times before I won. Both times I beat the Archdemon without a problem.



Very true. I didn't really have any problems with the bosses in the Deep Roads. The Archdemon was a bitch, and I had a hell of a time killing Uldred at the end of the Mage Tower section of the game.

 

And, yeah, I'm passing on the DA II demo, too. (Eh, maybe I'll download and delete, as callahan suggested, just to get the items.) Can't wait for release day, though.

post #119 of 560

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

followed up closely by Branka


This.

 

FUCK that fucking self-absorbed cunt.

 

The Broodmother and Archdemon fights weren't too terrible, but to this day I still have nightmares from trying to kill the Harvester on "Nightmare" difficulty.

post #120 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post




One thing I love about Origins is that everybody has a different 'most difficult boss fight'. Mine was the Dwarf gangster lady in Dust town (Juyia? J-somehting), followed up closely by Branka. The first time I played through with my Mage, I probably reloaded the Brood Mother fight ten times before I won. Both times I beat the Archdemon without a problem.

 

Absolutely true. For me, honestly, it was the damn Elf leader in the Nature of the Beast storyline.
 

post #121 of 560

Pffft, you guys and you Brankas and your Archdemons! Gaxkang was the real bad mofo, A #1 of Ferelden, oh yeah.

 

 

(admittedly, fighting him in a room barely bigger than a cupboard didn't help matters but hey..!)

post #122 of 560

So has the demo been released yet? Anyone had a go at it?

post #123 of 560

Isn't that not till Tuesday?

post #124 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoolong View Post

Isn't that not till Tuesday?



Oh okay - I look forward to peoples thoughts. Many of you seem a lot more excited by this than I am - and I'm still trying to work out why that is.

 

It feels like Bioware just aren't pimping this like they did the first game. I'm scared they may know what they've got on their hands, or that EA has thoroughly blanded-out everything that made the first game so special and basically just tried to make a fantasy Mass Effect.

 

Is there any film-like trailers out for this that rival the first games incredible Sacred Ashes piece? 

post #125 of 560

It is the sequel to a pretty well-received game.  May not need to market it as hard I guess.

post #126 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoolong View Post

It is the sequel to a pretty well-received game.  May not need to market it as hard I guess.


I don't buy that personally, that aint how Bioware approached Mass Effect 2 for example...

post #127 of 560

Well, PC Gamer gave it a 94, so hopefully that's an indication that it's actually good.

post #128 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoolong View Post

Well, PC Gamer gave it a 94, so hopefully that's an indication that it's actually good.



I'm not really up on my game reviewing media these days - are they pretty reputable?

 

Don't get me wrong, I really really want this to be tits, it's just that something for me has felt a bit 'off' about the whole affair since proper game details started being released to the world. That, and I'm kind of scared that EA being in charge will see the game lose what makes it special in an effort to appeal to more casual gamers.

 

Again, I'd really love being wrong tho and am still pre-ordering the signature edition - the incredible goodwill I have towards the original and Bioware in general at least earns them that.

post #129 of 560

BioWare has made a game that I didn't love exactly never. So until that happens ...

post #130 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel Red View Post

Pffft, you guys and you Brankas and your Archdemons! Gaxkang was the real bad mofo, A #1 of Ferelden, oh yeah.

 

 

(admittedly, fighting him in a room barely bigger than a cupboard didn't help matters but hey..!)


Yeah, that one was by far the hardest, albeit entirely optional.   The others varied in difficulty depending on the order you went in.  Basically Gaxkang, Flemeth and the boss of the first main questline you choose will always be harder than the Archdemon. 

 

As for the "no final boss" thing,  I dunno.  On the one hand, I'm all for experimenting and innovative structuring, but on the other, the basic approach is basic for a reason, and the DA story was very satisfying in its more traditional aspects.  Bioware's gotten so good at delivering epic action climaxes to these games, I don't want them to go too far fixing what ain't broke.

post #131 of 560

I'm guessing there will be plenty of bosses in DA II, including some quite difficult ones. They may just be trying something non-traditional with the ending. I'm cool with that.

post #132 of 560

Yeah, I know they aren't eschewing combat entirely or anything, it's just that it's harder to get excited about something non-traditional when 1) there's not a lot of details about how, and 2) they're so goddamn good at the traditional approach. 

 

Not like I'm gonna cancel my pre-order or anything.  Bioware RPGs are basically the only games I play anymore.

post #133 of 560

As far as the Archedemon goes, my tank had about 200 large health potions on him, and after the rest of party fought the good fight and gave their all, my Rogue Dwarf  kicked that fire-breathin' bitch back to hell where she belonged, chuggin' on potions the whole time.

post #134 of 560
Thread Starter 

While my Warden, Sten, and Shayle beat the hell out of the Archdemon up close, my Wynne ran around firing Ballista spears all over the place. Add to that a werewolf army, and the fight was over in under ten minutes.

post #135 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoolong View Post

Well, PC Gamer gave it a 94, so hopefully that's an indication that it's actually good.


If that review was written by Desslock, I'd have the game pre-ordered already and gone into media black-out. As it is, this guy's preview coverage so far has been unsatisfactory, to put it mildly. I eagerly await for the demo.

 

post #136 of 560

I thought the combat on the console version was ass so I'll be waiting for the demo to see if the changes are as severe (good) as ME1 to ME2.

post #137 of 560

Having played both the PC and 360 versions, if anything, the combat on consoles is slightly MORE hardcore than on PCs, since you don't get the added luxury of tactically pausing every few seconds to issue party commands and scope out the battlefield from afar. On Xbox, you gotta keep on killin', and even though you can pause the action, it's still different from PC.

 

I'll go onto various Dragon Age forums and always find posts bragging about how the PC version is "superior" to the other builds, but if anything, at the end of the day, the console versions separate the men from the boys. You have to have a bit more sack to play it on consoles.

post #138 of 560

I don't PC game, I just added that caveat so I wouldn't get slammed by everyone telling me I shouldn't be playing this type of game on a console.

post #139 of 560

But you really shoudn't.

post #140 of 560

I never fought Flemeth in Dragon Age.  Just realized this.

 

It's time for a pre-Dragon Age II playthrough.

post #141 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

But you really shoudn't.



That's bullshit. The console version plays just fine, and the PC version plays just fine.  Dragon Age is great no matter what you're playing it on.

post #142 of 560

You are certainly entitled to your completely wrong opinion.

post #143 of 560

PC or DEATH!

 

I honestly can't imagine playing DA on a console.  It confounds me.  It's cool that people without normal-ass rigs (this game ain't that taxing) can play it, but ugh.  Just ugh.  

post #144 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

[I am] certainly entitled to [my] completely wrong opinion.


 

There, I fixed it for you.

 

Screw your "PC is the only way to play" bullshit. Dragon Age is a great game. It is made great by many things including, but not limited to, the story, the characters, the random dialogue, and the RPG elements. These things are EXACTLY THE SAME in every version of the game. The only differences come in some gameplay differences due to different interfaces.  Does that make the game play differently on the different platforms? Sure, to a certain extent. That doesn't mean that it makes the game completely unplayable one way or the other. Most of the things that make Dragon Age what it is are exactly the same. You still need to think strategically when approaching battles. You can still micromanage how your party behaves. You still have in-depth conversations with your party in camp. You still have to make difficult story decisions.

 

Dragon Age is great. It's great on PC. It's great on 360. It's great on PS3. It's great no matter where you choose to play it.

post #145 of 560
post #146 of 560


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon_Wizard View Post




 

There, I fixed it for you.

 

Screw your "PC is the only way to play" bullshit. Dragon Age is a great game. It is made great by many things including, but not limited to, the story, the characters, the random dialogue, and the RPG elements. These things are EXACTLY THE SAME in every version of the game. The only differences come in some gameplay differences due to different interfaces.  Does that make the game play differently on the different platforms? Sure, to a certain extent. That doesn't mean that it makes the game completely unplayable one way or the other. Most of the things that make Dragon Age what it is are exactly the same. You still need to think strategically when approaching battles. You can still micromanage how your party behaves. You still have in-depth conversations with your party in camp. You still have to make difficult story decisions.

 

Dragon Age is great. It's great on PC. It's great on 360. It's great on PS3. It's great no matter where you choose to play it.



PC Gamers get so pissy that consoles have won the war in what people prefer to play their video games on and that certain genres like FPSes and RPGs play just fine on a console.

 

The 90's were great for shooters on the PC and consoles were a lot more primitive, but I will always prefer a system where I can pop in a game and not have to worry about system requirements, especially now in an era of amazing games.

post #147 of 560

I'd still play games on PC if the games I wasn't always seemingly attracted to required me to spend a small fortune on a system upgrade just to be able to get them to run at even one third of their expected playing speed.

 

The day I can get a game the likes of the most recent Total Wars on a console is the day I dance a fuckin jig I tells ya.

post #148 of 560

Wait, so now I'm hilariously defending pc games against their console bretheren? Jesus Christ.

 

I OWN a PS3 and an Xbox 360. There are some games that simply play better on the fucking pc. Jesus H. Christ, I never realized I was a member of some jealous, slighted group, skulking in the dark with my envy of console gamers. Batman was better on a console. Assassin's Creed was better on a console. You know what? Dragon Age was better on the pc.  Holy shit, what a stupid fucking debate.

 

Seriously, people. Some games are better on the pc. Some games are better on consoles. Get a freakin' grip already.

post #149 of 560
Thread Starter 

Speaking ill of a console is a HUGE PERSONAL ATTACK. Wait, which is the good one again?

post #150 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Wait, so now I'm hilariously defending pc games against their console bretheren? Jesus Christ.

 

I OWN a PS3 and an Xbox 360. There are some games that simply play better on the fucking pc. Jesus H. Christ, I never realized I was a member of some jealous, slighted group, skulking in the dark with my envy of console gamers. Batman was better on a console. Assassin's Creed was better on a console. You know what? Dragon Age was better on the pc.  Holy shit, what a stupid fucking debate.

 

Seriously, people. Some games are better on the pc. Some games are better on consoles. Get a freakin' grip already.


You know who else liked games on pc????

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games
CHUD.com Community › Forums › VIDEO GAMES & RPG › Video Games › Dragon Age II