or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Pre-Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Pre-Release Thread

post #1 of 4801
Thread Starter 
Official title, official thread. Have at it, nerds.
post #2 of 4801
Obligatory Batman boner joke. There, it's done and out of the way. Hopefully we won't have to read a thousand more following this post.
post #3 of 4801
Who's the more nerd? The nerd, or the nerd who starts the thread?
post #4 of 4801
More good news: the source article has Nolan saying it won't be in 3D, but will focus on HD and IMAX technology.
post #5 of 4801
I hear Mo'Nique has been cast as Catwoman to make it really edgy and realistic. I agree with this decision.
post #6 of 4801
A pre-release thread? Jesus. It doesn't even have an IMDB page or a filming start date does it?
post #7 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post
A pre-release thread? Jesus. It doesn't even have an IMDB page or a filming start date does it?
No, but we have a title, release date, a director, writer, a good chunk of the cast. It's not like the production is in doubt or it's only being spitballed.
post #8 of 4801
What's the over/under on number of pages by opening day?
post #9 of 4801
The Batman 3 Speculation Thread is no more. Begin the Dark Knight Rises speculation.
post #10 of 4801
RIP Batman 3 Speculation Page. You had a good run.

(Moment of silence)

So, Nolan has went on record in different interviews saying Riddler, Freeze and Penguin are not in the next movie. Who does that leave us as valid choices as the next villian? I'd have to go with Hugo Strange, Black Mask or Deadshot as working best within Nolan's take on Gotham.
post #11 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
So, Nolan has went on record in different interviews saying Riddler, Freeze and Penguin are not in the next movie. Who does that leave us as valid choices as the next villian? I'd have to go with Hugo Strange, Black Mask or Deadshot as working best within Nolan's take on Gotham.
Black Mask and Deadshot would be a great combination.

However, I'm wondering if TDKR will be as structurally and tonally different from TDK as that film was from BEGINS. I am really hoping, since this is Nolan's conclusion to his take on Batman, that the film will resemble BEGINS in the sense of giving Wayne/Bats a clear, satisfying arc and keeping him front and center.
post #12 of 4801
Not crazy about the title, but the exclusion of The Riddler more than makes up for it.
post #13 of 4801
Noomi Rapace would make an awesome Magpie.
post #14 of 4801
I think Talia al Ghul might be a cool villainess/love interest, if only to tie it back to the first one.

I'm curious about the villain, but I'm more hopeful/relieved/grateful about the continued exclusion of Robin. Thank God Nolan has taste.
post #15 of 4801
Okay, I won't fanwank, but I'll make a bet. It's probably going to be Black Mask and Catwoman. I base the Black Mask idea on a lot of the rumors regarding who Nolan was considering for TDK before settling on the Joker, but the Catwoman thing is just something I feel is going to turn out to be true. A fresh take on an old favorite and a newbie. That is all.
post #16 of 4801
I was coming to cheerlead naming it "The Caped Crusader", but then someone said "Shadow of the Bat" and stopped me dead in my tracks. That's a good, good name.

ETA: Or "Knightfall", too! Goddammit, Nolan, you picked a stupid name. "Knightfall" and "Shadow of the Bat" are all from Batman comic books, so they tie into the character effortlessly!
post #17 of 4801
I think I'd like to see the last villain be a physical villain. Batman's such a physical character, but we have yet to see him really fight someone who can stand toe to toe with him.

Yeah, there was Ra's, but they most danced around each other on the train car. The face-off with the Joker at the end of TDK was unsatisfying: all that build up, and then Batman fights some dogs?

Let's see some brawling this time around.
post #18 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post
Okay, I won't fanwank, but I'll make a bet. It's probably going to be Black Mask and Catwoman. I base the Black Mask idea on a lot of the rumors regarding who Nolan was considering for TDK before settling on the Joker, but the Catwoman thing is just something I feel is going to turn out to be true. A fresh take on an old favorite and a newbie. That is all.
We got a fresh take on Catwoman in 2004. I don't think the world is ready for another one, even if it's coming from Nolan.

Talia Al Ghul and Black Mask make the most sense in Nolan's world.
post #19 of 4801
Isn't anyone else more interested in seeing new takes on characters they grew up watching in Batman cartoons and the '60s series? I'm surprised how many people are hoping for people like Black Mask or Hush. As someone who has never read the comics, I know nothing about them. Oddly enough, the first time I saw them was in the "Lego Batman" video game. Yes, I am childish. At least Deadshot was in "Justice League". And if you want brawling, I suggest Bane. Yeah, the steroid-like venom stuff is silly, but if written as an exceptionally intelligent guy who can both overpower Batman physically and use his intelligence to track him down, he might work.
post #20 of 4801
I think of the title as a person rises after being knighted. That or this is about the rise of The Dark Knight to the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so we'll hunt errr umm yeah.

It's not like we're not going to see if because of a weird title.

I think the title "The Dark Knight" has recognition, so like Indiana Jones, it has to be in the 3rd title. On that note, I hope Batman Begins doesn't get converted to The Dark Knight: Batman Begins, that a 4th movie comes out and totally sucks and the movies later all get converted to 3D later down the pike.
post #21 of 4801
Guys lets not post so much that we crowd out other upcoming releases. Films coming out in the next few months, which actually need the attention.
post #22 of 4801
I'm sure multi-tasking on a message board won't be much of an issue, Bluelouboyle.
post #23 of 4801
If Catwoman really is in this I'm guessing she'll be some vigilante hired to track down Batman. (duh)
post #24 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naisu Baddi View Post
Isn't anyone else more interested in seeing new takes on characters they grew up watching in Batman cartoons and the '60s series? I'm surprised how many people are hoping for people like Black Mask or Hush. As someone who has never read the comics, I know nothing about them. Oddly enough, the first time I saw them was in the "Lego Batman" video game. Yes, I am childish. At least Deadshot was in "Justice League". And if you want brawling, I suggest Bane. Yeah, the steroid-like venom stuff is silly, but if written as an exceptionally intelligent guy who can both overpower Batman physically and use his intelligence to track him down, he might work.
Oh, I wish Nolan was doing the Riddler since he's always been my favorite Batman villian since I was a kid. However, the Riddler along with the other usual suspects (ex: Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face, and Penguin) have been interpreted so many different times that I wouldn't mind seeing some more obscure characters get the spotlight for a change.
post #25 of 4801
What's this I'm hearing about the Dink being cast as Bat Mite?
post #26 of 4801
Killer Croc could be a villain that is really inspired by what the Joker stood for. Actually I just wanted to share this.
post #27 of 4801
What the fuck is that supposed to be?
post #28 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post
What the fuck is that supposed to be?
A screenshot of Kevin Grevioux as Rize from Underworld, made to imply he'd make a good Killer Croc...?
post #29 of 4801
A fuzzy picture of a black vampire, apparently.
post #30 of 4801
I just Google imaged Killer Croc and I found that gem.
post #31 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMantis View Post
If Catwoman really is in this I'm guessing she'll be some vigilante hired to track down Batman. (duh)
I don't think there's any "duh" about it; she would work much better for what she already is: a criminal who is neither wholly corrupt nor simply on Bat's side.

Deadshot or Deathstroke would work much better in the "hired to hunt Batman" role.
post #32 of 4801
I could see Tom Hardy playing Killer Croc. He has a sort of gravely speaking voice. It would be less "walking lizard", and more "guy with scaly skin". Or maybe he just has freaky tattoos. Like Max Caddy in Cape Fear.
post #33 of 4801
I thought we all agreed that Tiny Zeus Lister played Killer Croc in The Dark Knight.
post #34 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post
I could see Tom Hardy playing Killer Croc. He has a sort of gravely speaking voice. It would be less "walking lizard", and more "guy with scaly skin". Or maybe he just has freaky tattoos. Like Max Caddy in Cape Fear.

These films don't need any more people with gravely speaking voices. Bale has ruined that for everyone.
post #35 of 4801
I want Tom Hardy playing Azrael.
post #36 of 4801
Film Freak is the villain in Batman 3. I scooped it.
post #37 of 4801
Deadshot is perfect. Part vigilante/part hitman. He would fill the void that Batman creates once he goes on the run. Catwoman would work in a similar way but Deadshot is capable of much more destruction.
post #38 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post
These films don't need any more people with gravely speaking voices. Bale has ruined that for everyone.
You realize Tom Hardy is already in this movie, right?
post #39 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post
You realize Tom Hardy is already in this movie, right?
Yes. The issue is it doesn't need to be front and center to the point of distraction like Bale.
post #40 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post
I'm sure multi-tasking on a message board won't be much of an issue, Bluelouboyle.
It's not that. Just that if everyone's posting in this thread all the time - which judging by the number of posts so far is quite likely -
it will be the only movie which is shown in the 'focused film discussion' or 'now talking' section of the main CHUD page. It will be harder to start or continue discussions of other movies because people won't know they are being discussed.
post #41 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post
Yes. The issue is it doesn't need to be front and center to the point of distraction like Bale.
Who said anything about it being front and center? I'm just saying he has a naturally gravely voice which would suit a character like Killer Croc. That's it.
post #42 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post
It's not that. Just that if everyone's posting in this thread all the time - which judging by the number of posts so far is quite likely -
it will be the only movie which is shown in the 'focused film discussion' or 'now talking' section of the main CHUD page. It will be harder to start or continue discussions of other movies because people won't know they are being discussed.
It feels like you're either underestimating the intelligence of the average Chewer or telling people what they should or shouldn't be talking about. I'm not a huge fan of either.
post #43 of 4801
Let it be, Lou. Paddling upstream is one thing, but this is Niagra Falls you're trying to salmon-jump here. This was always going to be a 50 pager, and the only thing more pointless than being mad about it is trying to stop it.
post #44 of 4801
Noomi Rapace would make an awesome Robin.
post #45 of 4801
I'd love it if they went a different route and had someone like Richard Jenkins or John Lithgow as The Clock King. But that's just because I think the Clock King is a hugely underrated character.

Dark Knight Rises? Meh title. Gets the point across, I guess. I was kinda digging the idea that they were going to have a different title for every entry, but sticking Rises on the end will do.
post #46 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
I'd love it if they went a different route and had someone like Richard Jenkins or John Lithgow as The Clock King. But that's just because I think the Clock King is a hugely underrated character.
Lithgow would be perfect if Schumacher were directing. A way over-the-top actor, total ham, and I don't think I've seen him be subtle since TERMS OF ENDEARMENT.

Agree with you on the Clock King. The Mad Hatter is another underrated villain, but he's just too out there for Nolan's brooding vision.
post #47 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naisu Baddi View Post
Isn't anyone else more interested in seeing new takes on characters they grew up watching in Batman cartoons and the '60s series? I'm surprised how many people are hoping for people like Black Mask or Hush. As someone who has never read the comics, I know nothing about them. Oddly enough, the first time I saw them was in the "Lego Batman" video game. Yes, I am childish. At least Deadshot was in "Justice League". And if you want brawling, I suggest Bane. Yeah, the steroid-like venom stuff is silly, but if written as an exceptionally intelligent guy who can both overpower Batman physically and use his intelligence to track him down, he might work.
Was starting to feel like a broken record with the Bane thing, good to hear I'm not the only one digging this. His costume in the comics is a little silly, but I think he's easily the most interesting of the "like Batman but evil" characters and even the venom could be done intelligently. Plus, if they stick to the comics and have him break all the nuts out of Arkham, you could have a few fun cameos while really piling on the crap for Batman.
post #48 of 4801
Wouldn't several villains be a possibility here? A single villain might feel slightly small after the Joker rampage and the Joker is probably the most theatrical as it is, but if part the point was escalation and the Joker inspiring people, then perhaps several villains could work. I think Inception was a good step in Nolan's overcomplicated plot clusterfucks, in the sense that it made its own convolutedness part of the experience itself and it might go from there.
Also, for all the talk about Deadshot, if his role was to publicly look like a new vigilante, he'd probably need someone high profile enough to get some press doing it.
post #49 of 4801
I would love to see Raz Al Ghul return since he was never actually shown to be dead in the first film. A post-Taken Liam Neeson going up against Batman again would be a real treat.
post #50 of 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorexic Starlet View Post
I would love to see Raz Al Ghul return since he was never actually shown to be dead in the first film.
You probably think Dent's still alive, too, don't you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Pre-Release Thread