or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › The 2012 Elections Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The 2012 Elections Thread - Page 34

post #1651 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post


 

Nobody probably asked until now.  It's so in the realm of TMI but Gingrich invites it every time he opens his mouth. 

 

Well according to Andrew Sullivan she kind of already said this (but I don't think most people where paying attention);

 

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/01/sorry-abc-news-this-is-not-a-scoop.html

 

 

Quote:

Sorry to break it to ABC News, but the facts of Newt Gingrich's request for an open marriage are not new. They were laid out in full in the brilliant profile of Gingrich by John H Richardson in Esquire last year. Money quote:

Early in May, she went out to Ohio for her mother's birthday. A day and a half went by and Newt didn't return her calls, which was strange. They always talked every day, often ten times a day, so she was frantic by the time he called to say he needed to talk to her.

"About what?"

He wanted to talk in person, he said.

"I said, 'No, we need to talk now.' "

He went quiet.

"There's somebody else, isn't there?"

She kind of guessed it, of course. Women usually do. But did she know the woman was in her apartment, eating off her plates, sleeping in her bed?

She called a minister they both trusted. He came over to the house the next day and worked with them the whole weekend, but Gingrich just kept saying she was a Jaguar and all he wanted was a Chevrolet. " 'I can't handle a Jaguar right now.' He said that many times. 'All I want is a Chevrolet.' "

He asked her to just tolerate the affair, an offer she refused.

My italics. We know this already. The interview is not a news story. It's a publicity stunt. And its timing and motives might even backfire in Newt's favor.

 

post #1652 of 10454


 

If it's close they can steal it.   Actually this news is a game changer as it shoots holes in the Romney inevitability narrative.   Also, I love that poll about FOX News viewers.   Another poll was put out saying that FOX News Viewers are less informed than people who don't watch news at all.   Scary times we live in folks!

post #1653 of 10454


I don't know about you guys, but my president needs to be prepared to handle a Jaguar all the time, no matter what circumstances. I do not want a "Chevrolet" President. Especially one that looks like a demonic, miniature Stay-Puffed Marsh-mellow Man.

post #1654 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post
Another poll was put out saying that FOX News Viewers are less informed than people who don't watch news at all.  


I don't doubt for a second that the FOX News audience is the most misinformed audience.  I mean, who needs a poll to tell you that right?

 

But that That poll kind of annoys me.  Plenty of people today don't watch TV news, but still get their news elsewhere.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a large proportion of those who don't watch the news at all, are in fact the MOST informed of all demographics.

 

post #1655 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

I don't know about you guys, but my president needs to be prepared to handle a Jaguar all the time, no matter what circumstances.

A really butch looking Teutonic jaguar handler should be the final boss of the presidential debates. Can we get one of Gunther Gebel-Williams' kids?
post #1656 of 10454

It was just thinking....whomever gets to be the GOP nominee (in this case, Newt)...I would like to envision the 2012 presidential race like the final "tablecloth" scene in the season 3 opening episode of "Justified"

...metaphorically speaking of course.

 

ObamaInCowboyHat.jpg

post #1657 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuddL View Post


I don't doubt for a second that the FOX News audience is the most misinformed audience.  I mean, who needs a poll to tell you that right?

 

But that That poll kind of annoys me.  Plenty of people today don't watch TV news, but still get their news elsewhere.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a large proportion of those who don't watch the news at all, are in fact the MOST informed of all demographics.

 


The polls may not be saying what we think they're saying.

 

post #1658 of 10454

 

 

I get the impression that when Newt gets together with his SuperPac paid friendship companions buddies to shoot the shit about woman, it goes a little something like this:

 

post #1659 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post



No lies are stronger than the ones we tell ourselves.


     Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post



Fear of the other has always been our prime tribal motivator.



apropos of nothing, but have you ever considered becoming a writer for those little sayings they put inside soft drink bottle caps?

 

(opens a Sobe)

 

IN A REAL DARK NIGHT OF THE SOUL, IT IS ALWAYS THREE O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING

post #1660 of 10454

Newt may want an open marriage, but who the fuck wants to fuck Newt?  Takes two to tango.

 

I'm still not unconvinced that Callista is NOT animatronic real doll.

 

ETA: damn double negatives.


Edited by Spook - 1/19/12 at 11:55am
post #1661 of 10454
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I'm still not unconvinced that Callista is an animatronic real doll.

 

6a00d83451c45669e20147e06c7c12970b-550wi

post #1662 of 10454

Yall need to be reading Peteykin's: http://sparklepony.blogspot.com/

 

CallistaGingrich010311.jpg

 

Callista Noir.

post #1663 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Yall need to be reading Peteykin's: http://sparklepony.blogspot.com/

 

CallistaGingrich010311.jpg

 

Callista Noir.


Bless you for bringing this blog into my life.

 

post #1664 of 10454

Newt Gingrich is like a living uncanny valley.   The more human he tries to look, the less human he looks....

 

CallistaGingrich010812a.jpg

 

See: Newt tries out crying.

 

 

post #1665 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCE View Post

 

6a00d83451c45669e20147e06c7c12970b-550wi


 

"Like a rock..."

 

or

Unlike Newt's Campaign, Chevy Runs Deep.

post #1666 of 10454

Although a couple weeks old, still contains spoilers for folks who want to enjoy the fun and exciting GOP primary journey:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Doesn't matter much who wins the nomination! The GOP is already designing the general election campaign

 

The party's shaping the candidate, whoever gets there; none of these feckless thugs are shaping the party. Obama's going to eat [his] lunch and make [him] thank the President for the honor.

 

 

 

post #1667 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post

Newt may want an open marriage, but who the fuck wants to fuck Newt?  Takes two to tango.

 

.

 

 


Worst. Sex tape. Ever!
 

 

post #1668 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Worst. Sex tape. Ever!
 

 

the true definition of "torture porn"

post #1669 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post

NPR talked to this lady and her two small children who drove out from Lubbock, TX, to work on Gingrich's campaign.  I can't imagine what would inspire a seemingly normal woman to haul up and drive her kids across the country to Iowa and then South Carolina to try to put him in the White House.  When asked about his infidelities, she called it a "redemption story."  She wants to believe so badly that she was in tears talking about him.  I can only think some people are just so freaked out by Obama they're in full delusional mode.  Bizarre. 



Nope, having grown up in South Carolina, I can tell you that the whole idea of the "Redemption Story" is key to Fundamentalists. That's why they loved W, could support weirdos like Tammy Bakker, etc.
The idea that you can be be totally depraved yet still be saved by the grace of Jesus Christ is a core belief, and it gets reaffirmed every time someone like Newt (yes even if he's a Catholic, he still believes in God, not like those Jew-Arab Communists!) comes out and says "yes I've sinned but NOW I'M RIGHT WITH THE LORD!"

post #1670 of 10454
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

 

Nope, having grown up in South Carolina, I can tell you that the whole idea of the "Redemption Story" is key to Fundamentalists. That's why they loved W, could support weirdos like Tammy Bakker, etc.

The idea that you can be be totally depraved yet still be saved by the grace of Jesus Christ is a core belief, and it gets reaffirmed every time someone like Newt (yes even if he's a Catholic, he still believes in God, not like those Jew-Arab Communists!) comes out and says "yes I've sinned but NOW I'M RIGHT WITH THE LORD!"


Fascinating.  And he's playing it exactly right, saying it in almost those exact words.

 

Meanwhile, so, does anyone else think Ron Paul probably won Iowa and that's why the state GOP essentially committed what's looking more and more like pure election fraud?

 

post #1671 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post


Meanwhile, so, does anyone else think Ron Paul probably won Iowa and that's why the state GOP essentially committed what's looking more and more like pure election fraud?

As I mellow in my advancing age, I'm increasingly reluctant to attribute to malice what incompetence can accomplish. It's my understanding that Iowa uses paper ballots rather than Diebold's notorious electronic voting booths, and I hold it within the realm of possibility that it took this long for the Iowans to count the damn things.

Regarding Gingrich, the coke-sniffing Bush before him, and the forgiveness both have received: The aspect of Republican tribalism that I find most fascinating is just how vituperative they still get when it comes to the competition from within the tribe. Maybe familiarity really does breed contempt.

I expect someone like me to boo Rick Santorum, for example. Today, though, the poor little stooge couldn't get a break at a pro-life convention from Ron Paul supporters, who accused him of faking his commitment to imposing government regulations on our nation's fallopian tubes. Try to figure that shit out. The poor bastard has spent years building a career out of threatening to regulate other people's sex lives, he has ruined his own family name in the process, and there are conservatives who still doubt his sincerity. That it's the Ronulans calling for more federal government intrusion in the bedroom makes me want to shove a cigarette in each nostril and light them both.

The story of this election is going to be the fracturing of a party that already defined itself by its interest in excluding and marginalizing people.
Edited by Reasor - 1/19/12 at 3:07pm
post #1672 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasor View Post


As I mellow in my advancing age, I'm increasingly reluctant to attribute to malice what incompetence can accomplish. It's my understanding that Iowa uses paper ballots rather than Diebold's notorious electronic voting booths, and I hold it within the realm of possibility that it took this long for the Iowans to count the damn things.


Yeah, but according to the Des Moines Register, there are several precincts whose votes are lost and will never be recovered. 
And the story about the lady who supposedly slept through turning in her vote count is not true, although Wolf Blitzer blissfully ignored her statement about having already turned them in as he interviewed her on that crapfest CNN.  Something's rotten in Denmark. 

 

And the thing with Diebold and ES&S, you can hack those machines with like $8 worth of equipment you can buy at Radio Shack, so the fact that electronic voting is still legal in most states is staggering to me.  Even InkaVote is easily hackable. 

post #1673 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post

 

Meanwhile, so, does anyone else think Ron Paul probably won Iowa and that's why the state GOP essentially committed what's looking more and more like pure election fraud?

 



I'm basically with Reasor in that simple incompetence can outperform malfeasance 95% of the time, but I kind of wish this were the case.  It would be perversely hilarious if the GOP got busted stealing not an actual election, but a primary from their own selves.

post #1674 of 10454

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
I'm basically with Reasor in that simple incompetence can outperform malfeasance 95% of the time, but I kind of wish this were the case.  It would be perversely hilarious if the GOP got busted stealing not an actual election, but a primary from their own selves.


Even if it is simple incompetence, the fact that the rank and file GOP seem to be OK with that is pretty amazing. 

post #1675 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasor View Post
The aspect of Republican tribalism that I find most fascinating is just how vituperative they still get when it comes to the competition from within the tribe. Maybe familiarity really does breed contempt.

 

This current crop of GOP contenders are not that far removed a pack-hunter/alpha dominance/territorial mentality.

If it wasn't for the TV cameras, Newt probably would have walked over and peed all over the other nominees while growling menacingly at the same time.

post #1676 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRan View Post


This current crop of GOP contenders are not that far removed a pack-hunter/alpha dominance/territorial mentality.
If it wasn't for the TV cameras, Newt probably would have walked over and peed all over the other nominees while growling menacingly at the same time.

The mental pictures this thread has been producing lately kick the Spider-Cricket thread's ass.

Incredibly, these bastards are debating again tonight on CNN. The next debate after that will be on Monday, after the South Carolina vote has been tallied.

ETA: Holy shit, the new ad spot from the SuperPAC that isn't at all identified with Steven Colbert features images of mushroom clouds, testicle kicking, sausage making, and what I could have sworn were cameo appearances by Natalie Portman and David Otunga. This fucking campaign is like being chased down the sidewalk by a Dali painting.
post #1677 of 10454

The latest one is the one narrated by Samuel Jackson and its against Colbert. You've seen that one right?

post #1678 of 10454

I'm a stickler for punishment so I'm going to take a bullet for you guys and post some highlights.   I really encourage you to watch the debates though just because there's some crazy stuff that happens that never makes the highlights such as Ron Paul being booed for defending our justice system.

post #1679 of 10454

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post


The mental pictures this thread has been producing lately kick the Spider-Cricket thread's ass.
Incredibly, these bastards are debating again tonight on CNN. The next debate after that will be on Monday, after the South Carolina vote has been tallied.
ETA: Holy shit, the new ad spot from the SuperPAC that isn't at all identified with Steven Colbert features images of mushroom clouds, testicle kicking, sausage making, and what I could have sworn were cameo appearances by Natalie Portman and David Otunga. This fucking campaign is like being chased down the sidewalk by a Dali painting.

 

 

Maybe more like a Lynch film, Dali doesn't fill me with dread.  State of the Union Address next week should be interesting.

post #1680 of 10454

You guys gotta watch this debate on CNN. They opened it with a question to Newt on the scandal, and Newt went ballistic on the media and John King.

 

Favorite internet comment on this yet:

  Newt just ripped John King a new asshole and filled it with Santorum.

post #1681 of 10454

If Newt is elected, he would ask Sarah Palin to consider a "major role" in his administration.  She has talked favorably about him in the past and all but declared herself as an endorser. 

 

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2012/01/19/newt-wants-palin/#comments

post #1682 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

If Newt is elected, he would ask Sarah Palin to consider a "major role" in his administration.  She has talked favorably about him in the past and all but declared herself as an endorser. 

 

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2012/01/19/newt-wants-palin/#comments


Wife No 4?

 

post #1683 of 10454

I'm not the biggest fan of Santorum but he's kind of awesome tonight.

post #1684 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post

I'm not the biggest fan of Santorum but he's kind of awesome tonight.

 


Agreed. He's kicking ass. 

 

This crowd is ROWDY. 

 

ETA - Romney just told Newt that Ronald Reagan didn't like him. Fucking hilarious! 

post #1685 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitanAmerica View Post

You guys gotta watch this debate on CNN. They opened it with a question to Newt on the scandal, and Newt went ballistic on the media and John King.

 

Favorite internet comment on this yet:

  Newt just ripped John King a new asshole and filled it with Santorum.



Says the guy who made a moral mountain out of a mole hill during the Clinton years.  Clinton's unfaithfulness was no one's business but Clinton's and HRC's, but that sure didn't stop Newt from going at it for votes.

 

Also, John King looked like a fucking chump.  He should've stood up to Gingrich and told him that he's made his career by turning people's personal lives (the more lurid the better) into political issues, so he shouldn't be surprised that his own skeletons get to take a ride out of the closet when he's running for the highest office in the land.  It really was pathetic and a sad testament to the shitty network that CNN has become.

post #1686 of 10454

Seriously, how many fucking debates do you guys need. Hell we have a maximum of two when electing the prime minister of the country.

 

Is this just 24 hour media beast nonsense or has there always been this much complete overkill?

post #1687 of 10454

We like our candidates fuckin' exhausted, bloodied, and turned out, and that's before the primary is over! 

post #1688 of 10454

Not watching the debate, so what makes Santorum "kind of awesome" in it?  Are you saying that ironically due to the inanity of his statements?  No matter how well the guy performs in a debate against his fellow party members, I can't fathom how he could he perceived as any kind of awesome.  His positions and general insanity are still the same.

post #1689 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

Seriously, how many fucking debates do you guys need. Hell we have a maximum of two when electing the prime minister of the country.

 

Is this just 24 hour media beast nonsense or has there always been this much complete overkill?



This is just the primaries, so the GOP can have as many as it wants.  They make money on this--more gristle and red meat for the base to get it riled up and ready to donate.  Lord knows how many we'll have for President, but I think we'll have only a few.  Obama actually has work to do.

 

I'm also sure that the 24 hour news cycle is to blame here.

post #1690 of 10454

I like that all the GOP Nominees are against SOPA. So they've got one thing going for them. Oh except Santorum who wants to stop those Foreigners from pirating Teh Gay P0rn....

post #1691 of 10454

Nice to know the GOP candidates are against SOPA.   Broken clock and all that.   Meanwhile, the moderator is acting like mouthpiece for Time Warner.

 

Edit: And Santorum is not so awesome any more.

 

Actually knowing who supports SOPA and PIPA is depressing.   For instance, Al Franken is one of the sponsors of the bill.   I'm with the GOP on this one.

post #1692 of 10454

....let's see CNN is showing the GOP debate and "Alien" is on IFC....

 

I could either watch a story about endoparasitoids OR I could watch "Alien"...kind of a toss up.

 

 

Do I choose "xenomorph" or "xenophobia"?

post #1693 of 10454

Most Republicans have declared themselves against SOPA as currently presented, as have Democrats.  There are exceptions on both sides, though - Dodd and Lamar, notably.

post #1694 of 10454

Holy Shit! "Wut wud uuuuu do to protect us mericans' from them ILL-legal Aliens and make sure American Citizens get the jobs first".

 

Yeah I bet she's real worried her job as a Nuclear Physicist is in danger!

post #1695 of 10454

Hahah and Newt wants to outsource Guest Workers to American Express and Visa!

post #1696 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

Most Republicans have declared themselves against SOPA as currently presented, as have Democrats.  There are exceptions on both sides, though - Dodd and Lamar, notably.



Dodd doesn't count. He's formally an MPAA stooge now.

 

He's slimy as hell BTW;

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/19/exclusive-hollywood-lobbyist-threatens-to-cut-off-obama-2012-money-over-anti/

 

 

 

Quote:
"Candidly, those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake," Dodd told Fox News. "Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake."

 

post #1697 of 10454

OK liking Romney's message on Immigration.

post #1698 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post



This is just the primaries, so the GOP can have as many as it wants.  They make money on this--more gristle and red meat for the base to get it riled up and ready to donate.  Lord knows how many we'll have for President, but I think we'll have only a few.  Obama actually has work to do.

 

I'm also sure that the 24 hour news cycle is to blame here.


 

How much money is being wasted on all this shit at the end of the day? How long will Americans living out of cars or motel rooms or desperately scrambling for any kind of gainful employment put up with these disgusting, preening skeksis and their obscene parade of self-gratification?

 

Hell lets just have Trial By Stone and be done with it.

 

Skeksis-duel.jpg

post #1699 of 10454

Ron Paul fans in da house!   They just heckled John King to include Paul in the abortion debate.   That was awesome.

post #1700 of 10454
I adore how Paul brings every question back to his one answer.

"Repealing Roe vs. Wade is easy, all we have to do is get Congress to vote abandon their jurisdiction! Easy-peasy!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › The 2012 Elections Thread