or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › The 2012 Elections Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The 2012 Elections Thread - Page 54

post #2651 of 10454

Somebody should make a reel of the crazy things the GOP candidates have said at the debates.    The America these guys envision (especially Gingrich) make me nervous.

post #2652 of 10454
post #2653 of 10454

All of that may be true but that doesn't translate into a win for the Democrats.   One thing the GOP is good at is winning elections and I won't rest easy until after November 3.   We elected Bush twice after all.

post #2654 of 10454

Bush wasn't really elected the first time.

post #2655 of 10454

But it was close enough to steal.

post #2656 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post

All of that may be true but that doesn't translate into a win for the Democrats.   One thing the GOP is good at is winning elections and I won't rest easy until after November 3.   We elected Bush twice after all.



Plenty can happen between now and November, but I'm not going to worry until given cause.  The GOP field has only looked less electable as their primary wears on, and Obama has not yet begun to fight.

post #2657 of 10454
And even the second one is even questionable with all the thousands of "spoiled" votes in Ohio and New Mexico and voter suppression around the country against the minority population in 2004. You can make the case he didn't really win either election, legally.
post #2658 of 10454

At this point, I think that the GOP should just say "fuck it" and just go full on "EXTREME!!!"


At the GOP convention, they should have monster trucks, wrestling, and immigrant dunk tanks....Ted Nugent (in addition to other washed up balding metal stars) could play during the re-enactment of Jesus' crucifixion (the full on blood drenched "Passion of the Christ" version of course) and then the 4 remaining GOP candidates will enter "The Thunderdome" and have a fight to determine who will lead the GOP
(of note, RPaul and Newt may gang up as 'MasterBlaster' to fight Romney and Santorum)

 

c'mon...the jump to the above scenario wouldn't take much of a leap.... :)


Edited by VTRan - 2/26/12 at 11:07am
post #2659 of 10454

Also wasn't there some kind "terrorist threat" in Ohio that caused votes to be counted behind closed doors. Rolling Stone had a story about that the 2004 election may have been stolen too, but I don't remember all the details.

post #2660 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Dowd Ghastly Outdated Party

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/opinion/sunday/dowd-ghastly-outdated-party.html


heh....just perfect

 

"Santorum, whose name aptly comes from the same Latin root as sanctimonious..."

 

post #2661 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Also wasn't there some kind "terrorist threat" in Ohio that caused votes to be counted behind closed doors. Rolling Stone had a story about that the 2004 election may have been stolen too, but I don't remember all the details.

via commondreams.org


Was the 2004 Election Stolen?
Republicans prevented more than 350,000 voters in Ohio from casting ballots or having their votes counted -- enough to have put John Kerry in the White House.

 

just wait...unless something is done to negate it, the conservative push to disenfranchise voters by enacting Voter ID laws...under the false pretense that there is rampant voter fraud that requires it...has just started. The concentration of the GOP is to control state legislatures which will then allow them to push for more and more "strict" voting regulations.

post #2662 of 10454

Congrats, Obama.

post #2663 of 10454

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/26/santorum-church-and-state_n_1302246.html?

 

Define irony.  How often has Santorum uttered the phrase "founding fathers" so far in the past year?

 

 

 

Quote:
"I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state are absolute," he told 'This Week' host George Stephanopoulos. "The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country...to say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes me want to throw up."

 

post #2664 of 10454

"The clergy, by getting themselves established by law and ingrafted into the machine of government, have been a very formidable engine against the civil and religious rights of man . They believe that any portion of power confided to me [as President] will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion."

 

Thomas Jefferson, 1800

post #2665 of 10454

Santorum: "But Jefferson had slaves!  Doesn't that make you wanna throw up, you racists???"

post #2666 of 10454

I wasn't sure where to post this but since we're already on the subject of Rick Santorum, this seemed somewhat apt:

Quote:

U.S. Marine Kissing His Boyfriend: Homecoming Photo Goes Viral (PHOTO)

USMC-KISS.jpg

story link

 

This is the America I wanna live in. Semper Fi, fellas.

post #2667 of 10454

Those monsters! Look at that depravity! Truly the most atrocious behavior.

 

How the fuck could anyone see this and instead of smiling, start freaking out? How can you be so busted inside?

post #2668 of 10454

Behind the numerous Bible quotes and talk of the fabric of America and all that shit, it really boils down to an "eeewww GAY!" middle school mentality. 

post #2669 of 10454

If you go outside and are really quiet and listen, you'll be able to hear Marcus Bachmann giggling and clapping his hands together.

 

That other sound that you might hear is that of the veins in many republicans heads straining to burst due to the intense homophobia that is at their core.

 

post #2670 of 10454

The Marine's boyfriend is huge. I would love to see someone try to break out a protest banner on them, just to watch the ass whopping that would fall.

post #2671 of 10454

I want to caption that 'Go ahead. Say 'gay' like it's a bad thing to their faces. I'll wait.'

post #2672 of 10454

So  Santorum called Obama a snob because he (Obama) is urging people to go to collage, and wants to help them pay for it. Also that Obama wants kids to go to collage so they can be brainwashed by Liberal Professors into voting for Obama! "He wants to remake you in his image!".

 

Meanwhile, Republican legislators in several states want to require anyone applying for unemployment benefits to 1) have at least a GED 2) take a drug test.

 

So this is the America the current GOP evidently wants: don't get an education because it will corrupt you, then when you cannot get work you will be considered a de facto criminal.

post #2673 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Santorum: "But Jefferson had slaves!  Doesn't that make you wanna throw up, you racists???"


Pretty soon we'll be hearing conservatives rail against the new threat of "Activist Founding Fathers".

post #2674 of 10454

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

...

 

So this is the America the current GOP evidently wants: don't get an education because it will corrupt you, then when you cannot get work you will be considered a de facto criminal.

 

 


Those private prisons aren't going to fill themselves!

 

Santorum's Meet the Press interview gave me the howling fantods.

 

post #2675 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post


Pretty soon we'll be hearing conservatives rail against the new threat of "Activist Founding Fathers".



This current group of conservatives would have sided with the British during the American Revolution.

post #2676 of 10454
post #2677 of 10454

A friend linked to this nice little picture.

 

obama-500.jpg

 

Which is precisely what should be said.

post #2678 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Shaver View Post

http://thedailywh.at/2012/02/27/president-of-the-day/


If this nightmare post-apocalyptic scenario happens than I feel all the blue states should pull a South Carolina and secede from the union!
post #2679 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo RJ View Post

If this nightmare post-apocalyptic scenario happens than I feel all the blue states should pull a South Carolina and secede from the union!


Make way for the 2nd American Civil War! Hundreds of thousands of Americans will perish & a once mighty nation will crumble all because gays are "icky" & the President is brown (thereby perpetually suspect of criminal behaviour).

 

post #2680 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Shaver View Post

http://thedailywh.at/2012/02/27/president-of-the-day/


I call some serious bullshit on that poll...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-02-23/swing-states-health-care-obama/53260222/1

 

go look at the details for the numbers...just over 1100 people on one poll and 800 on another with a +/- 4% error margin.

 

I am starting to think that any poll with less than....let's say, at the minimum- 5000 people (should be closer to 10,000)...shouldn't be considered valid and dismissed.

 

 

post #2681 of 10454

As a TN resident, I'm looking forward to voting in the primary on Super Tuesday. The only question I have is whether to vote for Santorum or Gingrich. I'd like to drag this contest out further and think that Santorum would help drag out the process. Newt is so poisonous that I'd love for him to gain the nomination.

 

Decisions...decisions

post #2682 of 10454

Even taking the poll at face value, if you can't beat a hypothetical opponent by more than 3 points when you're the only one who has been campaigning, you're not doing such a good job of it.

post #2683 of 10454
Thread Starter 

There's a relatively easy solution to all of this angst about Health Care Reform: Make it work better and cheaper as was promised by the Dems when they shoved it through Congress. If it does work as advertised, the hatred will begin to dissapate. However, should it become one giant FUBAR of a goverment bureaucracy as the Tea Party and Republicans have been screaming about all this time, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war, In the meantime, nothing is going tto improve regarding the chasm between the two sides of the issue. I know the Republican candidates are campaigning on the idea that they will repeal Obamacare on day one. That's not going to happen, of course. 

 

I'm coming around to the idea of single payer if it can be done better than what we have now. I can hear some of you saying how can it be worse? Anytime the government gets involved, you can get the worst possible result. After all, governments  take the lowest bidder on contracts...that is, if they allow bids to go out at all.

post #2684 of 10454

The only way that single-payer system will become a reality is at the state level. There's no way a Federal mandate for the public option will get through the House & Senate in an effective, functional form. Hopefully, we'll see different models get voted in & adopted by individual states in the future but there's gonna be a long period of experimentation before we come to a national standard.

post #2685 of 10454

Republicans have stated quite openly that they want to sabotage government health care in any way possible, because "otherwise people might decide they like it."

 

The only way it's going to happen is with either overwhelming Democratic control of the House and Senate (and even then, they have to be left-wing Democrats). The fact that, as I understand it, much of the benefit from Obamacare isn't going to kick in for the average person until 2014 is a painful concession to the Republicans that allows them to demonize it well into Obama's second term. Up until then, it'll be an insubstantial boogieman for most people. When people start actually getting sick and discovering that some of their medical expenses are paid for, and the economy doesn't collapse and dogs and cats don't start getting gay married, the boogieman will vanish, but you have to get to that point first.

post #2686 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Closer View Post
"I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state are absolute," he told 'This Week' host George Stephanopoulos. "The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country...to say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes me want to throw up."

 

 


Awesome twitter quip: "Apparently Rick Santorum has a very delicate Constitution."

 

post #2687 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post


Make way for the 2nd American Civil War! Hundreds of thousands of Americans will perish & a once mighty nation will crumble all because gays are "icky" & the President is brown (thereby perpetually suspect of criminal behaviour).

 


Would women's rights vs. "religious freedom" be the new slavery vs. abolition or I guess gay rights have to be thrown in there as well......god this sad that Santorum and the Tea Party theocrats put this debate in my mind. Jeez is this 2012 or 1012!
post #2688 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Closer View Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/26/santorum-church-and-state_n_1302246.html?

 

Define irony.  How often has Santorum uttered the phrase "founding fathers" so far in the past year?

 

 

 

 



So, Santorum doesn't believe in in an America where the separation between church and state is absolute? Let him puke all he wants. I believe in America because the separation of church and state is absolute. 

Also, not trolling, but Snaieke, if Santorum actually manages to the candidate, how do you plan to vote? Is he your guy? You'd take him over Obama? I'd assume it'd have to be because of his economic policy, right? And nothing else? What kind of plan has he proposed that has you excited? Or is it just that he's "not Obama?"

post #2689 of 10454
Does Santorum even have an economic policy? Or are we just supposed to sell all the extra babies we have when there's no more contraception?
post #2690 of 10454

 I'm assuming he has some kind of trickle down policy. I have heard him say that he believes that government can't create jobs, but it can make the environment good for job creation.

post #2691 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Does Santorum even have an economic policy? Or are we just supposed to sell all the extra babies we have when there's no more contraception?


No GAYS + No MEXICANS x JESUS / No PLANNED PARENTHOOD = scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpeg

 

Duh.

post #2692 of 10454

Santorum's 3-Step Economic Plan:

 

1. No Gays

2. ???

3. Profit

post #2693 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

 I'm assuming he has some kind of trickle down policy.



Well we already know he's not big on condoms.

post #2694 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vivisector View Post

There's a relatively easy solution to all of this angst about Health Care Reform: Make it work better and cheaper as was promised by the Dems when they shoved it through Congress. If it does work as advertised, the hatred will begin to dissapate. However, should it become one giant FUBAR of a goverment bureaucracy as the Tea Party and Republicans have been screaming about all this time, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war, In the meantime, nothing is going tto improve regarding the chasm between the two sides of the issue. I know the Republican candidates are campaigning on the idea that they will repeal Obamacare on day one. That's not going to happen, of course. 

 

I'm coming around to the idea of single payer if it can be done better than what we have now. I can hear some of you saying how can it be worse? Anytime the government gets involved, you can get the worst possible result. After all, governments  take the lowest bidder on contracts...that is, if they allow bids to go out at all.

 

This has probably been around the block a few times already in this forum and I don't want to derail.  My education of US health care is also basically the sum of this show and this show so make of that what you will.  Still, the peculiar hole US health care has dug itself into seems like it's going to take quite a lot to undo.  There's no national health care system in the works as with Australia and the UK but those took over a decade to set up (longer for the NHS) and were arguably broke bureaucratic disasters at various points in their histories.  And that's without the same amount of bloody minded idealogical opposition to the whole idea at every step of the way.  I'm thinking it's not going to be one term problem.  It's probably not even a one President problem.
 

 

post #2695 of 10454

That quote about separation of church and state making him throw up just made it click for me: Santorum is Tobias Funke. Which is a problem, because I'd totally vote for the nation's first-ever analrapist.

post #2696 of 10454

Don't worry, Santorum is actually totally for seperation of church and state:
 

 

Quote:
"I'm for separation of church and state: The state has no business telling the church what to do," the former Pennsylvania senator told about 300 local business leaders at the Livonia and Farmington chambers of commerce breakfast.

 

 

post #2697 of 10454

Obama is a SELFISH c...ountry music loving man. Oh, hi America!"

post #2698 of 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post


Obama is a SELFISH c...ountry music loving man. Oh, hi America!"




 

 



YOU'RE TEARING THIS COUNTRY APART OBAMA!

Paraphrased from Rick Santorum and Tommy Wiseau.
post #2699 of 10454

Rick Santorum wants to "Operation Chaos" the Michigan Primary!

 

 

"Hey you know I called the president a snob for wanting kids to get a college education, said that you can't be liberal and call yourself a Christian, and you guys make me want to puke but can you come out today and vote for me anyway?   Thanks!"

 

All kidding aside, if I lived in Michigan, I would definitely go vote in the primary for Santorum just to see this thing go on until the convention...

post #2700 of 10454

saw this posted on another forum I frequent....good for a chuckle.

 

http://fuckthesouth.com/

 

and here are some 'responses' to the rant on another site

http://keithdevens.com/weblog/archive/2004/Nov/13/dont-fuck-the-south

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › The 2012 Elections Thread