CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › Movies that you genuinely like that everyone else hates
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Movies that you genuinely like that everyone else hates - Page 4

post #151 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Marshall View Post

I enjoyed laughing at The Happening, it's a glorious comedy. 

I laughed quite a bit while watching the movie but I felt a bit guilty once it was over, feeling like I just finished making fun of some mentally handicapped kid. It's just so, so stupid. And Wahlberg is trying so hard to be sincere with that silly whiny voice of his. I feel embarrassed for everyone involved.

 

I still partly like Mortal Kombat. It's a pretty bad movie but I find the cheesy special effects and poor acting (I find Christopher Lambert's awful acting very watchable for some reason) sort of charming.

post #152 of 201

Mortal Kombat was extremely watchable, especially if you had the misfortune of seeing the sequel.

post #153 of 201

I also find myself unable to change the channel when Prince of Persia comes on. I just really, really like it.

post #154 of 201

A Man Apart.  Yeah, I like Vin, sue me.  I have almost all his films.  Knockaround Guys, Boiler Room, XXX, Pitch Black, etc.  I think he's movies are fun. 

post #155 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post

A Man Apart.  Yeah, I like Vin, sue me.  I have almost all his films.  Knockaround Guys, Boiler Room, XXX, Pitch Black, etc.  I think he's movies are fun. 


Nothing wrong with liking Vin. The guy oozes charisma. Plus he seems pretty level headed and a genuinely nice guy. The Fast & Furious flicks have gotten better since his return. This latest one looks to be the best yet. Can't wait.

 

post #156 of 201

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. There, I said it. Im a massive Indiana jones fan and I really enjoyed it, and Im proud to say so!


 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pray-For-Dawn/114082155312091

post #157 of 201

I may have defended it in another thread. I may have even defended it in this thread. But another thread reminded me of the Coens' Ladykillers remake, which, while not on par with the original, has some deep pleasures for me, including Tom Hanks' hilarious-to-me I-love-hearing-myself-talk performance, and the bit in the donut shop ("GET YOUR FINGERS OUT MY MAN'S NOSE," which always makes me laugh like an idiot).

post #158 of 201



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post

I may have defended it in another thread. I may have even defended it in this thread. But another thread reminded me of the Coens' Ladykillers remake, which, while not on par with the original, has some deep pleasures for me, including Tom Hanks' hilarious-to-me I-love-hearing-myself-talk performance, and the bit in the donut shop ("GET YOUR FINGERS OUT MY MAN'S NOSE," which always makes me laugh like an idiot).



I second this. I avoided watching this for so long because of all the negative things written about it, but once I got around to it I really enjoyed it. The first-person football scene alone makes it worth watching. Also the great music cues.

post #159 of 201

Maybe I should give this movie another chance.  I remember it being a big disappointment at the time it was released.  I know I liked Tom Hanks, and there was a scene when they dropped someone off a bridge onto a barge that was absolutely Coen Brothers in every way.  I could have sworn that years ago, I read that this movie and Intolerable Cruelty were not completely Coen.  I thought I understood both movies started with one director, but the Coens came in and finished.  Did I misunderstand or get misinformation?

post #160 of 201

My understanding was that INTOLERABLE was the only film they directed which they did not write. Could be wrong, though.

post #161 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

My understanding was that INTOLERABLE was the only film they directed which they did not write. Could be wrong, though.


Incorrect. They wrote it originally with the intention for someone else to direct it.

post #162 of 201

I also have a thing for Vanhelsing. And to be honest, nearly all of Steve Sommers films, I love ALL the Mummy films, GI Joe, Deep Rising (of course). So yeah, Vanhelsing is pretty cool :)


 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pray-For-Dawn/114082155312091

post #163 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post


Incorrect. They wrote it originally with the intention for someone else to direct it.


Ahh. Thanks for the correction. Had it reversed.

 

post #164 of 201

I bet I've got everybody beat with BATTLEFIELD EARTH.  I wouldn't expend too much energy with what would surely turn out to be a futile effort to defend the film.  It's got it's problems, many of which have been thoroughly covered in the forum.  It's source material is honestly nothing to write home about (no pun intended).  And having been to one it's churches in the city, I can attest to the frightening sheer lunacy of whole Scientology racket that Travolta got this film made on behalf of.

 

Maybe it's me fondness for Kim Coates, my anthropological curiosity piqued by the vaguely intriguing (yet barely explored) idea of how humans reduced to scattered, late stone age levels would develop (ha ha I know what you're thinking...What the fuck!?) or Barry Pepper's earnest performance, I can't pin it down.  But something about it made me cough up the 4 bucks for the used dvd at GameStop.

 

And yes, the dutch angles eventually become infuriating.

 

(ps I get a kick out of the corporate structure of the alien occupation and it's less than subtle parallels to the German occupation of eastern Europe.)

post #165 of 201

I've weighed in on Intolerable Cruelty before, and I stand by it.  If anyone else made it, it would be a cult classic.


 

post #166 of 201

Nice to see the support for Memoirs of an Invisible Man. I think it's maligned because people often come to it with preconceived notions about both Carperter and Chase.

 

Most of the films I'd mention are more unseen than hated. To continue in the Tom Hanks vein, The Money Pit and The Man With One Red Shoe are eminently rewatchable but never have gotten respect.

post #167 of 201

The Money Pit is great. I consider it underrated and it probably got blasted mostly because of Spielberg's involvement promising something "more."

 

It has lots of great stuff throughout.

 

Alexander Godunov and his hilarious portrait.

 

Philip Bosco and his "two weeks."

 

That scene where the bathtub falls through the floor and Tom Hanks starts laughing is one of the funniest things of the 80s. Ditto his hilarious ballet through the renovation of his house.

 

I really wish Hanks would do another comedy. And not some Meg Ryan romcom... A real one. Like the ones he used to make in the 80s. Do people even remember what a gifted comedian he actually is?

post #168 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post

The Money Pit is great. I consider it underrated and it probably got blasted mostly because of Spielberg's involvement promising something "more."

 

It has lots of great stuff throughout.

 

Alexander Godunov and his hilarious portrait.

 

Philip Bosco and his "two weeks."

 

That scene where the bathtub falls through the floor and Tom Hanks starts laughing is one of the funniest things of the 80s. Ditto his hilarious ballet through the renovation of his house.

 

I really wish Hanks would do another comedy. And not some Meg Ryan romcom... A real one. Like the ones he used to make in the 80s. Do people even remember what a gifted comedian he actually is?


Say what you will about the movie itself but in my opinion he's by far the best part about A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN.. it's great seeing Hanks play a likable drunken has-been..

 

post #169 of 201

Put me down for Skyline. I love the snot out of it. It works a meanspirited, fun B-movie alien invasion film with spectacular effects and drop-jopping set-pieces. Everyone else hates it? That fine by me, fine by me. I love it ever so...

 

post #170 of 201

Showgirls. I watched it on my own with no expectations whatsoever (not even knowing it was reviled until after I finished it), and thought it was a hilarious and intelligent satire. Being better acquainted with Verhoeven's early work than his later stuff (i.e., Turkish Delight and Soldier of Orange, not his Hollywood stuff) maybe I read more into it than most people did. But I still think it's a pretty entertainingly OTT nightmare version of All about Eve. It's bad, but it's hilariously and intentionally bad. Verhoeven may have directed some ridiculous films, but he's not an idiot. Just read his interviews, he's a really intelligent guy. He's got a degree in physics and wrote some kind of doctoral thesis on relativity. He didn't accidentally direct a piece of crap, he just misjudged his audience and made the film slightly too equivocal in its message.

 

 

I thought Todd Solondz's Palindromes, while nothing compared to his incredible film Happiness, was pretty good; most people didn't.

 

 

I also still like Payback (with Mel Gibson) a lot more than other people. It's no Point Blank (I think they're based on the same novel?) but people I know think it's awful. That could just be people reacting to Gibson though, who doesn't particularly bother me.

 

 

Wild at Heart deserves more love than it gets, there are better Lynch films but it's still a great film.

 

In terms of recent films, I thought Salt was pretty decent, but I don't know anyone else who liked it.

post #171 of 201

I am gonna throw in my love for Evolution.  I remember seeing it for the first time in the theater and being very underwhelmed.  In the years to follow, I have grown to love it.  It has hilarious character moments, some genuinely sharp writing (although it IS silly) and some great effects (which still look good).  Is it Ghostbusters?  No.  Is it basically the closest we will get to Ghostbusters 3?  In some ways, yes.  I have seen this movie at least a dozen times and it sucks Orlando didn't have much of a career because the dude is legitimately funny.

post #172 of 201

Tron Legacy (have argued at great lenth about this ont he official thread so not going to rehash)

 

Hulk - although I'm not sure everyone hates it.  I flat out love it.  I even think I understand the ending ;p

 

My guilty pleasure is Dude WHere's My Car?  And I HATE Ashton Kutcher but that film just cracks me up ("I wanna go on that ride", "me too son, me too")

post #173 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydgate View Post

In terms of recent films, I thought Salt was pretty decent, but I don't know anyone else who liked it.


 

Aside from the ridiculous premise & stone dumb script, it's a pretty well crafted action flick. Noyce really brought his A game to that one.

post #174 of 201

Gentlemen Broncos. I don't know what the popular consensus is for this, if it's hate or just indifference, but I quite like it. I watched it one night knowing nothing about it except who was in it and found it surprisingly funny and charming. Sam Rockwell's character and story was a treat to watch & Michael Angarano is as affable as ever.  Plus Jemaine Clement is in it, so what's not to like?

post #175 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post

The Money Pit is great. I consider it underrated and it probably got blasted mostly because of Spielberg's involvement promising something "more."

 

It has lots of great stuff throughout.

 

Alexander Godunov and his hilarious portrait.

 

Philip Bosco and his "two weeks."

 

That scene where the bathtub falls through the floor and Tom Hanks starts laughing is one of the funniest things of the 80s. Ditto his hilarious ballet through the renovation of his house.

 

I really wish Hanks would do another comedy. And not some Meg Ryan romcom... A real one. Like the ones he used to make in the 80s. Do people even remember what a gifted comedian he actually is?



this was on TV in NZ recently and I was surprised by how much I liked it.  The enrgy between Hanks and Long and their quick fire witty banter in front of the builders really reminded me of the Grant\Russel banter in His Girl Friday.  Plus there is some genuinely great slapstick.

 

Also recently caught Hanks in the Bachelor Party and damn if that didn;t make me bust a gut laughing too.

 

post #176 of 201

She's Out Of My League's plot about a nerdy guy dating a super-hot chick follows every standard rom-com cliche; however, every scene with Jay Baruchel's family and/or TJ Miller makes me love it.  Everytime I flip by it on HBO, I end up watching it until the end.  

I don't know if this movie qualifies as a movie that people hate but I've never talked to anybody else that likes it.

post #177 of 201

Enemy Mine - not sure if the consensus is hatred, but I've always had a soft spot for it.  Pretty convincing and intriguing story.  Great make-up.  Very ambitious and solidly directed by Petersen.

post #178 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandhay View Post

Gentlemen Broncos. I don't know what the popular consensus is for this, if it's hate or just indifference, but I quite like it. I watched it one night knowing nothing about it except who was in it and found it surprisingly funny and charming. Sam Rockwell's character and story was a treat to watch & Michael Angarano is as affable as ever.  Plus Jemaine Clement is in it, so what's not to like?



"Quite liked" sums it up for me too. Clement and Rockwell were delights and I've always found Jennifer Coolidge, who plays the main guy's mother, plenty entertaining.

post #179 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

My guilty pleasure is Dude WHere's My Car?  And I HATE Ashton Kutcher but that film just cracks me up ("I wanna go on that ride", "me too son, me too")


"AND....THEN??" I've a soft spot for it as well.

 

 

 

post #180 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundro View Post

Enemy Mine - not sure if the consensus is hatred, but I've always had a soft spot for it.  Pretty convincing and intriguing story.  Great make-up.  Very ambitious and solidly directed by Petersen.


I haven't seen this one in a while, but I'll second this. For a movie that's essentially The Defiant Ones In Space, it's a solid flick. I'd forgotten that Wolfgang Petersen directed it.

 

post #181 of 201

Is this a guilty pleasure thread?  For some it is semantics, but for me there is a difference between my guilty pleasures and movies that I would defend as quality even though the consensus is the opposite.  I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, so I am just asking.

post #182 of 201

25rgz1g.jpg

post #183 of 201

I'm scared to revisit Real Men. I remember it being cleverly written but really really cheap-looking.

post #184 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post

Is this a guilty pleasure thread?  For some it is semantics, but for me there is a difference between my guilty pleasures and movies that I would defend as quality even though the consensus is the opposite.  I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, so I am just asking.



It's a fair question. I feel no guilt in appreciating The Money Pit or Memoirs of an Invisible Man or even Oscar. They're good films that have just never gotten respect. I love Bachelor Party too, but any film you can't watch with your mom is definitely a guilty pleasure.

post #185 of 201

Hammerhead hit the nail ... on the head .... so to speak.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundro View Post

Enemy Mine - not sure if the consensus is hatred, but I've always had a soft spot for it.  Pretty convincing and intriguing story.  Great make-up.  Very ambitious and solidly directed by Petersen.

 

If this movie is widely hated, that would be news to me. And a shame. I think it's pretty great. It gets gooey at times but the emotions are still genuine.

 

You also get Brion James at his slimiest. Very fun to watch.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post
Also recently caught Hanks in the Bachelor Party and damn if that didn;t make me bust a gut laughing too.

 


Yeah... This is what I was getting at before. There was a time when Hanks was like a comedy king for me. I really wish he would make another comedy. And the sillier the better, really.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Mansleeve View Post

25rgz1g.jpg




HA HA HA HA HAAAA.... YESSS!!!

post #186 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Mansleeve View Post

25rgz1g.jpg


Haha, I was gonna mention this but I thought it might be too obscure.  

 

post #187 of 201

Yeah, Real Men is better suited to the "Movies You Genuinely Like That Everyone Else Has Forgotten" thread.

post #188 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

I've weighed in on Intolerable Cruelty before, and I stand by it.  If anyone else made it, it would be a cult classic.


 


Yep couldn't agree more. I still remember roaring with laughter throughout in the cinema on my first viewing - yep, laughed just as much as in Oh Brother Where Art Thou? and Burn After Reading. It's simply nowhere near the departure from the Coen norm people make it out to be.

 

Now Ladykillers on the other hand, that honestly watches for me like someone trying to do a homage to a Coen comedy - and not a great one - than an actual film by the brothers themselves.

 

post #189 of 201

Sorry to bring this topic back up. I do know some people really didn't like it, but a few more struck me recently.  Unbreakable, Frequency and K-PAX.  Unbreakable is the not only the sole movie I like by Shamalama, but holy hell I adore the movie to death.  Frequency is flawed - especially the end, but I think it's pretty sharply written and has some great pacing.  K-PAX, I find to be a legimiately great flick.  Good music, beautifully shot, interestingly written.  K-PAX is one of those underrated movies for me.  I think it deserves more love for the things I feel it does right - if at minimum the photography and music. *edited for being written more moronically than most of my posts*


Edited by wd40 - 8/3/11 at 1:53pm
post #190 of 201

I'd like to propose a moratorium on "Shamalama," "Shyamaladingdong," or any other snarky variations on "Shyamalan." Regardless of one's feelings about the man's films, it's puerile and racist, and worthy of AICN talkbackers.

post #191 of 201

How is making fun of someone's last name racist?  You could just as easily make of the last name "Smith".  I'll give you "puerile", however.

post #192 of 201

In any case, Shyamalan certainly gives you much meatier targets to go after than a name.  Being racist is one thing, but the laziness is the real killer.

post #193 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattioli View Post

How is making fun of someone's last name racist?  You could just as easily make of the last name "Smith". 



Except that people don't. Kevin Smith gets called everything from fatass to no-talent fuck, but nobody calls him Smithalithadingdong.

 

It's racist because the "joke" of it is that "Shyamalan" sounds funny. It sounds funny because it's foreign. I'm not calling you racist, but to ask that question reveals some white privilege* with bonus false equivalence. "Smith" =/= "Shyamalan."

 

*Note: if you ain't white, I apologize. Hard to tell from text.

post #194 of 201

I call Shamyalan Shamamalan in the same way I call the Wachowskis the Umschlowskis. It might be puerile, but it ain't racist.

post #195 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post





Except that people don't. Kevin Smith gets called everything from fatass to no-talent fuck, but nobody calls him Smithalithadingdong.

 

It's racist because the "joke" of it is that "Shyamalan" sounds funny. It sounds funny because it's foreign. I'm not calling you racist, but to ask that question reveals some white privilege* with bonus false equivalence. "Smith" =/= "Shyamalan."

 

*Note: if you ain't white, I apologize. Hard to tell from text.

 

Or because it's an easy gag based on the old song "Shama Lama Ding Dong" to which M. Knight's surname does bear an undeniable phoenetic resemblance.  It doesn't make it automatically racist.

 

...and I'm white, but as you may surmise from my user ID, my last name is ripe for parody.  Having an Italian heritage, I can't tell you the number of times supposed wits referred to me as "Ravioli".  I'd argue that shows more bigotry per se* than referring to M. Knight as "Shyamalamadingdong".  But whatever.  Just call me a bastion of white privilege. 'S fine.

 

 

 

 

*Per Se because I never had the sense that it came from a discriminatory base.
 

 

post #196 of 201

A hard day's M. Night.

post #197 of 201

Yeah I didn't say Shamalamacurryandrice.  As others mentioned, it not only sounds like Shama Lama Ding Dong, but I was also being lazy.  Not to mention, my laziness only reflects his laziness as a "film" maker.  However, congrats on indirectly, yet also directly calling me racist.  You are the first person to make that claim. :)

post #198 of 201

Just rewatched Revolutionary Road on cable. I still like this movie. Maybe it's too obvious and too on the nose, but it tackles it's subject material. I think the entire cast gave credible performances and Shannon is just a hell of a lot of fun in this. 

post #199 of 201
"Revolutionary Road" is almost a great film. It's still Winslet's best performance after "Eternal Sunshine..." and Michael Shannon is amazing in it. Love the cinematography in it, too, but it's Roger Deakins, so of course it's great.

Speaking of Deakins, a film I genuinely love that everyone not just hates, but utterly detest: "The Village". It's absolutely a case of the parts being better than the whole, but I still rewatch it every now and again and it's been getting better and better every time.
post #200 of 201

My enjoyment of 1941 has come up in numerous threads here, so instead I'll go with another massive, over-the-top flop made by an Oscar-winning director: Dick Tracy.

 

Yeah, yeah, there are definitely parts that are total pants. But goddamn, the stuff that works works like - forgive the pun - gangbusters. Vittorio Storaro's cinematography is just awesome (the color scheme!), as is Sylbert and Simpson's (justly-Oscar-winning) art direction. It's got some good Sondheim numbers, and the supporting cast (headed by Pacino's gloriously hammy Big Boy Caprice) is just a treat.

 

All right, that's enough! I want 'em dead, both of 'em. I want this no-face character dead and I want Tracy dead. What's the matter, you bums forgot how to kill people? Doesn't your work mean anything to you anymore? Have you no sense of pride in what you do? No sense of DUTY, no sense of DESTINY?! I'm looking for generals; what do I got?! FOOT SOLDIERS! I WANT DICK TRACY DEAD!

 

Now that's some Grade-A comic book villainy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Movie Miscellany
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › Movies that you genuinely like that everyone else hates