or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Pre-Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Pre-Release Thread - Page 6

post #251 of 1142

This interview with Andrew Garfield makes me want to punch this movie in the balls.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/andrew-garfield-talks-the-amazing-spider-man-s-peter-parker

 


On the chip-on-his-shoulder Peter Parker, Garfield said: ““He’s a lone wolf… Erratic, angry, rebellious.”
 
So, is the new Parker, who fights back against the bullies, not so much of a nerd, then?
 
“It’s cool to be a nerd now,” The Social Network actor told us. “Peter is an outsider. Because that’s what he has to do to protect himself. He was dropped once; he doesn’t want to be dropped again. It’s difficult to get close to him.”
 
“I plastered my walls with page after page of artwork and spent hours trying to get my body as extreme as possible. “I didn’t want to be a bulky guy. I wanted to be a skinny kid beating the crap out of big guys.”

 

post #252 of 1142

I don't know, Spider-man in a 21 Jump Street high school world?  I could go with that.

post #253 of 1142

Christ we've gone from origin movies to origin trilogies now??? You couldn't make this shit up.

 

This ridiculousness, the retarded Vista handheld, their consumer electronics losing their reputation as market leaders - seriously, what the fuck is going on over at Sony these days???

post #254 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCE View Post

This interview with Andrew Garfield makes me want to punch this movie in the balls.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/andrew-garfield-talks-the-amazing-spider-man-s-peter-parker

 

 


 

Peter: There's a lotta things about me you don't know anything about, Gwen. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.

 

Gwen: I don't understand.

 

Peter: You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Gwen. A rebel. So long, Gwen.

post #255 of 1142

Peter: You know how people have... different sides to their personality? Sometimes a person will have to actually lead a different life.

 

Gwen: Oh my god your gay.

 

Peter: No, I'm not gay. Y'see, my life is really... complex. All right, listen. You know how a normal person gets up and goes downstairs and eats breakfast and kisses somebody good-bye, and goes to a job, and, you know? Look, what I'm trying to tell you is...

 

Gwen: Hey, it's okay. You can tell me.

 

Peter: What I'm trying to tell you is...

post #256 of 1142

God, the writing for this film... just reading it makes me groan... ha ha

post #257 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBaseNick View Post

God, the writing for this film... just reading it makes me groan... ha ha

 

You tricked me... with writing so hackneyed it'd make Stan Lee blush

 

ComicBookGuy5.gif

post #258 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

Peter: You know how people have... different sides to their personality? Sometimes a person will have to actually lead a different life.

 

Gwen: Oh my god your gay.

 

Peter: No, I'm not gay. Y'see, my life is really... complex. All right, listen. You know how a normal person gets up and goes downstairs and eats breakfast and kisses somebody good-bye, and goes to a job, and, you know? Look, what I'm trying to tell you is...

 

Gwen: Hey, it's okay. You can tell me.

 

Peter: What I'm trying to tell you is...

 

This is like the Kick-Ass comic book.
 

 

post #259 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoolong View Post

This is like the Kick-Ass comic book.
 


Holy shit, i skimmed through the latest issue of "Kick Ass 2" at work today, and it was beyond horrible; Hell, now that I think about it, Mark Millar's "original" works (kick ass, wanted, superior and nemesis) are probably on the top five list of the worst things i've ever read in my life.

 

post #260 of 1142

He has good ideas that somebody needs to fix.

post #261 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoolong View Post

 

This is like the Kick-Ass comic book.
 

 



Didn't pick it?

post #262 of 1142

What?

post #263 of 1142
One of the Batman movies. I'm too tired to remember what one
post #264 of 1142

First one.  I remember now.

post #265 of 1142

It sounds a lot better when Michael Keaton is saying it though.

post #266 of 1142

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix View Post

It sounds a lot better when Michael Keaton is saying it though.


87% of all movie dialogue does. AS A MATTER OF FACT.

 

post #267 of 1142

In all seriousness tho, where the hells Keatons Bill Murray-style renaissance where we're all reminded how fucking awesome he is? Where's his Albert-Brooks-in-Drive role that makes everyone sit up and remember the dudes epic talent?

post #268 of 1142

I'd rep ya if I had  any left, RD.

post #269 of 1142

Uncle Ben changes shifts and dies in an industrial accident? Is Spider-Man going to swear to fight the evils of a poor job market and the lack of safety regulations?

 

post #270 of 1142

It's not even changing the circumstances that really irk me, it's that it's obviously being changed just to say that they're different from Raimi's take while at the same time missing what it was about Peter's wrestling match that drove his guilt. Uncle Ben didn't die because Peter went somewhere he shouldn't; it was because he had a chance to do the right thing and didn't. 

post #271 of 1142

 

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Uncle Ben changes shifts and dies in an industrial accident? Is Spider-Man going to swear to fight the evils of a poor job market and the lack of safety regulations?


I... would actually go see that movie. But then, I think that's supposed to be Green Arrow's domain.

post #272 of 1142

The Amazing Unionist?

post #273 of 1142

Again, I would watch that.

post #274 of 1142

I'm seriously starting to think I should sit this one out and just wait for the reboot in 2022.

post #275 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

In all seriousness tho, where the hells Keatons Bill Murray-style renaissance where we're all reminded how fucking awesome he is? Where's his Albert-Brooks-in-Drive role that makes everyone sit up and remember the dudes epic talent?


He was the best part of The Other Guys and we've got Beetlejuice 2 coming. Hopefully My Life Too is not far behind.
 

 

post #276 of 1142

You know...they could retcon Normon Osborn into being a teabagger.

post #277 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Uncle Ben changes shifts and dies in an industrial accident? Is Spider-Man going to swear to fight the evils of a poor job market and the lack of safety regulations?

 



Isn't this the same lame reveal of SUPER 8?

post #278 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

 Hopefully My Life Too is not far behind.
 

 



Where he gives advice via "force ghost" to his child...I'll watch that.

post #279 of 1142

The trailer did make me want to see this. I thought once the origin story is done, it could be a good movie. Now that I know about how convoluted Uncle Ben's death is going to be, I can wait till Redbox.


Edited by Chaz - 4/16/12 at 10:31pm
post #280 of 1142

In the international trailer, Parker has the line "I created him, it's my responsibility to stop him."  w.r.t The Lizard.  That's a new thing, right?

post #281 of 1142

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

In the international trailer, Parker has the line "I created him, it's my responsibility to stop him."  w.r.t The Lizard.  That's a new thing, right?

 

Look how nobody cares if it is or isn't! lol

post #282 of 1142

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

Christ we've gone from origin movies to origin trilogies now??? You couldn't make this shit up.

 

This ridiculousness, the retarded Vista handheld, their consumer electronics losing their reputation as market leaders - seriously, what the fuck is going on over at Sony these days???

 

I'm a bit late to the party, but I suspect the reason Hollywood is so obsessed with beating origin stories into people's heads these days is, it's just another item on their checklist of how not to offend the audience.  Everything has to be explained and given some kind of motivation, because they make movies for people with the lowest standards.  People who are so stupid and lazy that they don't understand and even outright reject ambiguity in cinema.  Hollywood caters to those people, they make these movies FOR THOSE PEOPLE.  They don't make these movies for people on chud, or for people who like transgressive cinema for instance.  Raimi, Nolan and Favreau do a god job within those confines, but there is still a distinct lack of bravery in these tent pole flicks and you end up getting stupid shit like the origin being part of the trilogy and having to shine a spotlight on every little motivation.  It's part of this problem of not trusting a comic book character to just be a comic book character that wears its camp and goofiness on its sleeve without apologizing for it with needless rooting in reality.  It can't be the "batmobile"...it has to be the "tumbler".  And I'm not talking about making comic book movies like the Schumacher abortions, I'm talking about something like Blade...a film I feel really nailed the tone, and had a great balance of camp and seriousness without having to shoehorn motivation into everything, and make excuses for being a comic book movie.

post #283 of 1142

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post

It's not even changing the circumstances that really irk me, it's that it's obviously being changed just to say that they're different from Raimi's take while at the same time missing what it was about Peter's wrestling match that drove his guilt. Uncle Ben didn't die because Peter went somewhere he shouldn't; it was because he had a chance to do the right thing and didn't. 

 

Since I haven't been reading up much about this movie, I have no idea that they changed the circumstances surrounding Uncle Ben's death. This movie has just dropped my enthusiasm to see it by several notches. 

post #284 of 1142

Also, origin stories are the easiest, because it has a built-in character arc. When you get down to it, it's very hard to justify fourth or fifth movies about a character when there's just less basic ways for them to change. Spider-Man IV would have had him leaving Mary Jane, I think (I know there was supposedly more to it), which feels like cheap melodrama to change the status quo coughONEMOREDAYcough.

post #285 of 1142
post #286 of 1142

Well, I guess the plan is to go bigger and louder with the sequel then?

Bring on the Sinister Six.

post #287 of 1142

Sony/Marvel should have worked their deals out and organised something like this for a second Avengers film. Imagine suddenly throwing spider-man into something like that universe. Maximum profit for all!!!

 

250px-Richard_and_Mary_Parker_UToSM-1.jpg

post #288 of 1142
Thread Starter 

God, that fucking cover. The tagline may as well read "SPIDER-MAN! HE USED TO BE COOL!"

post #289 of 1142

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

Kurtzman and Orci have been hired to pen the sequel.

 

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/alex-kurtzman-roberto-orci-writing-sequel-to-amazing-spider-man/

 

 

Ugh.  I feel like I should like these two nubskulls, because they lucked their way up from TV, but their scripts continue to be aggressively stupid.

post #290 of 1142

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

 

 

 

Ugh.  I feel like I should like these two nubskulls, because they lucked their way up from TV, but their scripts continue to be aggressively stupid.

 


I'm fairly certain they never wrote anything that did not fit this description, they've made it on the good will of aggressively stupid audiences alone. At least some of the films they've been involved with contained a sense of wonder while lacking any kind of intelligence.

post #291 of 1142
Thread Starter 

So I heard from a friend of a friend that the studio thinks this is a massive piece of shit. Grain of salt and all tat, but that negativity train is gathering steam.

post #292 of 1142

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

So I heard from a friend of a friend that the studio thinks this is a massive piece of shit. Grain of salt and all tat, but that negativity train is gathering steam.

 

Just read a similar post from Faraci.  It can't really be as awful as is looks, can it?

post #293 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

So I heard from a friend of a friend that the studio thinks this is a massive piece of shit. Grain of salt and all tat, but that negativity train is gathering steam.

 


Negativity has been all over this from the start and never gave up.


Edited by FilmNerdJamie - 4/27/12 at 11:07am
post #294 of 1142

The Orci/Kurtzman development speaks volumes. Sony thinks they have a dog on their hands and they're bringing in the guys who wrote the Transformers movies to guarantee that the next outing is a crowd pleaser. Marc Webb is surely out of the director's chair, and if audiences don't cotton to Garfield's angry young man Peter Parker, expect a recasting. And they won't redo the origin again. We'll get a soft reboot ala BATMAN FOREVER and INCREDIBLE HULK. If it underperforms. Which it will.

post #295 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

The Orci/Kurtzman development speaks volumes. Sony thinks they have a dog on their hands and they're bringing in the guys who wrote the Transformers movies to guarantee that the next outing is a crowd pleaser. Marc Webb is surely out of the director's chair, and if audiences don't cotton to Garfield's angry young man Peter Parker, expect a recasting. And they won't redo the origin again. We'll get a soft reboot ala BATMAN FOREVER and INCREDIBLE HULK. If it underperforms. Which it will.

 

Sony's all but said they have a dog with their awful marketing. Bland trailers, posters and using the strangest promo clips to post online.

post #296 of 1142

See, I've just been in the nerd-echo chamber, and I kinda assumed the negativity wasn't going beyond that.

 

It can't underperform as badly as John Carter, can it?  Is it wrong that I'm hoping it does?

post #297 of 1142

No, it'll do OK. But OK for a Spider-Man movie isn't good enough. Nobody at Sony wants "OK" from a previously billion dollar earner.

post #298 of 1142

$200-$220 million domestic. At best.

post #299 of 1142

Yeah, will do SUPERMAN RETURNS business, and will be received much the same way I think. The Spider-Man franchise has echoed the Superman one in many ways, and I think the trend is going to contimue here.

post #300 of 1142

Superman's being rebooted for legal reasons. I don't like it. But I get it.

 

Sony's reasoning for rebooting Spider-Man is entirely arbitrary. They didn't have to reboot everything back to high school. They could have kept going with the same continuity and supporting players and just change out Pete and MJ.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Pre-Release Thread