or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The Walking Dead Season 2 (AMC)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Walking Dead Season 2 (AMC) - Page 7

post #301 of 1788

While I find myself not wanting to miss an episode (especially when Sunday Night Football has so many bad games), the last two weeks I have looked at the clock expecting the show to be near the end, and I was only at the half hour mark.  That can't be a good thing.

post #302 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

While I find myself not wanting to miss an episode (especially when Sunday Night Football has so many bad games), the last two weeks I have looked at the clock expecting the show to be near the end, and I was only at the half hour mark.  That can't be a good thing.


I have the same problem.

 

I also find myself being especially cruel because of my impatience: "Ohh, now they're going to have Carl convulse again?! I hope he is really dead at last now..."

 

post #303 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

While I find myself not wanting to miss an episode (especially when Sunday Night Football has so many bad games), the last two weeks I have looked at the clock expecting the show to be near the end, and I was only at the half hour mark.  That can't be a good thing.



 Me too.  The opener sucked, but the last two have been pretty good, but nothing special.  It's still a fairly boring show.

post #304 of 1788

Word. I mean, I watch it, but Sunday night, I'm like, "Meh, should I? Ah well, got nothing better to do."

 

Nitpicks, so I can be a hater:

So zombies are slow when they're slow, and fast when they're fast? How come zombie surprises Shane when he's hanging outside uber quick, popping his head through the window - and then afterwards, they're all hobbling along after Shane and Otis....and before in the school, they're running them down?

 

Shut up Lori. This character grates. Oh look! They mentioned Jackie! The dead black lady from the CDC! Oh, and shut up Andrea. I know (through leaks about the comics) that they're building Andrea up to be some sort of badass, but I don't care. I don't care about any of these women. I just want to slap ANdrea over and over again. All I see is bitch. 

 

So not only does this farm have helluva stock of provisions, there's electricity and (hot) running water?

 

I like how time *just* runs out and BAM there's Shane with the stuff. 

 

I know time is of the essence and all, but you would think they could have planned the whole Fema trailer thing a little better. But whatever, show. 

 

It's not that it's bad - it was a little less headbangingly stupid than earlier episodes, but it keeps being MEH. Not bad, not good, just MEH. 

 

Edit: OH, let's go walking in the woods at night! Great idea, guys. 

 

 

 

 

post #305 of 1788

I've been trying to give it another chance this season, but it's just not doing anything for me. There's not a single character in the show I give a good goddamn about.

post #306 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post

I've read, that the last two episodes were Darabont lite, or free.

 

It's interesting how a lot of people seem to be speculating on Darabont's per-episode involvement in order to justify their own judgments, positive or negative.  The only script that Darabont is credited on this season is the premiere, and the episode that was filmed from it doesn't even really exist anymore.  It was said that Darabont left after several episodes had been filmed, so in terms of being an active executive on the show we can definitely consider it "Darabont-free" after the mid-season break, but I mean, the guy was involved with mapping out the season-wide storyline.  I don't think there will be any easy way to isolate what his influences are.  He sounded like a hands-on kind of showrunner, so I'm sure later episodes of the season will/have turn out differently than if he not been shown the door (and we might have gotten that Stephen King scripted episode), but I think the major influences he was always going to have on the season were made before camera rolled.

 

Darabont may end up being to The Walking Dead what Chris Columbus was to Harry Potter.  Not in terms of the quality of their work, but in the sense that Darabont's lasting contribution to the adaptation was laying the foundation and assembling the cast and the crew.  Getting onscreen talent like DeMunn on board, hand-picking alumni from shows like The Wire and The Shield for directors, and of course lobbying hard for Greg Nicotero's team were absolutely vital to the style and whatever success this show's had.  He's made an impact that will last as long as the series does.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickP View Post

 

If my memory is correct, we didn't get Shane running on a street with a huge number of zombies lumbering after him either... where he desperately pumps shotgun blast after shotgun blast at them.  Can't happen later because he's got hair in that scene.

 

 

The lost premiere.
 

 

post #307 of 1788
Quote:
So zombies are slow when they're slow, and fast when they're fast? How come zombie surprises Shane when he's hanging outside uber quick, popping his head through the window - and then afterwards, they're all hobbling along after Shane and Otis....and before in the school, they're running them down?

 

So not only does this farm have helluva stock of provisions, there's electricity and (hot) running water?

 

I like how time *just* runs out and BAM there's Shane with the stuff. 

 

Edit: OH, let's go walking in the woods at night! Great idea, guys.

 

Get outta my head, W_W.

 

I keep wondering...how long would it actually take for someone to get into "survival mode"  after something this world-shattering happens? The real question being "when are these characters going to stop doing needlessly stupid shit?" A walk in the woods at night being one of those stupid things. *My* Daryl would never do that, no matter how sniffly the annoying lady got.

 

And yeah, the infrastructure issues are infuriatingly ignored. I suppose there's a whole team of unseen shift-working farmhands keeping a similarly unseen generator running smoothly 24/7.

 

...and squeezing oranges.

post #308 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
And yeah, the infrastructure issues are infuriatingly ignored. I suppose there's a whole team of unseen shift-working farmhands keeping a similarly unseen generator running smoothly 24/7.

 

...and squeezing oranges.


The oranges I can get, maybe they have a lot of free time and oranges... but for electricity?

 

post #309 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post

 

Get outta my head, W_W.

 

I keep wondering...how long would it actually take for someone to get into "survival mode"  after something this world-shattering happens? The real question being "when are these characters going to stop doing needlessly stupid shit?" A walk in the woods at night being one of those stupid things. *My* Daryl would never do that, no matter how sniffly the annoying lady got.

 

And yeah, the infrastructure issues are infuriatingly ignored. I suppose there's a whole team of unseen shift-working farmhands keeping a similarly unseen generator running smoothly 24/7.

 

...and squeezing oranges.

 

 

 

 I know! *Our* Daryl has common sense, and would tell the woman to shut the hell up and go find her own daughter if she's so concerned. 

 

Since the farm group seem to have no sort of security measures (big open windows without bars or boards, pitiful little fences - 5 miles from an overrun, infested highschool, 2 miles from a major roadway), maybe they're capturing the zombies and putting them to work? Y'know, like in the epilogue to Shaun of the Dead. 

 

 

 

post #310 of 1788

It's not a stretch to imagine they have an electric water heater and a generator running the house. Keep the power running, and there's warm water. Wouldn't doubt that they have a large supply of gas for farm equipment that is now probably just being used for the generator. At least that's my take on it.

 

After being let down by the second half of the premiere, and last week's episode, this one kept me enthralled from beginning to end. I hope the rest of the season is like this.

post #311 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

It's not a stretch to imagine they have an electric water heater and a generator running the house. Keep the power running, and there's warm water. Wouldn't doubt that they have a large supply of gas for farm equipment that is now probably just being used for the generator. At least that's my take on it.

 

After being let down by the second half of the premiere, and last week's episode, this one kept me enthralled from beginning to end. I hope the rest of the season is like this.



 

 

That was my take on it too.  Even the business I work at, has 6 power generators that the install guys take with them to jobs out in the country.  So I can imagine a farm would have generators and vast amounts of fuel as well.  In all honesty, I don't need the show to spell out every little thing.  We got a power explanation at the CDC, I take it that it's more of the same anytime they run into place with power. 

post #312 of 1788
Quote:

Originally Posted by NickP

 

That was my take on it too.  Even the business I work at, has 6 power generators that the install guys take with them to jobs out in the country.  So I can imagine a farm would have generators and vast amounts of fuel as well.  In all honesty, I don't need the show to spell out every little thing.  We got a power explanation at the CDC, I take it that it's more of the same anytime they run into place with power. 


The CDC was a different animal...you would expect a vital gov't facility to have extensive backup infrastructure and power source redundancy. A family farm (which in this case isn't really as isolated as it seems) might have good backup, might not. It isn't a "given".

 

One more thing about this nitpick then I'm letting it go: If I were a survivor who happened up on that farm I'd damn sure want to know where the power was coming from. Why? Because *if* the power was coming from offsite it gives hope that other survivors have grouped together well enough to keep a power plant online. That's a big f'n deal. Otherwise just toss a couple of lines of dialogue at it: "I see you got power here"..."Yep, we have some generators and an underground tank for the farm". Done.

 

The one thing I'm not letting go in this episode (which I did enjoy by the way) was the "night walk". That was just too dumb to be believable from Daryl, who may be a redneck but ain't even remotely stupid.


 

 

post #313 of 1788

I'm saying that if something like the CDC was powered by generators, any other place with power has to be powered by generators.  I don't need an explanation anymore since we know that there is no power grid, so if there is power, it has to be a generator.   There really can be no other explanation for it. 

 

 

post #314 of 1788

the farm is obviously powered by the liquid awesome that Scott Wilson has running through his veins

 

 

post #315 of 1788

or maybe they have Shiloh on some sort of energy producing giant hamster wheel.  

post #316 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post

I'm saying that if something like the CDC was powered by generators, any other place with power has to be powered by generators.  I don't need an explanation anymore since we know that there is no power grid, so if there is power, it has to be a generator.   There really can be no other explanation for it. 

 


 

I realize I'm being pedantic about it, hence dropped.

 

And here's me not being a hater: The hanging zombie was pretty cool. Kinda reminded of the zombie heads on sticks in Survival of the Dead.
 

 

post #317 of 1788

I liked the little touches in that, with the flesh ripped off the legs.  

 

Say what you want about him leaving the RV at dark, but dealing with either the short haired woman sobbing, or zombies.... i'm taking the zombies

post #318 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

...this one kept me enthralled from beginning to end. I hope the rest of the season is like this.


Wurd.

 

 

This was a great ep.  I especially love how much I was into "Shane The Hero," only to be sucker-punched at the end by the "Shane The Anti-Hero" reveal.  What a great character.  He and Daryl are shaping up to be opposite sides of the same coin, dramatically.

 

Part of me feels like there's too many people in this show, but the other part of me is beginning to recognize the (really, really) slow-burn arc they're each getting now that the show has legs.  I imagine it's time to kill one or two of them to trim a little fat, though (my vote: Carol & the already-missing Sophia).  Oh, and a first-time prayer isn't enough to keep me interested in Glenn.  I hope they move his situation along, right quick.  T-Dog, too.  "Deal with your loss of blood" as a character's Dramatic Action isn't all that interesting.  But again, slow-burn...

 

Also, if it wouldn't be a blatant rip-off, I wish we could see an occasional Lost-style flashback-type thing for some of these guys.  That would help tremendously with character arc.  But, yeah... that would probably just be too much.

 

Question: how much time has actually passed since Rick's awakening in the hospital back in the Pilot?  It's only a couple of weeks, right?  IF that?

post #319 of 1788

Glenn's prayer and the stuff at the church previously is why I was asking before about Darabont's involvement with these episodes- it's at least somewhat interesting in that instead of the fear/fervor idea of The Mist, here you have people turning to God out of sheer last resort desperation.

post #320 of 1788

Shane's betrayal of Otis was brutal. Not only did he shoot him, he pummeled him. And then the Zombies, collectively: CHOMP. I think you can really poke at the scene and how it was placed in the episode, but it was brutal. That said, less time of Shane in front of the mirror going all Empire Records on us PLEASE! This show actually has a history of sad Shane moments in bathrooms. Also brutal - Lori's conversation with Ranger Rick. I thought it was pretty great...until Rick turned her around somehow at the end of the show. Would have been nice to see that conflict drive a wedge between them...instead of being a momentary argument. Aside from shower Shane, I liked how the episode started....with Otis and Shane stumbling for their lives in the high school. After all of the gabbing that been taking place, it's nice to see some actual action happen on screen. Hanging-from-tree zombie was great. Daryl's scenes are consistently great at this point. They seem fresh on a show that doesn't have a lot of freshness on display. Anyway, I thought this was certainly the best episode of the season. Now maybe they'll make Rick interesting again.

 

Also, writers - we get it. Glenn's going to get laid.


Edited by Kevin Matchstick - 11/1/11 at 12:55pm
post #321 of 1788
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickP View Post

I've read, that the last two episodes were Darabont lite, or free.

 

As much as I like Darabont, he seem to inject too much of that over sentimental crap into this.  Touches are fine, but I don't need to hear Rick tell everyone how is going to tell his family about the man who gave him his entrails to wear as a scarf.  

 

 

I think in this old preview from summer you see the Shane chase, which was missing, also at the 3:41 mark on you see a lot of shots missing from the premiere. I think it was likely a more action heavy episode that ended with the Zombie Herd/girl disappearance.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OZ0mu8Ey6A

 

 

post #322 of 1788

This is a terribly shallow thing for me to comment on in the middle of some mostly great discussion, but I really, really hope that, with a farmhouse possibly stocked with other dead peoples' clothes, the costume department starts putting some sleeves on Lori. More than all of the show's validly listed faults combined, I find myself distracted by those long, skinny arms and keep thinking, "The camera's adding ten pounds to that?" I honestly don't mean this as a "The lead isn't pretty enough for me!" internet complaint; TV needs more nonstandard body types of both genders. But, Jesus. I want to send her sandwiches and dumbbells for Christmas.

 

Anyway -- much improved season, still holding out hope. I agree one has to lower their standards a bit regarding pace, plot, and character to fully enjoy it, but I'm okay with that once a week if the trade-off is a zombie apocalypse show with high production values. The highs are at least better than the lows this year, so far, and the zombie work is still ridiculously good.

post #323 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav McGee View Post
 
I'm okay with that once a week if the trade-off is a zombie apocalypse show with high production values.


Having recently suffered through an Asylum/SyFy production that was actually called "Zombie Apocalypse", I'm definitely thankful just to have a weekly show that has money to spend, great effects, well done zombie attack scenes, and competent (if not great) acting. It's so easy to take these things for granted.

post #324 of 1788

Funniest complaint I heard yet.  "How the fuck can Shane stay in shape, is he hitting a gym between zombie encounters"  LOL

post #325 of 1788

I'm kind of stunned that people are nitpicking the power issue. Yes, on this show the tendency is to assume the writers didn't think anything through, but having a generator seems perfectly believable to me, especially on a FARM for Pete's sake. Hell, I'm not even 100% sure the grid power would be out at this point--they're less than two months into the zombie outbreak, correct? This helpful link, which is quite literally about this exact situation, suggests that grid power could still be working if it was a hydroelectric plant, though other forms of power plant would probably be failing at this point.

post #326 of 1788

It's more the nitpicking the hot water, clean clothes, fresh food, and lack of any recognizable defenses anywhere , from barred windows to hanging outside on the porch at night when you're two miles away from a major road, and five miles from a heavily infested highschool. 

Because it's not like we've seen

1. Random walkers in the woods

2. Herds of zombies that pass through areas (especially prone to attacking RV camps in the middle of the night)....

 

That sort of deal. But I hear there's something about a barn...

To add: It's about playing by the rules you've set up in your particular work of fiction. I've never been a fan of the whole 'relearning' concept of Romero's zombies, but I get it - he's been relatively consistent about that. He's also been pretty consistent about how they move, how they think. The Dawn of the Dead remake zombies were fast. And they generally stayed fast too. The 'rules' here are inconsistent (and I'm not talking about the 'smelling' on the highway, that was justified to me perfectly fine) and it ruins the suspension of disbelief. 

post #327 of 1788

Well, I may be the only one, but I have an electric water heater.  

Considering it's their home, this farm, I'm sure they have more then 4 pairs of clothes, and if they do have an electric water heater and a generator that would allow them to have clean clothes.

Farm = food as well.  From livestock, to produce and milk.

 

I'm taking that the farm is way out there, and that is why there haven't been many zombies.  The campsite in the first season was pretty close to the city, way closer then the farm.  It took them how long before it was attacked by a group of zombies?  I'm not sure about the logistics of the farm, maybe they explained how far it is from the school, but it seemed further then five miles.  

post #328 of 1788

They have a watch in place and, the way the house is situated, would see zombies coming from a long way off.  Their perceived lack of caution could simply be having a routine worked out.  There's some indication zombies have been out at the farm, unless I am mistaken.  They'd had people infected, anyway.  Not every place would get overrun by large herds.

 

Besides, you can pretty safely bet one is coming eventually.

post #329 of 1788

The whole farm is surrounded by a fence (Maggie asked if they had closed the gate). They also have a watch out at all times. They haven't had a herd problem yet, which is perfectly reasonable, considering the short time since the outbreak.

 

The one thisng I did notice and nitpicked in my head was the sandwich with fresh toast bread. The only explanation being, that they stocked their freezer with toast bread at some point, as that shit doesn't last a week.

post #330 of 1788

Well, considering Herschel and his wife's? age, I wouldn't put it past them to freeze bread.  Kind of a generational thing with stockpiling food. 

post #331 of 1788

+1 for more Flashback action. Helps the characters resonate more.

post #332 of 1788

Yes, I want the show to grind to a halt so they can explain why the farm has a fence, a generator, and friggin' toast. Jesus, I am SO GLAD that the nitpickers here are just internet armchair critics and not television writers. Your zombie show would suck.

post #333 of 1788

Also they need to do in-between season event movies that show how new characters survived the zombie apocalypse. These characters could then run into our main group in the following season. This would give us something to wet our whistle during the summer and also give us some more context.

post #334 of 1788

Well, I think the criticism is fair and well-earned. It's not like they put this out there in a slot next to Two and a Half Men and expected it to compete with that demographic. You have to expect that if you make a high-budget series about the zombie apocalypse, a lot of people are going to tune in... and the majority of those people are going to be the folks who have their zombie contingency plan folded up in their bedside table already. These people are going to know zombie lore inside and out.

 

If you're wondering, yes, I guess I'm one of those people. I feel like after the initial punch, after the majority of soft, unlucky people have been picked off, the average person is going to be... hardened, you know? So personally, I can't help but groan as somebody goes off for a HERP DERP jaunt in the woods at night, or embraces a clearly infected person who is retching and twitching, or locks themself in a port-a-potty.

 

People are going to notice when your zombies are shuffling and dopey sometimes, and then snarling, darting predators in the next scene. People are going to notice when a "home base" seems a little too laughably lax and unprotected. People are going to notice when your savvy characters pass up an ambulance full of medical supplies, etc.

 

Don't get me wrong, I understand that unprepared survivors make for more dramatic scenes than hardened, battle-ready survivors, and if everybody was smart, nobody would ever get eaten in gruesome fashion. I understand you can't explain everything because you have to maintain some level of pacing (although they don't seem to be too overly concerned with that, so that particular line of reasoning falls a bit flat). But like someone said up there, would a five-second scene of someone walking past a humming generator throw off the pace of the show so much? Would it make things so much less dramatic to have someone make the occasional smart decision, and just look out the window and sigh, rather than wandering off into the woods alone? I think the average viewer wants to see PROGRESSIVE THINKING in the characters. A sense of direction, or at least an attempt to lever themselves against the odds and survive. More preparation as time goes on. Right now, it feels more like "Whose Line is it Anyway", renamed "Whose Turn is it to Do Something Idiotic and Nonsensical".

 

And that probably comes across strongly. I like the show's premise. I find some of the characters to be engaging. But it throws me off when someone I feel like I can get behind does something that feels ridiculous, or even out of character.

post #335 of 1788

No, that's all bullshit. These people, in this world, do not watch zombie movies. They don't know what your stupid zombie survival OCD rules are. They are stressed, flawed and in some cases suicidal people who make boneheaded calls sometimes, like real, actual people would. And most of all, a zombie show where everyone behaved perfectly rationally and sensibly all the time would be FUCKING BORING. I don't want to see that show. Plus, I think half of the stupid concerns (like the fence and the generator) will be explained when the show sees fit to explain it. Sorry that it isn't on your Aspergian timetable.

post #336 of 1788

The problem with discussing nitpicking is that one person's egregiously implausible is another person's "no big deal."

 

If I wanted everyone to act the same way I would I would wonder why they all hadn't stockpiled as many supplies as they could and found someplace to hole up for as long as possible, and then repeat the process for as long as needed (or able.)

 

I don't find Daryl looking for the girl at night ridiculous.  Maybe a little reckless considering the light could be seen from a distance, but certainly not anything to ruin any enjoyment I got out of the scenes.  These people are in danger 24/7 as it is.

 

The sheer amount of complaints I've read elsewhere that could be explained away by someone just thinking about it for a few seconds, or giving the show the benefit of the doubt that they don't have time to explain every little detail (as Sebastian OB alluded to) reinforces the idea that just as often as there's something wrong with the stuff Hollywood produces, there can be something wrong with the audience.

post #337 of 1788

If you could try not to fly into a boneheaded rage and start throwing around insults, that'd be pretty cool. Makes it hard to respect your opinion when you're slobbering and ranting after one post.

 

See, if you actually READ my post, you'd see that I said criticism is to be expected, because THE FANS of the show are going to be big fans of zombies in general. That THE FANS of the show are going to be knowledgeable, watch zombie movies, and speak up regarding issues that seem off. Nowhere did I express an opinion that the characters on the show needed to be this way. I was simply pointing out that you can't pander something halfassed to people who know what to look for.

 

Call me crazy, but I'm also PRETTY SURE I said that I understood why the characters make stupid decisions. However, I don't think that expecting what I called "progressive thinking" in the characters is too farfetched in a show that is touting itself as THE PREMIER ZOMBIE EXPERIENCE. I don't think it's too farfetched that someone would play things close to the chest after watching friends and family get dismembered and eaten.

 

Jesus. I admit I'm relatively new. Maybe you're just the resident "ARRGGGHH I'M MAD AND AM GOING TO INSINUATE THAT PEOPLE HAVE AUTISM WHEN THEY DON'T AGREE WITH MY PERSONAL OPINION" guy. Every forum has one. But your act is wasted on me, it just seems juvenile.

post #338 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

The problem with discussing nitpicking is that one person's egregiously implausible is another person's "no big deal."

 

Naturally. That's the nature of argument. But we're talking about "nitpicking", as you put it. Sort of half-jokingly throwing around little things that we've noticed. I don't see anybody having a hair-pulling rant about why they're never going to watch the show again, so I don't think overblown posts insulting the intelligence of others (or calling them names or insinuating they have medical conditions) is warranted..

 

Personally, if I shambled up to a working, functioning farm with power and utilities and relatively lax defenses, I'd want to know how and why. Naturally, that resonates with me. Me, personally, I want to know why. Me, personally, I'd like to see somebody ask. It's an opinion. And overzealously lumping anyone with a beef into one category and wailing about how "everyone complains about every little thing" is just sort of blase and laughable.

 

It's a message board. People have opinions.

post #339 of 1788

Hybris, I didn't mean to single you out or attack you, I apologize. I find this discussion thread to be a little infuriating and I concede to any overreacting I may have done. I just wish the discussion and criticism would focus more on the drama of the show and not the nerdish, nitpicky concerns. You are not guilty necessarily, I was reacting more to the consensus than to you in particular.

post #340 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

Hybris, I didn't mean to single you out or attack you, I apologize. I find this discussion thread to be a little infuriating and I concede to any overreacting I may have done. I just wish the discussion and criticism would focus more on the drama of the show and not the nerdish, nitpicky concerns. You are not guilty necessarily, I was reacting more to the consensus than to you in particular.



Hey, I can understand that. Different people come here for different things. Personally, I enjoy reading about what other people have noticed, and their concerns, particularly if they match up with mine. Gives me some sort of indication of who watches what, and what different people look for. Evidently you come more for a discussion of the show itself, the plot, rather than the mechanics. I can respect that.

 

And yeah, some of it is too nitpicky even for me to touch. The toast guy? That just got a ">_>" and I moved on... which I believe was his intent.

post #341 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybris View Post

 

Naturally. That's the nature of argument. But we're talking about "nitpicking", as you put it. Sort of half-jokingly throwing around little things that we've noticed. I don't see anybody having a hair-pulling rant about why they're never going to watch the show again, so I don't think overblown posts insulting the intelligence of others (or calling them names or insinuating they have medical conditions) is warranted..

 

Personally, if I shambled up to a working, functioning farm with power and utilities and relatively lax defenses, I'd want to know how and why. Naturally, that resonates with me. Me, personally, I want to know why. Me, personally, I'd like to see somebody ask. It's an opinion. And overzealously lumping anyone with a beef into one category and wailing about how "everyone complains about every little thing" is just sort of blase and laughable.

 

It's a message board. People have opinions.

 


But one hopes that the quality of discussion rises above little logistical quibbles or details of exposition that are ultimately irrelevant to the characters or themes of the piece, and aren't even all that important when it comes to something technical like plot structure.  (For instance, Hitchcock's movies were very plotted, but not overly concerned with plausibility.)

 

Granted, a show like this that drops you into the nitty gritty day to day of a group of survivors in an extreme situation lends itself to people putting themselves in said situation more than other types of shows or movies.  But ultimately when I watch The Walking Dead I am not going to wonder about why Shane didn't just get the stuff out of the ambulance at the FEMA station any more than, when I watch 24, I'm going to wonder why Jack Bauer walked into a heavily guarded enemy compound with a single handgun and one extra clip.

 

post #342 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

 


But one hopes that the quality of discussion rises above little logistical quibbles or details of exposition that are ultimately irrelevant to the characters or themes of the piece, and aren't even all that important when it comes to something technical like plot structure.  (For instance, Hitchcock's movies were very plotted, but not overly concerned with plausibility.)

 

Granted, a show like this that drops you into the nitty gritty day to day of a group of survivors in an extreme situation lends itself to people putting themselves in said situation more than other types of shows or movies.  But ultimately when I watch The Walking Dead I am not going to wonder about why Shane didn't just get the stuff out of the ambulance at the FEMA station any more than, when I watch 24, I'm going to wonder why Jack Bauer walked into a heavily guarded enemy compound with a single handgun and one extra clip.

 


Well, I both agree and disagree. I suppose those things aren't important to plot structure in the average television series... but in this case, the plot structure is "staying alive in a hopeless, brutal world with no end in sight". I guess I think differently. See, when somebody breaks a leg or twists an ankle or god knows what else, I AM going to think "Jeez, the ambulance, who didn't see this one coming".

 

I played a lot of Left 4 Dead when it was big... and watching a character that is supposed to be somewhat competent do something boneheaded ("pulling a Louis", is what we call it) pulls me out of the immersion.

 

post #343 of 1788


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

No, that's all bullshit. These people, in this world, do not watch zombie movies. They don't know what your stupid zombie survival OCD rules are. They are stressed, flawed and in some cases suicidal people who make boneheaded calls sometimes, like real, actual people would. And most of all, a zombie show where everyone behaved perfectly rationally and sensibly all the time would be FUCKING BORING. I don't want to see that show. Plus, I think half of the stupid concerns (like the fence and the generator) will be explained when the show sees fit to explain it. Sorry that it isn't on your Aspergian timetable.



If you've read this entire thread, then you've earned that rant. Personally, I had to check out of the thread a while back because it was just too irritating to read. I figured it would be safe after what was one of their best episodes to date,...

 

There are enough valid criticisms of this show; the frantic scouring for potential 'gotchas' is just tedious.

 

Zmobies are an inherently stupid premise. Why? Because human beings suck at biting and clawing. You know what you need to survive an encounter with a zombie? A FUCKING SWEATSHIRT.

 

The story of the episode was Shane's grim decision, and how they finally earned an emotional scene for him in the bathroom. They didn't even need the whiskey and tears this time! I was suspicious from the moment her arrive back at the farm - had they really just offed the big crazy-eyed guy off-camera?!? The reveal at the end was well played. Shane even shot him in the leg to ensure the zombies had live food to complete the distraction; that's cold-blooded.

 

The problem with this show doing more flashbacks is that the characters don't have any mystery to them. LOST's flashbacks worked so well because the theme of people overcoming or being consumed by their dark pasts was central to the show. For most of these characters, flashbacks would be little more than maudlin wheel-spinning. I'd much rather see the characters moving forward (and hopefully jettisoning the ones I don't like - I'm looking at you, crazy-eyed wife!)

post #344 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

They have a watch in place and, the way the house is situated, would see zombies coming from a long way off.  Their perceived lack of caution could simply be having a routine worked out.  There's some indication zombies have been out at the farm, unless I am mistaken.  They'd had people infected, anyway.  Not every place would get overrun by large herds.

 

Besides, you can pretty safely bet one is coming eventually.


not exactly, and not from where you think

 

that's right, parachuting zombies :)

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

well I had to throw him off the barn scent.

 

post #345 of 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post

I'm saying that if something like the CDC was powered by generators, any other place with power has to be powered by generators.  I don't need an explanation anymore since we know that there is no power grid, so if there is power, it has to be a generator.   There really can be no other explanation for it. 

 

 



FUCKING SOLAR POWER!!!!

post #346 of 1788

FUCKING FINALLY!

 

Jesus, I've been reading every post looking for someone to point that out and then I get the very last post and finally, someone putting a little more thought to it!!

 

Houses with solar power and a battery bank are NOT UNCOMMON!

 

Solar Power.

Wind Power.

Hydroelectric. I'm not talking about the Hoover dam here, you can generate power from a small stream and dam.

Geothermal/Steam.

Natural Gas Wells.

Oil Pumps. These things are freaking EVERYWHERE in the south.

 

Maybe they have zombies on treadmills in the basement and the treadmills are connected to electric generators?

post #347 of 1788

I'm completely on board with Sebastian's rants about the nitpicking re: power sources, hot water, etc. And I'm especially on board with the notion there are plenty of legit critiques that can (and should) be made about the show that have nothing to do with how or why the farm has power.

 

Finally watched Sunday's episode. Yes, it was a big improvement over what we've seen this season so far, but it also suffers from the same problem: way too little happens over far too much time. Shane shooting Otis was a shocker, and a big reveal of what kind of guy he is. Great moment. But I found myself fast forwarding through all Rick, Lori and bedridden Carl scenes. I simply did not care, and what's more, had no desire to hear whatever awful dialogue was coming out of their mouths.

 

Nice for Glenn to get a few moments. Otis' daughter: hot, hot, hot. Hit that, Glenn!

 

And while I understand Sebastian's argument that "perfectly rational, always sensible people" would be boring to watch (and I mostly agree with that), I still think our Band of Heroes continues to make extraordinarily stupid decisions. Andrea and Daryl going out at night in the woods was just dumb. Period. As was Dale's wandering out among the cars alone. Herschel's family provide a glaring contrast of people thinking ahead and living smart as opposed to ongoing dumbness of Rick & Co. Herschel and family have managed to live fairly securely, with power, hot water, food, etc., and haven't lost anyone (until now). 

 

And please, TWD producers: NO FLASHBACKS. Not only did LOST run that shit into the ground, flashbacks almost always manage to kill you forward momentum. Or if you're going to use them, use them very, very sparingly. Maybe 1-2 per season. 

 

Given that I was easily able to wait two days to watch this, and that I skipped over all of Rick and Lori's scenes.....I think this show has one more episode, and then I'm done. 

post #348 of 1788

I'm going to be Mr. Unpopular.  I LOVE Shane.  He's easily the most interesting person on this show(Daryl being a close second) because he feels like a human being.  His personality is riddled with the nasty imperfections and complications that we all suffer and we all try and work through and over come.  Even shooting Otis was a poorly thought out fuck up, resulting in an awkward struggle for the pack.  It's easy to see the worst of yourself in Shane, the guilt, the good man mixed up with all the poor choices and the maelstrom of complications.

 

Shane made a shitty, nasty decision that's only going to eat away at his soul, but it WAS a  decision.  A legitimate decision.  What tough choice did Rick have to make in regards to Carls safety?  To perform the unlikely operation now or later when it's very slightly more likely?  It's impossible to sympathize with Rick because his only mode is Captain Morality, and without any conflict forcing him away from that moral compass(which hasn't happened yet) there's no conflict and thus he's not interesting. 

post #349 of 1788

Michael hints above at the glaring hole in Sebastian's argument about nitpicking; that being that the show has dug itself so far into a hole that it has to pull an Andy Dufresne at this point just to become mediocre.

 

I agree the power at the farmhouse kinda made me cock my head to the side for a second but beyond that I simply think I didn't care to argue about it because this episode finally became barely tolerable.  That barely tolerable rise is quality led me to overlook a few things that I gather might be explained later on.

 

If Sebastian wants to talk fundamental issues besides "gotchas" that's fine.

 

Topic:  The writing on TWD is objectively atrocious and has not improved much since the first season.  Discuss.

 

Topic:  The editing on TWD is clunky and disjoints storylines to the detriment of pacing.  Discuss.

 

Topic:  The acting by various members of our survivors, Sarah Wayne Callies(Lori) in particular and to a lesser extent Laurie Holden(Andrea), is dragging down an otherwise tenable cast.  Or, is the writing so freshman that the actors are hamstrung by the words put in their mouths?  Discuss.

post #350 of 1788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

I'm going to be Mr. Unpopular.  I LOVE Shane.  He's easily the most interesting person on this show(Daryl being a close second) because he feels like a human being.  His personality is riddled with the nasty imperfections and complications that we all suffer and we all try and work through and over come.  Even shooting Otis was a poorly thought out fuck up, resulting in an awkward struggle for the pack.  It's easy to see the worst of yourself in Shane, the guilt, the good man mixed up with all the poor choices and the maelstrom of complications.

 

Shane made a shitty, nasty decision that's only going to eat away at his soul, but it WAS a  decision.  A legitimate decision.  What tough choice did Rick have to make in regards to Carls safety?  To perform the unlikely operation now or later when it's very slightly more likely?  It's impossible to sympathize with Rick because his only mode is Captain Morality, and without any conflict forcing him away from that moral compass(which hasn't happened yet) there's no conflict and thus he's not interesting. 


Shane remains my favourite person on the show. That decision with Otis was one I might have made in the heat of the moment - and Devin, in his review put it correctly that it's a decision Rick should have had to make to save his son. Unfortunately, I can already see where they're going with his character - they're doing a gradual Walter White-ish turn from conflicted good guy to all round asshole. Sooner or later Shane and Rick are going to come to blows, and Captain Morality will come out on top. Like Daryl's sudden change of heart, it has the writers' fingerprints all over it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The Walking Dead Season 2 (AMC)