or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Community (Season 3): POP POP POP!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Community (Season 3): POP POP POP! - Page 30

post #1451 of 2200

brilliant episode that wasn't very funny. I'd still watch a Community documentary any day of the week on History Channel.

 

 

post #1452 of 2200

The unfolding explanations of South Hall and the English Memorial Spanish Hall's names absolutely destroyed me.

post #1453 of 2200

 

I thought it was brilliant and the most laugh-out-loud of the post-hiatus episodes. Can't wait to watch it again.

post #1454 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy Jones View Post

The unfolding explanations of South Hall and the English Memorial Spanish Hall's names absolutely destroyed me.



I haven't laughed that hard at a Community joke in months. Also, Leonard fighting for the North Koreans, and "Leonard likes this post."

 

Overall, the PBS conceit seemed a little forced, but I appreciated the attempt. I get how they fit into the context of the framing device, but Britta's floundering photojournalism career and Pierce's ultimate weapon both fell flat for me. I hope the show can move past the will-they-or-won't-they with Troy and Abed now.

 

People are cooing over Jeff going back to the Dean's office to pick up the imaginary hats as if he didn't do something like that at the end of every episode.

post #1455 of 2200

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

 

People are cooing over Jeff going back to the Dean's office to pick up the imaginary hats as if he didn't do something like that at the end of every episode.


The cooing is because he usually only does it for an audience, and in this case he didn't. Except, of course, he did.

post #1456 of 2200

Jeff has these internal moments of awareness all the time. They typically involve him either aborting an evil plan (e.g. taking Pierce to see his Mom's corpse at the morgue) or resolving a conflict with a single member of the group (e.g. Shirley at the end of the Foosball episode). Jeff embarking on a sleazy plan only to capitulate and show genuine affection toward the group is probably the show's most over-explored trope.

post #1457 of 2200

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

Jeff has these internal moments of awareness all the time. They typically involve him either aborting an evil plan (e.g. taking Pierce to see his Mom's corpse at the morgue) or resolving a conflict with a single member of the group (e.g. Shirley at the end of the Foosball episode). Jeff embarking on a sleazy plan only to capitulate and show genuine affection toward the group is probably the show's most over-explored trope.


Yes, but that's not what made that moment exceptional. It's that he actually went to the Dean's office, instead of just hanging out in the hallway. He even invented little back stories for what happened to the imaginary hats and for a brief moment, we thought he was doing it for the benefit of no one but himself (see his discussion with Annie about keeping a journal). But then we remembered that he was fully aware of the film crew and was doing it for their benefit.

post #1458 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeI View Post

 


Yes, but that's not what made that moment exceptional. It's that he actually went to the Dean's office, instead of just hanging out in the hallway. He even invented little back stories for what happened to the imaginary hats and for a brief moment, we thought he was doing it for the benefit of no one but himself (see his discussion with Annie about keeping a journal). But then we remembered that he was fully aware of the film crew and was doing it for their benefit.



Right. Having him wait in the hall instead of playing it up for the cameras would have been more coo-worthy.

post #1459 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto II View Post

tumblr_m21bf5x5JX1qe3p9bo1_250.gif

 

Heh, Gatorade IVs.

 

Britta being The Worst at photojournalism was a great recurring sight gag, and Keith Davd's dulcet tones are welcome in... well... everything, really.

 

But Leonard and the Leonard-related material killed it this episode.

 

post #1460 of 2200

Oh man. The Changlorious Basterds. Everything about this episode was win. Loved every moment of it.

post #1461 of 2200

1.6 in the 18-34 Male demo, tying American Idol.

 

1.3 in the overalls. 30 Rock got a 1.2, Up All Night 1.1, and Awake 0.9.

 

In terms of total viewers, Community drew 3.1M, 30 Rock 2.8M. Repeat of The Office did 2.5M. Up All Night 2.6M.

 

We're fine; it's still the best-rated show on NBC Thursdays, and literally everyone was down by 0.5 across the board. The network is aware of these things. Big Bang Theory averaged 13M viewers Thursday, or literally more than the cumulative audience of all four NBC Thursday comedies combined.

 

Apparently, there was an extra inning during an Ohio baseball game that preempted the episode. Also, last week's preemption in St. Louis could have affected it, as it was the second part of a two-parter, and people could've been worried that they wouldn't "get" it without seeing the first part.

 

Hallelujah, holy shit, where's the Tylenol?

post #1462 of 2200

And can you guess what Saturday is?

 

http://www.pillowfightday.com/

 

 

post #1463 of 2200

Loved the reveal of Fat Neil as a smooth talking DJ. More of that please! In fact, let's get our long overdue Simpsons-esque "Background characters get their own episode while our main cast is regulated to the background" episode. 

 

 

post #1464 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post

Loved the reveal of Fat Neil as a smooth talking DJ. More of that please! In fact, let's get our long overdue Simpsons-esque "Background characters get their own episode while our main cast is regulated to the background" episode. 

 

 



"This is Real Neil with pipes of steel, signing off with the smooth sounds of 'Daybreak.'" Loved the hell out of that; I really hope the college radio scene gets some future attention.*

 

Meanwhile, Community's up in hulu's Best in Show 2012 this week, facing... The Walking Dead! If this isn't a landslide victory, I'll eat my (magic, imaginary) hat. Vote early, vote often!

 

*ETA: Pit them in a ratings war versus City College's highly successful yet more mainstream station that merely poses as "college radio." Boom, Harmon, there's your meta storyline. I accept Paypal.


Edited by Trav McGee - 4/6/12 at 11:27am
post #1465 of 2200

Pillow Man Schematic Descriptions:

 

Gluteal Pillow Plating Repels Assaults from the Rear

 

Astronaut Diaper for Relief During Long Battles

 

Shin Guards Can Easily be Reconfigured for use as Chaps for R&R

 

Custom Orthopedic Feather-Lined Battle Boots Provide Comfort and Traction

 

Face Mask Conceals Blanket Eating Warrior Within

 

600 Thread Count 100% Cotton Pillow Case for Breathability

 

Extra Thick Memory Foam Reactive Armor Cushions Cushion Concussions <- My favorite

 

The Pillow of Thor

 

Built-in Wifi Hotspot for Tactical *Communication and Bowling Championship Scores

 

As Specified, Generous Room in the Crotch

 

Heavy-Duty shin guards Protect against Pre-Teen Mercenaries

 

post #1466 of 2200

The "Britta can't take a picture" runner absolutely killed me. So much greatness in this episode. I'll just echo the thoughts that things haven't quite felt right since coming back from the break, but this was just awesome.

post #1467 of 2200

It was a little weird having so much of the episode play out in still photographs, but I don't understand the people who didn't find it funny.  The PBS stuff was so dead on, and the status updates and texts were terrific.

post #1468 of 2200

500x168px-LL-5a14e5be_tumblr_m21d9ystiS1r4kxexo1_500.png

500x404px-LL-050da1aa_tumblr_m21d9ystiS1r4kxexo2_500.png

 

You can't quite make it out in these photos, but the doctor's name/signature at the bottom of Pierce's medical report?

 

"Mr. Dr. Benjamin Rosenrosen, M.D., L.L.P."

post #1469 of 2200

One thing this episode made me realize:  It's going to really suck for historians in the future when, assuming they survive somehow, text messages, tweets, emails, and facebook status updates are the only primary sources available.

post #1470 of 2200

A little bit of detail I loved?  The white-on-black text at the beginning and middle of the episode had that interlaced jiggle.  Like we're watching this taped on a VHS set on EP.  Now, the rest of the episode was clean, so they didn't that aesthetic far at all.  But I certainly didn't mind.

post #1471 of 2200

Fuck it, I'm calling it. This is Simpsons at their apex level of comedy. This is an actual classic episode. 

post #1472 of 2200

I'm starting to admire this show more than I'm laughing at it

post #1473 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios View Post

Fuck it, I'm calling it. This is Simpsons at their apex level of comedy. This is an actual classic episode. 



You can call it all you want, you're wrong.

post #1474 of 2200

Sure thing, buddy.

post #1475 of 2200
The problem with the comparison isn't that Community at its peak doesn't hit those highs. It does, but The Simspsons, say season 2-6 or so, never dropped even a bit. Every single episode was an A, except every 3rd was an A+. Community can certainly knock it out of the park, Babe Ruth style, but not every at bat. The only thing that you could make the argument for would be Arrested Development, and they never even tried to make you misty. Community will have to settle for being the funniest show on TV now by a mile.
post #1476 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios View Post

Fuck it, I'm calling it. This is Simpsons at their apex level of comedy. This is an actual classic episode.


Am I writing in Swahili?

 

 

post #1477 of 2200

I loved how every time they cut to a picture of Annie, it started focused on her boobs and then panned up.

 

Just a brilliant episode.  Not only one of the best Community episodes this season, but one of the best episodes of anything.

post #1478 of 2200

He shall not be called Fat Neil anymore. He is Real Neil with The Pipes of Steel.It was good to see Neil being happy and productive. I would like to see more of Greendale's radio station. I was a member of my college radio station at Point Park in Pittsburgh. The staff when I was there is the target audience for Community.


Edited by Chaz - 4/7/12 at 10:44am
post #1479 of 2200

If you thought the "man named Subway" was a bit far-fetched....

 

4e8c867302dae.png

post #1480 of 2200

And I'm completely in the "that was a classic" and "that was hilarious" camps. Funnier than Remedical Chaos Theory, but not sure about better. They're both, so far, at the apex of this season's episodes.

 

Pierce's ultimate weapon managed to be both gut-bustingly funny and a bit creepy/scary. Much like Pierce!

post #1481 of 2200

Speaking of "Remedial Chaos Theory," in case anyone missed it, that episode was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation - Short Form.  It's up against three episodes of Doctor Who, so likely doesn't have a prayer of winning, but a cool nod nonetheless.

post #1482 of 2200

FYI

 

http://www.hulu.com/watch/348524/a-day-in-the-life-joel-mchale

 

part of a series by Morgan Spurlock

there is a bunch of behind the scenes footage from the season finale

post #1483 of 2200

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Speaking of "Remedial Chaos Theory," in case anyone missed it, that episode was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation - Short Form.  It's up against three episodes of Doctor Who, so likely doesn't have a prayer of winning, but a cool nod nonetheless.


So neat that this show is getting recognized for achievement in science fiction.  Makes pandering shit like Big Bang Theory seem even more trite.  

 

post #1484 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav McGee View Post

Meanwhile, Community's up in hulu's Best in Show 2012 this week, facing... The Walking Dead! If this isn't a landslide victory, I'll eat my (magic, imaginary) hat. Vote early, vote often!

 



What in the hell is wrong with people?  SoA beats Justified and The Walking Dead is in the finals?!?!  I weep for America.

post #1485 of 2200

     Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

FYI

 

http://www.hulu.com/watch/348524/a-day-in-the-life-joel-mchale

 

part of a series by Morgan Spurlock

there is a bunch of behind the scenes footage from the season finale

 

The Other Reason Why Joel McHale > Us.

 

The dude's more like Abed than Abed.

post #1486 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisTheCheese View Post



What in the hell is wrong with people?  SoA beats Justified and The Walking Dead is in the finals?!?!  I weep for America.



Sons of Anarchy also beat Game of Thrones, and Walking Dead beat Breaking Bad. To paraphrase both Walt Whitman and Langston Hughes...

 

I, too, hear America crying.

post #1487 of 2200

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post



Sons of Anarchy also beat Game of Thrones, and Walking Dead beat Breaking Bad. To paraphrase both Walt Whitman and Langston Hughes...

 

I, too, hear America crying.


Maybe they were worried about Kurt Sutter bitching about losing on the Internet and so had to vote for it.

 

post #1488 of 2200

Community is up for a HUGO? I cannot express how profoundly this pleases me. And how it falls in place with how I've been approaching Community for a while now.

post #1489 of 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto II View Post

     Quote:

 

The Other Reason Why Joel McHale > Us.

 

The dude's more like Abed than Abed.

One of my favorite drops from the Carolla Podcast is McHale saying "I'm a card-carrying NAMBLA member."
 

 

post #1490 of 2200
post #1491 of 2200

At one point, Chevy mentioned pulling things out of his cast. I'm assuming this was during last year's bottle episode?

post #1492 of 2200

Tonight's episode, from NBC:

 

 

Quote:

"Origins of Vampire Mythology":

 

When Britta's old flame "Blade" (Kirk Fox, Parks and Recreation) returns to town with the traveling carnival, she confesses to the group that she needs their help to stay away from him. While Annie, Troy, and Abed scheme to keep her occupied and away from Blade, Jeff and Shirley head to the carnival to get a look at the mystery-man. Meanwhile, Dean Laybourne (guest star John Goodman) enlists the help of Dean Pelton to convince Troy to join the Air Conditioning Repair Annex.

 

"Blade"?

 

Also, Goodman.

 

OK, I'm there.


Edited by Leto II - 4/12/12 at 12:54pm
post #1493 of 2200

Oh man!  The guy from Pawnee's Sewage Department!  YES!

post #1494 of 2200

Wasn't the entire reason that Dean Laybourne had any sway over Dean Pelton the fact that the AC school brought in the actual money to the college?  Shouldn't the fact that the school is completely broke at this point remove that?

post #1495 of 2200

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Pathetic View Post

Wasn't the entire reason that Dean Laybourne had any sway over Dean Pelton the fact that the AC school brought in the actual money to the college?  Shouldn't the fact that the school is completely broke at this point remove that?

 

No, because Laybourne can always get Greendale back in to the black with some of those sweet, sweet AC dollars.
 

 

post #1496 of 2200

So much self-loathing in this one.  Definitely a Harmon episode.

 

But he manages to balance the funny and the sad and the sweet so perfectly.  Another home-run as far as I'm concerned.  

post #1497 of 2200

Yeah, I laughed a lot here, and I'm very interested in how dark it got for Britta and Annie. And Pierce, actually. This show is fascinating.

post #1498 of 2200

I think the Troy stuff was great as well.  Going way back to season 1, when he was the over-confident jock, dickishly hitting on Annie, you can see how much he's grown.  Now he's a nicer more sensitive dude, and appears to have genuine feelings towards Britta, who is totally turned off by the nice guy shtick.  Troy coming to that realization as he's sending out the final text was just so sad.  Great character stuff.  And it goes without saying - Glover is an enormous talent.

post #1499 of 2200

I did like the when Annie pointed and nodded at Troy to let Britta know that is who wrote the nice text. Not the funniest episode, but still a good one. Chand wanting to play Russian Roulette was a good laugh.

post #1500 of 2200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Community (Season 3): POP POP POP!