WOW. SOME OF THE MOST TENSE MINUTES ON TV I HAVE EVER SEEN.
So much going on. The rape lottery was malevolently hilarious, but the coup de grace was Scott waiting for them with the machine gun in the hallway.
Lateef does not fuck around!
I second Molt's call on the wire work showing that guy get blown across the hallway...I audibly gasped when I saw that.
I don't even know what to say anymore. I have run out of hyperbole for this show...
On to the countdown...
1. HEADSHOTS: The obvious triple tap to Hasani was shot from a POV angle, but the headshot was shown in all its gruesome glory as Michael escaped the torture operating room or whatever.
a. Throat Slashes: I am giving a subcategory to knifes to the jugular because there were several and while they aren't headshots, they do involve the head. I got a lot of shades of Rambo: First Blood Part II as Scott went through the base taking out guards and then culminating with the light machine gun attack.
2. SEX: An interesting wrinkle added to Scott's character. He liked the blonde way too much to actually sleep with her...thats classy folks. But he was able to finish the deed with the Colonel's mole by some serious penetration. Kudos to the editing by intercutting shots of Michael's baby ultrasound and Scott trying to make a baby. I also enjoyed the fact that their actual time of coitus was probably 2 minutes...once again gotta give this show accolades for trying to be true to life! The whole prospect of rape has been a disturbingly prevalent thread through a lot of these episodes. Sadly, I think its also probably accurate given the areas of the world these guys are playing in.
3. INNOCENT BYSTANDER DEATH: While I don't think he was innocent, Manny's breakdown throughout the first half of the episode was gleefully over the top. His ending in red bits was a joy to watch. His breakdown will be remembered for years to come if you ask me.
4. EVERYTHING GOES TO SHIT: I think the episode already started out that way. But Michael heroically holding the bridge was something unexpected as well. I didn't like that he conveniently survived and showed up in the lab. I would rather they have just shown a short 1-2 minutes scene telling us he has been captured. I don't think anyone really believed he was dead.
5. WILD CARD OF THE EPISODE: A new category I have created to highlight some of the things I have seen in this show that I have not seen anywhere else. Molt beat me to it with his earlier post, but HOLY SHIT THEY SMUGGLED A HANDGUN IN A DECAPITATED HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love how they nonchalantly realized that the "there was something a bit different about the way this head hit the floor...did you hear metal?" Coulda fooled me! But hey I don't see nearly enough heads hit the floor in my business. I would like to find the writer of this episode and congratulate him for upping the ante with that one. He/she (probably a he, who am I kidding) totally one upped the old "metal file in a birthday cake" gag.
Just to reiterate...THIS IS THE BEST ACTION SHOW ON TV...EVER.