or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › 2012-2013 NFL season
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012-2013 NFL season - Page 51

post #2501 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

 

Yet another reason Seattle is not winning.  Bill Simmons talking football is cringeworthy.

 

 

I remember in '10 when Peter King picked GB to win the SB I was like "oooo noooooo"; fortunately he abandoned them at least 2 or 3 times on the way after they got waylaid by injury.

 

 

Anyway, my white-russian-fueled point is even the most unlikely, blindest squirrel can sometimes find a nut. 

post #2502 of 3167

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I thought you thought Bill Simmons knew what he was talking about.  That would be mean.

post #2503 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

 

Yet another reason Seattle is not winning.  Bill Simmons talking football is cringeworthy.

 

I kinda think Simmons seriously talking ANYTHING is cringeworthy from an "expert" standpoint, but I find him entertaining and generally semi-insightful, at least as a fan as opposed to a purported "insider" (which he's never claimed to be). 

 

 

I'm not even holding a grudge for him rating the Big O waaaayyyy too low in his Book of Basketball

post #2504 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecallahan View Post

 

It was totally a td, sorry. Also, this is why people should shut up about benching Ponder this year as now you get a jumpy QB who would rather run than pass (Vicking it). Those two passes he threw when being sacked, damned dangerous.


This is also why not letting your backup throw a pass all year is duuuuumb. Tons of teams do it, and end up submarining their own season because of it. Minnesota had at least 4 games with generous "garbage time" this year... too bad they didn't let Webb get his first klunky experience of the year in those games...

 

This game had an 8-point spread, pre-Ponder-injury. Ponder's no star, but I do think this would've been an 8-point game with him playing. GB is putting up one of the least impressive blowouts I've ever seen. They're playing against a QB who can't throw, are up 3-0 in turnovers, are nearly doubling up MIN in yards... yet are up only 24-3. And Minnesota just punted on 4th and 2 down TWENTY ONE and BURNED A TIMEOUT doing it. Ugh. 

post #2505 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post


This is also why not letting your backup throw a pass all year is duuuuumb. Tons of teams do it, and end up submarining their own season because of it. Minnesota had at least 4 games with generous "garbage time" this year... too bad they didn't let Webb get his first klunky experience of the year in those games...

 

And those 4 would be???  Maybe Tampa.  The others, no.  The Rams game is a perfect example of why it's hard to put in subs.  up 33-7.  The Rams score tice and bring it to within 11 points with 8 minutes to go.  It may have even been close if Webb got in there.

 

The Vikings weren't good/bad enough to get a back up in.  And Ponder isn't good enough to take out and not give him experience.

post #2506 of 3167

We would have won if Ponder had been in there...

 

(runs off sobbing)

post #2507 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

And those 4 would be???  Maybe Tampa.  The others, no.  The Rams game is a perfect example of why it's hard to put in subs.  up 33-7.  The Rams score tice and bring it to within 11 points with 8 minutes to go.  It may have even been close if Webb got in there.

 

The Vikings weren't good/bad enough to get a back up in.  And Ponder isn't good enough to take out and not give him experience.

 

Tennessee, Tampa, Chicago, Houston. All look to have included possessions after both teams had essentially conceded the outcome (run it into the line time). If instead of running into the line three times and punting, teams used those times where they were up or down 3+ TDs to let their backups get some real-world experience (including running the real offense), perhaps having their starter out wouldn't end their season.

 

I'm sure someone would complain about "running up the score" or "not trying to win" when the backup enters a blowout and starts throwing the ball downfield... until a guy like Webb has to enter a playoff game... and is actually prepared to play pro football. QB is the only position where the backup gets zero game experience during the course of the season. It's lunacy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

We would have won if Ponder had been in there...

 

(runs off sobbing)


Let's not go crazy now! smile.gif

post #2508 of 3167

If the Colts win would that be considered an upset?

post #2509 of 3167

Judas Booth, To...Ponder the Vikings, without their lead...Christian, is like comparing...Valhalla to the...Valley's of California!

 

MoonBaseNick, After today thine can...Quote...THE RAVEN's...Nevermore! The Denziens of Baltimore will get to see...Their True Team...Gallop through the Former Browns aged D.  Also, the Colts will send Baltimore...South!, as they Travel...Northward and onward to...Denver and...BUCK the Broncos, saying...NEIGH, to Denver whom...PEYed a...TON for their...Manning, only to see him as...Indian...Hapless, as he was against Dave Wannstadt's Dolphin D!  Peyton will be more of a...mannikin then the...Manning he is purported to be!


Edited by duke fleed - 1/6/13 at 11:46am
post #2510 of 3167

puns so bad!

post #2511 of 3167

I don't know how you guys can read his posts.

post #2512 of 3167

Proud of my Vikings just for making the playoffs this year. From 3-13 last year to the Wildcard spot this year? That's incredible.

 

Never had a chance without Ponder. We barely had a chance WITH Ponder.

 

Very excited about this squad and the direction they are taking. Just have to get the offense (WR,QB) figured out in the off season. Vikings will be a contender for the next 5-6 years.

 

Also, I HATE Packers fans.

post #2513 of 3167

Bruce Arians hospitalized the morning of the game. Tough, not just for today's game but because he was also in line to interview for head coaching opportunities. Hopefully he'll be okay.

post #2514 of 3167

Packers fans are fine. They're like Lakers fans -- the vast majority just want to root for the "best" team, but have no solid connection to the team. The majority of Packers fans I've met are far better and more tolerable than Steelers or Patriots fans.

 

No offense intended to the Steelers and Patriots fans here. You're all fine people, but many of your brethren tend to act like bros, and give you good eggs a bad name.

post #2515 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Packers fans are fine. They're like Lakers fans -- the vast majority just want to root for the "best" team, but have no solid connection to the team. The majority of Packers fans I've met are far better and more tolerable than Steelers or Patriots fans.

 

No offense intended to the Steelers and Patriots fans here. You're all fine people, but many of your brethren tend to act like bros, and give you good eggs a bad name.

I agree with this. But Eagles fans are the worst. Even the ones in here. The worst! (I honestly have no idea if there are Eagles fans in here).
post #2516 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Ehhh... I'd rather play Seattle than Green Bay.  Playing at home, hopefully with a healthy Justin Smith, should be quite different from playing in Seattle.  Green Bay is getting healthier by the week, are starting to find a semblance of a running game, will basically have their full complement of receivers for the first time in forever, and, it should be noted even though it's the most glaringly obvious thing in football, have the best damn QB.

True, but Green Bay doesn't have the defense Seattle has. I'm confident the 49ers defense will do their job and hold their own against any team. I don't have the same surety in the offense.

 

This game is one of the few where I agree completely with a commentator's comparison. Andrew Luck is Ben Roethlisberger 2.0. Hopefully he'll make everyone forget Big Ben exists in 2 years.

post #2517 of 3167

As a Redskins fan, the crowds at the games have been getting a lot more belligerent and white trashy. Seriously, they should confiscate your tickets if you have a can of Skoal on your person. Going to RFK as a kid, I always remembered the atmosphere being a lot friendlier.

post #2518 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBaseNick View Post

If the Colts win would that be considered an upset?


Yes.

 

Statistically, the Colts are the worst 11-5 team in NFL history. They were outscored by a lot on the year, making their expected record 7-9. They also played the easiest schedule in the NFL. Basically, they and Cincy were paper tigers.

 

Still, they're playing with house money. As long as they don't get crushed (which seems unlikely), they're going to be pretty content heading into the future.

post #2519 of 3167

Jacob Singer, To read, you just need your...Eyes to be...Clear!

post #2520 of 3167

Well, I can't say I was unsurprised by the Bengals' loss, but that's what you expect as a football fan in Cincinnati.  Going into this year, I just wanted 3 things: for them to beat the Ravens, beat the Steelers, and have a winning season.  I got those (though the win against the Ravens was backup vs. backup, I'll take it) so the playoff game is just icing on the cake.  There's always next year...
 

post #2521 of 3167

This Washington-Seattle game better be damn good, because the rest of Wild Card weekend has been pretty crappy.

post #2522 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

This Washington-Seattle game better be damn good, because the rest of Wild Card weekend has been pretty crappy.


I'm 3-3, so it's looking pretty great to me!

 

Plus, if you took my "Indy receives" tip and made a legal or pretend wager, you made big or pretend bank! smile.gif

post #2523 of 3167

I don't know how you do it, Farsight.  Releasing your Back up the Brinks, Four Gold Star selection for free here on a movie website.  Clearly Vegas is going to come shut you down.

post #2524 of 3167

Colts need a running game and they need to refine the passing game.  Luck is the goods but he gets hit too much and that has something to do with the type of long routes they run.  And at 54% passing that won't cut it.  Get him a pass catching RB in the draft.

 

All the teams I wanted to win have lost.  I want Washington to win because I can't stand Carroll.  Head says Seattle will win.

post #2525 of 3167

off to the glue factory with you Colts! Knew they were utterly fraudulent, lol at Colt fans I knew saying they could go to the Super Bowl!

 

Well this Wild Card weekend has been horrible, hopefully Skins/Hawks can save this horrible week.

post #2526 of 3167

Please.  The Colts are a young team that had a lot of adversity and still managed to overachieve.  There is absolutely nothing "fraudulent" about that.

post #2527 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydren View Post

Well, I can't say I was unsurprised by the Bengals' loss, but that's what you expect as a football fan in Cincinnati.  Going into this year, I just wanted 3 things: for them to beat the Ravens, beat the Steelers, and have a winning season.  I got those (though the win against the Ravens was backup vs. backup, I'll take it) so the playoff game is just icing on the cake.  There's always next year...

 
[/qu
ote]At least Bengals and Brown's fans can take solace in the fact that your state is critical in presidential elections..

Anyone else think the Ravens have great shot at beating Denver next weekend? I know I do. Broncos beat 2 teams with a winning record this year and play in the worst division in the NFL. oh and Peyton Manning, 9-10 playoff record. Just saying.
post #2528 of 3167
The Redskins have their "unimaginable fan stress" gameplan in full effect.

Seriously, I think advancing would be nice, but I'm starting to think that it might be for the best if RG3 can rehab that knee properly sooner rather than later.
post #2529 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Buff View Post

At least Bengals and Brown's fans can take solace in the fact that your state is critical in presidential elections..

Yeah, that's comforting...  More ads per minute than anywhere else in the country.  Imagine that.

post #2530 of 3167

So... Washington apparently was left out of the modernization of NFL fields? How can Lambeau look as pristine as dome turf yet the field in DC looks like they ran a rototiller through it all week?

 

Whew, my perfect weekend is looking much better than a few minutes ago... go Seattle!

post #2531 of 3167

Imagine watching this game has been like slow water torture for Redskins fans.

post #2532 of 3167

I can't help but think how there could potentially be a rematch of the infamous replacement ref botched call game to decide who goes to the Super Bowl.

 

And congrats on fucking up your star QB, Shannahan.

post #2533 of 3167

God I hope that's not his career right there.

 

Had to turn it off after that fumble/injury. It's not a game that hurts as much as Nats/Cards game 5, simply because getting to the playoffs was a miracle (Giants had to collapse, Skins needed a really long winning streak) whereas the Nats were in command and just blew it. 

post #2534 of 3167

Funnily enough, if Cousins is able to move the ball it's going to add insult to injury for Shanny.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. Randlett View Post

God I hope that's not his career right there.

 

 

Easy there, D.S.  His leg didn't exactly Theisman.

post #2535 of 3167
If I was a Skins fan I'd already broken my TV but as a Giants fan all I can say is Hahahaha! Though I hope RGIII is okay because I don't relish seeing people getting injured.
post #2536 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. Randlett View Post

God I hope that's not his career right there.

 

 

I wouldn't go that far, but he probably won't be as fast as he once was.  Wait, after seeing what Adrian Peterson did this year, I can't really rule anything out.

post #2537 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

And congrats on fucking up your star QB, Shannahan.

Do you think that rat fink gives a shit?  He didn't a month ago when he wouldn't let Dr. Andrews (whose opinion should be taken as the word of God) examine him after his injury against Baltimore.

post #2538 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

And congrats on fucking up your star QB, Shannahan.


Two hours ago it was, "Congrats on taking your rookie QB to the 2nd round of the playoffs, Shanahan!" Good to see Griffin walk off the field, at any rate. Makes it unlikely it's a serious new injury.

 

Musical notes:

 

1) Seattle kicking off, up 10, the home audio is playing, "Smokin'" by Boston... great song, but I am baffled by the choice.

 

2) I am way too amused by FOX's melancholy injury anthem. It's like we've segued into a Hallmark movie climax every time someone goes down. I half expect an old man with a shotgun to come out just in case poor Ol' Yeller has to be put down.

 

4-0! I am feeling overconfident and ready for a huge letdown next week! Just like Houston, Baltimore and Green Bay!

post #2539 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. Randlett View Post

God I hope that's not his career right there.

 

This isn't 1968.  ACL injuries are nothing now.  Look at AP.

post #2540 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

I can't help but think how there could potentially be a rematch of the infamous replacement ref botched call game to decide who goes to the Super Bowl.

 

 

 

Well, Seattle would have to get past Atlanta and GB would have to get past SF, so let's not get over-excited about that quite yet. 

post #2541 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post


Two hours ago it was, "Congrats on taking your rookie QB to the 2nd round of the playoffs, Shanahan!" Good to see Griffin walk off the field, at any rate. Makes it unlikely it's a serious new injury.

 

Musical notes:

 

1) Seattle kicking off, up 10, the home audio is playing, "Smokin'" by Boston... great song, but I am baffled by the choice.

 

2) I am way too amused by FOX's melancholy injury anthem. It's like we've segued into a Hallmark movie climax every time someone goes down. I half expect an old man with a shotgun to come out just in case poor Ol' Yeller has to be put down.

 

4-0! I am feeling overconfident and ready for a huge letdown next week! Just like Houston, Baltimore and Green Bay!

 

1) Because everyone knows everyone in Seattle are a bunch of stoner hippies.

 

2) My girlfriend and I have always referred to it as the Injury Piano.  For example "Oh no, RGIII just got hit by the injury piano."

 

eta:  And when about an hour ago, RGIII ran a read option and pretty much limped the whole way to the sideline, maybe that's a clue you should put in your backup.  It was just painful to watch.

post #2542 of 3167

I wasn't that serious. I know that modern sports medicine is really good and that realistically he'll be back in fighting shape, but there's been some seriously bad juju on this franchise. I could easily imagine them taking an X-Ray, and then the doc tearfully telling RG3 that he'll never play again because of an acute case of Sports Gremlins.

post #2543 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

This isn't 1968.  ACL injuries are nothing now.  Look at AP.

ACL injuries are not the automatic career-enders that they used to be but they are very far from being "nothing".  And AP is just a medical freak, so I would be wary of using him as an example for recovery.

post #2544 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez View Post

 

 

Well, Seattle would have to get past Atlanta and GB would have to get past SF, so let's not get over-excited about that quite yet. 

Oh I know.  I said "potentially".  I still think the same thing I posted yesterday.  Super Bowl being Niners Broncos with the Broncos winning by 4.  But it's not often that I'm that right, hence "potentially".

post #2545 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

 

1) Because everyone knows everyone in Seattle are a bunch of stoner hippies.

 

 

I have a lot of really good friends from Seattle, and while they aren't stoners they are the biggest fair weather fans I've ever met.

post #2546 of 3167

As someone who has lived in and around Austin for years and is not a stoner hippie, I was just being silly.

post #2547 of 3167

Yeah, if your mobile quarterback is rendered utterly immobile by an extremely apparent injury, and you have the lead .... for Christsakes, put in the fucking backup and lean on your running game, especially if you're running game is one of the best.

Unbelievably stupid. Negligent stupidity, even. You're probably not going to win, in that case, against a team talented as Seattle, but at least the face of your franchise and the future of the League doesn't have to gimp off the field. Andrews put that comment out into the press as a warning, and I can't believe its anything other than stubborn pride that caused the coaching staff to absolutely disregard what they were seeing with their own damned eyes.

post #2548 of 3167
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. Randlett View Post

 

[Seattle], they are the biggest fair weather fans I've ever met.

 

Woah, irony!

post #2549 of 3167

Everyone pointing to AP as proof of the powers of modern medical  science are severely misreading that example. AP was able to come back the way he did due to physiological abnormalities in his knee tissue. That is, he possessed meniscus tissue (could be wrong on the specifics there) of the sort that would be found in a pre-adolescent, not someone of his age and wear & tear, where you would expect significant corrosion of the tissue to begin with. Its a freak of nature sort of deal. 

post #2550 of 3167

I know we've acquired a lot of bandwagon jumpers this year, but most people in Northern VA and Maryland stick with their teams even when they're awful. I'm talking lifetimers here. If someone around here is a fair weather fan they're probably one of our famous "transients" who are happy to have a good team to root for. But I liked the Nats, Caps and Skins when they've sucked. Which is most of the time.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › 2012-2013 NFL season