or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › REVIEW: THE RAID: REDEMPTION
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: THE RAID: REDEMPTION - Page 2

post #51 of 197

But we can all agree that this movie kicks ass.

post #52 of 197

So much ass.

post #53 of 197

Whoever dislikes this is evil. Such a good time.

post #54 of 197

We hate you Gabe.  Nyehehehehehe

post #55 of 197

Whoa now, if we're gonna call folk like Roger Ebert evil because he didn't like this, then I can't support that.

 

Full disclosure: I have not seen the film.

post #56 of 197

Yeah, okay, obviously I don't really believe that anyone who doesn't like this is evil. They're just wrong.


You could complain that it becomes monotonous and you could complain about the lack of characterization, but that would make you a killjoy, because there's so much that works in this movie, including how well it's shot, edited and performed. It's just exhilarating and the escalation is fantastic.

 

What I like the best is Evans' use of suspense, especially in that machete-wall sequence, but also in the scene where Mad Dog captures the Lt. at gun point. You're not sure what's going to happen there at first, and even though I didn't think he'd pull the trigger, the fact that Evans wasn't afraid to take his time with these sequences shows that he's not just interested in frenzied action sequences. He was a master of both, which makes The Raid a lot more than a non-stop bludgeoning fest, which is what I've heard some people criticize it for. 

post #57 of 197

 Can you imagine what Evans can do if He had Die Hard budget??? 

post #58 of 197

Where the fuck is the Die Hard comparison coming from, anyway? Is it because the movie takes place in a building? Because other than that, they couldn't be more different. They're both action movies, but completely different styles of action movies. Comparing the two of them doesn't really seem to make any sense. 

post #59 of 197

Both are great action movies and people can't think beyond Die Hard?  

 

And as you said... building.

post #60 of 197

 The Raid has far more fight scenes than Die Hard, build up and intensity was that X1000 for The Raid...

post #61 of 197

Building trumps LOGIC & REASON!

post #62 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

Where the fuck is the Die Hard comparison coming from, anyway? Is it because the movie takes place in a building? Because other than that, they couldn't be more different. They're both action movies, but completely different styles of action movies. Comparing the two of them doesn't really seem to make any sense. 



i think the comparison is just to one of the quintissential great "American Action Films" in DIE HARD and not so much to the actual content.

 

When people always want to think of one of the best action movies to compare something to, its always DIE HARD first and then everything else.

 

I agree with those saying its been a long long time since an action movie has had as much visual impact on cinema as THE RAID did.  I think thats where the DIE HARD comparisons come from.  Gareth evans has combined everything we love about action into one amazing package and it will likely be aped/copied/remade multiple times over...like DIE HARD.

post #63 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer View Post



i think the comparison is just to one of the quintissential great "American Action Films" in DIE HARD and not so much to the actual content.

 

When people always want to think of one of the best action movies to compare something to, its always DIE HARD first and then everything else.

 

I agree with those saying its been a long long time since an action movie has had as much visual impact on cinema as THE RAID did.  I think thats where the DIE HARD comparisons come from.  Gareth evans has combined everything we love about action into one amazing package and it will likely be aped/copied/remade multiple times over...like DIE HARD.



But the comparison seems pointless. I understand that Die Hard is a great American action movie, but linking these two implies that action movies should all be seen through the same narrow lens. Meanwhile, the difference in content suggests that great action movies don't have to be similar in the slightest; in fact, the more unique, fresh and different they are from each other, the more they'll be enjoyed. That's why I don't get pegging this movie to Die Hard, or anything else for that matter.


Edited by Parker - 4/1/12 at 4:06pm
post #64 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Miller View Post

Your wife sounds cool.



You should hear her delivery of "Shoot... the glass."

post #65 of 197

The audience broke into genuine, non-ironic applause during this movie.  I wasn't at a film festival or anything either -- it was just a regular mid-week film crowd.  First time I've ever witnessed that.

 

What's weird is that this team's previous film, Merantau, had slow and clunky fights (elevator boss fight excepted).  Then for their next film, the exact same team delivers choreography and fight performances that are WORLD CLASS.  The action is as fast and detailed as classic HK cinema, but with modern brutality.  The gags, the camera angles, the editing.. all superb.  It's like one day they're playing a decent game of glow-in-the-dark miniputt, then the next day they're Tiger Woods winning the Masters.  WTF?

 

If I have any complaint, it's that the action choreography gets a little bit repetitive towards the end, but that's after the film has delivered more action than 4 other Hollywood films combined.

 

 

 

 

 

post #66 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_viagra View Post

The audience broke into genuine, non-ironic applause during this movie.  I wasn't at a film festival or anything either -- it was just a regular mid-week film crowd.  First time I've ever witnessed that.

 

What's weird is that this team's previous film, Merantau, had slow and clunky fights (elevator boss fight excepted).  Then for their next film, the exact same team delivers choreography and fight performances that are WORLD CLASS.  The action is as fast and detailed as classic HK cinema, but with modern brutality.  The gags, the camera angles, the editing.. all superb.  It's like one day they're playing a decent game of glow-in-the-dark miniputt, then the next day they're Tiger Woods winning the Masters.  WTF?

 

If I have any complaint, it's that the action choreography gets a little bit repetitive towards the end, but that's after the film has delivered more action than 4 other Hollywood films combined.

 

 

 

 

 


Agreed, the leap in quality is inexplicable.  

 

I watched Merantau after hearing it was the Indonesian Ong Bak and was really disappointed.  Not that Ong Bak was an especially good film (dear lord who thought the slo-mo instant replay was a good idea?) but the fights felt exciting and dangerous in a way Merantau never approached.  The Raid, on the other hand, is simply a fantastic film from top to bottom.  The plot is pretty by-the-numbers, but the execution?  The staging and cinematography?  The polish?  I've honestly never seen anything quite like it.  At least not in a ball-to-the-wall action flick like this.

post #67 of 197

 Gareth Evans would shit on any Hollywood directors working today!!!!! Right now he is the fucking BOSS and not only that, in interviews and such he seemed like a classy/humble human being and is able to make bad ass action movies like that???? Easily my favorite director working today...

post #68 of 197

FWIW, I read that in Thai cinema, replays were done if an actor was injured during the stunt as a way of showing them honor. This may be heresay but its what I've heard.

 

1 Replay meant someone got hurt

2 Replays Meant someone was seriously injured

3 Replays meant someone went to the hospital or died.

 

I know it sounds like urban legend but I've read it multiple places.

post #69 of 197

not sure about that mccallb...i think its more of an homage to the stunt team ala Jackie Chan's films where he puts the "no goods" in at the credits to show the audience how much work and danger the crew would go through to get the shot.

post #70 of 197

Saw this last weekend, and it lived up to the hype.

 

After watching the movie, I want that whole "nuke the fridge" phrase to be transferred to The Raid and for it to be taken as a compliment.

post #71 of 197

Roger Ebert explains why he gave "THE RAID" One Star.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/03/hollywoods_highway_to_hell.html

 

"So what am I saying? "The Raid: Redemption" failed as a generic success because it simplified its plot too much? Not really. It is a generic success. And yet my heart sank and I asked myself: Is this all they want? Are audiences satisfied with ceaseless violence, just so long as they can praise it for being "well choreographed?" Is there no appreciation for human dimension, meaning, and morality? Westerns were the first Hollywood morality plays, and it was always clear who was good and who was bad. Now it doesn't matter so much, and the cops and robbers in "The Raid" agree with Red Sanders: "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."

post #72 of 197

Did he watch the same movie?

post #73 of 197

If only Angelina Jolie had starred in it.

post #74 of 197

Jolie as Rama. Alba as Mad Dog. That'd changed his tune.

post #75 of 197

Yeah, some choreographed boob flapping mixed in with the action, and this thing would have three and a half stars easy.

post #76 of 197

It'd go from:

"It's a generic success."

 

to...

 

"IT'S A GENERIC SUCCESS!!!!"

post #77 of 197

And he'd be raving about how the "talents" of the actresses "elevates" the material.

post #78 of 197

Oh, their talents will 'elevate' something.

 

That decadent sunuvabitch...

 

 

Quote:
"The Raid" didn't even supply a single good-looking publicity still."
---- Ebert

 

Wut?

post #79 of 197

That jawless, horny old bastard.

 

Hey, did you guys hear the one about Ebert at the red carpet? There was a simultaneous string of nip slips and his jaw hit the floor!

(sigh). That's awful. Even though I disagree with him all the time, he's still awesome...

post #80 of 197

Boy do I disagree with him ALL the time.  He's a great writer, I enjoy his work, but his taste has been awful since forever.  This is the same guy that gave Die Hard two stars.

 

Went to see this for the second time after work today.  Every action film should come with a sassy "urban" crowd.

post #81 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuddL View Post

 

Went to see this for the second time after work today.  Every action film should come with a sassy "urban" crowd.



I saw the film in a tiny screening room half-full with press doofuses such as myself, and people were still making tons of noise. Can only imagine how awesome a crowd like that must be with this movie.

post #82 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Miller View Post



I saw the film in a tiny screening room half-full with press doofuses such as myself, and people were still making tons of noise. Can only imagine how awesome a crowd like that must be with this movie.


I think my favorite line of the night was at the very end, right after Mad Dog finally gets it, a dude in the back mutters, "And the Academy Award goes too..."

 

post #83 of 197

When Wahyu was kicking some ass in the drug lab, one guy at my crowd yelled out 'Brian Dennehey!'

 

Great audience movie. Fifty fifty split of surly black dudes and gigantic nerds, united by the awesomeness of the Raid Redemption.

post #84 of 197

An Open Letter to Roger Ebert.

 

A fan reflects on the film.

 

 

post #85 of 197

Hahaha, I COMPLETELY forgot about Ebert's review, and at about the two-thirds mark, I remember vaguely thinking that Ebert probably wouldn't be crazy about this movie because it was so violent.

 

This has always been a weird tic of his. He responds with a knee-jerk dislike to violence. He gave one of the most uptight, prudish, "What-is-western-civilization-coming-to" reviews to Night of the Living Dead back when it came out. He loathed Hellraiser. His Fight Club review remains baffling in its dismissal of that movie's "violence" (even though it's...not actually that violent).

post #86 of 197

When Mad Dog finally goes down, my theater gave a roaring standing applause.  I've never seen that really happen, it was AWESOME.

post #87 of 197

Is Gareth Evans actually Indonesian? Because it's hard not to jump to the knee-jerk conclusion that he's a guy who went overseas to a country where he was free to kill as many stuntmen as he wanted. I honestly have no idea how people survived some of the apparent damage they took in this movie.

post #88 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prankster View Post

Is Gareth Evans actually Indonesian? Because it's hard not to jump to the knee-jerk conclusion that he's a guy who went overseas to a country where he was free to kill as many stuntmen as he wanted. I honestly have no idea how people survived some of the apparent damage they took in this movie.

 

Definitely not Indonesian.  I think I read in an interview somewhere that he doesn't even really speak the language, but learned enough to get by in making his last two films.

post #89 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuddL View Post

 

Definitely not Indonesian.  I think I read in an interview somewhere that he doesn't even really speak the language, but learned enough to get by in making his last two films.



moved to the country because his wife is indonesian.  made a documentary on Silat and thats what introduced him to the martial art and more importantly the stunt team he now employs in front and behind the camera.

post #90 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prankster View Post

Is Gareth Evans actually Indonesian?


Doesn't anyone read my interviews?!?! *folds arms/stomps off in huff/waits for flowers*

 

post #91 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Miller View Post


Doesn't anyone read my interviews?!?! *folds arms/stomps off in huff/waits for flowers*

 


I did! just now...

 

Can someone help me out here:

 

I still have no idea why, legally, they couldn't hold onto the title "The Raid".  It's too short, obvious, and not especially original to be copyrighted and it's a title, so there are a limitations on trademark protection.  I wonder if they were worried about the threat of suit, which another studio might use in order to extort some easy money from Sony, as opposed to being worried they were actually infringing on the title of the 1954 film, or if this was just poor legal advice by conservative corporate attorneys.

 

 

post #92 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuddL View Post

I still have no idea why, legally, they couldn't hold onto the title "The Raid".  It's too short, obvious, and not especially original to be copyrighted and it's a title, so there are a limitations on trademark protection.  I wonder if they were worried about the threat of suit, which another studio might use in order to extort some easy money from Sony, as opposed to being worried they were actually infringing on the title of the 1954 film, or if this was just poor legal advice by conservative corporate attorneys.



My guess is Sony (who is doing the remake) does not want to have two films titled "The Raid" so they added "Redemption" to distinguish the two.  I have absolutely no evidence to back that up, but it wouldnt surprise me in the least.

post #93 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuddL View Post


I did! just now...

 

Can someone help me out here:

 

I still have no idea why, legally, they couldn't hold onto the title "The Raid".  It's too short, obvious, and not especially original to be copyrighted and it's a title, so there are a limitations on trademark protection.  I wonder if they were worried about the threat of suit, which another studio might use in order to extort some easy money from Sony, as opposed to being worried they were actually infringing on the title of the 1954 film, or if this was just poor legal advice by conservative corporate attorneys.

 

 

 

I believe thats exactly the issue Judd.  I think Fox owns the rights to a movie with the same name and I believe that was their concern, or they didn't want to pay them off or give them a cut of the gross/video reciepts.
 

 

post #94 of 197

From the tone of his answer I kind of sensed there were certainly political issues behind it, more so than straight-up legal ones.

post #95 of 197

 

This movie kicked my ass up and down the street and smashed my face into a wall.  SO AWESOME.

 

Well worth seeing on the big screen. Everyone else is watching shit like AMERICAN REUNION and THE HUNGER GAMES, go see this adrenaline rush of a flick before it's gone.

post #96 of 197

Yea, it kind of upsets me that my boys back home got together to go see the Hunger Games - probably just swept up in the zeitgeist, and having no clue what they were getting into - but couldn't make time to see this on my recommendation.  The fools!

post #97 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prankster View Post

Is Gareth Evans actually Indonesian?



 He is now I bet....

post #98 of 197

 

Just checked Box Office Mojo and yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this movie is out of the theaters in about two weeks. Damn shame.

 

Also, the American remake will suck.

post #99 of 197

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Just checked Box Office Mojo and yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this movie is out of the theaters in about two weeks. Damn shame.

The movie was just barely outside of the top ten in less than 200 theaters. The per-screen average wasn't that strong, but Sony is going to continue to expand this thing. It's gonna be around for awhile.
 

 

post #100 of 197

I was finally able to see this during the afternoon. It was at my local cineplex in what is not that large of a city. No surprise then that I only saw it with one other person, who did not make much noise at all. I will see this again on the big screen and I know it'll be with more of a crowd; I'll watch it in the evening.

 

This is something I've heard about for a few months now and as I found out more and more, I got more and more excited. When I finally saw it today, I was hoping I wouldn't be let down; thankfully that was not the case as this was as awesome as I was wishing it to be. It's just a thrill ride from beginning to end and I loved it all. There were so many great moments, from everything that Mad Dog did to the great moment when that guy descended from the hole to the floor below and he was caught before hitting the floor and he was tossed out the window in one motion. I literally laughed out loud.

 

I can't wait to see this with (hopefully) a rowdy young crowd. This kicks (and knifes) most American action films from recent years right in the teeth.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › REVIEW: THE RAID: REDEMPTION