CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All - Page 147

post #7301 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post


Exactly what I've always thought, they should at the very least call themselves pink supremacists or maybe beige...

Joking aside, I never understood why these groups arbitrarily choose who's "white" and who isn't, like for some reason everybody else who isn't straight, has mostly european ancestry & was raised Christian can't also be "white" even if some of those people are so pale that they can't go outside in the summer without wearing long sleeves and a hat.

 

As if one needed anymore reason to believe these people were not only skull thumpingly stupid but incredibly anti-intellectual.  This isn't even getting into science and everybody's origins in Africa and melanin/facial features being a result of migrations to different climates.  They must hate science too.

post #7302 of 7710
post #7303 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

This is interesting...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/basic-white-girl-accounts?utm_term=.gsNX175VP#.fh5Z1eG5l

Yeah I have long suspected this was going on.

post #7304 of 7710

I will eat up every one of these stories. This whole "bots to push an agenda" fascinates me. 

post #7305 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

I will eat up every one of these stories. This whole "bots to push an agenda" fascinates me. 

Well they aren't bots right? Just fake accounts. I have long suspected that when people get flooded on social media with hate tweets that the number of actual people doing it is much lower than they realize. I remember one woman found out that her troll had over 100 fake accounts that he would use.

post #7306 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

Well they aren't bots right? Just fake accounts. I have long suspected that when people get flooded on social media with hate tweets that the number of actual people doing it is much lower than they realize. I remember one woman found out that her troll had over 100 fake accounts that he would use.

I'm pretty sure the fake accounts in question aren't bots, but I also am certain those accounts use bots to inflate the number of likes and followers that they get.
post #7307 of 7710

The 82 Airborne Division has a distinct history of fighting racism, and members weren't happy to see a white supremacist wearing a hat with their insignia on it in Charlottesville:

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/82nd-airborne-nazi-salute-charlottesville_us_5992ad61e4b08a247276f35e

 

Quote:

The 82nd Airborne Division fought several campaigns against Nazi Germany during World War II. So after a man in a hat bearing the elite Army paratrooper unit’s insignia was pictured throwing a Ku Klux Klan salute (which resembles and is sometimes mistaken for a Nazi salute) during the weekend’s Charlottesville protests, the division delivered a pointed message. 

 

“Anyone can purchase that hat,” 82nd Airborne wrote on its official Twitter page. “Valor is earned.”

 

The infantry unit, nicknamed the All American Division, was reacting to a photograph that Brandon Friedman, a former Obama administration official, shared of the demonstrator on Twitter. The image was retweeted more than 20,000 times Monday.

post #7308 of 7710

Lost in the shuffle:

 

https://therivardreport.com/armed-group-appears-at-council-to-oppose-statues-removal/

 

Quote:

The ongoing controversy surrounding the proposed removal of the Confederate monument in Travis Park was at the center of Wednesday evening’s citizens to be heard session in City Council Chambers.

 

As speakers addressed Council members on the dais inside, about 10 individuals donning kevlar vests and assault rifles stood guard outside. They arrived as escorts for This Is Texas Freedom Force (TITFF) Vice President Brandon Burkhart, who addressed Councilmen Roberto Treviño (D1) and William “Cruz” Shaw (D2) – authors of the Council Consideration Request to relocate the monument – during his time to speak.

 

“I’m going to address you guys again, especially you two, Shaw and Treviño,” Burkhart said echoing through the chamber. “Do you guys see the problems that you’re causing? … Do you know the death threats that I’ve received?”

 

Burkhart, one of the lead organizers for the rally defending the monument on Saturday, criticized council members for failing to support San Antonio police officers who arrested one individual and stopped an SATX4-led street march during Saturday’s demonstrations. He reiterated that his organization was prepared to recall Treviño and Shaw, should the monument be moved.

 

Kevlar vests and assault rifles outside a council session in San Antonio.

post #7309 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post
 

I remember one woman found out that her troll had over 100 fake accounts that he would use.

 

That is certifiably insane.  

post #7310 of 7710

After saying they weren't, Six Flags is removing the Confederate flag from all its parks.  It's removing all the flags actually, and replacing them with six American flags.

post #7311 of 7710
post #7312 of 7710
Again...what the hell is a Robert E. Lee statue doing all the way up there at Duke?
post #7313 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Again...what the hell is a Robert E. Lee statue doing all the way up there at Duke?

 

There are even some in southern California.  The fuck.

post #7314 of 7710
Is it any wonder that weeping Neo-Nazi Chris Cantwell used to be some pudgy fuck taking on parking meters?

http://www.dailydot.com/upstream/chris-cantwell-white-nationalist-stephen-colbert/

This is it. He was fat, became a parking meter vigilante to fill up all the time he had not getting laid, became an MRA to more directly address his true grievances, then got a gym membership and became a full-blown Neo-Nazi because it's better to behave like a psychopath than have it discovered that you're just some loser with years of pent-up, not getting laid rage.

This fucking guy.
post #7315 of 7710
post #7316 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Is it any wonder that weeping Neo-Nazi Chris Cantwell used to be some pudgy fuck taking on parking meters?

http://www.dailydot.com/upstream/chris-cantwell-white-nationalist-stephen-colbert/

This is it. He was fat, became a parking meter vigilante to fill up all the time he had not getting laid, became an MRA to more directly address his true grievances, then got a gym membership and became a full-blown Neo-Nazi because it's better to behave like a psychopath than have it discovered that you're just some loser with years of pent-up, not getting laid rage.

This fucking guy.

Yup. Like I said in the Trump thread--he's every fucking alpha male.

post #7317 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

There are even some in southern California.  The fuck.

Yeah, after hearing that there were confederate monuments in Southern California I tried looking up where they were located. One was in San Diego and one in Los Angeles, both have since been removed. http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/politics/2017/08/16/confederate-monument-falls-socal-but-another-symbol-slavery-supporting-south-remains/573928001/

The two removed are in two extremely busy areas, Horton Plaza is in the heart of downtown San Diego where a lot of the city's pedestrian shopping is located and the other one was in Hollywood Forever Cemetery in LA, where tons of tourists go every day to visit the graves of the famous celebrities. Though I wouldn't put it past SoCal to have more hiding on private land and in public spaces where there just isn't enough foot traffic for people to notice.
post #7318 of 7710
post #7319 of 7710

Figured you'd be the person to read a shit, sub-Breitbart publication like the Daily Wire. 

post #7320 of 7710

post #7321 of 7710

I've been struggling to process the outbreak of overt racism since last November. I brainwashed myself into thinking Obama's election would simply take us to a next level. 

 

Turns out I just wasn't paying attention. 

post #7322 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post
 

Figured you'd be the person to read a shit, sub-Breitbart publication like the Daily Wire. 

 

Keep punching those fascists, I'm sure eventually you'll get one.

post #7323 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson View Post

Keep punching those fascists, I'm sure eventually you'll get one.

Keep making false equivalencies, I'm sure you'll never look up the definition.
post #7324 of 7710
Promote violence against Nazi's then violence happens against a "Nazi". Totally unrelated.
post #7325 of 7710

Yep. This one case alone proves the insidious machinations of Antifa are working as planned. The Anti-Fascists Are The Real Fascists!™

 

Or, some lunatic tried to stab some guy and spouted the most recent thing that caught his attention. Nah, that's silly. I mean, no crazy guy ever shouted something weird and attacked a stranger before Antifa existed.

post #7326 of 7710

Yes that's exactly what I said. I guess promoting violence is all good as long as you agree with it.

 

Maybe CBC will pass Johnny's editorial standards. It's government owned, Canadian, and leans left. Every American Liberal's dream!

 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-far-right-la-meute-1.4254792

 

O wow, it's like showing up and getting violent doesn't magically solve problems! Sure makes you feel like a tough guy though I guess.

post #7327 of 7710
Go on, then. Explain to us how random guys who stab people through car windows have been emboldened by the actions of assholes who ruin legal protests.
post #7328 of 7710
Munson, we do not deny that there are violent crimes committed by people on the far-left and we agree that such acts are abhorrent regardless of who commits them. What we're saying is that the violent crimes committed by people on far-right in the recent past (since the early 80s) vastly outnumbers the violent crimes committed by people on the far-left.

Statistics support the fact that the far left extremists haven't been nearly as violent as the far right extremists since the 1970s. Also, besides the disparity between the number of violent attacks committed by each side, the other thing that differentiates the two is that the Alt-right is guilty of looking to incite violence in the left and also in the general populace, while for the most part the only thing the left is guilty of is taking the bait. The proof here can be seen simply by looking at the rallies/demonstrations planned by both sides.

Antifa doesn't hold any rallies or demonstrations that are unprovoked by a group on the extreme right, the things antifa and anarchist groups do go largely unplanned until they have something to coalesce around. The alt-right and right-wing extremists on the other hand hold a lot of rallies and demonstrations that are not done in response to Antifa or extreme left rally. The alt-right needs no provocation and instead takes it upon themselves to plan and do most of (if not all) the provoking. The alt-right holds rallies for purpose of trying to incite violence so that they can reap the publicity that comes from acting as if they were the victim, which they then try to use to jusitfy their hateful and downright evil opinions on religion, race, gender and sexual orientation.

Here's one of the best summaries I've come across:
Quote:
[The alt-right] Announce an event that’s going to piss everyone who has common sense off, something so outrageous it’s going to piss 99 percent of the population off, then when someone gets on Twitter [and threatens them], [the alt-right] sends out a press release saying, “we can’t practice our free speech rights because of leftist violence.” Then [the alt-right] show up anyway. They [the alt-right] have canceled so many rallies that they showed up at anyway and still rallied. The “threat of leftist violence” means they need to wear body armor and bring weapons. If it’s an open carry state they’ll have [firearms]. If it’s not an open carry state they’ll bring firecrackers and sticks.

And then when someone… pushes them or spits on them, they’ll use that as an excuse to strike out. Then the leftists will strike out, and the media won’t know who’s who.

The important distinction is that the leftists aren’t organizing the protests. They’re just responding to them.

You know [the alt-right] is guiltiest when they say, “look at them, we’re not the only ones.” They’re not arguing whether the [car attack] was actually committed, they’re just trying to bring everyone down in the muck with them. This is like a bottom feeding monster trying to convince the world that dolphins are ugly creatures
Source.

In short, everyone here knows about and denounces the violence being committed by both sides, but we are not about to agree that both sides are equally to blame because doing so would be perpetuating a false equivalency. Another term for a false equivalency is False balance which is "...a media bias in which journalists present an issue as being more balanced between opposing viewpoints than the evidence supports. Journalists may present evidence and arguments out of proportion to the actual evidence for each side, or may omit information that would establish one side's claims as baseless." source

What we are saying here is that the evidence of the recent past 30 or so years shows that the extreme right is guilty of way more violent crimes and also way more guilty of trying to incite violence than the extreme left. The last time the extreme left could regularly be called to be equally as violent as the extreme right is in the 70s and this attack on a Colorado man doesn't even come close to evening things out, not by a long shot. In America today as well as most of western civilization the extreme right is still way more dangerous than the extreme left, both in the number of violent crimes committed and in the hateful, exclusionary ideology it spouts.
Edited by Tim K - 8/20/17 at 11:33pm
post #7329 of 7710

I'm not saying that there is an equivalence between some moron stabbing a guy because he thought he "looked" like a Nazi and twenty year plus years of far right violence. Yea I brought up the Nazi punching thing after someone called me a fascist for posting a stupid story about the one guy who was actually mistakenly a victim of ridiculous political violence from the left. The website the article was on is "sub Breitbart"? Good to know, never been there before don't plan on going back. It just seemed to me like an apt story in a thread were doxxing is cool as long as it's "100% the right guy".

 

It's not about assigning blame, because it's obvious where the blame lies. These far right groups are to blame, end of story. My point is when these counter protests turn violent, like the one in Quebec City, it only empowers them. Who got violent there first? The counter protesters. And who does that help?

 

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/8xxxng/what-to-do-when-the-fascists-come-to-town

 

The fact that the far right is much more violent 99% of the time is irrelevant. The whole "punch a Nazi" meme plays right into their hands. I simply expect a smarter response from people on the left, who I identify with, then to give these groups exactly what they want. You say "everyone here knows about and denounces the violence being committed by both sides". Some do, some don't.

post #7330 of 7710
You still seem steamed over people losing their jobs from being "doxxed" where that doxxing involved little more than them them being photographed while marching in a public place.
post #7331 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson View Post
 

Yes that's exactly what I said. I guess promoting violence is all good as long as you agree with it

 

This is fucking dumb. Countless historians - not antifa, actual historians - have written about how fascism and paramilitary organizations designed around hatred of the other - from Nazis to neo-Confederates to many, many others - cannot be reasoned with. Reasoning with them eventually leads to the death of the person doing the reasoning, the person looking for compromise. Nazis are an explicitly violent idealogy that must be met with massive resistance and, if necessary, violence. What we saw in Boston this weekend was the former. But as for the latter, yeah, punch a goddamn Nazi. 

post #7332 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson View Post

 

The whole "punch a Nazi" meme plays right into their hands. 

 

You may as well blame Spielberg for making Raiders.

post #7333 of 7710
I just had a cousin post something claiming that FORT SUMTER was a false flag attack. For fucks sake, these people think the Conferderacy would have just stopped having slavery on their own if the North would have just let them. There's no reasoning with people this far gone.
post #7334 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlaser View Post

I just had a cousin post something claiming that FORT SUMTER was a false flag attack. For fucks sake, these people think the Conferderacy would have just stopped having slavery on their own if the North would have just let them. There's no reasoning with people this far gone.

 

No they don't. They wish they owned some people. Just like Holocaust Deniers invariably express opinions which show they really want there to be a Holocaust now. 

post #7335 of 7710

By the by, there's been Anarchist violence in the streets at pretty much every WTO Summit since 1999 at the least. 

 

AntiFa or whatever the name is arose specifically as a counter to this new Alt Right phenom. 

 

The fact remains that there are documented cases of murder and violence by Alt Righters. To my knowledge the AntiFa are not responsible for any deaths of innocent people. 

post #7336 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

No they don't. They wish they owned some people. Just like Holocaust Deniers invariably express opinions which show they really want there to be a Holocaust now. 
I mean, that's literally what he said to me when I asked for clarification on the Fort Sumter thing. The Civil War was strictly about tariffs, and 'Slavery would have eventually ended anyway' because it was 'basically dead' around the world anyway if only the mean Northerners had just left the South in peace.
Of course, the 'slavery would have ended on its own' argument is laughably stupid. It's just a blatant attempt to make something sound less blatantly racist. He's also less of a Nazi flag marcher and more of a general conspiracy nut with racist sympathies. The 'I have black friends' type who can be perfectly nice to individuals in the moment. And of course basically every event that has ever occurred in history was a false flag. Sandy Hook, 9/11, Pearl Harbor, Fort Sumter, literally everything.
post #7337 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

By the by, there's been Anarchist violence in the streets at pretty much every WTO Summit since 1999 at the least. 

AntiFa or whatever the name is arose specifically as a counter to this new Alt Right phenom. 

The fact remains that there are documented cases of murder and violence by Alt Righters. To my knowledge the AntiFa are not responsible for any deaths of innocent people. 

Yeah, while I have no love for either and wish the world didn't have any of them, I'll side with the brick throwers over the heavily-armed lynchers.
post #7338 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlaser View Post


I mean, that's literally what he said to me when I asked for clarification on the Fort Sumter thing. The Civil War was strictly about tariffs, and 'Slavery would have eventually ended anyway' because it was 'basically dead' around the world anyway if only the mean Northerners had just left the South in peace.
Of course, the 'slavery would have ended on its own' argument is laughably stupid. It's just a blatant attempt to make something sound less blatantly racist. He's also less of a Nazi flag marcher and more of a general conspiracy nut with racist sympathies. The 'I have black friends' type who can be perfectly nice to individuals in the moment. And of course basically every event that has ever occurred in history was a false flag. Sandy Hook, 9/11, Pearl Harbor, Fort Sumter, literally everything.

 

Here's a Truth Bomb to drop on him:

 

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-nazis-and-confederates-came-together-at-charlottesville-2017-8

 

I don't agree with all of this: "classic" Fascism was always headed up by a strong leader while the Confederacy was a loose conglomeration of interests united by the economic imperatives of Slavery. But that economic imperative demanded that the Confederacy and Slavery expand (part of that was the ecologically destructive nature of the Plantation system: they needed more land to replace the land they denuded)

post #7339 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson View Post

...The fact that the far right is much more violent 99% of the time is irrelevant. The whole "punch a Nazi" meme plays right into their hands. I simply expect a smarter response from people on the left, who I identify with, then to give these groups exactly what they want. You say "everyone here knows about and denounces the violence being committed by both sides". Some do, some don't.

I agree it's an issue. I pointed out before that the thing that the counterprotesters on the left are guilty of is taking the bait and I didn't mean to imply that it absolved them of any wrongdoing. When I said "everyone here knows about and denounces the violence committed by both sides" I was talking about everyone in this thread, not everyone on the left

As for expecting a smarter response from all of the left, that's wishful thinking. Both sides, the left and the right are made up of human beings, its the one thing that both side have in common. This means that just like the right, the left has its share of unhinged people as well as those who are just on the verge of losing it, either because their going though a rough patch or due to undainosed mental illness.

Forgive me for this little bit of creative license, but it is really easy for me to imagine how relatively normal people might turn violent given the right circumstances.

They stayed up late to make a sign for the counterprotest the next day because they're not about to show up empty handed.

As a result they show up feeling a little sleep deprived.

But that doesn't matter because as soon as it starts they're swept up and get injected full of adrenaline of the crowd.

They march with the counterprotest for a while and its so big and loud that it puts them on edge a little and the coffee they had is turning of the volume on their anxiety, so they grab a beer or two in a store nearby.

Then word reaches them that the group they're prostesting against is really close by.

This causes them to get another jolt of adrenaline and makes them want a closer look.

So they try to catch a glimpse by pushing and shoving and then..

...Suddenly they're there, at the front line of the counterprotest with the other group only a few meters away.

Perhaps they continue to chant with the crowd, or maybe they yell something they've been planning all day in their head to say to the other group.

But regardless of what they say they get insulted and threatened by the other side.

As this is happening the peer pressure that comes with being surrounded by thousands of screaming prostesters behind them presses in...

It mixes with the few beers they've had.

Then someone on the other side spits on them and tells them they'd gladly put them and all of the people they love into a furnace and would laugh as they turned it on...



You cannot expect everyone to be able to withstand such provocation in those circumstances, you can only hope that there are enough other people around to restrain and diffuse the situation when someone else loses control.

As for incidents like the parking lot attack you posted above, I think Jacob Singer was right and it most likely was some crazy guy looking for someone to attack and picked the first target that fit the profile they had created in their head. If Neo-Nazis weren't the boogiemen of this news cycle, then they would have attacked someone else that that fit the current "bad guy" profile.

Have you ever been going about your day and then out of nowhere someone you hadn't even noticed suddenly goes off and tries to attack you? I have and it was really fucking scary, but I don't think it was caused by anything other than me being in the wrong place when someone just snapped and this incident sounds a lot like that.

Finally I'd just like to add that things like the "punch a Nazi" meme will continue to happen. It's something that's unavoidable when cultural tensions get this high and the left isnt the only side guilty for spreading it. I know several staunch conservatives who shared it on their social media pages, most of them are or were in the military so being anti-Nazi is practically a tradition for them. And it isn't just conservatives in the military that hate Nazis, because It is simply common sense to be Anti-Nazi. The fact that Neo-Nazi organizations are evil and should be stopped is one of the few things the vast majority of people on the Left and the Right can agree upon (excluding the alt-right and other extremist groups).
Edited by Tim K - 8/21/17 at 6:46pm
post #7340 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

You still seem steamed over people losing their jobs from being "doxxed" where that doxxing involved little more than them them being photographed while marching in a public place.


"Seem". And yea that's were it stops, luckily the doxxers use the 100% accurate method. Oops.

 

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/08/17/543980653/kyle-quinn-hid-at-a-friend-s-house-after-being-misidentified-on-twitter-as-a-rac

 

Collateral damage I suppose.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

 

This is fucking dumb. Countless historians - not antifa, actual historians - have written about how fascism and paramilitary organizations designed around hatred of the other - from Nazis to neo-Confederates to many, many others - cannot be reasoned with. Reasoning with them eventually leads to the death of the person doing the reasoning, the person looking for compromise. Nazis are an explicitly violent idealogy that must be met with massive resistance and, if necessary, violence. What we saw in Boston this weekend was the former. But as for the latter, yeah, punch a goddamn Nazi. 

 

Esteemed historian Rath Bandu of the internet? A couple hundred morons jerking themselves off over a statue isn't a March on Rome. Aren't you the guy saying slippery slopes are impossible?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

Have you ever been going about your day and then out of nowhere someone you hadn't even noticed suddenly goes off and tries to attack you? I have and it was really fucking scary, but I don't think it was caused by anything other than me being in the wrong place when someone just snapped and this incident sounds a lot like that.

Finally I'd just like to add that things like the "punch a Nazi" meme will continue to happen. It's something that's unavoidable when cultural tensions get this high and the left isnt the only side guilty for spreading it. I know several staunch conservatives who shared it on their social media pages, most of them are or were in the military so being anti-Nazi is practically a tradition for them. And it isn't just conservatives in the military that hate Nazis, because It is simply common sense to be Anti-Nazi. The fact that Neo-Nazi organizations are evil and should be stopped is one of the few things the vast majority of people on the Left and the Right can agree upon (excluding the alt-right and other extremist groups).

 

Last September I got attacked by some dumbass while at work. I work for the city utility, and I work alone 99% of the time. I was sitting in my car, and the guy snuck up and attacked me. I fought him off, he pulled out a knife, and well unfortunately for me things got stabby. Turns out there was a community Facebook group that had been creeping on me since March. Now in all this time not one person ever tried to actually communicate with me about what I was doing. I don't have Facebook so I made an account, joined the group and explained what happened. While everyone was quick to say what a horrible thing it was, one person in a group of over 300 would admit that maybe posting pictures of me and my vehicle online and insinuating that I was somehow breaking into their garages despite zero evidence was bad. Instead it was a cacophony of "this was bad but I will do anything to protect my neighborhood". Except ask someone a few basic questions I suppose. Maybe I'm overtly sensitive to half ass internet tough guys thinking they are Batman now.

 

Counter protest is good and should happen. Someone spits on you or throws some of granny's sweet peach tea at you, yea I'm not going to condemn you for punching them and reacting to their violence. 99.9% of the people talking about punching Nazi's won't do anything dumb and are simply expressing the, as you said, universal common sense reaction to white power weirdos. But the whole after the fact half ass Rorschach wanna be's are a total joke. You can't have your cake and eat it too when it comes to vigilantism.

 

That said I appreciate your responses Tim.

post #7341 of 7710
I'm sorry to hear that has happened to you too Munson, in my case I was driving down a street a few miles from where I live and a guy who was biking in the bike lane on the other side of the road suddenly jumped off of his bike, ran across the street and toward my car. I hit the breaks because for a split second I thought he was going to run in front of my car. Then when he reached me he started yelling, accusing me of some strange nonsensical stuff and then proceeded to tear off my driver's side mirror and then try to break through the window. When I tried to drive away he quickly moved and got in front of my car, but I was lucky and the street was free of other cars so I enough space to quickly reverse into a 3 point turn and drive away as fast as I could.

He looked like a bald Olympic powerlifter in his 60s and I seriously think I just was the closest person when he suddenly had an episode of roid rage, because he definitely had the strength to rip off my driver's side mirror as if it was made of tin foil and cause a few dents on the door.
post #7342 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson View Post

 

Esteemed historian Rath Bandu of the internet? A couple hundred morons jerking themselves off over a statue isn't a March on Rome. Aren't you the guy saying slippery slopes are impossible?

 

this is dumb

post #7343 of 7710

Also, Tim's story about protesters joining the other side "just to check it out" is some high quality fan fiction. 

post #7344 of 7710
Munson, that's fucking bonkers and I'm glad you survived to tell the tale.

To be clear, and I'm only speaking for myself, I do not advocate vigilantism. I'm not looking for Nazis to punch, although I likely would if I found one on my front lawn (or that of my Jewish neighbors) holding a torch.

Identifying people participating in public activities makes them accountable for those actions in the social sphere. Using that information to sic mobs on them is wrong. But the simple act of putting a name to a face to an activity is just public knowledge.

What happened to you is stalking, and that's fucked up.
post #7345 of 7710

If you're going to read one thing today - make it this: 

https://www.gq.com/story/dylann-roof-making-of-an-american-terrorist

post #7346 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

If you're going to read one thing today - make it this: 

https://www.gq.com/story/dylann-roof-making-of-an-american-terrorist

Pulitzer worthy.
post #7347 of 7710

http://www.avclub.com/article/gop-web-site-demonstrates-asian-americans-cast-pho-259783

 

Quote:
Suggesting yet another reason you shouldn’t outsource all your online picture needs to 30 seconds of hurried Google Image searches, the internet suddenly noticed today that the official web site for the Arizona branch of the Republican Party was advertising its commitment to diversity with a cast picture from a 23-year-old Margaret Cho sitcom. As reported by Vice News, the “People” section of the site—which has been pulled down, apparently, but which previously stated that the party would never “demand special rights for certain races, push policies that favor members of one group over another, or single out certain ethnic or social groups with the promise of special favors or political privileges”—contained a picture labeled “Asian-Americans,” which was clearly a cast photo from Cho’s 1994 sitcom All-American Girl.
post #7348 of 7710

A broadcaster named Robert Lee was pulled from a Charlottesville game after the rally.  Conservatives had a field day.  ESPN responded:

 

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/900219648473522178

 

post #7349 of 7710

That last paragraph doesn't really track.  "No PC efforts, no race issues.  Just trying to avoid all the fallout from all the current racial tension."

post #7350 of 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

If you're going to read one thing today - make it this: 

https://www.gq.com/story/dylann-roof-making-of-an-american-terrorist

 

I haven't finished it yet (maybe 2/3 the way through) but it's excellent and fucking haunting. 

 

Everyone should read this.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All