or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All - Page 20

post #951 of 2855

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

Of course, you know,  it doesn't change the fact that he killed a kid.  Just as much as Trayvon Martin's supposed "thugness" didn't warrant a death sentence, Zimmerman's "saintly" existence doesn't excuse the fact that he was morally in the wrong that night.

 

Exactly. He made a choice that night. He might regret what he did but he must face the consequences of his actions. 

 

And I don't see how photos should change anything??

 

craigslist-killer-philip-markoff-and-fiancee-megan-mcallister-photo.jpg

 

This guy looks sweet doesn't he with his fiancee? Nice guy. 

 

Also known as the craigslist killer. 

post #952 of 2855

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Zimmerman's awful website raised $200,000.  He's already spent 50K:

 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/27/justice/florida-zimmerman-money/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

 

I woke up in a bad mood today, that news didn't help.

 

From the link:

O'Mara could not explain why Zimmerman didn't disclose the funds, but said he didn't think his client had meant to deceive anyone.

 

"My client is a liar, but I don't want anyone to think he's a liar."

post #953 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

 

Of course, you know,  it doesn't change the fact that he killed a kid.  Just as much as Trayvon Martin's supposed "thugness" didn't warrant a death sentence, Zimmerman's "saintly" existence doesn't excuse the fact that he was morally in the wrong that night.

 

He made a horrifically bad judgment call when he chose to pursue the kid, but that's not a crime by itself and didn't make what happened afterward inevitable. Whatever did actually happen, people aren't shedding light on anything by scrutinizing unintelligible mutterings in a phone call that vaguely sound like racial slurs or proclaiming they can diagnose injuries based on faraway shots in grainy video footage.

 

Based on what I've read so far, I'm taking this event as just as likely an epic tragedy of errors that could've been prevented if cooler heads prevailed as it may have been another sad tale of racism that should never have happened.

post #954 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMR View Post

 

He made a horrifically bad judgment call when he chose to pursue the kid, but that's not a crime by itself and didn't make what happened afterward inevitable.

 

I disagree. I would submit to you that pursuing and accosting anyone as if they were a suspect of a crime and you were an officer of the law is very much a crime. Initiating a confrontation with false authority & hostile behaviour is like throwing matches at an open gas tank. Sure, it didn't make what occurred inevitable but it damn well made what happened pretty damn likely. Even if you remove that dimension of the argument, you're still left with one citizen accosting & provoking a hostile confrontation with another citizen.

 

My point is simply that stupidity is no excuse for poor judgement that results in manslaughter.

 

post #955 of 2855

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. If I get caught speeding, I can't just say, "I didn't know I couldn't do that." Well, I could. But more than likely I would get a ticket anyway. Zimmerman broke protocol for his Neighborhood Watch duties AND disregarded directions from a police dispatcher to not pursue. But it is not clear whether that in and of itself is breaking the law. Schwartz and David Simon are right that the real controversy here is whether Stand Your Ground applies to this case. While we can speculate about Zimmerman's intent in pursuing Martin, the trial should really focus on whether Zimmerman broke the law by shooting Martin as it relates to Stand Your Ground. Unfortunately, the law allows for very subjective rulings about what constitutes reasonable "threat" and it is up to the prosecutor to prove without a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman did NOT feel threatened. As Schwartz has mentioned previously, Zimmerman's acquittal would do more to show how fucked up this law is than if he were found guilty. I'm really curious to see how this case plays out and what arguments both sides will use as this trial could set a dangerous precedent, depending on the outcome, for allowing allegedly racist people hunt down people of color with no serious consequence.

post #956 of 2855

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

Zimmerman broke protocol for his Neighborhood Watch duties 

 

What neighborhood watch duties?  Zimm is not affiliated with any official neighborhood watch program.  He was acting on his own.

 

post #957 of 2855

Not to mention that it's called "Neighborhood WATCH", not "Neighborhood PURSUE, CONFRONT, & SHOOT (IF NEED BE)".

post #958 of 2855

Somewhere in this thread I posted a link with the manual for neighborhood watch regulations. It is that which I was referring, and yes, there are specific rules about not pursuing or engaging with potential suspects. Moreover, watchpeople are not allowed to carry firearms or weapons. Zimmerman broke both rules. It remains to be seen whether he was a self-appointed watchperson, but both the police and neighbors acknowledged his role. But in the end, it doesn't matter. As I said above, the verdict will come down to whether his claim of self-defense holds water as defined by SYG.
 

post #959 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

It remains to be seen whether he was a self-appointed watchperson, but both the police and neighbors acknowledged his role.

It doesn't remain to be seen. His neighborhood has no neighborhood watch program. He's the Hockey Pants Guy from Dark Knight.
post #960 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post

I disagree. I would submit to you that pursuing and accosting anyone as if they were a suspect of a crime and you were an officer of the law is very much a crime.

 

If you mean impersonating or misrepresenting himself as an officer of the law, I don't think it's clear he did anything like that. Although, exactly what he thought he was going to do when he caught up with Martin (make a citizen's arrest?) isn't clear either.  

Quote:
Initiating a confrontation with false authority & hostile behaviour is like throwing matches at an open gas tank. Sure, it didn't make what occurred inevitable but it damn well made what happened pretty damn likely. Even if you remove that dimension of the argument, you're still left with one citizen accosting & provoking a hostile confrontation with another citizen.

 

My point is simply that stupidity is no excuse for poor judgement that results in manslaughter.

 

Though "Hey, what are you doing in my neighborhood?" is hardly friendly, I don't think anyone asks even something like that expecting someone will likely end up dead. But, again, exactly what Zimmerman thought would happen when he began the pursuit is a mystery to me.

 

With regards to the legitimacy of Zimmerman's Neighborhood Watch status, there was an article in the Orlando Sentinel mentioning:

Quote:
The Neighborhood Watch at Retreat at Twin Lakes, where Zimmerman lived and was chosen as coordinator by his neighbors, was formed in September, Dorival said. It is not registered with the national group, but there is no registration requirement. The Sanford Police Department provides training and community signs, and informs residents about crime trends and prevention.

 

It doesn't sound like the Neighborhood Watch has very strict requirements other than the agreement of local homeowners, which he apparently had.

 

post #961 of 2855

Where's the 'Sinister Mr.Roger's Neighborhood Theme' when you need it?

 

Oh...wait...the original works gangbusters as well...

post #962 of 2855

Thanks for doing the leg work PMR. I knew I read that Zim had the support of police and neighbors as their watchperson.

 

As for what he thought was going to happen, Zimmerman basically just wanted to make sure Trayvon didn't get away. Apparently in a previous event, a guy Zimmerman was trailing "got away" because police arrived to late after he called it in. As we get more info, it seems more and more likely that Trayvon initiated the confrontation. It's understandable. If some random dude is following you, it is reasonable for you to want to know why. But I don't buy that Zimmerman was walking back to his car and Tray jumped him from behind. It's likely Trayvon turned around at some point and asked George why he was following him.

post #963 of 2855

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMR View Post

 

He made a horrifically bad judgment call when he chose to pursue the kid, but that's not a crime by itself and didn't make what happened afterward inevitable. Whatever did actually happen, people aren't shedding light on anything by scrutinizing unintelligible mutterings in a phone call that vaguely sound like racial slurs or proclaiming they can diagnose injuries based on faraway shots in grainy video footage.

 

Based on what I've read so far, I'm taking this event as just as likely an epic tragedy of errors that could've been prevented if cooler heads prevailed as it may have been another sad tale of racism that should never have happened.

 

While I agree that what happened wasn't inevitable, it still doesn't change that Martin's death still occurred.  Zimmerman, rather than allow the police to do their jobs, decided to deal with the situation himself, which served as the catalyst for the events that would take place.  I don't doubt that Zimmerman meant to do well (or at least thought he was doing the right thing) when he confronted Martin, and I certainly don't believe he confronted him as a frothing racist; but I think we can all agree that the right thing to do would have been to call the police and let them handle the situation.  

 

 

post #964 of 2855

 

When Zimmerman evidence is released, what will it show?

 

 

Quote:

What evidence does Special Prosecutor Angela Corey have that prompted her to charge George Zimmerman with murdering Trayvon Martin? So far, she has refused to say.

Before long, though, she will be required by law to release the evidence — which fills several boxes. What will it show? "It'll be like little bits and pieces that will have to be strung together," said Adam Pollack, an Orlando criminal-trial attorney. "Almost a bunch of little dots. Initially, the little dots don't make much sense, but if you step back, you see a bigger picture." The public could get access in the next few days — although there may be delays — because prosecutors are legally required to share evidence with the defense and, once that happens, the information becomes public through a process called discovery. The most compelling evidence should fall into these categories:

 

Crime-scene evidence

That includes anything found at the scene where the two came into contact and the sidewalk where Zimmerman, a Sanford Neighborhood Watch volunteer, fatally shot the unarmed black teenager Feb. 26. He's charged with second-degree murder. Local lawyers say some of the evidence they're most eager to see are photos or anything else that documents Zimmerman's injuries or their absence. He called Sanford police, describing Trayvon as suspicious and then began following the Miami Gardens teenager on foot. Zimmerman said he shot Trayvon in self-defense after the teen punched him, knocked him to the ground and then began pounding his head on a sidewalk. "I definitely want to know what injuries the defendant suffered, what type of injuries and to what extent they were documented," said Pollack. Sanford police took photos of the defendant that night. They should be in the evidence soon to be released. A security-camera video, shot from long range at Sanford's police headquarters, showed Zimmerman with no obvious signs of injury, but when ABC News enhanced it, there appeared to be a gash on the back of his head. Other important pieces of evidence in this category include the bullet casing from the fatal shot and any markings from the grass or sidewalk that might hint at how violent the fight was and who had the upper hand.

 

Witness statements

The most important witness in the case may be Zimmerman. According to prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda, the defendant gave five statements to authorities. Police described one as a re-enactment. "I want to know," said former Seminole County prosecutor Donna Goerner, "exactly what did he say." "If his statements have a lot of inconsistencies in them," said Orlando criminal-defense attorney David Fussell, "then that can be problematic for the defense." However, he also cautioned that it's not unusual for people in traumatic situations to alter their stories slightly over time, whether intentionally or not. Investigators also interviewed a Miami teenager, thought to be Trayvon's 16-year-old girlfriend, who told them she was on the cellphone with Trayvon just before the shooting and he told her he was frightened because a stranger was following him, according to court records. Also key to the case will be eye-witness statements. Several neighbors saw and heard Trayvon and Zimmerman fighting. If they saw Zimmerman on top, that would damage his self-defense claim.

 

Autopsy results

Trayvon died of a single gunshot wound to the chest, but the results of his autopsy should reveal how close the gun was when it went off and the bullet's trajectory, lawyers said.

Dale Gilbreath, a prosecution investigator, testified there was "stippling" around the entry wound, tiny gunpowder burns that Fussell said can be found only when the muzzle of a gun is close to the victim, usually an arm's length or less. By plotting the bullet's trajectory, experts should be able to estimate the gun's relative position when it was fired, he said. More important, said Goerner, are other marks on Trayvon's body, "signs of a struggle … signs of bruising." If Zimmerman is telling the truth and Trayvon had him pinned to the ground and was beating him, the teenager's body should have cuts or bruises consistent with that, she said. The funeral director who prepared Trayvon's body, Richard Kurtz, told the Orlando Sentinel he saw no such signs of a fight.

 

Crime-lab results

Police gathered Trayvon's and Zimmerman's clothes, and they have likely been analyzed for dirt, grass, blood and DNA by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The presence of any of those things would lend credence to Zimmerman's account that there had been a fight and the pair wound up on the ground, said Pollack. If Zimmerman told the truth and Trayvon was on top, there's a strong likelihood that the teenager's blood and DNA would be on Zimmerman's clothes. Likewise, if Zimmerman were bleeding and Trayvon kept punching him, the teenager may have had Zimmerman's blood and DNA on his clothing or skin. "There's only two people who truly know," said Pollack. "Unfortunately, one of them is not able to testify."

 

post #965 of 2855

We live in civilised societies and if you get punched for stalking someone and accusing them of being a criminal for no reason then shooting them dead in response is most definitely disproportionate. Jesus, your country is full of scared, pathetic pussies. YOU SHOT A KID DEAD. No matter what you thought at the time, your life was clearly not in danger. Deal with the consequences, the least of which should be a manslaughter conviction.

post #966 of 2855

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

 

 

craigslist-killer-philip-markoff-and-fiancee-megan-mcallister-photo.jpg

 

This guy looks sweet doesn't he with his fiancee? Nice guy. 

 

Also known as the craigslist killer. 

 

Ugh, and this guy was from my hometown, AKA, Whitesville New York. The only people of color are a family native to India and one Chinese family. 


Edited by Parker - 4/30/12 at 6:55am
post #967 of 2855

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

We live in civilised societies and if you get punched for stalking someone and accusing them of being a criminal for no reason then shooting them dead in response is most definitely disproportionate. Jesus, your country is full of scared, pathetic pussies. YOU SHOT A KID DEAD. No matter what you thought at the time, your life was clearly not in danger. Deal with the consequences, the least of which should be a manslaughter conviction.

 

 

And they all have guns.  This country is drowning in guns.  And now every yahoo knows that "stand your ground" means "don't leave a witness"

post #968 of 2855

I'm fine with guns for hunting purposes.  I don't understand the need for automatics, and to a big degree hand guns.  I come from a family of hunters (I personally don't hunt), but I also lived deep in the woods with no neighbors in sight and we ate anything shot during the designated seasons.  You get into urban areas and there is less of a need, and more of a risk for things like this to happen.  

post #969 of 2855

Arizona has a Stand Your Ground law.  You're shocked I know, but it gets better, because it's called the "Make My Day" law.

Now a man has been killed at a Taco Bell, shooter not charged, alleged weapon the victim had may not actually exist:

 

http://wonkette.com/471295/good-time-monday-fun-day-stories-from-arizonas-stand-your-ground-law-make-my-day

 

"All this has happened before, and all this will happen again."

 

Non-Wonkette link:

 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/29/us/stand-your-ground/index.html?hpt=hp_c2


Edited by MrBananaGrabber - 4/30/12 at 12:47pm
post #970 of 2855

Urghhh..Arizona.

post #971 of 2855

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahosive View Post

I'm fine with guns for hunting purposes.  I don't understand the need for automatics, and to a big degree hand guns.  I come from a family of hunters (I personally don't hunt), but I also lived deep in the woods with no neighbors in sight and we ate anything shot during the designated seasons.  You get into urban areas and there is less of a need, and more of a risk for things like this to happen.  

 


good points...

FWIW-

I happen to enjoy target shooting and don't begrudge anyone that wants to hunt for sustenance purposes (would-be Kraven 'big game' hunters can go fuck themselves).

The analogy that I have used in the past with regards to firearms is "the fanboy".

 

For example- I enjoy Star Trek and have liked watching all the different incarnations of it over the years, but I have never "crossed over" and wanted to dress up as a Star Fleet Capt., Klingon, Borg, etc. and live my life immersed in all things "Trek". Liking something is one thing, becoming obsessed with it to the point where it might not be considered psychologically healthy isn't good.

 

In my experiences in the "gun world" there are guys and girls who enjoy occasionally going out target shooting.. there needs to be a degree of skill and concentration involved to hit a target, and it's can be kind of cathartic.  These individual's lives don't revolve around 'all things gun'....it's a hobby.

 

Now, on the other hand, there are some hardcore....HARDCORE....gun nuts. They have embraced the gun culture to a point where it has almost literally become a religion. They view "The GUN" is a solution to their (perceived) problems. The only Amendment that is really important to them is the 2nd Amendment....they took that shit and ran with it.

 

I have been at a range (an "outdoorsman's club") before where some guys have so many fucking guns it looks like they are going to shoot 'The Expendables2' right there. 

I've talked to some of these guys...some are OK guys, but some are serious wackjobs. It really makes me wonder how they were able to purchase so many guns. ( by the way, the test one has to take to purchase a gun here in CA is a fucking joke. A car driving test is harder...but that's another topic)

Some of these guys still have the Bush/Cheney stickers on their cars....in addition to the "noBama" stickers, of course.  

These guys would so loooove for "The Walking Dead" to come true....because they would then have some justification for all their beliefs (ie. paranoid delusions) that they have been living with.  

 

Basically, alot of these 'gun dudes' are nerds, they just seem to have replaced dressing up like their favorite Star Trek/Anime character with pretending to be Rambo and "collecting" Pokeman cards that can kill you.

 

sorry, rambled a bit...too much coffee

post #972 of 2855

I know exactly who you are talking about, VTran.  I am against the "gun fanboys" too.  

 

I think anyone who takes a life, regardless of how or why, should face manslaughter charges.  My sister lost her 17 year old best friend years ago to a unrepentant drunk driver who screwed up 3 teens lives and killed another.  He got 60 days in county and 3 years probation.  These people were also friends of mine (close friends until 6 months before the incident list here):

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/no-charges-against-fiancee-in-gwinnett-deputys-sho/nFBRY/

 

She was always irresponsible and I believe at the least should have gotten more than a slap on the wrist.  Granted, she has to live with it, but he was a Father of 3 and they have to live without him.  

post #973 of 2855
350


"Assault weapons have gotten a lot of bad press lately, but they're manufactured for a reason: to take out today's modern super animals, such as the flying squirrel, and the electric eel. "
post #974 of 2855

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh1gGIm0OsRwGGV1_Bofe-ir_GH4-HtR6rNu9jLEcbxsLgCQ6zTg

 

it's coming right for us

post #975 of 2855

ahh, the wisdom of Lenny.....only to be surpassed by...

:)

 

post #976 of 2855

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/29/us/stand-your-ground/index.html?hpt=hp_c2&fb_source=message

 

CNN does an in depth look at 4 cases that involve Stand Your Ground laws, and argue that we as a country need to reevaluate these laws. 31 states currently have laws that allow citizens to use deadly force outside of their homes, many of which toe the line of what constitutes legitimate fear (self-defense) and vigilantism. Everyone should check it out.
 

 

Here's another link about Zimmerman's legal team launching an all out media blitz on social media: http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/zimmermans-lawyer-launches-social-media-campaign-743803

post #977 of 2855

It looks like someone dug up George Zimmerman's MySpace page. I don't know for sure if it's him, but the biographical information and references to his legal problems in 2005 seem to line up. And those pictures certainly look like him.

 

Highlights include Zimmerman's apparent distaste for Mexicans:

I dont miss driving around scared to hit mexicans walkin on the side of the street, soft ass wanna be thugs messin with peoples cars when they aint around (what are you provin, that you can dent a car when no ones watchin) dont make you a man in my book. Workin 96 hours to get a decent pay check, gettin knifes pulled on you by every mexican you run into!

 

And hints at involvement in violent, criminal behavior:

I can hit my boy up to handle a lil somethin with my sister and he's at my house with his boys on bikes before i hang up with her! They do a year and dont ever open thier mouth to get my ass pinched.

 

But in fairness, according to some of his photos, he seems quite friendly with black people.

post #978 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post

 

But in fairness, according to some of his photos, he seems quite friendly with black people.

 

ColbertAlan.png

post #979 of 2855

Man that photo never, EVER gets old.

post #980 of 2855

tangentially related to the topic at hand....

 

HBO has been replaying the documentary "Gun Fight"

Interesting insight into the mentality of those enraptured with guns.

 

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/gun-fight/index.html

 

Quote:

There are an estimated 250 million guns in the United States today. Over the past dozen years, a string of deadly shootings has pockmarked the nation as guns – licensed and unlicensed – have found their way into the wrong hands.

Blending archival and original footage, two-time Oscar®-winning filmmaker Barbara Kopple (“Harlan County, U.S.A.,” “American Dream”) investigates the complex issues surrounding guns and the heated debate over how best to reduce gun violence in the U.S., telling stories of citizens and activists on different sides in GUN FIGHT.

Adopted in 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights, the Second Amendment, addressing the right to bear arms, reads, “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” There has been much debate about the meaning of those words in today’s world. Some gun rights advocates view the amendment as a sacred text that guarantees their natural born right to own guns, while gun control advocates would like to see it interpreted differently for contemporary life.

GUN FIGHT director Barbara Kopple won Best Documentary Feature Academy Awards® for 1977's "Harlan County, U.S.A." and 1991's "American Dream."  Among her many other credits, she also directed "Shut Up and Sing," "Fallen Champ:  The Untold Story of Mike Tyson" and several episodes of "Homicide:  Life on the Street."  Kopple has also won three DGA Awards and three Sundance Film Festival Awards.

Producer Marc N. Weiss' film "When Strangers Click" debuted on HBO2 in February.  He created the PBS documentary series "P.O.V." and Web Lab, a nonprofit think tank dedicated to using the web as a transformative force in people's lives.

GUN FIGHT is a film by Barbara Kopple; producers, Barbara Kopple, Marc N. Weiss and Williams Cole; editor, Robert Eisenhardt.

unrelated- jeebus, the HBO website sucks so fucking bad....

post #981 of 2855
post #982 of 2855

Obviously anybody who buys a gun is looking for reasons to use it, whether directly or indirectly.  Why else buy something you may never use?  People get bars on their windows because they anticipate break ins.  

post #983 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

Obviously anybody who buys a gun is looking for reasons to use it, whether directly or indirectly.  Why else buy something you may never use?  People get bars on their windows because they anticipate break ins.  


As someone that is getting a gun for father's day, I know for sure you don't get one without wanting to use it. I just want to kill bastard ground hogs and muskrats though. I'm not obsessed with the idea of using it as protection, like most people.
post #984 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baker View Post


As someone that is getting a gun for father's day, I know for sure you don't get one without wanting to use it. I just want to kill bastard ground hogs and muskrats though. I'm not obsessed with the idea of using it as protection, like most people.

 

Does Stand Your Ground apply to hogs and muskrats?

post #985 of 2855

Just read up on that MySpace page. Holy shit. If that were Trayvon's the right would be all over it as justification that he was a thug.

post #986 of 2855

I wonder if his myspace page can be used as evidence for the prosecution.

post #987 of 2855

Generally with violent crimes, the defense has to be the first to introduce character evidence.  Until then, the prosecution can't put you on trial for stuff that isn't the crime you are accused of.

 

It's common for the defense to introduce evidence of a peaceful disposition when claiming self-defense, but given what's come out about Zimmerman's history and the crazy-low standards that SYG has set, I can see his lawyers not wanting to open that door.


Edited by Schwartz - 5/3/12 at 12:25pm
post #988 of 2855

So, this exists now...

M5fzr.jpg

post #989 of 2855

I shouldn't be surprised everything about this case is becoming a racist dog-whistle, but it's barely even a dog-whistle anymore, more like an airhorn.

post #990 of 2855

Um...just what is that exactly? Did they really go to the trouble of giving him skittles and ice tea, as if to mockingly say "We don't give a shit whether they're armed or not, we see a black kid in a hoodie, SHOOT THE FUCK OUT OF HIM."

post #991 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieFerguson View Post

So, this exists now...

M5fzr.jpg

 

This is a bit morbid, but it's times like these where I wish a world cleansing flood would rear its ugly head.

post #992 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post

Um...just what is that exactly? Did they really go to the trouble of giving him skittles and ice tea, as if to mockingly say "We don't give a shit whether they're armed or not, we see a black kid in a hoodie, SHOOT THE FUCK OUT OF HIM."

 

I'm hoping it's an irony poster...HOPING SO HARD!!!

post #993 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieFerguson View Post

So, this exists now...

M5fzr.jpg

 

Well I guess it's time to retire my Public Enemy "Fight The Power" hoodie.  Wouldn't want any rednecks getting confused.


Edited by Bailey - 5/3/12 at 3:38pm
post #994 of 2855

Meanwhile, once again we're shown that Stand Your Ground does NOT apply to black people, so sorry. If you're black and attacked, YOU have to prove your life was in danger, apparently. While everyone else just gets to shoot people who yell at them for nearly running them over. 

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/marissa-alexander-florida-stand-your-ground_n_1472647.html

 

*insert Bugs Bunny sawing Florida away from the rest of the country*

post #995 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post

Meanwhile, once again we're shown that Stand Your Ground does NOT apply to black people, so sorry. If you're black and attacked, YOU have to prove your life was in danger, apparently. While everyone else just gets to shoot people who yell at them for nearly running them over. 

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/marissa-alexander-florida-stand-your-ground_n_1472647.html

 

*insert Bugs Bunny sawing Florida away from the rest of the country*

 

Ack, that case isn't even Stand Your Ground. It's simple self-defense. A serial abuser comes after the woman he's abusing (2 weeks after she gave birth, no less), she tries to run, then scares him off with a gun... and she gets 20 years.

 

Pathetic.

post #996 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post

Meanwhile, once again we're shown that Stand Your Ground does NOT apply to black people, so sorry. If you're black and attacked, YOU have to prove your life was in danger, apparently. While everyone else just gets to shoot people who yell at them for nearly running them over. 

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/marissa-alexander-florida-stand-your-ground_n_1472647.html

 

*insert Bugs Bunny sawing Florida away from the rest of the country*

 

to play the skeptic for a second....this case NOT exactly like the Trayvon case. 

 

-Alexander shot AT a person(s). No one was actually shot or killed.

 

-The person she was shooting at is still alive....that being said, the guy she shot at sounds like a complete asshole who had been arrested after abuse that put her in the hospital a year prior to the shooting incident.

 

-Alexander wasn't living at the house where the shooting occurred for 2 months prior to the shooting.

 

-Alexander had a "injunction for protection" put into effect after the previous abuse

 

No doubt Gray was a first class scumbag, asshole....."I got five baby-mamas and I put my hands on every last one of them except for one."...... I don't think I would shed any tears if the guy did get shot and killed.

 

I thought I would just point out that there are significant differences between the Trayvon case and the Alexander one.

 

...this was in the comments section of the article

http://www.scribd.com/doc/89763280/Order-Denying-Defendants-Motion-for-Immunity-and-Motion-to-Dismiss

post #997 of 2855

 

What...in...the..fuck...

 

How do you get 20 years for firing a gun at the ceiling???  Sometimes I forget what reality I'm living in.

post #998 of 2855

Two things she did wrong:

 

1) She was black

 

2) She didn't kill her attacker

 

Either of these mistakes seems to dissolve a "Stand-Your-Ground" defense on contact.

post #999 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Two things she did wrong:

 

1) She was black

 

2) She didn't kill her attacker

 

Either of these mistakes seems to dissolve a "Stand-Your-Ground" defense on contact.

 

Exactly. Now that guy is around to tell his side of the story. Trayvon Martin, not so much.

 

It's come to a point where the law will actually punish you more severely for exhibiting restraint.

post #1000 of 2855

Isn't she being convicted of assault?  Of what?  The ceiling?  She never touched the guy...I just don't get it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All