CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › Difficult actors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Difficult actors - Page 2

post #51 of 923

Yeah, Kinski wasn't shooting at random villagers in Peru because he wanted to improve the script. There's a difference between Norton's conflicts with his directors and, say, Lawrence Tierney wanting to get into a drunken fight with everybody.

post #52 of 923

Isn't Mickey Rourke the king of this thread?

post #53 of 923

I love stuff like this! The proverbial elephant-in-the-room that's always left out of The Making Of segments on movies that's naturally just part of movie-making, like any other profession.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Ever since seeing pictures of Bale laughing and joking on the set of TDKR and hearing about his uncharacteristically chipper mood in interviews and so on...

 

Examples?

post #54 of 923

Terrence Howard apparently bounced himself out of Iron Man 2 for reasons beyond asking for too much money.

 

Sean Young killed her career for reasons beyond being a shitty actress.

 

And then there's Lindsay Lohan.

 

Dustin Hoffman was a notorious prick in his day (I say "was" because he may have mellowed with age); his anal-retentive actor character in Tootsie is pretty much a self-send-up. There was the story of how he made an ailing Laurence Olivier walk around for hours during rehearsals on Marathon Man.

post #55 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post

Sean Young killed her career for reasons beyond being a shitty actress.

 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

Examples?

 

post #56 of 923

Well, yeah, there was that.

 

Difficult to work with + shitty actress + crazy = yeah, let's not hire her EVER AGAIN.

post #57 of 923

I remember stories of Richard Gere being very difficult on the set of "First Knight". He was allegedly always tardy to the set, and this eventually caused a pissed off Sean Connery to physically shake Gere's trailer to get him to come out. 

Funny thing is, I remember THIS story, but nothing about "First Knight" itself.

post #58 of 923

The best Richard Gere story will always be from Sylvester Stallone.

 

 

 

Quote:
Yeah, the original part of Chico, which was played by Perry King, was originally supposed to be played by Richard Gere, but we never hit it off. He would strut around in his oversized motorcycle jacket like he was the baddest knight at the round table. One day, during an improv, he grabbed me (we were simulating a fight scene) and got a little carried away. I told him in a gentle fashion to lighten up, but he was completely in character and impossible to deal with. Then we were rehearsing at Coney Island and it was lunchtime, so we decided to take a break, and the only place that was warm was in the backseat of a Toyota. I was eating a hotdog and he climbs in with a half a chicken covered in mustard with grease nearly dripping out of the aluminum wrapper. I said, “That thing is going to drip all over the place.” He said, “Don’t worry about it.” I said, “If it gets on my pants you’re gonna know about it.” He proceeds to bite into the chicken and a small, greasy river of mustard lands on my thigh. I elbowed him in the side of the head and basically pushed him out of the car. The director had to make a choice: one of us had to go, one of us had to stay. Richard was given his walking papers and to this day seriously dislikes me. He even thinks I’m the individual responsible for the gerbil rumor. Not true… but that’s the rumor.

 

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30932

post #59 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post

Terrence Howard apparently bounced himself out of Iron Man 2 for reasons beyond asking for too much money.

 

In a recent EW article, it was said that Marvel cut Howard's pay by 40-60% because he was going to have less screentime in IM2.

post #60 of 923

Regarding Linda Fiorentino, I remember reading an interview with one of her directors (I forget which one).  He said one of her biggest problems was her first take was always her best take while most actors need a few takes to get into the scene.  So repeated takes with her were always a case of diminishing returns putting her out of sync with her fellow actors who were getting better each time the camera rolled.

post #61 of 923

I've often heard Lawrence Tierney is difficult to work with. Tarantino had supposedly got into a fight with him on Reservoir Dogs, and Matt Groening has said Tierney scared the staff when doing a voice on The Simpsons and that he wouldn't do certain lines if he didn't get a joke. My favorite story, however, is from his guest role as Elaine's father on Seinfeld:

 

post #62 of 923

Knew a guy who did some carpentry on the set of TOPSY-TURVY. Long story short, Jim Broadbent's a prick.
 

post #63 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post

 

In a recent EW article, it was said that Marvel cut Howard's pay by 40-60% because he was going to have less screentime in IM2.


So Marvel pays its' actors per minute of screentime?!

post #64 of 923

They need to save every penny they can so they can not pay Jack Kirby's estate.

post #65 of 923

About 25 years ago I worked in a  fancy-schmancy restaurant in DC. The entrance was circled with counters for various departments, Deli, Bakery, Pastries and then there was the main eating hall. I was working the deli counter one day and I  heard  first  then saw  a lady storming in with a manservant cowering  a few feet behind her. 'When I tell you to park in front I mean IN FRONT, not half a block away! I could've been assaulted by just anybody on the way inside !' 

Then she calmly and politely asked for service at the marzipan counter.

 

Think Cruella de Vil, but in real life.

 

CHER.

post #66 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehauk View Post

About 25 years ago I worked in a  fancy-schmancy restaurant in DC. The entrance was circled with counters for various departments, Deli, Bakery, Pastries and then there was the main eating hall. I was working the deli counter one day and I  heard  first  then saw  a lady storming in with a manservant cowering  a few feet behind her. 'When I tell you to park in front I mean IN FRONT, not half a block away! I could've been assaulted by just anybody on the way inside !' 

Then she calmly and politely asked for service at the marzipan counter.

 

Think Cruella de Vil, but in real life.

 

CHER.

 

So that was before she swallowed the synthesiser?

post #67 of 923

My aunt used to drive one of those buses that goes around Hollywood and takes tourists in front of the celebrities houses (I know, I know, a thousand times, I know). I'm only revealing this information to get to the difficult celebrity part. One day she sees Barbara Streisand and (on the loud speaker or whatever) says "Hello Barbara!" and all the tourists started clapping and cheering and whatnot. Babs spun around and gave them all the finger.

post #68 of 923

We seem to be equating actors who are difficult during the production of a movie vs. actors who are assholes out in the real world.   Not at all the same thing.   

post #69 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyShimSham View Post

My aunt used to drive one of those buses that goes around Hollywood and takes tourists in front of the celebrities houses (I know, I know, a thousand times, I know). I'm only revealing this information to get to the difficult celebrity part. One day she sees Barbara Streisand and (on the loud speaker or whatever) says "Hello Barbara!" and all the tourists started clapping and cheering and whatnot. Babs spun around and gave them all the finger.

 

Now THAT'S a celebrity tour.

 

LOL @ Stallone:

“If it gets on my pants you’re gonna know about it.”

 

Richard Gere spoils Sly's pants: "know about it" = elbow to the head and fired

 

Aged Lion spoils Sly's pants: "know about it" = ROCKY

 

An incontinent lion was of more value to culture than Richard Gere. Hell, an imaginary gerbil was of more value to culture than Richard Gere.

post #70 of 923

Val Kilmer can be a pain in the ass but I remember David Mamet and Renny Harlin saying he's the nicest guy you'll meet. Maybe it has something to do with the director's style?

post #71 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe T View Post

Bale seems like one of those 9-5 guys who won't suffer fools. Working with McG seems tremendously out-of-character.

 

Turning it around for a sec:  Don't McGs sets have a bit of reputation in this regard too?  He's worked with a few stroppy types like Bill Murray, but he somehow manages to bring it out of people (and not because he or his crews are mean or anything, just flakey and irritating somehow)

post #72 of 923

This discussion reminds me of a quote from (I think) Neil Gaiman that I saw brought up in regards to the Dan Harmon/Community debacle. I'm shamelessly paraphrasing a paraphrase here, but it was something to the effect of "Be an exceptional talent; be professional and reliable; be likeable and pleasant to deal with. If someone can manage two of those, they can get away with not being the third. If you can only manage one, you might find yourself in trouble". This seems to apply to actors as much as anyone.

post #73 of 923

All this time and we haven't mentioned late-period Brando? Superman. Apocalypse Now. Dr. Moreau.

post #74 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

We seem to be equating actors who are difficult during the production of a movie vs. actors who are assholes out in the real world.   Not at all the same thing.   

 

What's so different about it, besides the setting? 

post #75 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyShimSham View Post

 

What's so different about it, besides the setting? 

 

 

At Work / Not at work.  I don't know about you but I'm more likely to lose my shit at someone messing around when I am working than when I'm not.

post #76 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Val Kilmer was jealous of Carrey as well and Schumacher hated Jones and Kilmer both. Lovely set to be on, I'm sure. 

 

 

I'd love to hear more about these kinds of rumors, where's the best place to discover these kinds of things?

post #77 of 923
Thread Starter 

A friend worked as an extra on set with Katherine Heigel, said she screamed at everybody, literally.

post #78 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

A friend worked as an extra on set with Katherine Heigel, said she screamed at everybody, literally.

Yeah, she regularly bites the feeding hand during interviews, too.

post #79 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyShimSham View Post

My aunt used to drive one of those buses that goes around Hollywood and takes tourists in front of the celebrities houses (I know, I know, a thousand times, I know). I'm only revealing this information to get to the difficult celebrity part. One day she sees Barbara Streisand and (on the loud speaker or whatever) says "Hello Barbara!" and all the tourists started clapping and cheering and whatnot. Babs spun around and gave them all the finger.

Good. As someone who spends at least 50% of his waking moments traversing Wilshire Boulevard, I hate those fucking buses.

post #80 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

A friend worked as an extra on set with Katherine Heigel, said she screamed at everybody, literally.

 

Because god forbid anybody throws her off her game and ruins a performance for the ages.

 

With Brando, you get it. It's a challenge. If you're a filmmaker worth your shit you can get/could have gotten a MONUMENTAL or iconic performance out of that fucker. 

 

 

The mention of Jim Carey reminded me of some of the times he seriously lost his shit. Ace Ventura 2 was apparently nightmarish and during The Number (??) movie he kind of got super OCD or something. The Sucker Punch Australian girl who was in A Series of Unfortunate Events dropped the bomb that he made sure that she and the other kid didn't have better lines than him in shared scenes. But again, if the filmmaker is strong enough, that fucker performs.

post #81 of 923

Heigl's apparently a prickly pear, and comes off as one, and is probably why her box-office fortunes are declining. I don't mind her, although I haven't seen her in anything except Knocked Up; life's too short to sit through The Ugly Truth and some of those others. But I like how she seemingly doesn't have a filter in interviews. I also don't have to work with her.

post #82 of 923

Regarding Brando: sure, you could get magic out of the man if you didn't take shit from him, but sometimes his behavior seemed downright unreasonable. Such as, say, refusing to memorize his lines for Superman and requesting cue cards, and demanding an exorbitant salary for what amounts to an extended cameo. Or Apocalypse Now, where he famously showed up on the set overweight and again didn't know his lines. Or on The Chase, where he played mind games with the other actors and the director because he was bored.

 

Pardon me, but isn't knowing your fucking lines considered one of the basics of professional acting? Yeah, OK, we're all human and sometimes fuck up, but arriving onset without having made the attempt to do so seems petty and unprofessional. I love the big lug, but let's not pretend he couldn't be a grade-A asshole at times.

post #83 of 923

Just my take here, but with a few small exceptions, the names mentioned in this thread are among the finest screen actors ever to practice the craft. If someone is "difficult", it's because their stock and trade is powerful human emotions, and calling them up from the depths of one's psyche isn't an easy task. It's no wonder these guys and gals get frayed nerves on set or off. It's like Daniel Day Lewis says in Gangs of New York, a murderous rage is just life boiling up inside you. Little wonder these acting greats, so adept at baring their souls on screen, can be volatile under the right conditions. It's a real shame some of these people saw their careers sidelined as a result of rumors and sniping. Fiorentino in particular I'm inclined to side with against Smith. I can only think that people leaving the set in the middle of the shoot might well have resulted in her being unable to practice her lines and rehearse scenes to the degree she'd have liked. She had a serious, emotionally wrenching part to play in that flick, and it's extremely unprofessional to talk publicly about his star the way he has.

 

One more for the list, Julia Roberts. Things apparently got downright nasty between her and Spielberg on the Hook set. She was unprepared for the rigors of blockbuster film making, and chafed (no pun intended) at being required to cool her heels in a flying harness alone on a blue screen stage for hours on end while shots were perfected.

post #84 of 923

She was in the midst of a bad break up. Leave her alone.

post #85 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Leper View Post

She was in the midst of a bad break up. Leave her alone.


Sorry man. Wasn't trying to pick on her. Just was reporting what I'd heard. I think she was pretty good in Hook, at the end of the day.

post #86 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Yeah, she regularly bites the feeding hand during interviews, too.

 

She's annoyed me for years, but I really started to dislike her when she was on some talk show complaining about the long hours she'd been doing on Grey's Anatomy lately. The producers of the show were fed up with her bitching and explained publicly that the reason she was working long hours was that they had rearranged the entire show's shooting schedule just for her so she could do a film at the same time. Bitch

post #87 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spider View Post

Regarding Brando: sure, you could get magic out of the man if you didn't take shit from him, but sometimes his behavior seemed downright unreasonable. Such as, say, refusing to memorize his lines for Superman and requesting cue cards, and demanding an exorbitant salary for what amounts to an extended cameo. Or Apocalypse Now, where he famously showed up on the set overweight and again didn't know his lines. Or on The Chase, where he played mind games with the other actors and the director because he was bored.

 

Pardon me, but isn't knowing your fucking lines considered one of the basics of professional acting? Yeah, OK, we're all human and sometimes fuck up, but arriving onset without having made the attempt to do so seems petty and unprofessional. I love the big lug, but let's not pretend he couldn't be a grade-A asshole at times.

 

Was that aimed at me?

 

If so, that's a misunderstanding of what I said. I was framing that against Heigl being a Diva. You can argue that with Brando (and others) the difficult personality comes hand in hand with the talent. If you want to tap into that talent you have to ride the bull, so to speak.

 

In that context Heigl has no business being a PitA. It simply must be down to women being absolutely starved for basic entertainment aimed at them that Heigl even has a career. At best she's a sort of avatar for a demographic of white, middle class, dissatisfied/pissed off, career women with relationship problems. Even the poster for Knocked Up used that idea to sell the movie - a big head shot of the goofy idiot "you drunk-fucked last night".

post #88 of 923

Oh, sorry. I guess I thought you were trying to excuse his behavior, when clearly you weren't.

 

The problem with Heigl is that she can't even be entertaining in her bitchiness. I gave Brando some shit, but at least he went all-out when he was difficult.

post #89 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spider View Post

Regarding Brando: sure, you could get magic out of the man if you didn't take shit from him, but sometimes his behavior seemed downright unreasonable. Such as, say, refusing to memorize his lines for Superman and requesting cue cards, and demanding an exorbitant salary for what amounts to an extended cameo. Or Apocalypse Now, where he famously showed up on the set overweight and again didn't know his lines. Or on The Chase, where he played mind games with the other actors and the director because he was bored.

 

Pardon me, but isn't knowing your fucking lines considered one of the basics of professional acting? Yeah, OK, we're all human and sometimes fuck up, but arriving onset without having made the attempt to do so seems petty and unprofessional. I love the big lug, but let's not pretend he couldn't be a grade-A asshole at times.

 

And yet, all those movies benefit greatly from his presence in them.

post #90 of 923

UNDER SIEGE was on the tele last night. Tommy Lee Jones, Steven Seagal and Gary Busey. I bet you could just feel the love on that set.

post #91 of 923

Steven Seagal. The stories John Leguizamo tells about him.

post #92 of 923

Did some digging and found this. Steven Seagal is either a nutjob or an asshole.

 

http://www.cagepotato.com/awesome-story-of-the-day-steven-seagal-attacked-john-leguizamo-to-prove-he-was-the-alpha-male-on-a-movie-set/

 

 

 

Quote:
 he would hurt actors and stunt performers, dislocated shoulders, kick guys in the nuts to see if they were wearing cups
post #93 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

UNDER SIEGE was on the tele last night. Tommy Lee Jones, Steven Seagal and Gary Busey. I bet you could just feel the love on that set.

 

LOL-GAK!! I just simultaneously laughed through my ears, nose and mouth at that. One orifice wasn't enough to expel it.

 

Legendary.

 

Isn't there a an actual story behind Seagal being the subject of a bet that one Studio Honcho had with another that he could in fact make a star out of a deeply unlikeable asshole?

post #94 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

 

And yet, all those movies benefit greatly from his presence in them.

 

I'm not suggesting that's not the case, certainly. And again, any anger I've shown here is mostly annoyance, exaggerated for effect. I find Brando's late-period diva behavior quite entertaining in a lot of ways, especially on the really bad films like Moreau (where he even had competition from Val Kilmer for "Best On-Set Prick").

post #95 of 923
Thread Starter 

A few things...

 

Regarding Val Kilmer.  Oliver Stone bitched about him endlessly while shooting The Doors.  Apparently Kilmer got full body massages every day and Stone said he didn't have any stamina for doing scenes.

 

I just remembered my friend who worked with Katherine Heigel said it was Grey's Anatomy, I'd forgotten the show until someone mentioned it above.

 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gene Hackman who is a notorious prick.  I can't remember the film, but a director went to give Hackman some direction.  Hackman flat out said "I'm not doing that" and walked away, no dicussion.  He clashed with Wes Anderson on The Royal Tenebaums...I think Anderson was giving another actor direction, whispering it in their ear between takes so Hackman couldn't hear (a common directorial trick) and Hackman yelled at him.  He took Anderson aside and called him an asshole or something.

 

I believe Dee Wallace gave Spielberg a hard time on E.T.

 

I remember reading the making of The Bonfire of the Vanities which DePalma directed.  It was a comedic scene with Bruce Willis and some lesser known day players.  Willis straight up took over and started directing one of the guys because he didn't think he was doing it right.  DePalma is not one for making a scene, so he played it off and jumped in, agreeing with Willis but giving the direction himself. 

 

When I was in film school over ten years ago, us students had to shoot a very short film on the grounds of the school, each of us in a different crew position, to learn the basics of how a set works.  They hired a few nobody actors to play the characters.  The DP wanted to use smoke so we got a smoke machine.  I remember in between one of the takes, a crew member was pumping smoke all around the scene and probably a little to close to one of the male actors.  The guy literally screamed "WILL YOU STOP SPRAYING THAT SHIT NEAR ME???!!!"  It was more funny than horrifying, and honestly he was probably justifiably upset.  But fuck him, movies are full of technical inconveniences and that's part of the job and there's no excuse for verbally abusing crew members, when a simple and calm reminder to tone it down would do the trick.  And if that didn't work, go to the director and tell him about it.  But the guy screamed without warning...no one knew it was bothering him and none of the other actors complained.

post #96 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

A few things...

 

Regarding Val Kilmer.  Oliver Stone bitched about him endlessly while shooting The Doors.  Apparently Kilmer got full body massages every day and Stone said he didn't have any stamina for doing scenes.

Wow, I'd never heard that. He's got nothing but praise for him on the commentary track. He clearly liked Kilmer enough to work with him again. Where can I read more about this? I find Stone and his films fascinating. On The Doors track the person he singles out for hate is Meg Ryan, who apparently was over modest and uptight, refusing to let Stone shoot his film the way he wanted to. You can see her cover up her breasts in a very odd and unnatural way, clearly to obscure them from the camera when she's in bed with Jim.

post #97 of 923
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

Wow, I'd never heard that. He's got nothing but praise for him on the commentary track. He clearly liked Kilmer enough to work with him again. Where can I read more about this? I find Stone and his films fascinating. On The Doors track the person he singles out for hate is Meg Ryan, who apparently was over modest and uptight, refusing to let Stone shoot his film the way he wanted to. You can see her cover up her breasts in a very odd and unnatural way, clearly to obscure them from the camera when she's in bed with Jim.

 

It's in the book of Stone's biography.

post #98 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post


When I was in film school over ten years ago, us students had to shoot a very short film on the grounds of the school, each of us in a different crew position, to learn the basics of how a set works.  They hired a few nobody actors to play the characters.  The DP wanted to use smoke so we got a smoke machine.  I remember in between one of the takes, a crew member was pumping smoke all around the scene and probably a little to close to one of the male actors.  The guy literally screamed "WILL YOU STOP SPRAYING THAT SHIT NEAR ME???!!!"  It was more funny than horrifying, and honestly he was probably justifiably upset.  But fuck him, movies are full of technical inconveniences and that's part of the job and there's no excuse for verbally abusing crew members, when a simple and calm reminder to tone it down would do the trick.  And if that didn't work, go to the director and tell him about it.  But the guy screamed without warning...no one knew it was bothering him and none of the other actors complained.

 

That actor was Harrison Ford. And now you know... the rest of the story.

post #99 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

 

It's in the book of Stone's biography.

Thanks, I'll track it down.

post #100 of 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post


 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gene Hackman who is a notorious prick.  I can't remember the film, but a director went to give Hackman some direction.  Hackman flat out said "I'm not doing that" and walked away, no dicussion.  He clashed with Wes Anderson on The Royal Tenebaums...I think Anderson was giving another actor direction, whispering it in their ear between takes so Hackman couldn't hear (a common directorial trick) and Hackman yelled at him.  He took Anderson aside and called him an asshole or something.

 

IIRC, wasn't Tenenbaums the shoot where, at the end, Anderson tried to apologize, Hackman told him "I meant every word. You're a cunt."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Movie Miscellany
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › Difficult actors