And we don't mean O'Neal.
G.I. JOE: RETALIATION RESHOOTS TO FOCUS ON TATUM
Um... Tatum wasn't in Battleship. And being a popular board game has never been a selling point for putting asses in movie seats.
Damn, I am really displeased to hear this. I thought killing your 'star' was ballsy and helped set the stakes for the sequel. I don't exactly hate Tatum (he was OK in Eagle and Haywire), but he's nothing special and in the last GI Joe film in particular he was incredibly weak. Just no charisma whatsoever. I have to think that maybe the film really was in seriously bad shape if they were forced to pull it from their schedule at the last second. However, if some execs got cold feet after a wave of cards at preview screenings mourning the loss of Duke, it's not a good enough reason to bring back a bland character portrayed by bland actor.
Just a weird, sad situation all around.
It's that smile, goddammit. I think I'm out, but he pulls me back in. Bastard. Charming, good-looking bastard.
Here are a few ideas to more cost-effectively re-insert Tatum.
- Ghost-Duke. Only interacts with Bruce Willis. Is Joe Colton really dead?
- Kill Snake Eyes early in the film, paste Duke's head onto existing Snake Eyes footage. Have him talk a lot. Like nonstop.
- Digitally insert Cobra Commander into She's the Man. Tatum's StM character character is already named Duke, the audience WON"T notice.
- Movie re-titled GI Joe: Quantum Leap. Basically Duke is the new Al. He'll be helping Sam Becket, who has leapt(leaped) into Lady Jaye, to stop Cobra and sexism. Two franchises in one!
- Duke is now the teams techie. Slap a headset on him and sit him in front of a radar screen. Action!
- Duke's always just off screen. Sample dialogue: "Nice shot Duke, you really killed a bunch of bad guys there", "Duke, cover us!", "Stay here Duke, I'll handle this!", "Duke! Duck behind that crate!"
- Duke captured early on, spends half the movie in a subway station/subway car. Fights Bruce Spence.
I'm really glad I have no emotional nostalgic connection to this property (Joe never made it to Oz back when I was a lad, we had Action Man instead), cause this would be one hell of a painful watch if I did.
I thought Tatum was awesome in 21 Jump Street; however I didn't think he was so good that I'm now want to see everything he is in. I didn't want to see the new G.I. Joe movie to begin with, and this isn't changing my mind.
You jest, but I'm expecting something akin to this. We spend the whole film thinking Duke is dead and then out of the blue he appears to help save the day at the end, leaving him alive for G.I. Joe 3 if they are lucky enough to get one. It makes the most sense in terms of reshoots. Redoing all the Joe scenes to add Tatum back would cost too much. Reshooting the finale? That's doable. The whole scenario is ridiculous, but it still won't cost them TOO much.
Mark my words. Duke will still "die" at the beginning, but will somehow reappear at the end to bring down Cobra. Fuck, I wouldn't be surprised if they just have some Cobra goon remove his helmet at the end, revealing that Duke had infiltrated the organization after the opening. That'd be the easiest way to work him in without reshooting too much.
So yeah, you basically called it, Monster Pete.
Funny you should mention that, because Action Man spawned Action Force, which kind of became a European label for G.I.Joe:
I remember Action Force became huge in the UK after the G.I.Joe merger, so I'm surprised it didn't make its way over here. Flint, Roadblock, Lady Jaye, Snake Eyes... I knew them as Action Force characters until I learned about the G.I.Joe connection some time later.
Oh, and another masterclass in badarsery from Channing (Iron) Tatum?
Not getting all the hate for Tatum that's emerged from this news. I mean, Duke is an action figure. Channing is perfectly cast.
Nine month delay - perfect amount of time to also bring back Rachel Nichols. Just sayin'.
The news did not generate the hate. It released it like steam from a volcano.
The Duke action figure was not as plastic as Tatum in the movie.
Gabe T, Better...RED, than...Dead at the Box Office! So, I hope G.I. Joe 2 adds some...Scarlett Fever, causing moviegoers to...Give A Damn, and see G.I. Joe Retaliation against...boring cinema and COBRAAA...Again! I do not want to see the Joes Franchise to be...Gone With The Wind!
Also the perfect amount of time to schedule a short helmet-less Cobra Commander cameo for JGL!!!