or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE CHEWERS › The Chewers Catch-All › The Chewer Work Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Chewer Work Thread

post #1 of 1193
Thread Starter 

Didn't want to clog up tired shit with work complaints.  So I started a new work-specific one!

 

My co-worker needs to learn to use headphones.  If I hear "Glad You Came" one more time, I may not be able to control my actions.

 

Same goes for "Lights," and the seven other pop songs that she plays in constant rotation. 

post #2 of 1193
Can anyone please give me advice on resume writing? I had a friend who was going to help me, but it turns out she has no real clue what a truly professional resume is supposed to be or look like, and now I am down to the wire and need to turn one out by tomorrow morning.

Is there an online resume generator you would recommend?

Help GREATLY appreciated.
post #3 of 1193
Thread Starter 

From my experience you need to be simple, concise, and only put on it what the listing is asking for, in bold if possible.

 

Monster has lots of tips and samples, just stick to the simple ones: 

 

http://career-advice.monster.com/resumes-cover-letters/resume-writing-tips/jobs.aspx

post #4 of 1193
Thanks mate, I am extremely anxious about this whole thing, so your advice is appreciated.
post #5 of 1193

http://ask.metafilter.com/tags/resume

 

Lots of great advice in there on resumes/CVs.

post #6 of 1193

I don't suppose anyone in LA knows of any entry-level positions with a semi-decent wage? I'm getting desperate.

post #7 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy Jones View Post

I don't suppose anyone in LA knows of any entry-level positions with a semi-decent wage? I'm getting desperate.

There's always transcribing for reality TV companies.  The work isn't steady, and the pay isn't great, but I and a number of my friends have managed to live on it short-term and in many cases use it as a way into better jobs.

post #8 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanekofan View Post

There's always transcribing for reality TV companies.  The work isn't steady, and the pay isn't great, but I and a number of my friends have managed to live on it short-term and in many cases use it as a way into better jobs.

 

How do you get into that?

post #9 of 1193

don;t have anything to add to the jobs in LA or resume thing (other than make one great page, got to make it an attention grabber) so, a work whinge!

 

Mobile phones with annoying ring tones.  The clue is in the name.  It's mobile, so take it with you, so that I don;t have to listen to your blaring ringtone because you've left it on your desk.

post #10 of 1193
post #11 of 1193

I take issues with a couple of his ideas in that article, Whiteboy. First, the unemployment number in New York is nearly a full percentage point higher than the National average. He should be looking for jobs in other cities. Second, New York City has the 2nd highest number of degrees per capita, which means this guy is pushing it to get a job with his degree there.  

 

I know you said the Los Angeles area earlier, but if you are looking for a job, you have to be willing to move. LA is 11th on that list. There are a lot of cities that need qualified people that the local economy doesn't produce. I know the blog you linked looked scary, but it isn't. Despair not, and pick up something to hold you over till you find a real job, but it may not be in the city you or that guy from the blog are in now.

 

 

We also have a bit of degree inflation. Jobs that a bachelor's would have guaranteed fifteen years ago are being taken by people with master's degrees. The number of federal jobs that are taken with super high degrees is forcing non-college graduates who have been working federal jobs for many years to struggle to move up or maintain jobs.

post #12 of 1193

WBJ: Kind of borderline obvious and I'm absolutely not intending to come across as a dick, but have you checked out http://www.entertainmentcareers.net/?

post #13 of 1193

Yeah. I even was paying for a while. It helped me get some internships, but I've yet to have any luck getting a real job out of it.

post #14 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post

I take issues with a couple of his ideas in that article, Whiteboy. First, the unemployment number in New York is nearly a full percentage point higher than the National average. He should be looking for jobs in other cities. Second, New York City has the 2nd highest number of degrees per capita, which means this guy is pushing it to get a job with his degree there.  

 

I know you said the Los Angeles area earlier, but if you are looking for a job, you have to be willing to move. LA is 11th on that list. There are a lot of cities that need qualified people that the local economy doesn't produce. I know the blog you linked looked scary, but it isn't. Despair not, and pick up something to hold you over till you find a real job, but it may not be in the city you or that guy from the blog are in now.

 

 

We also have a bit of degree inflation. Jobs that a bachelor's would have guaranteed fifteen years ago are being taken by people with master's degrees. The number of federal jobs that are taken with super high degrees is forcing non-college graduates who have been working federal jobs for many years to struggle to move up or maintain jobs.

 

I know the experiment in that article is extremely informal, but I was in a despairing mood.

post #15 of 1193
Well I did my best with my resume and I thank you guys for your help. I will let you know how it goes!
post #16 of 1193
I got the gig! Thank you all for your help & advice. One love.
post #17 of 1193
Thread Starter 

Wonderful!  Hope it's a nice gig.

post #18 of 1193
I'll be in Charlotte for the Democratic National Convention at the end of the month. So yes, I'm psyched.
post #19 of 1193
Thread Starter 

It should be a fascinating experience if nothing else!

 

Currently the my boss/company owner is going through one of his manic phases.  Usually, that means a purge, and there's not a lot of work in the pipeline.

post #20 of 1193
Thread Starter 

I have a deep-seated aversion to one of my co-workers.  I keep thinking I will get over it, but I haven't yet.  I find him relentlessly creepy in almost every way.  Speech, mannerisms, personal appearance, everything.

 

Should I read Dealing with People You Can't Stand?

post #21 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

I have a deep-seated aversion to one of my co-workers.  I keep thinking I will get over it, but I haven't yet.  I find him relentlessly creepy in almost every way.  Speech, mannerisms, personal appearance, everything.

 

Should I read Dealing with People You Can't Stand?


I feel your pain brah. Only thing is there are only 8 or so people who work at our small company. He just happens to be the one I HAVE to interact with. Dude talks with his hands, over exaggerating every motion. Also uses words in which he doesn't completely understand the correct context to use them (refereed to how the social system of his son's football team as "politicians" instead of politics). Makes sure to come in guns blazing first thing every morning with every little detail that happened that previous night. Please dude, I woke up a half hour ago....let me get my coffee first at least. Not to mention he has a poof ball mohawk.

 

Its difficult because I've just recently become his boss. He's about 7 years older than me and married with 3 kids. This and my personal opinion of him makes it very difficult to figure out how to properly act as his superior.

post #22 of 1193

For what it's worth, Whiteboy, I found my current job on mandy.com.  And when I was at my most desperate I did background acting work.  You're basically treated like cattle, but you're also getting paid to sit around and do almost nothing all day.  Just try not to make eye contact with anybody.

post #23 of 1193

I actually just started work as a background extra today (look for me in episode 3 of Grey's Anatomy this season). Thanks for the link, grace.

post #24 of 1193
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post

For what it's worth, Whiteboy, I found my current job on mandy.com.  And when I was at my most desperate I did background acting work.  You're basically treated like cattle, but you're also getting paid to sit around and do almost nothing all day.  Just try not to make eye contact with anybody.

 

I am incredibly curious why not?  Is it because the proles aren't supposed to interact with the regulars at all?

post #25 of 1193

Nah, just that there are some very unusual...characters in the background acting community.  And way too many aspiring actors who would love to tell you about the script they're working on, and the audition they had yesterday, and how many SAG vouchers they have left to get, and do you want to see my headshots?  I just took new ones, my friend took them for me, he usually charges twice as much, but he gave me a deal, etc, etc, etc...  It can get a little tiring, especially when you have nothing to add because you're not looking to parlay this into an acting career.

post #26 of 1193

I used to know an older couple who prided themselves on being "professional extras" and they were the weirdest fucking people I've ever met who didn't live in a trailer in East Texas.

post #27 of 1193
Thread Starter 

Ha!  Thanks for the education Grace and Jake!

post #28 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy Jones View Post

 

How do you get into that?

Whoops!  Sorry it took me so long to respond; I totally forgot I'd ever posted in this thread.  I realize it's something of a moot point now, but, other than knowing somebody who works in reality TV and asking about transcription (which is how I first got in), a lot of companies will post on Craigslist for jobs like that.

post #29 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

I used to know an older couple who prided themselves on being "professional extras" and they were the weirdest fucking people I've ever met who didn't live in a trailer in East Texas.

I know a fair number of professional extras.  Yeah, a strange lot.  A lot of the ones I know are people in their thirties who refuse to get cars or cell phones, whicha re both aversions to which I'm sympathetic, but trying to work in LA - particularly the entertainment industry - without personal transport or a cell phone just seems obstinate.

post #30 of 1193

Yeah, I mean I don't have a car for practical reasons and I know it'll hamstring me once I finally give the healthcare industry the finger and go for something I'm actually interested in, but the cellphone thing is so fucking weird I don't even know how to feel about it.

post #31 of 1193

For the first time, possibly ever in my working career, my work is going really well.  I'm enjoying what I'm doing and my efforts are being appreciated.


I'm doing a lot of work for my local community, setting up the infrastructure for a new whiz bang community centre.  And as well as the work being stimulating and challenging, the fact that I'm doing something to benefit the community, rather than helping businesses make money or just doing fekkin' break fix, is really great.


It's also great because it's local so literally no commute, and I get to do stuff like going swimming, possibly going to the gym (haven't done it yet, but the potential is there) in my lunch break, rather than just grabbing lunch at my desk.


I also had my end of year review and it was universally positive rather than the standard "shit sandwich", and I actually have some kind of supported career direction which interests me now.

post #32 of 1193
For my gig I just purchased a charcoal Ralph Lauren two button suit with a white, a grey and a black dress shirt. Any shirt or tie color combination advice? I have one black tie so far, I need two more ties (one for each day of the convention).

I can also swap out one dress shirt if you think there is a better color out there for a grey suit than grey white and black. I need it to look professional, but also ideally fairly cool.

^ and Andy, that's awesome, I'm glad your work is going so well.
post #33 of 1193

Can you pull off a bowtie? It would at least allow you the same color tie as the other, but be different enough to not look like you were wearing the same clothes every day.

 

Marooon, a deep maroon, can often look nice with charcoal. Basically, jewel toned.  Nothing pastel.

post #34 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

For my gig I just purchased a charcoal Ralph Lauren two button suit with a white, a grey and a black dress shirt. Any shirt or tie color combination advice? I have one black tie so far, I need two more ties (one for each day of the convention).
I can also swap out one dress shirt if you think there is a better color out there for a grey suit than grey white and black. I need it to look professional, but also ideally fairly cool.
^ and Andy, that's awesome, I'm glad your work is going so well.

 

Google your question w/"GQ". Everything I know about style coordination I'd learned from GQ.

A black shirt isn't a good idea if you're going for "professional". Stick to white, white w/stripes, & light blue. Grey is tricky too. A black tie w/suit on grey shirt might be ok but grey kinda drags you into "nightlife" territory.

post #35 of 1193
Thread Starter 

Co-worker (now my new boss-ish) I can't stand was just in talking to me.  As he talked, he was fondling things on my cube wall with his finger...

 

The company I work for is also in one of it's cyclical failures.  

 

Last time this happened, I found a new job ASAP and jumped ship.  Unfortunately that job ended up even worse, and the company I left survived, and I probably could have held on to the job.  

 

So I'll ride this one down.

 

 

post #36 of 1193

So I swore I'd never go back into retail after Walmart, but apparently Trader Joe's pays its employees REALLY well? A relatively brain-free job to pay the bills while I write is pretty much what I need.

post #37 of 1193

Yep, if you have to go into retail, you can't do much better than Trader Joes (or Whole Foods). Though, you have to interview 2-3 times to land a position there to make sure that you're "Trader Joes material". WalMart (I loathe to even type the name) represents the shit end of the retail experience. ANYTHING is better than that shit.

post #38 of 1193

Yeah, I'm gonna go for that.

 

There's a lesson here. I never considered anything like it because of my staunch refusal to even think about retail work. If I had, and gotten it months ago? I'd have so much more money right now.

post #39 of 1193

They'd have to pay you well so that you can afford Trader Joe's/Whole Food prices!

 

But seriously, good luck on getting hired there!  You gotta stay in LA so we can hang!

post #40 of 1193

The nice thing is that there are like 5 TJ's within easy distance of me, so if one turns me down, I can just try another!

post #41 of 1193

Plus, all of those super-cute chicks that you might be working alongside!

post #42 of 1193

Well, the two TJ's closest to me are both full, and not looking for anyone new. I'm going to try the other FOUR that are within easy distance, see if they're looking. There's also ANOTHER ONE opening by the end of the year, except I'd be out of money by the time that happens, so that isn't good. None of the Whole Foods are looking for anyone, either. I'm looking up other higher-bar retail work, as well. We'll see what works.


My dad also put me in touch with an old classmate of his who's become a very successful production designer. She's helping me refine my resume. So that might help out.

 

If worst comes to worst, I can always spend a month or so taking care of my grandfather in Florida again. He paid me pretty well for that last winter. I really don't want to do that again, though.

 

...Or I could just murder a TJ's employee and make my own opening.

post #43 of 1193

Murder Dan Harmon and take his identity!

post #44 of 1193

...and you might've gotten away with it had you not announced your diabolical plan online beforehand. Smooth move, Sherlock Smith.

post #45 of 1193

I was a mouse fart away from becoming a Latin teacher at a cushy private school in DC recently. Kind of bummed that I didn't get that, as I thought I'd be great at it and it would have been a blast. Time to start taking getting into grad school a bit more seriously, I guess.

post #46 of 1193
Thread Starter 

Looks like I'm employed for about another year.  Give or take.  Company got a sexy pitch from some virtual server salesmen, and their services undercut my pay.

 

Bye-bye IT career, you were fun when I was in highschool.

post #47 of 1193
Sorry to anyone hurting for work. I'm psyched to be making 12.50 an hour + overtime for this next week at the DNC. In the grander scheme of things though that only reenforced how much my normal day to day work situation sucks.
post #48 of 1193

Well that's it. I'm out of money. My parents had to give me some. So goddamn humiliating. TJ's (NONE of them) not looking for help, no one is getting back to me. I'm fucked. A month back in Florida it is, then!

post #49 of 1193
Thread Starter 

How are things going Jones?

 

I'm in a bad situation where I hate my job but I know I will not find another if I quit.

post #50 of 1193
Thread Starter 

How, in the name of all that is good an holy, am I supposed to 'dumb down' the procedure to type in a username and password?

 

I am so burned out on IT, it's beyond parody.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Chewers Catch-All
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE CHEWERS › The Chewers Catch-All › The Chewer Work Thread