or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The Walking Dead Season 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Walking Dead Season 3 - Page 11

post #501 of 1655

I can see why shooting Merle would be harder than a walker. Merle, while not exactly a good person, is a human being. Walkers are just dead things that want to eat you.

post #502 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Her scenes this season really aren't terribly written, though. Her seduction by the Governor and his town -should- be working better than it is, and for me the big problem is that the actor playing the Governor is so thoroughly dominating every scene they share that it makes his affection towards her seem inexplicable.

 

 

She does this kind of annoying smirk thing and her facial expressions are kind of off putting, but I think they continue to put her into positions where she has this kind of disgusted, incredulous look on her face. The character is just awful. Don't wanna dog the actress too much.

post #503 of 1655

She's done the "Micchone you're being ridiculous gaaaah" thing like three times, and every time she does it I cringe.  It's like she's a 16 year old teen in a Friday the 13th movie. 

post #504 of 1655

Andrea's actually been growing on me, but they're doing her character a disservice by giving her such awful judgement. It'd be one thing if we didn't know that the governor was up to no good, but as it is she's just coming off as a moron who ditched a friend she can trust in favor of an asshole. 

post #505 of 1655

It’s not really a surprise. I like this show but even I have to admit that the writers are largely incapable of writing women well at all.

post #506 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

It’s not really a surprise. I like this show but even I have to admit that the writers are largely incapable of writing women well at all.


Hey, at least they're staying true to the source material.

post #507 of 1655

To be fair, they also have trouble writing men.

post #508 of 1655

Unintentionally Funny Andrew Lincoln Expression of the Week: when he's overcome with emotion while holding the baby and he looks up at the sky like an angel just whispered something to him

post #509 of 1655

     Quote:

Originally Posted by Navidson View Post

Bad news for O-Dog, a new black character (Tyrese from the comics) is coming to the show:

 

 

http://badassdigest.com/2012/11/20/cutty-from-the-wire-joins-the-walking-dead/


Coleman was great on The Wire, so I think he'll bring a nice humanity to his character on TWD.

"Cutty from the cut!"

post #510 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Andrea's actually been growing on me, but they're doing her character a disservice by giving her such awful judgement. It'd be one thing if we didn't know that the governor was up to no good, but as it is she's just coming off as a moron who ditched a friend she can trust in favor of an asshole. 

 

And then you guys say the writer don't know women?!  <rimshot>

 

Can I get a high-five?  No?

post #511 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Matchstick View Post

To be fair, they also have trouble writing men.

 

At least the consistency of their zombie writing has been stellar!

post #512 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Andrea's actually been growing on me, but they're doing her character a disservice by giving her such awful judgement. It'd be one thing if we didn't know that the governor was up to no good, but as it is she's just coming off as a moron who ditched a friend she can trust in favor of an asshole. 


I find it remarkably consistent. Andrea's main character trait has been overconfidence. After about 5 minutes of gun training, she nearly got killed hanging around to show off her skills. She nearly killed Daryl when she was so excited to display her marksmanship that she didn't verify she was shooting at a zombie.

 

She seems -exactly- like the kind of person that could be seduced by someone that makes them feel important and in control. The Governor repeatedly pretends to defer to her and places an extremely high value on her for someone who has shown no real value to his community so far.

post #513 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post


I find it remarkably consistent. Andrea's main character trait has been overconfidence. After about 5 minutes of gun training, she nearly got killed hanging around to show off her skills. She nearly killed Daryl when she was so excited to display her marksmanship that she didn't verify she was shooting at a zombie.

 

She seems -exactly- like the kind of person that could be seduced by someone that makes them feel important and in control. The Governor repeatedly pretends to defer to her and places an extremely high value on her for someone who has shown no real value to his community so far.

 

 

This is one of those "I think you've given far more thought to the show than the people responsible for it have" kinda posts. 

post #514 of 1655

Shows like this have a bible. I don't think it's giving them that much credit to say one page reads:

 

ANDREA:

Big ego

Has sister

post #515 of 1655

No one's saying it's inconsistent, but Andrea's taste in men is practically a joke now. That's why I wrote she's "coming off" as a moron, because she keep siding with the antagonist which makes her tenacity seem like stupidity. Not the best way to create a likable character.

post #516 of 1655

Bringing Tyreese in at this point just seems weird. IronE Singleton must be wondering who he pissed off to get eaten and replaced.

post #517 of 1655

I think they just needed people to die on their zombie show, and they picked the two least popular characters.  It's either A) fix the characters through time and effort, or B) not kill any one or kill a beloved character. 

post #518 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

Bringing Tyreese in at this point just seems weird.


Agreed. Especially if they are just gonna kill him off in eight or nine hours anyway.
post #519 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post

No one's saying it's inconsistent, but Andrea's taste in men is practically a joke now. That's why I wrote she's "coming off" as a moron, because she keep siding with the antagonist which makes her tenacity seem like stupidity. Not the best way to create a likable character.

 

I was thinking of this the other day, but do we need all the characters to be likable?  Could Andrea just be a moron with questionable taste in men? I know she's supposed to be one of the "good guys", but maybe she's supposed to be a flaky character? On a show with a fairly big cast, do all of the heroes need to be heroic?

post #520 of 1655

Not heroic, but interesting. Especially if they're going to make her the secondary lead (which she essentially has been this season).

 

Season 2 pretty much locked them in to this storyline, so I'm giving them a break. I just hope that once the two groups meet/clash, that Andrea's role will bear fruit or her screen time will shrink (or both). smile.gif

post #521 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post

 

I was thinking of this the other day, but do we need all the characters to be likable?  Could Andrea just be a moron with questionable taste in men? I know she's supposed to be one of the "good guys", but maybe she's supposed to be a flaky character? On a show with a fairly big cast, do all of the heroes need to be heroic?

 

Well-written would be nice, though.

post #522 of 1655
A new black character? Aww hell naw!
post #523 of 1655

So... Dr. Mengele is just creeping me out. Only child, parents dead, telecommuted to work, working with memory of the reanimated...

post #524 of 1655
Thread Starter 

Good things in the previous post.

 

I liked the crazy hermit in the woods. Probably no idea there was an apocalypse going on. I wish the show was comprised of more random encounters like this as they tour the countryside and meet wackos.
 

post #525 of 1655

Yeah, this episode didn't do much for me, other than make the Governor look like a pyscho. And I fear we will never figure out how he got in charge. So the 75 people or so who were saved apparently endorse him.  They either don't know how crazy he is (because with only 75 people, no one would ever find out about his creepy tendencies) or they are all Stockholm syndrome victims.

post #526 of 1655

#TeamPrison

post #527 of 1655

Great Carpenter sounding music during the final moments of tonight's episode. Loved that. Next week's episode should be a great end to this first half of the season.

 

 

I too loved the randomness of the hermit showing up, and it did seem like he didn't even know about the zombie apocalypse. That's a little hard to believe, but eh, it led to a bit of crazy hilarity for the brief moments they were there in his shack.

post #528 of 1655
the stand out moment for me from this episode was when the group was trapped in the cabin and threw out the "bait" to distract the walkers....then the close ups of walkers chowing down....blood smeared hands and faces...followed by a cut to a "sponsored by KFC" promo ad.

: )
post #529 of 1655

Finger lickin' good.

post #530 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post

 And I fear we will never figure out how he got in charge. So the 75 people or so who were saved apparently endorse him.  They either don't know how crazy he is (because with only 75 people, no one would ever find out about his creepy tendencies) or they are all Stockholm syndrome victims.

 

I don't think it's that hard to figure. He -is- charismatic, and in a world gone to hell, I imagine people would easily follow anyone who could deliver safety.

 

Also, he hasn't exactly built Rome. His reign has been less than a year so far, and in all likelihood isn't making it to two.

 

Well, obviously it's not making it to two years - the dipshit has MERLE as his second! That's like guarding your life's savings with an attack dog that has been run over by a car. Head first.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

the stand out moment for me from this episode was when the group was trapped in the cabin and threw out the "bait" to distract the walkers....then the close ups of walkers chowing down....blood smeared hands and faces...followed by a cut to a "sponsored by KFC" promo ad.
: )

 

Heh, I was thinking that it's either supremely ballsy or ignorant to smash your food ad right up against any commercial break of this show.

 

On a more substantive note, this episode proved my theory true: the show can be (and is) better with other characters as the leads. Glenn and Maggie easily carried the bulk of the story

post #531 of 1655
I think it had to have been done tongue-in-cheek.

I didn't like how quickly Michonne and crew got on. Plotting a caper so soon after meeting, given her established suspicious nature, just seemed lazy and rushed. The stuff with Glen and Maggie was good. I still expect Glen to lose something at some point. I am of the opinion that he should be the next major character to die.

I have trouble seeing where to go after the prison arc. Could Woodbury stand-in for Alexandria?
post #532 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Matchstick View Post

#TeamPrison

 

Right after the rapey scene.

post #533 of 1655
So I gather the Governor actually does assault one of the female characters in the comics. Weird that they'd tip-toe right up to that and then not go all the way... trying to keep the Guv'nah at least passingly likable, maybe?
post #534 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

the stand out moment for me from this episode was when the group was trapped in the cabin and threw out the "bait" to distract the walkers....then the close ups of walkers chowing down....blood smeared hands and faces...followed by a cut to a "sponsored by KFC" promo ad.
: )

 

This could be the all time worst/best promo placement ever: (Warning, Battlestar Galactica spoilers for those who haven't seen Season 4 and want to)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcum6lPrRo

post #535 of 1655

They need to have Merle join Team Prison rather than going down the tired old "Daryl agonizes over which side he falls on" route. At this stage I wouldn't buy Daryl looking twice at the Governor's set-up, but you know they're going to have him tempted by his brother.

post #536 of 1655

A question I was wondering about, could it have been from a creative standpoint better to have not shown the scene with the National Guard and instead just have the Governor and his men set out and then return with all of those trucks, thereby leaving some ambiguity (well, for the non comic readers anyway) for a while longer about what the Governor is really like and how those bullet holes ended up in the trucks (so there's grounds for suspicion but not absolutely so to the viewer) for starters.

 

All in all, I guess maybe it's possible to have left it at least a bit ambiguous as to whether the Governor was doing what he was doing because he was extremely paranoid from his point of view in terms of protecting his community as opposed to out and out evil.

 

(You'd have to lose the scene with the room full of heads until later too for this to work, I suppose).

post #537 of 1655

Well if Glen as a badass hadn't been previously established, Glen how now been officially been recognized as badass of the year.

 

Also, R.I.P. crazy RIP VAN WINKLE hermit dude. I would have loved to have known your backstory.

post #538 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

They need to have Merle join Team Prison rather than going down the tired old "Daryl agonizes over which side he falls on" route. At this stage I wouldn't buy Daryl looking twice at the Governor's set-up, but you know they're going to have him tempted by his brother.

 

Yep. The writers have gone to such great lengths to cement Daryl as one of the good guys (with great success, I should add); any wavering on this front so soon is going to be weird and awkward and kind of nonsensical.  In some alternate universe, there's a better version of the show where a less-crazy more-conflicted Merle is the one caught in the middle.

 

But whatever, I liked this episode.  This season is just flying.  

post #539 of 1655

THUD REVIEW: THE WALKING DEAD -- "WHEN THE DEAD COME KNOCKING" (S3E7)

 

I must have rewritten the first two paragraphs to this six times. I certainly don't want to justify some of the things we see the Governor doing, specifically the rapey stuff from last night. But it seems like the show is going out of its way to present two sides to the character, and all it's doing is muddling his motivations. And it hasn't helped that some of his most evil actions (killing the helicopter pilot, ordering Merle to find and kill Michonne) have occurred off-screen. It's almost to the point where I'd wish they'd drop the pretensions of making this a complex villain and just go full-on crazy with him. Anyone agree with me here? Am I getting that point across in the review?

post #540 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB79 View Post

So I gather the Governor actually does assault one of the female characters in the comics. Weird that they'd tip-toe right up to that and then not go all the way... trying to keep the Guv'nah at least passingly likable, maybe?

 

I'm glad they didn't. This might sound funny considering the number of decapitations and overall violence we see every episode, but I think having the Governor rape Maggie would have taken the show in an ugly direction.

post #541 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post

 

I'm glad they didn't. This might sound funny considering the number of decapitations and overall violence we see every episode, but I think having the Governor rape Maggie would have taken the show in an ugly direction.

 

They must have interesting conversations in the writers' room because I agree that a full-on rape is probably too heavy and ugly for the show ... and yet at the same time the whole "trying to keep the Governor passably likable thing" just isn't working for me. That's why I think they've got that character in such an odd spot.

post #542 of 1655

I'm not seeing the balancing act you're seeing. Like, at all. They've made it clear he is one insane, unpleasant weirdo.

post #543 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak chase View Post

 

They must have interesting conversations in the writers' room because I agree that a full-on rape is probably too heavy and ugly for the show ... and yet at the same time the whole "trying to keep the Governor passably likable thing" just isn't working for me. That's why I think they've got that character in such an odd spot.

 

I'm glad there was at least the threat of rape. Because I'll agree, the Governor hasn't seemed quite so...heinous in the previous two or three episodes. At least not as heinous as Merle, and seeing as how Merle is ultimately afraid of the Governor, I think that's a problem. We definitely saw the Governor at his most vile last night, but I'd still like to see a scene where he completely loses his shit. Just something more to show why a tough guy like Merle would take orders from him.

post #544 of 1655

The Governor is almost cartoonishly evil.  

post #545 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

I'm not seeing the balancing act you're seeing. Like, at all. They've made it clear he is one insane, unpleasant weirdo.

 

Well, unpleasant for sure. I'm with you there. Insane? The zombie heads seem to indicate so. But everything else I feel like the show is awkwardly trying to justify, though.

post #546 of 1655

He killed an entire troop of National Guardsmen unprovoked, murdered the helicopter pilot and added his head to his Zombie Aquarium, ordered the murder of Michonne, and is keeping his undead daughter as a pet and trying to comb her hair. He has to have some veneer of respectability - he's trying to run a community - but they've done plenty to signpost that he's serious unhinged.
 

post #547 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

He killed an entire troop of National Guardsmen unprovoked, murdered the helicopter pilot and added his head to his Zombie Aquarium, ordered the murder of Michonne, and is keeping his undead daughter as a pet and trying to comb her hair.
 


The Guardsman -- rationalized as protecting the town and stocking up on supplies

 

Murdered the pilot -- off-screen

 

Zombie aquarium -- admittedly fucked

 

Ordered the murder of Michonne -- off-screen

 

Keeping his undead daughter as a pet -- rationalized, and he's even sponsoring zombie Milton's zombie experiements in an effort to determine if any of his daughter is still in there

 

No doubt the guy is a bad dude. But I still think the show has been very awkward in showing us how bad and why.

post #548 of 1655

Off-screen doesn't equal rationalized, though. And if the Guardsmen murders were at all justifiable - if HE believed they were justifiable - he wouldn't have lied about them so extensively. AND him wanting to cure his zombie daughter also isn't a rationalization, it's just another sign of his mental problems.
 

post #549 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak chase View Post

The Guardsman -- rationalized as protecting the town and stocking up on supplies

 

Really?  That's what he told his goons, but I'm assuming he ultimately sees an organized military unit as a threat to his total power.  These guys probably wouldn't follow his crazy ass orders, and he wanted to give the guns and ammo to the wackos that would.  There's a reason he has a lunatic like Merle as his #2.  To me, there's no moral grey area here.

 

The thing is The Governor is so charming and affable when he wants to be.  Its easy to see how the Woodbury folks were won over.  We, the audience, know more than they do though.  

post #550 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop View Post

 

Really?  That's what he told his goons, but I'm assuming he ultimately sees an organized military unit as a threat to his total power.

 

Or you could assume he ultimately sees an organized military unit as a threat to the bitchin' community he's put together that runs all nice and smooth like.

 

Look, even if I admit the only way to see the Governor is as a full-on psycho -- which you guys are doing a good job of convincing me of, by the way -- I'd still argue the show has gone about presenting that information in a not entirely effective fashion. (All the off-screen stuff, for example.)


Edited by zak chase - 11/26/12 at 8:52am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The Walking Dead Season 3