My favorite of the "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" film brats. He's one of the directors that made me fall in love with film. Continually underrated (except perhaps by Generation X critics), his films rewards repeat viewing, and his best work is up with the master Hitchcock. With a new movie hitting soon, I thought now would be a good time to list favorites, and discuss his best (and worst).
My Top 10:
1. BODY DOUBLE - so ahead of its time
2. BLOW OUT - the 70's sucked, with the 80's a bad moon rising, few films get the vibe of the times like this masterpiece
3. THE FURY -Godard's favorite and one of mine
4. CARRIE - the extended build up to the dumping of the pig's blood excruciatingly suspenseful! One of many of his perfect films
5. OBSESSION - collaboration with Schrader his most underrated; swirling, reved up airport finale a brilliant sequence
6. SCARFACE - an 80's over the top masterpiece; motel chainsaw scene a masterclass of suspense
7. SISTERS - his first Hitch homage, brilliant use of split screen; Salt's drug induced nightmare one of his most horrifying sequences
8. HI, MOM - one of the masterpieces of counter culture cinema
9. DRESSED TO KILL - his most darkly funny and audacious Hitch tribute
10 PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE - rock n' roll musical a true cult classic
Honorable mention: CARLITO'S WAY, FEMME FATALE, CASUALTIES OF WAR
What say you folks?