or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Pre-Release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Pre-Release

post #1 of 10533
Thread Starter 

So, uh, Disney is buying Lucasfilm and making Star Wars: Episode 7 in 2015.

 

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING.

post #2 of 10533

This HAS to be a world record on the creation of a pre-release thread.

post #3 of 10533
Thread Starter 

I figured we'd all want to look back one day with our grandchildren and show them when the internet collectively shit itself, for good or ill.

post #4 of 10533

Hahahahahah

post #5 of 10533
LOL at the state of cinema. That's all I have to say.

"'We're pleased to carry forward the beloved legacy of Star Wars. Lucasfilm will be an enormous asset to the Diney brand." - some suit wearing fuck some time in the next 24 hours.
post #6 of 10533

Thank God! This could resurrect Kevin Smith's career.  At the very least this could get us a Clerks 3.
 

post #7 of 10533

So you guys think VII would be based on that animated series, or do you really think Disney is going to attempt another live-action Star Wars film.

post #8 of 10533

This sounds live action ... boy came out of left field.

 

The next question is, 7,8,9 or a one shot?!!?

post #9 of 10533

I hope that Brad Bird is polishing up his resume...

post #10 of 10533

This will be a good day for hits on movie news sites!

post #11 of 10533

I think this is awesome.

post #12 of 10533

Brad Bird's Star Wars 7. Joss Whedon's Star Wars 8. Paul Greengrass's Star Wars 9.

 

 

Starring Nicholas Cage.

post #13 of 10533
Thread Starter 

What I'm surprised about, more than anything, is how this managed to get a reaction out of me. I'm a pretty big SW dork and I've been jaded for quite some time that nothing really affects me anymore. Now that I see George is out of the way, no longer around to fuck with things like the OT or block its release, it makes me very hopeful. This is the company behind Pixar and Marvel. Star Wars is about to get fun again.

post #14 of 10533

Personal dream: The HAN SOLO trilogy by Brian Daley.  Adapt those three books and I'll be a very happy man.

post #15 of 10533

HOLY SHIT!!!  

 

That's my initial reaction.

 

Now having calmed down, I wonder what the fuck this will turn out to be.  What's the story?  Who's writing, directing?  Acting?  What's the budget?  How much will it make?  What kind of bizarre star alignment is happening to make this a reality?  Most important of all, how many pages will this thread end up being?

post #16 of 10533

Shaun H, WHAT?  Disney Buy's...Lucasfilm?  Is there any possibility that Disney releases a film where...The Avengers and The Guardians Of The Galaxy use a wormhole and end up in the...STAR WARS UNIVERSE? It isn't even...April Fools Day!

post #17 of 10533

Question answered!

 

: Star Wars episodes eight and nine will follow, Disney says in press release.

post #18 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

What I'm surprised about, more than anything, is how this managed to get a reaction out of me. I'm a pretty big SW dork and I've been jaded for quite some time that nothing really effects me anymore. Now that I see George is out of the way, no longer around to fuck with things like the OT or block its release, it makes me very hopeful. This is the company behind Pixar and Marvel. Star Wars is about to get fun again.

Dude same here.. I'm all kind of excited again!  Now I wonder if Disney has any say on releases of the OT..like putting out the original editions.

post #19 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

What I'm surprised about, more than anything, is how this managed to get a reaction out of me. I'm a pretty big SW dork and I've been jaded for quite some time that nothing really effects me anymore. Now that I see George is out of the way, no longer around to fuck with things like the OT or block its release, it makes me very hopeful. This is the company behind Pixar and Marvel. Star Wars is about to get fun again.

They own Pixar, but they're not behind it. The people who empowered Pixar were not originally from within Disney. In the case of Marvel, they saw something working well, a shiny object they liked, and so they bought it. That does not mean that they're the people behind the good idea.
post #20 of 10533

haha this thread.

 

I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I'm happy for you guys. You can finally stop being treated like battered wives. 

post #21 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Personal dream: The HAN SOLO trilogy by Brian Daley.  Adapt those three books and I'll be a very happy man.

I was always fond of the Young Han Solo trilogy from AC Crispin. Those books were amazing. Han Solo is a true anti hero there.
post #22 of 10533

Disney also picks up ILM, Skywalker Sound and LucasArts, it's like a god damn George Lucas yard sale.

post #23 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

What I'm surprised about, more than anything, is how this managed to get a reaction out of me. I'm a pretty big SW dork and I've been jaded for quite some time that nothing really affects me anymore. Now that I see George is out of the way, no longer around to fuck with things like the OT or block its release, it makes me very hopeful. This is the company behind Pixar and Marvel. Star Wars is about to get fun again.

 

Are you kidding?  Have you seen Tron Legacy and John Carter?  DISNEY is making Star Wars movies, not co-producing with another studio like Marvel.  And Pixar is its own beast.  How can people think this is somehow good for the series?  Disney is about as talented as Lucas.

post #24 of 10533
Thread Starter 

Best part about all of this? I recently had my first (and probably only) child and I realized that my little boy gets to grow up with it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

They own Pixar, but they're not behind it. The people who empowered Pixar were not originally from within Disney. In the case of Marvel, they saw something working well, a shiny object they liked, and so they bought it. That does not mean that they're the people behind the good idea.

 

My point is that they're associated with quality.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

Are you kidding?  Have you seen Tron Legacy and John Carter?  DISNEY is making Star Wars movies, not co-producing with another studio like Marvel.  And Pixar is its own beast.  How can people think this is somehow good for the series?  Disney is about as talented as Lucas.

 

Still don't have lightsabers :P

post #25 of 10533

So if this is was some sort of fallout from "John Carter" bombing? Then....uh.....I'm kinda OK with that!

post #26 of 10533

 

 

 

Quote:
George Lucas will serve as creative consultant on the film and Kathleen Kennedy, the filmmaker George handpicked to lead Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the rest of Lucasfilm into the future will be the executive producer (she’s also joining Disney as president of Lucasfilm). With this many characters to develop and stories to tell, Disney plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future.
post #27 of 10533

There's plenty of cross-pollination, though, like bringing Stanton in for John Carter. And eeeeyyy, I quite liked John Carter. Unless I'm mistaken, Disney owns Marvel just like it owns Lucasfilm now. Why is one considered 'another studio' while Lucasfilm gets subsumed entirely into the Disney Leviathan? Serious question, if there's a solid answer for that distinction then I am very interested in hearing it.

post #28 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

 

Are you kidding?  Have you seen Tron Legacy and John Carter?  DISNEY is making Star Wars movies, not co-producing with another studio like Marvel.  And Pixar is its own beast.  How can people think this is somehow good for the series?  Disney is about as talented as Lucas.

 

Wow, you're really determined to pee icewater on the parade. And Disney is far more talented than Lucas. They could hand this to John Turtletaub and it'll still turn out better than the prequels.

post #29 of 10533
WHen Steve Jobs sold Pixar, he won for Pixar unprecedented creative freedoms and controls over their own future. The employees of Pixar cheered upon hearing the terms of the deal, reportedly feeling as if Pixar had just bought Disney, not the other way around.

Lucas looks like he was just in it for the cash. He fucking ties up Indiana Jones for near 20 years till he can get things just how he wants them (which was shit), and now he just up and turns things over to some random people who plan to wring every last dollar of profit from these properties at a pace of a film every 2-3 years "for the foreseeable future"? Neither he nor Kennedy have any real power in this arrangement. Disney's say is the final word in any dispute.

WTF???

And Disney isn't the right company to give that kind of creative freedom to. Look at Tron and John Carter. I don't want the next Indiana Jones to be "kid friendly" and a "four quadrant film", but now there is no possibility it will be anything else - till the end of history, Disney suits will control these characters.
post #30 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post

There's plenty of cross-pollination, though, like bringing Stanton in for John Carter. And eeeeyyy, I quite liked John Carter. Unless I'm mistaken, Disney owns Marvel just like it owns Lucasfilm now. Why is one considered 'another studio' while Lucasfilm gets subsumed entirely into the Disney Leviathan? Serious question, if there's a solid answer for that distinction then I am very interested in hearing it.

 

Marvel develops its own films, they are literally a separate studio, they are simply owned by Disney now who distributes the films...as far as I know they have very little input creatively.  I just don't see how people are jumping for joy at this news...Disney's best stuff is from Pixar, and they develop their own stuff, Disney, again, merely distributes for the most part.  Do you honestly believe Disney is just going to hand over the creative side of a franchise they just paid $4billion for to a visionary talented enough to make something great?  They will committee and market test that shit into the fucking ground.  This series is purely a cash cow now, nothing more.  They will treat it like a $2 whore.  At least Lucas had the decency to stop making Star Wars films.  Now they'll be popping out like Mexican babies.  Will it be better than Phantom Menace?  Maybe, but that's not saying much.

post #31 of 10533

Steve Jobs sold Pixar for $$$ and because he was done with it. I mean c'mon dude.

post #32 of 10533

I watch Disney movies all the time with the kids. I have no problem with these franchises being a bit more 'kid friendly' if it means they aren't going to SUCK BALLS.

post #33 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitanAmerica View Post

Steve Jobs sold Pixar for $$$ and because he was done with it. I mean c'mon dude.

That is true, but read about the deal he got for Pixar. It was unprecedented and he helped to protect their legacy. There was a whole chapter on it in the Jobs biography.
post #34 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post

I watch Disney movies all the time with the kids. I have no problem with these franchises being a bit more 'kid friendly' if it means they aren't going to SUCK BALLS.

So you're ok with Indiana Jones never seeing another torn out heart, or melted face? Because that sure wasn't something aimed at 7 year olds.
post #35 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post

I watch Disney movies all the time with the kids. I have no problem with these franchises being a bit more 'kid friendly' if it means they aren't going to SUCK BALLS.

Yeah, I don't think anybody is clamoring for these movies to be grim n' gritty. Let's start with "good", then take it from there.

post #36 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

Yeah, I don't think anybody is clamoring for these movies to be grim n' gritty. Let's start with "good", then take it from there.

We are talking about the franchise featuring enslaved children, a hero who seduced his mentor's teenage daughter, and people chopped up in plane propellers, right? I'm not saying "grim and gritty", I'm saying I'm worried Indiana Jones will no longer be Indiana Jones.
post #37 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

So you're ok with Indiana Jones never seeing another torn out heart, or melted face? Because that sure wasn't something aimed at 7 year olds.

 

Sure, I can deal with an interpretation that eschews those things if we get fights on Zeppelins and adventure and Jungle Tombs instead of silly aliens and Monkey Mohawks. The franchise was already in a pretty bad place, yo.

 

After Crystal Skull, Indiana Jones was no longer Indiana Jones.

post #38 of 10533
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

This series is purely a cash cow now, nothing more.  They will treat it like a $2 whore.

 

Star Wars is already at that point, so at the least it should remain status quo. See also: Nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

So you're ok with Indiana Jones never seeing another torn out heart, or melted face? Because that sure wasn't something aimed at 7 year olds.
 

You're right, it should've remained protected with the nuking of fridges and set-ups for Shia-fucking-Labeouf.

 

Am I living in a goddamn alternate universe where up until 1 hour ago the most recent incarnations of Star Wars and Indiana Jones were untainted?

post #39 of 10533

I'd always kinda hoped we'd see Episodes 7-9 as animated movies with the original actors providing voices. I don't need to see a Luke and Leia that look like the current actors. Re-cast?  Set the story years later? I guess a bearded Hammill with a robe wouldn't be the most depressing thing ever. 

 

Actually, I think that last sentence was the most depressing thing ever.

post #40 of 10533

A Thrawn Trilogy, please. Followed by a Shadows of the Empire movie.

post #41 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

We are talking about the franchise featuring enslaved children, a hero who seduced his mentor's teenage daughter, and people chopped up in plane propellers, right? I'm not saying "grim and gritty", I'm saying I'm worried Indiana Jones will no longer be Indiana Jones.

I was talking about Star Wars, actually. Indy's already plunged into the shitter.

post #42 of 10533
Well, I guess I can buy Johnny Depp as Han Solo. Or Chewbacca.
post #43 of 10533

A bearded Mark Hamill in a robe would be fantastic, you're nuts.

post #44 of 10533

Jason Statham for the son of Han Solo and Leia.  Make it happen.

post #45 of 10533

I have to think Disney understands that no one wants to see a swashbuckling action-adventure trilogy starring a trio of 60something leads.

 

Don't I?

post #46 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

 

Star Wars is already at that point, 

 

Yes, and after that I said at least Lucas stopped making those films.  Why is it suddenly good that an obvious cash cow will be popping out movies like the Saw franchise?  These actions do not come from a studio interested in quality...they literally admitted they will treat it like a tentpole factory.  What tentpole factory in the history of the movie business has ever turned out good? (besides the original trilogy, which obviously wasn't studio generated)

post #47 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

I have to think Disney understands that no one wants to see a swashbuckling action-adventure trilogy starring a trio of 60something leads.

 

Don't I?

 

While I agree, I also have to admit that I've love to see Mark Hamill get into shape, lose the gut, and play Luke just once more...preferably as a cameo.

post #48 of 10533

That's a wrong assumption. Bring the trio back damn it! Mark Hamill's agent is literally doing a cartwheel at this moment.

post #49 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
 What tentpole factory in the history of the movie business has ever turned out good? (besides the original trilogy)

 

LOL

post #50 of 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post

A bearded Mark Hamill in a robe would be fantastic, you're nuts.


No, I'm down for it. I think he's the same age as Alec Guiness when he made A New Hope.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Pre-Release