or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › IRON MAN 3 IS SERIOUS ABOUT HOW NOT SERIOUS IT IS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IRON MAN 3 IS SERIOUS ABOUT HOW NOT SERIOUS IT IS

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
by Tim Kelly: link

Kevin Feige & Co. set the record straight about the tone of Tony Stark's latest rompus.
post #2 of 25

Richard Pryor is still dead, right?

post #3 of 25

I was hoping this entry would be more serious, so this is unsettling news. First they watered down the Demon in the Bottle story line for Iron Man 2, and now they're telling us that the cool trailer they debuted a few months back isn't actually representative of the film they made. I guess when Disney is in charge, all entertainment needs to be "family friendly". 

post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

I was hoping this entry would be more serious, so this is unsettling news. First they watered down the Demon in the Bottle story line for Iron Man 2, and now they're telling us that the cool trailer they debuted a few months back isn't actually representative of the film they made. I guess when Disney is in charge, all entertainment needs to be "family friendly". 

But would that really have been the case if Marvel wasn't a part of Disney? For a long time now, the pg-13 rating might as well be PG as far as most action-adventure films are concerned. Families and children go to see these movies; there's no way Marvel will have these movies go "too dark."

post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

But would that really have been the case if Marvel wasn't a part of Disney? For a long time now, the pg-13 rating might as well be PG as far as most action-adventure films are concerned. Families and children go to see these movies; there's no way Marvel will have these movies go "too dark."

Yes but you can make a more serious PG 13 film than Iron Man 2. I'm not asking for a hard R Iron Man, just something that takes it's own story seriously, and doesn't try to pass itself off as nothing more than a "ride" for summer audiences. 

post #6 of 25

"The trick is just trying to make great movies."

 

Kevin Feige, brush that MAVERICK RESIDUE off your shoulder.

post #7 of 25

Nobody needs a grim Iron Man movie.

post #8 of 25

With Shane Black at the helm, I'm really just hoping for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with robot suits. 

post #9 of 25

"It's all about capturing that demon-in-a-bottle feel!  ... wait..."

post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post

With Shane Black at the helm, I'm really just hoping for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with robot suits. 

 

With Val Kilmer as The Fatmandarin.

 

Cheap.

post #11 of 25

The subtext of these "not going bigger" statements seems to be "we can't afford to make this The Avengers, so check that expectation".  Luckily, I think Shane Black's strengths are not budget-centric... and honestly, neither are Iron Man's.

 

I'm more concerned about the slow descent into every big movie having a Mac & Me-style "Isn't China GREAT!?" message.

post #12 of 25

Of course, there's also the potential that they can go into Iron Man 4 with, "Okay, we're going huge now, because NOW we mean business!" And that's a movie we probably won't see until 2017, so it makes sense.

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe T View Post

Of course, there's also the potential that they can go into Iron Man 4 with, "Okay, we're going huge now, because NOW we mean business!" And that's a movie we probably won't see until 2017, so it makes sense.


I'm more impatient for AVENGERS 2 frankly. Hard to go back to small solo adventures after they let the cat outta the bag (for me anyway).

post #14 of 25

With Shane Black at the helm, I wouldn't expect it to be a brooding Bergmanesque Iron Man (although wouldn't that be something), but Downey's wisecracky smarm is starting to grate. I blame the Sherlock Holmes movies.

post #15 of 25

Through a Glass Starkly?

 

Nah...

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

Nobody needs a grim Iron Man movie.

And I don't think anyone is saying they want a grim Iron Man. But if Marvel really is going to pull off this cinematic universe, then they have to do something with these characters; they should be growing with each and every film. An Iron Man can certainly still be more serious while still maintaining the fun expected from the franchise.

post #17 of 25

And it'll probably feature serious moments. I just don't think anybody's going to get Demon in Bottle with all the epic homeless befriending and whatnot.

post #18 of 25

You know what I realized? The odds this will be the first Shane Black film I won't enjoy are so miniscule I'm not even bothering with following news about this.

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

With Val Kilmer as The Fatmandarin.

 

Cheap.

 

I want this so much.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios View Post

You know what I realized? The odds this will be the first Shane Black film I won't enjoy are so miniscule I'm not even bothering with following news about this.

 

Pretty much the same here.

post #20 of 25

You know who Shane Black needs to bring back for this Iron Man movie?

 

ProtoCop from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!

 

 

R.I.P ProtoCop


Edited by MrSaxon - 11/29/12 at 7:44am
post #21 of 25

Protocop, cretin. PROTOCOP!

post #22 of 25
Protocop is one of the funniest scenes in the history of cinema. Poor bastard just wanted to drink and bake cookies in his Proto-suit. Terribly unfortunate.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Protocop, cretin. PROTOCOP!

OhmyGod. I'm so ashamed. PLEASE DON'T TELL ANYONE!!!!

post #24 of 25

Just as long as it has a consistent plot and actually takes it's villains seriously it will be better than Iron Man 2. A villain that isn't just another dude in a robot suit or using Tony's reactor would be nice too. And obviously Stark will never die, but some tension would be great.

post #25 of 25

I have no issue with Iron Man 3 containing a healthy dollop of wry humor, but I want the story here to be taken seriously. Part of what made Iron Man 2 such a disappointment was its failure to take anything seriously, so its villains come off as impotent jokes and its through-line about Tony's slow death at the hands of his arc reactor just feels perfunctory.

 

Basically, I just don't want to have another party scene here. That entire sequence made me want to throw up all over myself.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: CHUD.COM Main
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › IRON MAN 3 IS SERIOUS ABOUT HOW NOT SERIOUS IT IS