or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE CHEWERS › Drafts & Lists › CHEWER'S 100 GREATEST TEARJERKING MOVIES OR MOMENTS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CHEWER'S 100 GREATEST TEARJERKING MOVIES OR MOMENTS

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 

Thought this would be an interesting topic. Can be tears of sorrow or tears of joy. 

 

 

1.25th Hour (2002, Spike Lee)

 

 

"This life came so close to never happening."

post #2 of 63

2. The Iron Giant 

 

 

'nuff said?

post #3 of 63

You knew this was coming:

 

 

As I've said elsewhere, what really gets me is when the dog tries to follow E.T.

post #4 of 63

I would've sworn we'd done something like this before. Oh well.

 

4)

 

post #5 of 63
5. Major Heyward's self-sacrifice, the courage of Uncas in his futile charge to rescue Alice, Hawkeye's cry as he sees his brother fall, the look of pure defiance on Alice's face as she moves away from Magua towards the edge and finally Chingachgook's fearsome, heartbreaking charge to avenge his son, all scored by one of the greatest pieces of film music in history. It starts with one of the bravest moments of heroic selflessness in cinema and ends with one of the most badass moments of heroic vengeance in cinema.

The climactic moments of Michael Mann's The Last Of The Mohicans are tearjerkingly and goosebumpingly magnificent.

post #6 of 63
Debora Wingers deathbed speech to her children in Terms of Endearment.
post #7 of 63

7. Hazel's Death.

 

 

The part where he looks across to his family kills me.

 

And yes, haven't we just done this thread? And didn't I post this same vid?

post #8 of 63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBtzudk40pE Even a king will bow to those who are worthy and none were more so than four little hobbits

post #9 of 63
I. The death of Two Socks (Dances with Wolves)

It is so sad because it was Costner who trained him not to fear humans, and that loss of his 'wild' instinct is what allowed the white men to get the drop on him. God I feel sad just thinking about it. Few movies allow a dog to die, so when it happens the impact is felt all the more.
post #10 of 63

10.  Children of Men cease fire

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBzWTIexszQ

post #11 of 63
Great choice.
post #12 of 63

  A movie has never made me cry but there are two episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer did. The finale of season 5 when Buffy sacrificed herself for Dawn and the finale of season six when Willow broke down after Xander told her her loved her.

post #13 of 63

Brian's Song, the deathbed scene with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. I caught this scene a few weeks ago, and it crushed me just as hard as when I saw it as a pre teen when it first aired as an ABC Movie of the Week back in 1971.

post #14 of 63

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins - when Chiun tells Remo that he would kill him if he had to.
 

post #15 of 63

(Assuming I'm counting these right)

 

14.  Warrior (2011, Gavin O'Connor)

 

I just saw this, and I wouldn't hesitate to classify it was a "weepie for guys." It goes all out to pull on the heart strings: a father and his two sons, all bitterly estranged from one another; Tom Hardy's supporting the widow and orphans of his dead war buddy; Joel Edgerton's a school teacher facing forclosure following his young daughter's illness, and is forced back into the MMA world to provide for his family; Nick Nolte's struggling to atone for the sins of his past, despite his sons' rejection of his overtures. And how do these poor guys deal with all this pain and turmoil in their lives? The way guys do, with punches, kicks, body slams, and choke holds! Seriously, this movie's like Far from Heaven if the characters in Far from Heaven dealt with the melodrama in their lives by beating the shit out of one another in cage matches. It's powerful stuff.

post #16 of 63
15.

Snoopy's good bye party in Snoopy, Come Home.
post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turingmachine75 View Post

15.

Snoopy's good bye party in Snoopy, Come Home.

 

Oh, God, yes.  My eight year-old self definitely agrees with you.  

post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vivisector View Post

Brian's Song, the deathbed scene with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. I caught this scene a few weeks ago, and it crushed me just as hard as when I saw it as a pre teen when it first aired as an ABC Movie of the Week back in 1971.

 

Nothing tops this.  It's pretty devastating.

post #19 of 63

Listen to Caan and Williams on the commentary track as they watch it.  That's pretty devastating.
 

post #20 of 63

16. MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

 

The amputation scene.  When Paul Bettany says 'I've never met a braver patient', I will admit to having a tear in my eye.

post #21 of 63

Speaking of that scene, I am pleased to see Max Pirkis has apparently returned to acting.  He was terrific in M&C and Rome, and I'd feared he'd just given it up altogether.

 

On a side note, guys saying "I'll admit I almost had a tear" or some such nonsense belongs in the "tired shit" thread.  Just say you cried.  Nobody gives a shit.

post #22 of 63

17. THE BOAT THAT ROCKED, dir. by Richard Curtis

At the end of Richard Curtis' The Boat That Rocked, Philip Seymour-Hoffman's "The Count" refuses to let the best days of his life end and stays in a sinking boat for the love of his music. Something about the character and the way Hoffman plays him makes him relate to me on such a personal level, as a musician and lover of rock and roll myself and as someone who simply wishes he could hangout with a person like The Count. So I'm always devastated when the boat sinks and he's the only one remaining on board, and I'm always overjoyed when he bursts out of the water at the last second and lets out that big scream of "ROCK AND ROLL!" It makes me cry every time.

I'm not ashamed.

post #23 of 63

18. Where The Red Fern Grows (1974)

 

I was tortured with this at least 3 times in elementary school. Why our teachers wanted to show us this over and over, I have no idea, but towards the end, where Old Dan dies? Dudes, I ALMOST cried but don't worry I'm tough.*

 

* I BAWLED LIKE A BABY.

post #24 of 63

19. Glory

 

A two-fer, as there are two scenes that have always stuck with me, for differing reasons.

 

The first is obvious, the tight close-in on Denzel's face as he gets whipped for going AWOL, with COL Shaw and the remainder of the regiment watching.

 

The second may be less obvious.  After the brave and failed attempt to take Fort Wagner, there is a touching moment watching them bury the dead.  They (slow-mo) dropping COL Shaw into their little burial pit, and a few moments later they drop Trip (Denzel in).  His body comes to rest on Shaw.  It is a beautiful meaningful shot that the film earns, and it always gets me.

 

The anecdotal story from Shaw's family is that the troops defending Fort Wagner considered burying Shaw with his colored regiment as an insult.  His family stated that he would have (rightly) considered it an honor. 

post #25 of 63

20.  The final scene of Peter Weir's FEARLESS.  You won't get the full impact unless you watch the entire movie, but, Jesus, this is a piledriver to the tear ducts.

 

post #26 of 63

20. Dear Zachary

 

All of it. This movie absolutely wrecked me.

post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post

20. Dear Zachary

 

All of it. This movie absolutely wrecked me.

 

Wrecked, and consumed with rage, that movie is a horrifying experience. 

post #28 of 63

21. Toy Story 2  "When Somebody Loved Me."

 

yeah, try to not cry....I dare you.

 


Edited by VTRan - 1/15/13 at 8:27am
post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

5. Major Heyward's self-sacrifice, the courage of Uncas in his futile charge to rescue Alice, Hawkeye's cry as he sees his brother fall, the look of pure defiance on Alice's face as she moves away from Magua towards the edge and finally Chingachgook's fearsome, heartbreaking charge to avenge his son, all scored by one of the greatest pieces of film music in history. It starts with one of the bravest moments of heroic selflessness in cinema and ends with one of the most badass moments of heroic vengeance in cinema.

The climactic moments of Michael Mann's The Last Of The Mohicans are tearjerkingly and goosebumpingly magnificent.

 

The most underrated film of the 90's imo.

post #30 of 63

Glad to see Mohicans getting a little surge in love around here lately.  I've been beating that drum for years.

post #31 of 63

22.  Maybe a personal one (I have issues).  Finding Nemo: "Daddy's here, Daddy's got you".


every single time.

post #32 of 63

23.  Stewart -  A Life Backwards.

 

At the end, when the Benedict Cumberbatch character finds Stewart's tape in his car and listens to it.

 

post #33 of 63
22. Another Daniel Day-Lewis film with a moment which fills the eyes is In The Name Of The Father. Seeing that in the theatre was the first time I became aware of how great Pete Postlethwaite was, and he made me love Giuseppe Conlon and that, along with DDL's performance, made Gerry losing Giuseppe a wildly powerful moment. Throughout the following scene I'm always fighting it, but when it gets to the moment the priest enters and Gerry is sitting staunchly in his chair I can barely hold it. Then when Giuseppe's name is called out across the yard and the fire starts to rain I don't fight it anymore.

post #34 of 63

23. Big Fish

 

I find most of Burton's work too distant so maybe that's why this one is such a gut punch.  If you have any Daddy issues (and really, who doesn't?) this movie destroys you.  It's one of those movies that I own and just can't watch.  It aggressively pulls emotions out of me from some deep spot in my soul I'd thought I'd left them buried.

post #35 of 63

Big Fish I've seen three times now, and it does nothing for me the whole way through. Guh, I say, this just isn't that good. But for some reason, that fucking Eddie Vedder song at the end destroys me completely and makes me think of my parents. 

post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Glad to see Mohicans getting a little surge in love around here lately.  I've been beating that drum for years.


And what a glorious drum to beat. The movie's a goddamn indisputable classic.

post #37 of 63

24. ONCE - This whole movie is an emotional rollercoaster. I almost well up a bit when they play "Falling Slowly" together in the music shop. Not only is it a beautiful song, but that moment perfectly captures the joy and the connection between two artists when they create an intimate piece of work. On the sadder side of the spectrum, the scene where Marketa sits down at the studio's piano in the middle of the night to sing "The Hill" makes me tear up every time. You can really feel the heartbreak as she struggles to sing, and by the time she has to stop all together to compose herself I've got tears running down my cheeks. God I love that film. 

 

On a related note, if you haven't checked out their albums you're missing out on some really great stuff. Also, there is a truly fantastic documentary about Glen and Marketa called The Swell Season on Amazon Prime Instant.

post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Russell View Post

24. ONCE - This whole movie is an emotional rollercoaster. I almost well up a bit when they play "Falling Slowly" together in the music shop. Not only is it a beautiful song, but that moment perfectly captures the joy and the connection between two artists when they create an intimate piece of work. On the sadder side of the spectrum, the scene where Marketa sits down at the studio's piano in the middle of the night to sing "The Hill" makes me tear up every time. You can really feel the heartbreak as she struggles to sing, and by the time she has to stop all together to compose herself I've got tears running down my cheeks. God I love that film. 

 

On a related note, if you haven't checked out their albums you're missing out on some really great stuff. Also, there is a truly fantastic documentary about Glen and Marketa called The Swell Season on Amazon Prime Instant.


bleeeeeuch.....

 

I don't know about "emotional", but "rollercoaster" is applicable seeing as this movie made me want to vomit.

 

(note- cross post this over in the "Getting angry at bad movies" thread)

post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

  A movie has never made me cry but there are two episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer did. The finale of season 5 when Buffy sacrificed herself for Dawn and the finale of season six when Willow broke down after Xander told her her loved her.

 

Throw on that two moments in "The Body". First ,directly before the credits when Buffy sees Joyce. That "Mom? Mom?...Mommy?" breaks my heart every time. Second, the moment a little later when she tells Giles "We're not supposed to move the body!" Man, that episode is so good.

post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post

 

Throw on that two moments in "The Body". First ,directly before the credits when Buffy sees Joyce. That "Mom? Mom?...Mommy?" breaks my heart every time. Second, the moment a little later when she tells Giles "We're not supposed to move the body!" Man, that episode is so good.

 

And I'll add Buffy getting the "Class Protector" award at The Prom.  That's the "You Bow To No One" moment of the series.  

post #41 of 63

Speaking of In the Name of The Father, Emma Thompson.  Just Emma Thompson in general.  She has the ability to reduce me to a child who just found out Santa doesn't exist whilst simultaneously dropping my ice cream cone.  That scene in the courtroom?  Or what about in Sense and Sensibility, when she finds out Edward is free from his commitment to Lucy?  Christ almighty.

 

Also, I am not the biggest fan of the movie Glory, but...

 

 

 

I mean, come on.

post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post

 

Throw on that two moments in "The Body". First ,directly before the credits when Buffy sees Joyce. That "Mom? Mom?...Mommy?" breaks my heart every time. Second, the moment a little later when she tells Giles "We're not supposed to move the body!" Man, that episode is so good.


 a little off topic, but IMO, "The Body" is one of, if not the best and most realistic depictions of someone having to deal with the death of a parent/sibling/someone close to you that has ever been put on film.  

post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRan View Post


 a little off topic, but IMO, "The Body" is one of, if not the best and most realistic depictions of someone having to deal with the death of a parent/sibling/someone close to you that has ever been put on film.  

 

Agreed. I thought it was great the first time I watched it, but gained a whole new level of appreciation for it after my grandfather died. It absolutely nails that feeling of desperately wanting to do something, but not at all knowing what to do.

 

And to get back on topic:

 

25. Finding Nemo - "Please don't go away."

 

Someone mentioned another Finding Nemo moment above, but this to me is the real tearjerker.

 

 

Ellen is absolutely phenomenal in this movie. She crushes this moment.


Edited by SomethingClever - 1/15/13 at 7:27pm
post #44 of 63

26. Heat - Charlene warning Chris about the cops. Some of Val Kilmer's best acting. 

post #45 of 63

25.  Powder - Lance Henriksen's final moments with his wife, connected with his son are painful to watch.  His best dramatic work is on display in those moments.

post #46 of 63

26. The Grey - There are a number of moments that could easily fit but the one that got me was surprisingly early on in the film. MILD SPOILER!

 

Shortly after the crash occurs and the survivors have returned to the wrecked cabin. One of the men (played by James Badge Dale) is suffering from a severe leg wound. It's looking very grim and Liam Neeson's character sees this and immediately steps in. Rather than giving him the traditional "You're going to be fine", he matter-of-factly tells the man that he is going to die. 

 

This scene knocked the shit out of me to be honest. Just the reaction from Dale's character and the way Neeson comforts him as best he can under the circumstances. At one point Neeson asks him "Who do you love?" and to let that person take him away. Plus the reactions from the men around them really sold the reality of what happened and what they were up against.

 

(my other pick was Frank Grillo's scene towards the end... "My name's John."......shit most of that movie wrecked me now that I think about it)

post #47 of 63

28. The Green Mile- John Coffey's execution scene. Gets me every damn time. frown.gif

 


Edited by John Matrix - 1/16/13 at 3:34pm
post #48 of 63
29. The ending to Germany Year Zero/ "Edmund's Suicide"

So devestating. The whole movie is about this child's attempt to keep his family together in postwar Berlin. But he eventually loses any hope of that and has to euthanize his father and searches Berlin for a place of acceptance but is rejected and loses all hope and climbs a tall ruin of a building and jumps off so sad, makes me tear up thinking about here's a clip of the ending.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4jWi3JymbSI
post #49 of 63
30. MONSTERS INC.

'...Boo?'
'Kitty!'
post #50 of 63

Some of the moments already listed are some serious tearjerkers.

 

This is the first time I remember sobbing in a movie theater, when I was just a kid.  I can't even watch it now without tearing up.

 

#31

 

"Champ, wake up!"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Drafts & Lists
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE CHEWERS › Drafts & Lists › CHEWER'S 100 GREATEST TEARJERKING MOVIES OR MOMENTS