or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Orange Is The New Black
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orange Is The New Black

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 

Pretty interesting new show from Netflix about life in a women's prison.  Kate Mulgrew is definitely the standout in the early going, but Taylor Schilling is pretty good in the lead as well.

 

It's not crazy funny or intensely dramatic, which makes it hard to rave about, but it's very much not like anything on even the more  outre cable networks.  Which I think actually bodes well for Netflix carving out an identity for itself as a producer of content, more so than making more Arrested Development, in fact. 

 

Anyway, it's good.  And you don't have anything else to tide you over until Breaking Bad comes back, so give it a look.

post #2 of 56
I've watched about 4 or 5 episodes into it.

I like it. It feels kinda scattered, but for a show I put on while working, I don't mind.
post #3 of 56

I've already learnt all I need to know about life in a women's prison from growing up watching USA Up All Night way back when. I don't want to tarnish those wonderful memories.

post #4 of 56

I just started the 3rd episode (which was directed by Jodie Foster?!?), and I'm enjoying it much more than I expected. It's built a really unique universe quickly. It also has a little bit of Lost's DNA, with the flashbacks illuminating character in a way that isn't too awkward. 

 

Knowing the counselor played Steve the Drunk on Deadwood, I keep expecting him to erupt in an insane racist rant.

post #5 of 56

I read the AV Club review today and I am jazzed to start watching it. I have plans for it tomorrow.

post #6 of 56
I just finished the third episode and I really love this so far! Along with Hannibal, Orphan Black and Game of Cards this might be my favorite new TV show of the year (way to go Netflix!) it's so excellent definitely has a Weeds like vibe but its alot better than that honestly and I'm glad we have a show that talks about a serious issue in our country and how prison not only negatively effects the inmates but all also the families too, it's a growing problem, especially with the growth of private prisons. All the character feel realistic and relatable and not charactures at all. Can't wait to finish this ill give more complete thoughts later but truly excellent this far.
post #7 of 56

Yeah this is actually pretty damn good.  Mulgrew is just killing it.  And while it has nothing to do with the quality of the show, hello there Laura Prepon.

post #8 of 56
I think the strongest storyline so far in the show was with Laverne Cox as Sophia . That was done so well and very smart and very great performance by her selling that, alot of times when they have a character like that they either are evil or become unnecessary comic relief. That was anything but that and through episode really gave an arc to make her very strong at the end. I was vastly impressed by that. Because even in Transamerica or Hit and Miss there is an air of weakness in the character but didn't get that from this which I liked. Really impressive.
Edited by KaylaisMagic - 7/13/13 at 6:50pm
post #9 of 56
Just watched episode 9 boy that was brutal. Felt like between episode 3- now it was treading water I liked how they showed the inmates life before prison and the circumstances of their crimes thus making them three dimensional characters, however it was getting a tad tedious and than we get this episode!

I don't want to ruin anything for people but this really me sad and cry for Piper as it was vastly unfair in such vicious way.

Yes this is probably my favorite show of the year it's so good. Such an emotional roller coaster. I really can't speak any more highly of this and shows the humanity of people in a terrible place and horrible situations. I feel generally we think so poorly of people in prison and this shows they are real people not archetypes. It's a lot like Weeds in that has a bit of humor and lightness to tell a very serious in fact sad story. Thanks Netflix for this, truly amazing show! I did get a little worried about the quality of shows after the Hemlock Grove fiasco but this and House of Cards have just great. 2/3 isn't bad.
post #10 of 56

The AV Club posted a glowing review of the first season. I pretty much agree with the faults of the show laid out in the first paragraph, and while I'm more annoyed by the cartoon villainy of the Pennsatucky character, the Jenji Kohan tendency to write dialogue as if the characters are auditioning for A&E's Evening at the Improv, and some of the "wacky" music cues,  this was a really good season of television.

 

This may be double-damning with faint phrase, but this is Jenji Kohan's best, most complete season of TV, and the best season of TV Netflix has put out yet. It seems that the nature of the actors' contracts with Netflix give the company leeway to create shows with a metric fuckton of characters, and Orange is the New Black took advantage of that to build a huge fictional universe filled with empathetic figures, save for Jason Biggs, who's just... bleh.


Edited by Mangy - 7/16/13 at 5:10pm
post #11 of 56
Yeah this show is great. I really can't wait for season 2 though the ending was a little weird. But yeah this show is so good. Also is this the best thing Laura Prepon has done since That 70's show?
post #12 of 56
Thread Starter 

Prepon hasn't done anything good since That 70s Show (where she was great), so yes, but faint praise. 

 

About halfway through and loving the supporting cast.  Morello, Red, Taystee, Pornstache, any one of them I'd be cool with seeing get a Supporting nomination.  It's not the simplest thing in the world to carve out such an immediately identifiable ensemble when they're all in identical smocks by necessity, and when the point of view character is so overwhelmed and similarly afraid of all of them to start out.

 

And Taylor Schilling has relaly grown on me.  She's pretty fantastic.

post #13 of 56

If you want to see some more Taylor Schilling, she stars in Atlas Shrugged: Part One!

 

Anyways, this show is fantastic so far, 6 episodes in.

 

14 years after American Pie, Jason Biggs is still doing masturbation jokes. His career has come full circle, like poetry, repeating a wacky masturbation motif.
 

Oh man, I had no idea Red was Janeway. There was something vaguely familiar about her, but it's been so long since Voyager, and she's changed shape a bit.

 

Morello is my favorite bit part. "Had Natash Lyonne's tongue in me" will make any resume sparkle.

post #14 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

If you want to see some more Taylor Schilling, she stars in Atlas Shrugged: Part One!

 

Anyways, this show is fantastic so far, 6 episodes in.

 

14 years after American Pie, Jason Biggs is still doing masturbation jokes. His career has come full circle, like poetry, repeating a wacky masturbation motif.
 

Oh man, I had no idea Red was Janeway. There was something vaguely familiar about her, but it's been so long since Voyager, and she's changed shape a bit.

 

Morello is my favorite bit part. "Had Natash Lyonne's tongue in me" will make any resume sparkle.

 

Pass on Atlas Shrugged

 

But Morello is wonderful.  If she didn't have me before, she was repping Joe Vs. The Volcano in the last episode I watched.  Preach!

post #15 of 56
I don't have anything insightful to add, but I'm still on a little high after finishing the season last night. Absolutely love this show.

I was frankly pretty unimpressed by HOUSE OF CARDS. Didn't even bother with HEMLOCK GROVE cause it sounded so bad. I thoroughly enjoyed the fourth season of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, but artistically speaking it's not actually a Netflix original. Now THIS show has actually convinced me that they show serious promise as producers of original programming.
post #16 of 56

Daaayum, that ending. It's going to be a long wait until next year, or whenever they get to make the next one.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I hope her sentence doesn't get extended by what happens in the last episode. It seems like they were already planning to do her 15 month sentence over 2 or 3 seasons, it's not like they need to stretch it out more. They could always timejump, though. And fuck you, Healy!

 

So, this is one of the best seasons of TV I've watched in a while. A few of the early crisis were a bit fluffy, but every show needs to work out its kinks at first. It was surprisingly involving all the way through, with a lot of perfectly executed hilarious moments that sneak up on you.

 

The cast of women prisoners all get their own funny moments as well as dark human drama, a tough balancing act for any show to pull off.

 

"Choc-late and va-nill-a, we makin' a swirl!"

 

Pornstache deserves a special shoutout. The actor did a great job giving him many shades and dimensions of skeeviness, not an easy or flattering role to play. I didn't realize until hitting up IMDB that he played Nick Sobotka on season 2 of The Wire, kind of a bland good guy character. 10 years of time and the titular 'stache made him unrecognizable.

 

It's cool to see a show with so many women of different ages and backgrounds in the main cast, all doing good work with good writing. I feel like this show would be a bigger deal in the media if it were on a cable network being shown sequentially, so the buzz and discussion would build on itself. That's the disadvantage of the Netflix model: they can only do so much outside advertising, and if the whole season is already out, then it's yesterday's news, according to the promotion/anticipation mentality of media coverage.

 

I want to see these gals on the cover of Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone or something. Maybe before season 2?

post #17 of 56
Holy crap, he seemed familiar to me but I couldn't quite place him and hasn't checked his filmography. Very different role.
post #18 of 56

So, I have marathoned this today. Man, this is a great show. It has some of the same odd ball dialogue that Weeds had, but the supporting characters are much, more likeable than Weeds's. There is a small Star Trek shout out when a character says she is Spock to Red's Kirk.  The flashbacks to fill in character bits have been great as well. I am on episode 10, so I will come back to talk about the last three episodes.

post #19 of 56
Quote:
I want to see these gals on the cover of Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone or something. Maybe before season 2?

The show wasn't eligible for the Emmys this go-round, but I think attention for it is only going to grow, especially going into Season 2.

 

Netflix's original stuff has been really interesting. Lilyhammer, House of Cards, the return of AD, Orange is the New Black, Hemlock Grove (oy) . . .  What a weird-ass lineup.

post #20 of 56
It's certainly diverse
post #21 of 56
Thread Starter 

This show is so well cast across the board (with the possible exception of Taryn Manning).  The principals are all perfect, with even non-chameleons like Laura Prepon and Jason Biggs having characters pitched to their particular strengths.  But the  new faces around the periphery, folks like Trish or Gina the mousey kitchen assistant or the female guard or Poussey (who by the way, has to have the most ridiculously expressive face in recorded history, right?) or Yoga Jones, are all just perfect.  I felt like I knew exactly who those people were after a single line.  Whichever award show it is that does Best Ensemble really needs to recognize.

post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Whichever award show it is that does Best Ensemble really needs to recognize.

Is that the Screen Actors Guild?

 

Did anybody else think Yoga Jones was a dead ringer for an emaciated Edie Falco?

post #23 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

Is that the Screen Actors Guild?

 

Did anybody else think Yoga Jones was a dead ringer for an emaciated Edie Falco?

 

Could be and definitely. 

 

It's hard to take any ensemble up against your Mad Mens and Games Of Throneses and Breakings Bad, but I think this one does it handily.  And with a mostly female, racially diverse, and unconventional-looking (read: not HAWT!) group to boot.  I was really impressed with the girl who plays Trish, who I don't think has done anything previously and gave a tremendously empathetic performance.

post #24 of 56

That final episode was just amazing, even before those last few moments.  The Christmas pageant was one of the most genuinely moving things I've seen on TV in a while, and totally earned by what we've seen of these characters over the past twelve episodes.  Just dynamite stuff.

post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

 

Did anybody else think Yoga Jones was a dead ringer for an emaciated Edie Falco?

 

I absolutely did. To the point I wondered if Edie Falco had taken a wrong turn. The cast is fantastic and ethnically diverse. I have to praise Lea Delaria's Carrie "Big Boo" Black.  She is a cross between Kathy Bates and Roseanne Barr. She reminds me of several women just like her that I worked with in kitchen restaurants. Immediately, you see her character and say "Bull Dyke," but she immediately reveals layers of character. Most of the supporting cast is played with great depth. I hope this picks up some awards.

 

During that Christmas episode, I kept thinking how strong an impact would that this show would have had if it had been broadcast weekly. To get the Thanksgiving episode the week before the holiday, then a couple of weeks to close on the Christmas episode. I love being able to binge watch, hell I did it on this show, but I can definitely see how it is still plotted in a way that a traditional season would be. 

 

I was not a fan of Lilyhammer, and didn't watch the Vampire/Twin Peaks show, but between House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and the revitalized Arrested Development, I really look forward to Netflix.

post #26 of 56

Yeah, Netflix is killing it. I had high hopes for House of Cards and Arrested Development and I felt they delivered. Then there was Hemlock Grove. Yeah. The less said, the better.

 

This has been by far the most pleasant surprise. I've never watched Weeds, so I really had no expectations going in and by the second episode, I was hooked. I watched the whole thing in three days. It may not have the "regal" Hollywood pedigree and feel House of Cards does but I found it no less compelling.

 

I'm excited for season two.

post #27 of 56
Yoga Jones = Patti Mayonnaise. Like, literally.
post #28 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Benenson View Post

Yoga Jones = Patti Mayonnaise. Like, literally.

 

Hahaha, NOW IT CANNOT BE UNSEEN

post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post

 

I absolutely did. To the point I wondered if Edie Falco had taken a wrong turn. The cast is fantastic and ethnically diverse. I have to praise Lea Delaria's Carrie "Big Boo" Black.  She is a cross between Kathy Bates and Roseanne Barr. She reminds me of several women just like her that I worked with in kitchen restaurants. Immediately, you see her character and say "Bull Dyke," but she immediately reveals layers of character. Most of the supporting cast is played with great depth. I hope this picks up some awards.

 

During that Christmas episode, I kept thinking how strong an impact would that this show would have had if it had been broadcast weekly. To get the Thanksgiving episode the week before the holiday, then a couple of weeks to close on the Christmas episode. I love being able to binge watch, hell I did it on this show, but I can definitely see how it is still plotted in a way that a traditional season would be. 

 

I was not a fan of Lilyhammer, and didn't watch the Vampire/Twin Peaks show, but between House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and the revitalized Arrested Development, I really look forward to Netflix.

 

Big Boo had one of my favorite arcs on the show, because she starts off seemingly hard as nails, then gets all bent out of shape about Tricia being with someone else.  You have her pegged as the (very loose) equivalent of Schillinger from Oz, the over-the-top menace, but then they do this remarkable job of softening her, first with her letting go of the Tricia thing, then Little Boo, then her reaction to what ultimately happens to Tricia.  You still see the flashes of toughness there, but it's not stereotypical in the least.

 

And they do that for damn near everyone.  The closest to cliche is Pennsatucky, and even then, they take the time to give her some backstory, and I kinda think Manning is just ripping that role up.

post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Benenson View Post

Yoga Jones = Patti Mayonnaise. Like, literally.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

 

Hahaha, NOW IT CANNOT BE UNSEEN

 

I like to think that Skeeter got her into the business, but Doug was too much of a boyscout and couldn't handle Patti raising crops. They had that wierd Harry Potter trio thing going on in college that led to a one night threesome on the drug farm. Doug freaked, Patti realized she didn't really love Skeeter more than a friend, and resigned herself to a life of friends with benefits with him. Of course, he manages to fall into a PHISH tour group and Patti was living all alone on the dope farm.

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

 

Big Boo had one of my favorite arcs on the show, because she starts off seemingly hard as nails, then gets all bent out of shape about Tricia being with someone else.  You have her pegged as the (very loose) equivalent of Schillinger from Oz, the over-the-top menace, but then they do this remarkable job of softening her, first with her letting go of the Tricia thing, then Little Boo, then her reaction to what ultimately happens to Tricia.  You still see the flashes of toughness there, but it's not stereotypical in the least.

 

And they do that for damn near everyone.  The closest to cliche is Pennsatucky, and even then, they take the time to give her some backstory, and I kinda think Manning is just ripping that role up.

 

Exactly. I have no issues with Pennsatucky. I don't even think she is a religous zealot. The motives are about her. Claiming religious zealotry gave her a fan base and adoration, first in court, then later in prison. She only killed the woman in the abortion clinic because the woman said bad things to her. She only gets religion after she sees how it makes her seem important. After she gets put in the pysch ward, she loses that fan base in the prison. Note that she only has the one follower and nearly gives up religion at that point, as it seems to have depowered her. If she gets Chapman to convert, then Pennsatucky regains that power. So, after some hard thinking and Chapman saying fuck it to religion, she decides to do the exact same thing she did to get that fan base and adoration the first time.  Religion is only the cloak which she wraps her narcissism in.

 

Which is why Taystee is ultimately right. She is a little person in a little body, go beat her head in. Speaking of Taystee, I love how we don't get a backstory on her in flashback. She is one of those poor souls who have been trapped in the system since a kid. The little glimpse of an outside world is all we need to make her return that much powerful in the scene with her and Puse`.

 

My only complaint, and this is kinda minor, is that some of the crimes we have seen in flashback don't explain why they are in federal prison. Obviously credit card fraud, drug money running, violating federal nuclear weapons sites (I live and work in Oak Ridge, and we just had 3 protesters arrested this year for this very thing), and probable human trafficking get you federal time, but I don't know what the rest have done to get there.

post #32 of 56
I definitely think Manning does a good job as Pennsatucky. And although the character starts off as somewhat cartoonish comic relief and villain (which is fine with me, by the way), the show ultimately establishes her motives and backstory so that the she and her actions make sense in a more real way.

I think the real difference is that she's one of the only characters on the show who the writers/producer don't seem to empathize with, at least not as much as the others. She and Pornstache are really the only ones who come across as truly bad people rather than flawed ones. Even Dayanara's mom, who is detestable a lot of the time, has some redeemable moments.

On the other hand, you do come to understand why Tucky does what she does. It's a combination of her being dumb/drug addled and being supported and empowered in the wrong way at the wrong time by arguably the wrong people, and that power goes to her head. But that's on an unconscious level. I'm sure she really believes she's right(eous). So I guess there is a glimmer of empathy for her. At the very least she's sort of pitiable.

Pornstache, though. He's a pure fucker. And the warden's assistant/representative lady (Figeroa?). It'll be interesting to see if they try or succeed to humanize them at all in the future.

EDIT: I forgot about Tucky's stint in the psych unit. I definitely felt bad for her then. It's just unfortunate (though, I suppose, understandable) that she ends up being even worse after getting out. And it's important to remember that her violent turn comes after a visit from the Evangelical lawyer who made her think that violence can be righteous.
Edited by Dan Benenson - 7/23/13 at 5:01pm
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

But Morello is wonderful.  If she didn't have me before, she was repping Joe Vs. The Volcano in the last episode I watched.  Preach!

 

Sold!

post #34 of 56
Thread Starter 

THUD review

 

I liked it, in case you hadn't picked up on that.

post #35 of 56
Very nice review. Gets you in without spoiling.


The conversation about how we view and talk about shows like this is good one. I binged the hell out of this, but my friends are slowly just meandering through. It is hard to generate conversation, other than "It's awesome, watch it" and "Just wait till you get to Episode 7!"
post #36 of 56
Thread Starter 

Seeing as how the review got 100+ more likes than anything else I've ever done for THUD, maybe the show isn't having such a hard time breaking into the cultural conversation as I thought.  Still, I do wonder if Netflix isn't shooting itself in the foot somewhat with it's all-at-once release model.  It sure seemed like talk about Arrested Development S4 died off a lot sooner than the 14 weeks it would've taken to play out at a weekly pace, didn't it?

 

Of course, imitating a weekly network pace isn't the greatest idea ever, as binge-watching is a big part of what makes Netflix's brand.  I wonder if after they're more established, they won't start playing around a little more.  Might we see a 22 episode season dropped in chunks of 3-4 episodes at a time?  I'm trying to think of something that allows for a degree of binging but does more to set a common pace of viewing that casual viewers can keep up with.

post #37 of 56
Really great feature on Laverne Cox, who plays Sophia, the transgendered female convict, in the show. I was rather impressed with her and especially in episode 3 her struggle was so compelling and interesting. I'm glad she is getting some attention she deserves it, felt she was going rather unnoticed so I'm happy to see The Daily Beast give her credit.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/07/17/transgender-characters-get-a-transformative-moment-on-netflix-s-orange-is-the-new-black.html
post #38 of 56

It was hard enough to keep track of everything going on in AD that it almost had to be binge-watched. In hindsight, I think Hurwitz shot himself in the foot a bit by making those opening episodes so obtuse. I really enjoyed the season, but I understand why a lot of people were frustrated. It was such an insular season of television, for AD die-hards only.

 

This, however, feels closer to the weekly episodic model than AD, and is much more condusive to word of mouth. Based on your Facebook likes, it certainly seems that this show is becoming, if not a phenomenon, then at the very least Netflix's most successful show.

post #39 of 56
Thread Starter 

Whether or not it ultimately does better in a "ratings" sense than the rest, it does seem to be their first real original success.  House Of Cards was a remake of a British show, and Arrested Development was essentially a sequel. 

 

Which is great, I think, as an emboldened Netflix can only serve to shake up the industry and get them to figure out a ratings metric for the streaming/DVR age that is not as comically outdated as the Nielsen system.  And if they make some more good shows in the process, well that's pretty swell too.

post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Whether or not it ultimately does better in a "ratings" sense than the rest, it does seem to be their first real original success.  House Of Cards was a remake of a British show, and Arrested Development was essentially a sequel. 

 

Which is great, I think, as an emboldened Netflix can only serve to shake up the industry and get them to figure out a ratings metric for the streaming/DVR age that is not as comically outdated as the Nielsen system.  And if they make some more good shows in the process, well that's pretty swell too.

Agreed. (Great column, by the way)

 

From an anecdotal standpoint, I've talked about this series much more than their other shows. The excitement at AD's launch seems to have dissipated, while I keep hearing more and more folks talking about this. Deservedly so, as it's terrific.

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Seeing as how the review got 100+ more likes than anything else I've ever done for THUD, maybe the show isn't having such a hard time breaking into the cultural conversation as I thought.  Still, I do wonder if Netflix isn't shooting itself in the foot somewhat with it's all-at-once release model.  It sure seemed like talk about Arrested Development S4 died off a lot sooner than the 14 weeks it would've taken to play out at a weekly pace, didn't it?

 

Of course, imitating a weekly network pace isn't the greatest idea ever, as binge-watching is a big part of what makes Netflix's brand.  I wonder if after they're more established, they won't start playing around a little more.  Might we see a 22 episode season dropped in chunks of 3-4 episodes at a time?  I'm trying to think of something that allows for a degree of binging but does more to set a common pace of viewing that casual viewers can keep up with.

I don't know if they can go back to the old way now that they have gotten people used to "all at once". 

 

Anyway im only on episode 5 but im loving this way more than I thought. Really helps wash the taste of Hemlock Grove from my mouth.

post #42 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

Agreed. (Great column, by the way)

 

From an anecdotal standpoint, I've talked about this series much more than their other shows. The excitement at AD's launch seems to have dissipated, while I keep hearing more and more folks talking about this. Deservedly so, as it's terrific.

AD was a weird case where the buzz had built up for years, such that it really could only go down once it debuted.  Whereas this felt like it came out of nowhere, and starting more or less at zero, has been more able to build word of mouth in a traditional sense.  Deservedly, as you say.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

I don't know if they can go back to the old way now that they have gotten people used to "all at once".

 

True, but I wonder if chopping up the "all" into finer bits is feasible.  HBO just sort of decided that a season of its shows could be 8 or 12 episodes back when 22+ was the standard, and Netflix is even less tied to the concerns of building a programming schedule with it's big dump model.  Could it get away with having a show with a 10 episode first season, followed by a 4 episode second, and a 7 episode third?  I don't really see why not, except that starting and stopping production has to be more expensive.  Not that they really have to stop between the second and third season in that hypothetical.  I don't know, I'm just spitballing here as to the possibilities now that they seem comfortable being untethered from a traditional release calendar.

post #43 of 56

I've seen three episodes and I mainly like it; though, and from the praise this show has been getting, I hope I enjoy it much more as I go through the season. I think what's throwing me off is just the structure of the show and how it seems to randomly go into flashbacks without seemingly and rhyme or reason. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but it doesn't really gel with me. And while I agree that Taylor Schilling is pretty great, I don't find her character particularly intresting (hence why I might be bothered by the show's use of flashbacks). Though Sophia's episode marked the point where I went from "it's alright" to "I like it," so I have faith I'll agree with you guys by the time I'm done with it.

post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

 I think what's throwing me off is just the structure of the show and how it seems to randomly go into flashbacks without seemingly and rhyme or reason.

This threw me off a bit as well. I thought the flashbacks were going to be in that Lost format where one character's story is the foundation of a full episode, but they don't really work that way.

post #45 of 56

Also, the theme song sort of bums me out if only because it reminds of Weeds infinitely catchier song.

 

"Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tackey. Little boxes on the hillshide, little boxes all the same..."

post #46 of 56
The theme song is fantastic.
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Benenson View Post

The theme song is fantastic.

Yeah, Ska Oreo, you are insane. The OitNB theme is great.

I liked the Weeds theme until the show moved away from Agrestic. It lists its connection after that.
post #48 of 56
Thread Starter 

The theme song is great.

 

The flashbacks aren't nearly as big of an element as they were in LOST.  They're heaviest in the early going, but I wouldn't say they ever account for more than 25% of an episode. 

 

Piper took awhile to grow on me, but it's really the supporting cast that make me love the show.

post #49 of 56

They started production on Season 2 already. That's the kind of pace I like.

post #50 of 56

Just finished it. Wow the was EXACTLY the way to end the season. Piper has had a hell of a couple months, that's for sure. 

 

One thing I find interesting is that Piper Kerman's book only contains the foundation and a few other things from the show, everything else, including Alex being in with her is fabricated. From the reviews I read Kerman writes the book from a fairly condescending place, again according to reviews. What is interesting to me is that the writers seem to be taking that tone into account when they write Piper as a character, something I am not sure Kerman intended. Or maybe im talking out of my ass, anyone read the book?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Orange Is The New Black